Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #5) Approaching Conflict Resolution: Dealing with Issues Directly

Heather225 August 7th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Any  community is going to go through challenges and sometimes people are going to be in conflict with one another or have disagreements. All of that is okay and should be welcomed and even expected. The trick is to figure out what is the best way to address these issues so that we can continue to grow individually and as a community. Most ethical codes for professions recommend approaching the person that you have an issue with to try to resolve it with them first. If you feel safe and comfortable, then that is the best way to go. Here are some other helpful guidelines for conflict resolution brought to you by @Tazzie (original post)!

â  Step back and slow down
â  Avoid repeating unhelpful behaviors in conflicts.
â  Habits can be changed through awareness.
â  Think before you put your words across in order to avoid something that will escalate the conflict.

â  Show clarity regarding your intentions and goals for the conversation
â  Avoid blaming or changing another person's point of view.
â  Listen to learn something new and express your views and feelings professionally.

â  Avoid assumptions and ask questions to explore the other persons story
â  Listen to the person on the opposite end as they will more likely try to understand you.
â  Do not convince them you are right.
â  Be aware of potential barriers to listening.

â  Express your feelings without holding the other person accountable for the conflict
â  Use I statements to express yourself.
â  State a feeling rather than judging.

â  Be responsible for your assumptions
â  On the internet, messages can be interpreted in several ways. To think that your beliefs and conclusions about  others are the truth, will only escalate the conflict.
â  Share your interpretation of the messages received.

â  Find a common ground
â Reaching a common ground will make it easier to resolve the conflict and will diffuse defensiveness.

-

Question time!

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?
2.)  Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

November 6th, 2022

@KimByeongIn

steping back and allowing a cooling off time is important to let the talks continue once things calm down.

Here4good74 September 11th, 2022

@Heather225

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?

I've been once. I tried to listen to each side and validate their feelings and points of view. I tried using de-escalating techniques in order to calm down the environment.

2.)  Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

I think having another person to handle this situation besides us and our help, can be helpful, maybe asking for a mod to help.

Mari228 September 14th, 2022

@Heather225

.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?

I have been in conflict with my family before usually if they talk about something I don’t agree with and sometimes I get emotional at that moment to properly say how I feel. But I’ve been practicing this little by little and it would at least not build up the tension but even after I day my feelings if they continue on I would take a step back and just acknowledge their feelings as well.

One tip that might not be included is to first get a deeper understanding of the other party’s feelings if they start the conflict before reacting and saying something back. If you are the one feeling the want to start further conflict, to imagine how the situation would look like if you lingered it and making the choice to change that situation by taking deep breaths and doing what a true leader would do.

yourbuddy30 October 7th, 2022

@Heather225 Have you ever been on the other side of conflict resolution? How did you solve it?

Yes, I did have a conversation where mine and the member's views didn't really match (during a session) my perspective on things. It was resolved as I took a step back and tried understanding their point of view rather than proving my point and hurting them or increasing the conflict.

Stepping into someone else's shoes or understanding their point of view is something we can do to resolve a conflict. We all have different views and perspectives, and it is not necessary to always have someone agreeing to us. So, we can take a step back, give others the chance to explain, try and understand and resolve the conflict

November 6th, 2022

@yourbuddy30

I really like the idea of trying to step into someone shoes to see things better.

iCareUK October 17th, 2022

@Heather225

1) Conflict resolution is aimed at listening to both sides, if there is a conflict, there is disagreement where one or both parties are not listening or taking any action, as a mediator (although I work with children) it is important to it down both parties, listen to both sides whilst ensuring the other party is quiet whilst the other speaks, even is cases of disagreement, and from there, I would ask both parties for any ideas on how we can resolve the situation.

Conflict resolution doesn't always have a happy ending, but it aims to settle differences

November 6th, 2022

1 not in real life but on cups . I had to step back to calm down and then we were able to talk it out. Now we are on good terms

2 step back and allow a cooling off period. Be opened minded about the problem and willing to work together to find a solution to the problem.

IShiFood November 6th, 2022

CosmicMiracle November 10th, 2022
Yes in several instances (work, family, friendships, online platforms). I made sure to ease the tension first and acknowledge each point of view before pointing out the common ground. This is to help everyone remember that we are all in the space together for similar reasons. From there, I start asking questions about their point of view again and for them to state it in a calmer manner and do the same to the other party; once that’s done, I highlight the points where they align and work from there.

Detach yourself emotionally from the situation :)
zareya November 17th, 2022

@Heather225

Yes, I had the friends/members of the group create a group chat to communicate their feelings and issues with each other to figure out how to be better and stop the conflict.

Listening to each other and not interrupting or dismissing feelings or views is super important.

claj333 December 7th, 2022

@Heather225 Listen, listen and listen

Josh3889 December 8th, 2022

@Heather225

Hello everyone,

#1: Yes I have been in conflict resolutions & I am sure I will have many more. I think there has to be a few things to solve the conflict. You first must identify the conflict then just have a honest conversation on how you feel about the conflict & what you would like to see change.

#2: I think you should keep some things in mind during conflict resolution. Try to avoid triangulation & state your points but also listen & understand the other person.

iStarlight December 9th, 2022

@Heather225

Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?
Yes i have been in conflict resolution situation often with the members in chatroom, I try to resolve by briefing the description of the conflict that occurred, try to explain how would I approached the problem and any actions I took and share results to prove how the outcome was positive.

Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?
I think of tip that, when conflict happened we should let the speaker talk and not interrupt them. We should identify the issue and speak about it, and ask for suggestions needed, and discuss problem solutions so that rules can be set up for avoiding future conflicts.

Immakindlistener22 December 16th, 2022

@Heather225

I have been on one side of it, I had to do a self-reflection, find my faults, and apologize to resolve the conflict.
2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

No, I think all the tips listed were very useful, and I think the most important part is always just to listen to what the other side has to say and find common ground.

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

1.I manage conflict resolution at my customer care job each day.My strategy is to be polite,locate the issue and fix it.

2.My tip for conflict resolution is to listen instead of arguing or taking and don’t be rude or harsh,When you act harsh the customer or meme we may lash out back so it’s good to listen .

Soul576 December 19th, 2023

@Heather225

1.) Have you ever been on either side of a conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?

Yes I have, I dealt with it regularly when at school. Often I would leave the situation for a while to calm down, then decide if it was worth it, and then go back to the person with a clear mind of what needed to be said

2.)  Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict resolution?

Never speak too much, you have to understand the other person to deal with conflict. Speak when you need to, and try to ask questions that help you understand the person.

WishUponAStar968 February 12th

@Heather225

Yes, at my current job, many students engage in conflict with one another.  We have a wheel of choice of what strategy they want to use to talk to one another.  Then student A speaks and student B listens.  Then they switch.  I get to hear both sides as well they do.  Then together we formulate a resolution where both students can be happy and empathetic to each others needs.

When the students, or even adults talk to one another in conflict resolution, active listening needs to be done or you are just thinking of your own conflict.  Give a listening ear to those around you and put yourself in their shoes and then when its your turn to speak, they will hopefully do the same.