Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A guide to Autism and Panic attacks. Open to all

sunshinegiraffe123 November 16th, 2019

Hi. I've gotten some members who ask me what happens when I have a meltdown or some that appear shy to talk to me when I'm in one. I have had listeners who refuse to talk to me because they end up getting confused. I've had mods who get very confused due to not knowing the way to interact with me. Hopefully this will help you all out! - Allie

Happy900 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 I know what it is like to be disabiled.
I have a learning disability.

sunshinegiraffe123 OP July 21st, 2021

@Happy900
I actually don't view myself as disabled, I view it as an exceptionality and sometimes a gift.

HelpfulGem04 July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Hello! Thank you for this lovely post. May I have some links (if you have any you recommend) on how to help people during a meltdown? I would love to give people the correct support if I ever come across someone who needs it <3

@HelpfulGem04
Yeah, I'll send them to you through my listener account.

Rebekah July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123, read.

@RebekahRoyal
Thabk you!

Greenchoice1 July 21st, 2021

Thanks for tagging me, I read it and understood it. Green. 💚

sunshinegiraffe123 OP July 22nd, 2021

@Greenchoice1
yiur welcome, thanks for reading.

Gozzil July 21st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Read! Thank you for sharing this helpful information. I don't have any questions right now, but if I think of any I'll come back and ask them.

@Gozzil
Alroght! Thanks for reading.

@Gozzil
Alroght! Thanks for reading.

rebecca947 July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
Read, thank you for the post and tag! And no questions.

@rebecca947
Thabks for reading.

blitheEmbrace27 July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Read! Thank you for sharing and for this information ❤️

@blitheEmbrace27
Tnank you! Any questions?

soulsings July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 thanks for the post.

What is a meltdown and what does it look like online.

@soulsings

@soulsings

A meltdown is ‘an intense response to overwhelming situations. And for your second question, online it can look like spamming and purposely triggering others, however that is completely wrong. I don't mean to spam, it just comes naturally if people don't intervene. I don't mean to trigger others, I'm upset myself during them and I don't process emotions when I'm freaking out.

soulsings July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 thanks for clarifying meltdown.

So it sounds like normal social skills are overridden by attempt to distract from the real problem. That must be difficult.

Hope you get more support and understanding from members and listeners of the 7cups community.

sunshinegiraffe123 OP August 9th, 2021

@soulsings
i do my best.

soulsings August 9th, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 that is all anyone can reasonably expect from themselves.

Sher217 July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123
Read, and I don't have questions but would like to offer a perspective.

As listeners and /or mods take steps to learn how to handle a meltdown, I think it's also important for anyone on the Spectrum to take steps to prepare to receive help prior to meltdowns. This can be done by talking openly about what their individual triggers are, their preferred methods for being talked through a meltdown (what helps them most), and any stims they are aware that they have. I think it's important to reach out to a preferred listener (who knows this information about them) if they recognize that they are stimming, instead of waiting until full meltdown occurs.

I love that Cups is a place that takes an interest in learning about the Spectrum and ways to support people on the Spectrum! I think by taking steps, by both those on the Spectrum and listeners, we can meet in a kind and understanding way to offer and receive support.

~ Sher

@Sher217
Thanks for reading and about your perspective - I list all my triggers in my profile for the sole purpose of there all in one spot. My stims are mainly just three - stuttering, saying mmmm or saying ababab.
I can best be helped by reassuring and people understanding that me having a meltdown isn't role play. Also by people prompting me to take deep breaths and offering choices.
About the preferred listener - it depends on the listeners availability, I know my preferred listener is currently unavailable as shes super busy, so it's all about finding temporary help in these situations.

July 22nd, 2021

Read it. Thanks for posting Allie!!

enchantedlove July 22nd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 thanks for making this post! i think as with many matters it can be hard for some listeners and easier for others! there are so many different topics out there so raising awareness and providing support can be crucial, thank you for sharing! take care an have a lovely day!

mamtasha22 July 23rd, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 thanks for the post would love to know more about it Red heart

whenitsdarklookforstars July 24th, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Allie, I think it is such a great thing to raise awareness on topics like these that we as listeners sometimes are not as educated about. Do you have any resources that you believe might help us better support those going through a situation like this? Thank you so much 🤗

sunshinegiraffe123 OP July 24th, 2021

@whenitsdarklookforstars
I do. I'll send them or post them later :)

July 31st, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123

Thank you for raising awareness. I would love to read more if you have links.
Also, maybe you can reach out to content volunteering team and they might be able to help you advance the topic further.

IceCream4IceCream August 1st, 2021

@DonaldDraper

tagging @SoulfullyAButterfly (content volunteer team CML). I'm happy to help pitch in with writing such an article or answering relevant Q&As.

Support Plus covers Autism <3 :) Sunshine, would you be okay if this thread was moved to Support Plus?

@sunshinegiraffe123

August 1st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 Thank you Jovi for the helping hand Grinning

SoulfullyAButterfly August 1st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 you are more than welcome to!

sunshinegiraffe123 OP August 9th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752
Sure!

IceCream4IceCream August 9th, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 It is now within the support plus sub-community! I am grateful for this detailed resource :) Thank you for sharing with us!

rrretsuko August 16th, 2021

@sunshinegiraffe123 allie, these posts are very useful and great resources, thank you so much for tagging me. i'll be sure to save these and also to remember this information even when i don't have it right in front of me. thank you so much !

sunshinegiraffe123 OP August 16th, 2021

@rrretsuko
Your very welcome!

audienta April 5th, 2022

Thank you for writing this @sunshinegiraffe123 and @Gracey. I think that's a really important post.

sunshinegiraffe123 OP April 6th, 2022

@audienta

It is a really important post 💜💜. Im so glad @Gracey was willing to write this up. It’s changed how some people view me and autism in general.

@RebekahRoyal retagged

barncat July 22nd, 2021

@Gracey- thank you for this post about autism. Met many people on the spectrum- useful information.

@barncat
Im not Gracey but I'm glad.