Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A guide to Autism and Panic attacks. Open to all

sunshinegiraffe123 November 16th, 2019

Hi. I've gotten some members who ask me what happens when I have a meltdown or some that appear shy to talk to me when I'm in one. I have had listeners who refuse to talk to me because they end up getting confused. I've had mods who get very confused due to not knowing the way to interact with me. Hopefully this will help you all out! - Allie

sunshinegiraffe123 OP November 16th, 2019

@Gracey

Gracey November 16th, 2019

I have recently started supporting Allie @sunshinegiraffe123 and we have been discussing the fact that a lot of listeners are unsure how to support someone with autism when they are having a meltdown. We have worked together to come up with some information that might help

What is Autism?

Autism is a developmental disability that is lifelong. It can affect how people perceive the world and interact with others.

What is a meltdown?

According to National Autistic Society A meltdown is ‘an intense response to overwhelming situations. It happens when someone becomes completely overwhelmed by their current situation and temporarily loses behavioural control. This loss of control can be expressed verbally (eg shouting, screaming, crying), physically (eg kicking, lashing out, biting) or in both ways.

Many autistic people will show signs of distress before having a meltdown, which is sometimes referred to as the rumble stage. They may start to exhibit signs of anxiety such as pacing, seek reassurance through repetitive questioning or physical signs such as rocking or becoming very still.

What can I do to help?

Here are some tips for when you are chatting to a member/guest with Autism who is having a panic attack or meltdown or starting to meltdown -

Dos

- Offer to send them a PM if they are in a chatroom or forum

- Stay very calm

- Be patient

- Provide a safe space for them to express their emotions

- Ask if there is anything you can do to help

- Send short messages that are easy to read

- Use familiar and repetitive language

- Remind them to take slow and deep breaths

- Reassure them that this will pass

- Reassure them that you are there for them and that they are ok

- Let them have their moment, but be there for support as sometimes they get confused

- Seek support yourself if you need it from someone who has more experience

Do nots

- Send long, hard to read messages

- Force them to open up or answer questions

- Use sarcastic language

- Be offended if they shout or become mad

- Shout at them or be annoyed with them because of their behaviour

- Threaten to report them to a mod for freaking out as this can make them worse

Any questions, feel free to comment or send me a message!

Useful links:

- National Autistic Society - Meltdowns

- National Autistic Society - What is autism?

- National Autistic Society - Communication

reddotonblack November 17th, 2019

@Gracey

This is very helpful and structured and am grateful that someone describes it to people so we may be better understood and be together with other people...thank you for a proffessional window insight into our conditions...

sunshinegiraffe123 OP March 4th, 2021

@RoryK here.

March 4th, 2021

thanks! i’ll send it around (:

sunshinegiraffe123 OP March 4th, 2021

@knockoffWolf

sunshinegiraffe123 OP July 21st, 2021

Hello commods and mods,

I have spoken to a few people who have agreed with me mainly listeners, that they don't have the training to handle a meltdown or don't know how to approach someone who is on the spectrum. This is something I shoudve done a while ago, but I never did it. I'm not asking for training to be done with the listeners, I'm just asking if you guys can read and leave a message below either saying read, or with a question that I'll answer, as you all are the people listeners look up to. I hope to bring more awareness to this guide as the support plus community grows as well.

Also, a meltdown is not a crisis, Meltdowns and crisis situations are two different things. Crisis involves being asked to contact an outside source, meltdowns involve someone being there to support the person who is having a meltdown.

Tagging : ​​​​​​​@DrDonut @Andyallen @Bluelotus99 @Happy900 @Fristo @bubbles2025 @sia1325 @CommunityModElliot @CommunityModAaron @CommunityModAlex @CommunityModAnne @CommunityModJennie @CommunityModCharlie @CommunityModEllie @CommunityModMorgan @CommunityModParker @CommunityModLynn @CommunityModRobin @CommunityModSage @Richuyulin @kieran000 @jovialButterfly6752 @amiablePeace77 @LuLuRings @EmmaE @mamtasha22 @sia1325 @ASilentObserver @Gozzil @soulsings @Kara13V @gentleSun78 @azuladragon34 @caringPanda45 @Bubbles2025 @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @vivelespatates @StarlitSky4762 @AnnaTess @considerateParadise6717 @DreamTouch @KateDoskocilova @Tyedyedbutterfly65 @SuryanshSingh @Anna706 @CheeryMango @DonaldDraper @PeaceLoveandPaws @Sher217 @Isentropic @whenitsdarklookforstars @Amy @Greenchoice1 @Rhlexia520 @kindSoul10 @cuteOrange213 @LoveLilly @CompassionateDreamer8522 @AlwaysEli @Listeningsarinn @musicalHarmony @glowingHeart4796 @starryskies108 @compassionateTree4567 @blitheEmbrace27 @Asher @Mankka @Anusha @optimisticDay8079 @hopedreamlove @SummerBreeze00 @brilliantTurtle89 @CaringBrit @Mimi @pamharley003 @enchantedlove @WeedyGarden @PoliteOcean @EvelyneRose @KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC @competentParadise6344 @Jenna @RebekahRoyal @crystalclearnow @rachsxo @Lysandra @VerseArt @shiningSky3745 @7CupsCommunity @SoulfullyAButterfly @RumpleSteeleSkin @Azalea98 @Samar27 @leafycup @Erica @bouncyVoice4149 @bookworm4 @Clara139175 @rebecca947 @Ines1229 @JessHobson @MistyMagic @rhlvrma94 @River @AriJoseph @MidwesternCalmSeeker @lemonbot @Calmingmermaid5761 @LoveLilly @OliviaWilson5 @HelpfulGem04 @astro0koala240 @itssoren @DigitalKnight @kindLemonade

azuladragon34 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Read. Thanks for the post Allie.

@azuladragon34
Your welcome. Any questions?

azuladragon34 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Nope. I very much understood the whole thing.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
hello Allie , nice to meet y'all ❤
This looks like a great guide to work on , I do agree we can always try and improve our ways to support members with diverse conditions.

Thankyou for initiating , your time , efforts and considerate thoughts are super appreciated . ❤

Subscribing to this thread for updates 😊

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Youre welcome. Any questions? Nice to meet you as well.

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Youre welcome. Any questions? Nice to meet you as well.

DrDonut July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Read. Thank you for tagging us and bringing awareness! I hope this can be expanded on. Would like to see it go through

@DrDonut

pamharley003 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
I have read your post and I do help all who come to me whether to just refresh their memory or answer a question with links if possible to their concerns. I love help anyone who comes to me because it makes me feel I can make that Listener comfortable in their roles.

@pamharley003
Thats great to hear Pam. I truly appreciate you.

@pamharley003
Thats great to hear Pam. I truly appreciate you.

pamharley003 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Your welcome, if I can be of any help anywhere please let me know

rachsxo July 21st, 2021

Read! Thank you for sharing.

@rachsxo

KatePersephone July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 read, thanks a lot for this! although i still dont feel confident enough to provide support to a person with autism because its way too hard for me to support someone i cant relate to 😅

@KateDoskocilova
Theres a lot of resources out there as well that can help! Feel free to reach out to me if you want some. I'm going to be adding more to the forum thread as well.

July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
Read! Thanks

@calmingMermaid5761
Thank you. Any questions?

July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
Nope! (:

Kara13V July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Hello! I have read, thank you. <3

@Kara13V
Thabk you. Any questions?

considerateParadise6717 July 21st, 2021

Thank you for this @sunshinegiraffe123 It is something really important to remember! I have read it all!

@considerateParadise6717
Thank you. Any questions?

July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 Noted, thank you!

@LuLuRings
Any questions?

July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 No, thank you though.

@LuLuRings
Your welcome.

July 21st, 2021

Read. A guide in this aspect would definitely be useful.

@richuyulin
Any questions?

July 21st, 2021

No questions at the moment, thank you though.

@richuyulin
Your welcome.

Happy900 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 I read the post and no questions at this time.

@Happy900
Alright, Thanks for reading.