Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #5) Approaching Conflict Resolution: Dealing with Issues Directly

Heather225 August 7th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Any  community is going to go through challenges and sometimes people are going to be in conflict with one another or have disagreements. All of that is okay and should be welcomed and even expected. The trick is to figure out what is the best way to address these issues so that we can continue to grow individually and as a community. Most ethical codes for professions recommend approaching the person that you have an issue with to try to resolve it with them first. If you feel safe and comfortable, then that is the best way to go. Here are some other helpful guidelines for conflict resolution brought to you by @Tazzie (original post)!

â  Step back and slow down
â  Avoid repeating unhelpful behaviors in conflicts.
â  Habits can be changed through awareness.
â  Think before you put your words across in order to avoid something that will escalate the conflict.

â  Show clarity regarding your intentions and goals for the conversation
â  Avoid blaming or changing another person's point of view.
â  Listen to learn something new and express your views and feelings professionally.

â  Avoid assumptions and ask questions to explore the other persons story
â  Listen to the person on the opposite end as they will more likely try to understand you.
â  Do not convince them you are right.
â  Be aware of potential barriers to listening.

â  Express your feelings without holding the other person accountable for the conflict
â  Use I statements to express yourself.
â  State a feeling rather than judging.

â  Be responsible for your assumptions
â  On the internet, messages can be interpreted in several ways. To think that your beliefs and conclusions about  others are the truth, will only escalate the conflict.
â  Share your interpretation of the messages received.

â  Find a common ground
â Reaching a common ground will make it easier to resolve the conflict and will diffuse defensiveness.

-

Question time!

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?
2.)  Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 17th, 2021

@SynSavory Thanks and yes ! smiley

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Very thoughtful answers. I really loved your tips. Your answers express the rich experience you have in these issues. I hope to learn from you. I wish you the best in your journey ahead, Tye!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 14th, 2020

@shiningSound31 Thank you so much !! appreciate your commenting on my post !

Tyeheart

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

heartangelheart

@shiningSound31 Thanks !! smileyheart

peacefulWarrior10 October 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Useful points from a mediator's perspective! Thanks!

@peacefulWarrior10 Thank so much !

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 true!

@kateaala Thank you ! :)

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

that is a good explaination :))

@beautifulSeal9714 Thank you !

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 This makes so much sense, I loved the tip on accountability too

Tyedyedbutterfly65 April 15th, 2021

@Readylisteneryes Thank you ! good luck , Tyesmiley

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Well-explained and really insightful !

shiningDay80 August 28th, 2020

@Heather225

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?

- I actually was the third person between my sister and our mom. They had a conflict with each other and I got them both together and opened the floor for discussion. I gave one the opportunity to express their concerns without the other one interrupting and then vice versa. They were able to resolve it and come up with future solutions.

2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

- Make sure each person is listening to understand whether than to respond. When listening to respond, the message the other person was trying to send will feel like it went in one ear and out the other and then another problem may arise.

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@shiningDay80

heart Listening is very important! Thank you heart

KindnessMatters2020 October 9th, 2020

@shiningDay80

You sound like a natural born mediator! Well done with your mom and sister and showing that listening is the first step to resolution :)

CheeryMango August 28th, 2020

@Heather225

Yes I have. I resolved it by finding common ground between the individual and I and we agreed to longer discuss the matter at hand.

2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

The use of active listening skills, having patience and always maintaining open communication

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@CheeryMango

heart Nice one! It s a great answer. heart

softMusic9759 August 28th, 2020

Yes! Sometimes my mom and dad get into small arguments over something trivial and I'm always there trying to help them sort it out. Most of these arguments stem from misunderstanding and I try to sort this out by hearing both sides and making sure both of them understand the other's thought process. This brings me to my second point - always try to listen to the other person! It's hard, I know, but the argument might become something bigger and much more unwanted if you don't listen to the other person!

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

heart Amazing! They are lucky to have you. heart

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

@softMusic9759

I certainly agree with you and I think it's great that you can bring out the middle ground between your parents.

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

heart Hello! How are you doing? heart

heart I did! I applied the conflict resolution guides, and I eventually solved it. heart

heart Make a sincere compliment. This keeps calm and builds a more positive environment. heart

PeaceLoveandPaws August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it? Not here but yes, I have been in a conflict with a co-worker. In this situation, it was a co-worker who refused to participate in a particular team event and the team believed she was unwilling to participate because she didn't wan to interact with us; that perhaps she disliked us and they were resentful of her absence in these team building social events. As the team leader, I approched the co-worker who did not participate in a respectful way. The explanation was this co-worker had several food allergies and didn't participate to avoid any type of reaction. She was glad someone asked what her reason was rather than assuming she was unsocial. The team was releived to hear she really did want to participate in team building. As a solution, we planned social events and team building that she could participate in fully. It was a great experience for the team.
2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution? Kindness, openmindedness, and being respectful are necessary to avoid conflict. Don't assume because assumptions are based on personal judgement and are bias in our favor.

azuladragon34 August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?: I haven't been in any conflict resolution situation but if I was in one, I would resolve it by listening to others' points of view
2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?: More listening, less talking

Sandson September 4th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Those are great points. Could you maybe elaborate a little on both of them?

blissart August 31st, 2020

@Heather225

i resolved the conflict by stepping back, gaining a different perspective and finding a common ground

Sometimes humor works too

KindnessMatters2020 October 9th, 2020

@blissart

Love your suggestion about finding a common ground, that can be so powerful in resolving conflict :) Thank you for reminding us of that important point.

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@blissart Humour is always a great tool :)

lyricalSea85 November 1st, 2021

@blissart

Humor! What a lovely approach. One that I often use myself too.

bookworm274 August 31st, 2020

@Heather225

1) At school, there are often cases of conflict which have typically occurred from miscommunication. I tend to be introduced as the third party but refuse to participate in the conflict. What I do, is encourage the two people to talk to one another, instead of me, calmly and figure out what happened and how it can be solved.

2) I think everything thats been mentioned here is pretty spot on. Like I said in my answer to question 1, simply calmly talking about it and listening to one another can really help with conflicts. When it doesnt, I agree with some of the other comments on here about finding a mutual target and working from there.

shiningDay80 September 1st, 2020

@bookworm274

It's great that you encouraged them to talk to each other instead of dragging you in the middle of it. It can get complicated when that happens. Good for you for holding your ground. smiley

QuietMagic September 6th, 2020

@bookworm274 That feels so true that sometimes there's just a misunderstanding and talking to the other person and realizing that certain assumptions about their thoughts/feelings/motivations weren't true can resolve hurt feelings.

positivePumpkin22 September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

So far, I have been so fortunate to not be on either side of a conflict on 7cups and I wish it would remain that way. I am somebody who go to great lengths to avoid any kind of conflict. But yes in real life, I have been through few. I tend to be alert and think a lot before speaking during a conflict, also I try my best to not do or say anything that would provoke even more disturbing reactions from the opponent. I sometimes back off and try to talk to them when they are calmer and strive to find a common and fair ground where we can stand for everyone's good.

Recently I got into a conflict with mother and one thing my dad told me is to communicate more. Most often than not, we always have best intentions but everyone might not be so aware of what our intentions are. Thus we need to communicate whats on my mind, the more we communicate, the more they understand us.

Also giving them space to breath, think, and calm down and talk to them when they are ready to listen to your point of view

MistyMagic September 2nd, 2020

@positivePumpkin22 I love your answer especially this bit

I sometimes back off and try to talk to them when they are calmer and strive to find a common and fair ground where we can stand for

Listening - One Step At A Time!

positivePumpkin22 September 2nd, 2020

@MistyMagic

thank you Misty. I'm so glad you loved my answer.

heart

QuietMagic September 6th, 2020

@positivePumpkin22 That makes a lot of sense that expressing your own feelings (once you feel comfortable that you can do it in a non-provocative way and that the other person is calm enough to receive feelings) might help them be able to see your side and relate to it.

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

Yes! I work in customer service, so I have to resolve conflict quite often and help both the employees and the store improve on what we need to.
I don't think so!

Sandson September 4th, 2020

@smolecho

I used to work in customer service as well! Would you like to tell me about an example in your customer service work where you had a Conflict resolution situation and how you resolved it?

smolecho September 7th, 2020

@Aleks2

Well, as a manager I need to make sure all of the employees are polite. There have been times when my employees are doing perfect and are acting the way they should be, and customers still get mad about it. At that point, the best thing to do is allow the customer to vent it out and provide resources or alternative options for them to take