Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

mikacv December 14th, 2021

@xinyii11

Improvement is always important and it's great that you would approach this as a teaching moment and take it on as an opportunity to evaluate your weaknesses!

Kindwords2000 January 7th, 2022

@xinyii11

It is only natural to be disappointed, it is what you do with the feedback and think about what your next steps are. You are very right.

mikacv December 14th, 2021

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I found out I was not given the role I wanted, I would remain calm and try not to take it personally. I would not lash out or have any angst toward any leaders/listeners/members/organization about the bad news. I would thank the leader who informed me and would maybe ask what other roles might be a better fit for me, if any, and how I can improve to work toward the goal of the role I initially wanted. Feedback is always important, whether it is good or bad.

@mikacv

That is the right approach to take, it is natural to be disappointed but it was you do after that is important.

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@Heather225

I will be definitely disappointed to be honest. Something similar happened to me when I messed up active listening 3. I got a feedback on how I did and I can answer these questions better. I was quite disappointed. I told her how I misunderstood the question since English isn't my first language and then thanked the listener for providing me the feedback. I informed her that I am going to take her suggestions and re-take it soon. I got the badge later.

hopezzy January 14th, 2022

@DancingHeart4982 Wow! That's great that you listened to the feedback and got the badge later! Kudos! 🙌

@Bubblegumwings1234 Yes, I agree that we shouldn't take it personally. We can try again!

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I do not get the role that I applied for, I would ask someone else who has that role for some feedback on how I could potentially get the role in the future and try to respond to the feeback that I have been given to improve. I would say to the leader who has informed me thank you for letting me know and ask for any advise that they could give me.

Gnibellen January 14th, 2022

@Kindwords2000

Asking for feedback and expressing gratitude for the opportunity all sound like great ways to deal with the situation.

DarkPiT23 January 7th, 2022

I will be sad. But it will give me an inspiration to try harder and better. I'll ask my leader for where I did go wrong and improve there

@DarkPiT23

I think asking for feedback is one of the best things you can do!

Listeningstars January 11th, 2022

- If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

= Ask if I was given any other roles? Try to understand why I was not given that specific role. Work better on myself to get the role next time, or not because I might end up actually liking the new role I am assigned more.

@Listeningstars

I think being open to a potentially different role is a great idea. Also, working on trying to understand why you were not selected for that role might be a great form of self-care.

dudewithaplan January 25th, 2022

@Listeningstars it is nice to see that you are open to other opportunities.

Zarram77 March 24th, 2022

@Listeningstars 👍

@Heather225

If I found out I was not given a role, I think I would first take some time for some self-reflection and self-care. To the leader that informed me I would say, "Thank you so much for the consideration, and I look forward to future opportunities." Then I would sign up for a mentor.

@Gnibellen I like that reply! It's very mature and understanding!

@Gnibellen it is good thing that you are open to learn and ask for help from mentors.

@Gnibellen Nice answer :)

ASilentBunny March 24th, 2022

@Gnibellen It's really important to take breaks in order to reflect to ourselves!

@Heather225

I will be understanding. I would ask for feedback to improve myself for the role. I will ask about other roles which the leader suggests for me to apply.

@hopezzy it is nice to see that you are open to other roles.

AliveandAlive January 29th, 2022

@hopezzy

It is so inspiring to see the positivity and openness.

I just thank for this opportunity, and glad to learn new skills during this process. i will continue to be listener as 1 on 1 with members.

dudewithaplan January 28th, 2022

@dudewithaplan update:1

another aproach will be asking what i am lacking of and try to improve that areas.

@dudewithaplan ❤️👍

ASilentBunny March 24th, 2022

@dudewithaplan I am glad to hear that you wouldn't let it keep you down!

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? Graciously

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Thank you for the consideration

AliveandAlive January 29th, 2022

I would feel a little upset but will take a pause and accept the rejection.

I would ask for feedback and try to understand that how I can progress towards getting the role in the future.

rrretsuko February 5th, 2022

@AliveandAlive i think that's great ! it's awesome that you would take a step back to think about it and calm yourself a little in order to accept that rejection and know that you can always try again :) <3 it represents a lot of strength and growth !

anjellyna January 31st, 2022

@Heather225

I should try not to take it too personally, and do some self-care if I feel bad. I could get a mentor if I want to improve myself and get the role next time. To the leader, I’ll thank them for telling me and ask them for any feedback they had and how I could get the role next time.

CaringEzra February 14th, 2022

It’s great that you would take some self care that care be really beneficial and awesome that you would thanks them

Livingtohelplive January 31st, 2022

Hello there!

I would be definitely confused and sad in The beggining and i would want to know What stands behind The reason of not having The role i wanted to be able to improve myself and skills.

I would accept it and move on and in The end be thankful for The overall experience and opportunity.

Sending strenght and energy!

Lots of love,

🌸Hana🌸

@Livingtohelplive it's definitely understandable to feel confused and sad in the beginning-- i know what you mean ! <3 and it is a learning process :) it takes lots of time and it can really help you in the end !

00Michelle00 February 3rd, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? Graciously would you say to the leader who has informed you? Thank you

@MinisterMichelle i do believe that it's important to thank the people that can offer us input <3 when we show more courtesy and gratefulness, they'll want to help us improve more !

@Heather225

if i found out i was not given a role, i would want to try and work harder and continue to improve myself in order to get that role :) ambition is so important and it can help you achieve the roles you want to achieve more easily !

i would say something like this to the leader who has informed me: hi there ! <3 i wanted to just ask you for your input and feedback on how i can improve on certain aspects in order to get the role i wanted ! i really do want to achieve this for myself and practice growing as a person as well. i want to strengthen my skills, and i thought it'd be a great idea to get some ideas on how to do that from someone who has more experience :) i really appreciate it !

rriyad February 7th, 2022

@rrretsuko

Best wishes

rriyad February 7th, 2022

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Ans. I would definitely ask them for feedback as i need to improve. I would say thanks for reaching me. I would appreciate your feedback as i should have to improve certain areas where i am lacking in.

CaringEzra February 14th, 2022

It’s great you would focus on getting feedback it is a great way to improve as a listener I think