Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

sereneButton43 August 1st, 2021

@unique73 that's wonderful, feedback is a great opportunity to learn

sereneButton43 August 1st, 2021
If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
I generally do not mind things like that as I understand well that failure is a part of the process. When not given a role I applied for, I should try and reflect on what could be the reasons I did not get that role. I should then work on things so I have a better chance next time. To the leader that has informed me, I would ask for feedback on what I could work on.
Ashvillium August 25th, 2021

@Heather225
Getting roles on cups is a dream of every listener. Though there are times when we don’t get the exact role that we want. But we truly don’t need to feel low for it. We must wait and work on us for the best time to come. The discussion is really conveys an important message in the cups culture.
Following are my responses against the questions respectively:-

1. If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
In a situation when someone informs me that I haven’t been selected for a role that I have applied, I must ensure that I do not feel low because of it. In case if I feel low I must switch to my member account to seek help and/or take a self-care break from my listener account.
I might ask if there is any specific reason because of which I didn’t make it so that I can work on it for if I reapply for the role again I ensure that I don’t fall out for the same reason again. Meanwhile I will thank them to inform me and I will ask if there are more roles where I can apply for the time being or when can I reapply for the same role again.

See you in the next discusion!
Spreading love!
Ash. :)
bubblingBreeze14 September 8th, 2021

@Ashvillium

Nicely said! wink As you mentioned there's no need to feel low, a missed opportunity just means another chance to learn.

ComradeRuhi August 30th, 2021

@Heather225
Unfortunately, life does not always go as planned, and we often do not get what we wish for. If I am not given a role, I’m going to take a deep breath, calm myself, and work my way around, trying again and again until I reach my goal. Sometimes life does not go as planned, but that doesn’t mean we should throw a fit, and give up. It just means that life has another path for us to trek. There are tons of paths that lead to the same destination. Sometimes we have to take an exit, or go all the way around, to reach the same place. But if we get lost, or something comes up in the path, and we just sit there, we will never get where we want and need to be. I’ll respectfully thank the leader for their time, and will ask them for suggestions on my next steps, and reach my path some other way.

@iigotyourbackii

Nicely said. It's true that we don't get everything as we hope, but it's important to learn from the past and let go of it adn keep moving forward.

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I think I would not take it personally, sometimes people can make mistakes or forget what I had to do and who to add, is that there are quite a lot of us and it may be understandable that they forget, first I would take it easy and I would write to you with a lot of patience and I would ask you please if you could assign me a role. <3 <3 <3

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@Crystaldancer

Oh, I think I misunderstood the question, my English is bad, I'm sorry, I want to say that I would take it easy and wait patiently for a next opportunity

@Crystaldancer

You never know when a new opportunity might pop up. wink So yeah, keep calm and keep learning..

@Heather225

To be honest I would be a bit upset for not getting the role, but at the same time I'll review teh feedback given to me and the reasons why i couldn't make it this time and use that to improve myself and try for it the next time. If i fail another time, i might have a chat with a mentor and get support on how i can improve in order to achieve this.

I would thank the leader for the time he/she took to evaluate my application and to come up with constructive feedback. I know it takes a lot of time and thinking to write constructive feedback so the listener could learn and grow. I would also mention that I'd work well and improve myself and apply again soon :)

Prachi9876 September 10th, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I will process it first and then ask my mentor for feedback so that I can work on myself for the future. I will look at the feedback objectively and use it for my overall growth

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

First of all, I would thank the leader for taking out some time and ask if there is more to add to the feedback.

caringHope1976 September 16th, 2021

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I find out I was not selected for a given role, I should respond with a positive approach. I would say to the leader, who has informed me, that I understand I do not meet the criteria of a given role or that there are other people who are more skilled than me. I would take this positively and use it to improve my skills.

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@Heather225

I would respond respectfully! The leaders are clearly just doing their job. There has to be a valid reason to why I didn't get the role I wanted, and if I am still confused as to why that is, I would ask them! Even afterwards, if it's definitely certain that I didn't get the role - that's ok. In life we're not going to always get what we want. Things will not always go our way. What we can do is accept that reality and use it to our advantage. I will try again next time and recognize the skills that I lacked in order to improve them in the future.

Izzy274 October 3rd, 2021

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Hi Buddy! Being respectful is a really good thing to point out, and it is definitely so important to be polite to the leaders for doing their jobs. Asking for feedback is also a great idea as well, and using it to improve on your skills for the next roles you apply to is really good.

September 22nd, 2021

If I didn't earn a role, I would certainly be disappointed, but I would take any feedback that I receive as a learning opportunity! I would say "thank you" to the leader who has informed me that I didn't earn the role, since the feedback is truly important so that I can improve and grow as a 7 Cups listener and contributor. Once I fulfill all of the necessary requirements and make improvements based on the feedback, I would be eager to apply again!

@Nerdtastic01

Hi Nerd! I agree, taking it as a learning opportunity is definitely a good way to look at things and grow from the feedback. Thanking the leader is also a really good thing to do, and hopefully by taking any feedback and using it to improve you will be able to gain the roles you want in the future!

courageousheart96 September 27th, 2021

@Heather225

Hello everyone 👋👋

I would be disappointed and sad for a while and after taking some time for myself, I will feel at ease. I will focus on myself and see what other roles will be suitable for me or reapply when I am ready.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to apply for this role and also for giving me constructive feedback. I hope that I can learn from it so that I can improve and reapply for the role or see what other roles are available and suitable for me.

@courageousheart96

Hi Heart!

Taking some time out to process and care for yourself is definitely a good idea to help you improve and reflect, and I really like how kind your message to the leader is and how you focus on improving and thanking them for the opportunity :)

JoyHappyNess October 17th, 2021

@courageousheart96

It's courageously awesome 😎 how you first acknowledge that pain of not getting the part and deal with it first.

I would first thank the person for letting me know, and then take some time out to process things and decide if there's anything I wanted to do next. I would then reach out to the leader and ask them if they had any feedback, and if they did I would work to implement that so I could apply for the role (or a similar one) again when it comes up. I would reach out to a mentor for that type of role and talk to them about the skills required and learn more about how they did it and gain tips. I would also try to do some mock chats and gain resources that could help me in the role, so I would improve as a listener and also feel more supported in applying for my next role.

' Thank you for letting me know, I will definitely work on my skills and gain more experience to become a better leader and fit for this role in the future. I would love to hear if you have any feedback or tips for improvement. Thank you again for informing me about this :)' .

@Izzy274

Wow! 😍 Talking of high warmth, it's incredible how you start by thanking the leader who conveyed the news.

kindFish9215 October 7th, 2021

@Heather225

I should talk to the leader of the role I applied for and see what I can do in order to get the role next time. I should ask for some feedback when interacting with the leader. I should not bring the issues into the support room, but rather, talk to a peer supporter about how I feel. I should not take it personally, since everyone is ready at different times. Additionally, I should make sure to prioritize self care. And finally, get a mentor, since they could offer a lot of great advice and help.

@kindFish9215

Nice summary 😃... Easy to read and of course, they are all valid.

yourfriend5 October 8th, 2021

@Heather225

Good learning

@Heather225

Take some self- care and process the feelings of disappointment. This can be done by logging out of your listener account first.

You could start by thanking them for giving you the information then ask them on ways to improve yourself so that you can be better suited if you want to reapply for the role.

LavenderFlower October 26th, 2021

@JoyHappyNess

Yes, self-care is so important. To provide and accept situations, we have to be kind to ourselves. Feedback does not mean we failed. It's our cue to get up and try again. Great response

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@Heather225

Ans: My response to the leader: "Hello, @username! Thank you for taking a minute out of your schedule to let me know that. I understand I am not the right fit for the role currently. However, I would like to ask if I could help with any related role or anything. Additionally, please let me know where I can improve myself, feel free to add any tips if you would like. Thank you."

After the natural dejected feeling, I would like to talk to a Peer Supporter, if it continues for a long time. I might also take a small self-care break, go for a walk or do something that makes me cheer up. Connecting with a mentor after I receive the feedback is another such thing that I would like to do.

@Textingpals

I love the response you wrote out! It's so professional and shows your desire to improve to the mentor and community

Moonlemon48 October 20th, 2021

@Heather225

1.After getting over the possible emotions of not getting the role, I would ask the leader where I went wrong and ask for a feedback.

2. Thank you for taking out your time and giving me this opportunity, I realize there are some things I can do better and improve on and I will soon consider re applying for the role after I've improved.

jersey123456 October 22nd, 2021

@Moonlemon48

Great Response !

xinyii11 November 9th, 2021

@Moonlemon48 Love your response! Asking for feedback really is important to improve ourselves in the future <33

mikacv December 14th, 2021

@Moonlemon48

I like how you would thank the leader for the opportunity to even apply even if you didn't get the role. It shows professionalism and maturity!

jersey123456 October 22nd, 2021

I will be sad and disappointed but will work towards improving myself.

I will thank the leader for informing me and be grateful and ask them to give feedback which would help me improve myself.

@jersey123456

It is great you want to choose to focus on improvement. You will definitely be able to improve your leadership skills and provide great support!

CaringEzra February 14th, 2022

I agree that I would be disappointed in myself but it’s awesome that you focus on how to improve

@Heather225

I would definitely be upset, but I should remain calm and think about improvement rather than focusing on the issue as if all it is is a failure. Rather, it is a learning experience

I will ask for feedback and accept the criticisms that I have received so that I can apply at a later date when I am better prepared

lyricalSea85 November 5th, 2021

@LavenderFlower

Failure can sometimes be inevitable. I love how you're willing to consider failure as a learning experience.

@LavenderFlower Totally valid! I would honestly feel the same too <3

mikacv December 14th, 2021

@LavenderFlower

I agree! I would be upset too, but all good and bad news can be a learning experience. It's good to ask for feedback (:

If I don't get the role I want, I would definitely be disappointed. However, I'll know that I still have much room for improvement and would try my best to improve my existing weaknesses. I should try to respond politely and positively instead of blaming myself about not getting the role. I should also know that I tried my best and whatever happens happens. As for what I would tell the leader informing me of the decision, I will firstly thank them for delivering the news. I will also ask them for feedback and suggestions on how I could be a better listener/leader in the future.