Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #1) Welcome to Course 2!

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Congrats! You made it the second course in the LDP! In this course, we focus on the specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, stress management and empowering new leaders.

I know if you are here, you have read our values and culture guide. I would like to start off by further emphasizing one value that's required for a leader to be successful here, and that is balancing High Expectations & High Warmth.

Work environments with high expectations and minimal warmth tend to result in companies that are very driven, rule-oriented and risk-averse. The people do not tend to grow as much personally or professionally. On the other hand, workplaces that are high in warmth, but have minimal expectations, tend to struggle. Everyone is happy and feels loved, but not a lot of effective or focused work gets done.

7 Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. We expect a lot from you. You might feel like we think you are more capable than other people have suggested or maybe even more capable than how you see yourself. That is okay. Every person on the team has outperformed and done better than they expected. This is largely because warmth, patience, and trust help people make much more progress than they have in other environments. We have high expectations, but we will provide plenty of encouragement and guidance to help you get there.

-

Question: What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Grace8402 August 7th, 2020

@Heather225

I think, as a 7 Cups leader

having low expectations would result in-

1) inefficiency and not allowing the group to realise its full potential eventually cause a setback to the community.

2) my fellow leaders would not find me reliable or accountable which could impact the work negatively.

having low warmth would result in-

1) low sense of social bonding and belonging in the community making any activity or work more like an obligation.

2) a lack of understanding when I work with my fellow leaders as it would make them feel like I do not value their work.

Thank you for this! Looking forward to the next discussion! ๐Ÿ˜„

shiningDay80 August 13th, 2020

@Grace8402

I agree with all of this. In order for us to be able to function properly as a team, we have to be able to rely on each other and help each other when needed.

Grace8402 August 13th, 2020

@shiningDay80

Yesss! I agree with you too! ๐Ÿ˜„

AdylynS March 19th, 2021

@shiningDay80

"I agree with all of this. In order for us to be able to function properly as a team, we have to be able to rely on each other and help each other when needed."

I agree with you ageement

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@shiningDay80

Definitely agree with both of you! We need a strong community in order to function properly!

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Yes indeed, we have to be able to help each other for a strong community and build a good team.

Shadowmoonmoon April 17th, 2022

@yourfriend5 I agree. And we can all do with having a warm-spirited attitude to be supportive

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@shiningDay80

Yes team spirit is necessary to rely on and help each other. Only then will we be able to function well

MindReader798 October 6th, 2021

I believe we have a bunch of competent in this team. Just be committed with it and trust your intuitive.

iCareUK October 7th, 2022

@MindReader798

I agree with you entirely, teamwork at all times is key to not only developing bigger and better but also to us as individuals, whilst we may work alone, that doesn't mean we are alone, 7 cups has one of the biggest and best support networks I have ever seen that are always around to encourage and pick you back up when you fall, this is a truly inspiring thing.

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

@iCareUK

I agree with you, if the team are not fully informed. it could crash

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Grace8402

I agree with your answer

Grace8402 August 25th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Yay! ๐Ÿ˜„

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@Grace8402

Quite the detailed response. I'm proud that you put much thought about this.

Grace8402 September 7th, 2020

@SynSavory

Thank you!! ๐Ÿ˜„โค

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@SynSavory

Yes! Detailed responses are great! :)

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

@TheGoodHeartedBuddyThe more information you put in the better

@SynSavory I am proud as well!

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

never relent

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Grace8402

Great answers ! :) I agree that having low expectations reduces reliability and having low warmth reduces the amount we care abou the work we are doing.

Grace8402 September 29th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

Thank you! And well said! Have a great day! :)

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Grace8402

Grace, brilliant answers! I wish you the best in your journey ahead.

@shiningSound31

Thank you so much! And I wish you the same! :)

shiningSound31 September 29th, 2020

@Grace8402

heart

@shiningSound31 wish you the best ahead too!

TogetherForeverAlways September 27th, 2020

@Grace8402

While starting to plan on my own reply to this question, as a way of starting Course 2 of LDP, I stumbled upon your answer.

Well, I couldn't agree more with it, thanks so much for posting it!

@WatchingOverYou

Thank you so much! Have a great day! :)

friendlyEars8792 September 27th, 2020

@Grace8402

great, well thought out response!

@friendlyEars8792

Thank you!! Have a great day! :)

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

Great response

dancingMoment7201 September 27th, 2020

@Grace8402

Nice answer

@dancingMoment7201

Thank you!! :)

peacefulWarrior10 September 28th, 2020

@Grace8402

I like your response in point number #2! Very well noted!

@peacefulWarrior10

Thank you so much! Have a great day! :)

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Grace8402 that's a great respond!

Grace8402 October 5th, 2020

@kateaala

Thank you!! ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜„

YoungMonastic007 October 11th, 2020

@Grace8402

You've hit the nail on the head. Perfect and to the point.

Grace8402 November 3rd, 2020

@YoungMonastic007

Thank youuuu! ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜„

MarissaHope October 27th, 2020

@Grace8402 indeed I totally agree and get where your coming from!

Grace8402 November 3rd, 2020

@MarissaHope

Yayy! Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜„