Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

wonderfulRainbow817 July 6th, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020
Most times people will just gossip and it will put someone's feelings down. Spinning the negative into a positive is a great way to think about it!

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

@wonderfulRainbow817

Thats a good way of looking at it. 

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020

I agree.

Kindwords2000 January 7th, 2022

@KindnessMatters2020

Very well thought answer

Zahraa000 February 13th, 2022

Great jop

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@KindnessMatters2020

This is so beautifully explained and I think its super important for everyone to understand this !

Immakindlistener22 December 16th, 2022

@KindnessMatters2020

yes commenting something positive will make the others know you don’t support gossiping. Very true

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 24th, 2020

@Heather225smiley

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is bad and sadly everyone does it we are humans when it gets worse is when people add to what they are saying about someone or taking away from it- this is when talking about others gets to be really hurtful . The Truths are twisted and turned . so once the story goes around it is a whole different thing.. Just do not do it and be careful if you are talking about someone say something nice but even then people will twist things.. so it is best to be quiet.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

Tell people that you do not want to hear it , stop it there and change the subject.

3. Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

okay will do !! smiley

Thanks Tyeheart

Yourstruly2000 August 24th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 you are an amazing human being who tries to help everyone and uplifts everyone by the sheer presence!! Hope to achieve that level of dedication one day

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 24th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000heart Awwwwwwwwwwww you are so sweet and kind and I think you are awesome yourself !!!!

Hugssssssssssssss Tyesmiley

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Great answer

blissart August 25th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

i absolutely agree with Tye on the hamful effects of gossiping and how gossiping is just an normal part of ones routine that we even fail to notice sometimes

MistyMagic August 25th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Awesome reply! You are so right that gossiping can be very hurtful. Sadly it still does happen.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 25th, 2020

@MistyMagic Yes it will happen of course and I do believe that it can come down to when is it gossip or when it is venting or wanting help ? In real life and even on here we need to vent and by going to the actual person sometimes it can work and sometimes it is gonna go horrible ... we need to be able to vent in a good way and productive way .. I am guilty myself we all are .. we are Humans heart thank you for your reply heart

QuietMagic August 26th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 I was actually thinking about something similar, what if someone isn't just talking for the sake of being sociable or elevating themselves, but rather they have hurt feelings they want to express. Then I sort of had an aha moment of "Oh, then the other discussion topic of triangulation would come into play."

I guess if there's a way to express feelings that doesn't triangulate (e.g. avoiding specific details, avoiding naming people, etc.) or cross the usual listener/member roles too much (give help vs. seek help), then yay. Slightly smiling

KindnessMatters2020 August 25th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Love your suggestion "tell people that you do not want to hear it"! Very direct, very clear! Thanks so much for sharing your insight with us <3

@KindnessMatters2020

@KindnessMatters2020heart Thank you . sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't I am the type that I am gonna listen to anyone and everyone ... I am guilty myself we all are in real life and even on here.. even if people do not wanna admit it..

If we go to a leader they will ask WHO are you asking about ot talking about.... this is the same it is gossip and triangulation but sometimes it is neeeded to get a resolution we need mediators .. smiley

PeaceLoveandPaws August 25th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

"Trusts are twisted and turned'. I love that you've said this. It reminds me of the telephone game I used to play as a kid. You start with one statement and whisper what you heard to the next kid. By the time you reach the end of the line, the statement has usually become something far different that what was actually said.

@PeaceLoveandPawsyes Exactly !! but once again people are human and also I know even myself I can hear something and not actually be listening lol it is true I tune people out and then I am like what was it they said to me lol... so sometimes i do think people can repeat things and not really mean it in a bad way but just forget or not pay attention .. even when sharing something really nice and supportive.. But yes repeating or making things up is not good at all .

Kids of course are gonna mess things up or embellish ..

Accepting we are Human and no one is perfect is needed.

So we can stay quiet of course smiley

bookworm274 August 28th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I agree with your comment that truths can be twisted. Sometimes accidentally and sometimes purposefully. I think it

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 28th, 2020

@bookworm274 Thank you but I have I am admitting that i did or triangulated we all have but what is gossip and what is someone venting and also asking for help when you are a leader here we do have questions that come in and even higher leaders will ask names .... I have grown here and realized that some are mean and some are not meaning to gossip they are hurting so what we can do yes is stop it there if we are leaders and help the best we can....

Now if you go and repeat what someone said to you to someone else totally different out of meaness...

I am not perfect trust me and I was guility myself of trusting someone and also getting used and played and at my age I know better... we sometimes take out our anger and vent things when we should not do this..

Lessons learned and do not feel pressured to fit in with people !!

I hope I am making sense lol ? Tye heart

Listeningsarinn August 31st, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

honestly i wish i'll get to the point where i can stop the conversation from going to the wrong direction just that directly, working on it heart *-*

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 3rd, 2020

@Listeningsarinn You will !! but will you be 100% nope because I do not believe it is possible to be 100% free of talking about people because as leaders or a place you work then you do have too mention names.. Just knowing when and when not too and how to go about it..

Example would be - What do you think about X getting this postition do you think they would be good at it would you recommend them and why .... 0 then has to reply with yes or no and why ..... real life and here.. this can be good or bad because 0 may say well X is not a good worker or leader so then the person asking may say okay I beieve what you say and will decide... what if we are wrong or what if we are right ? ...

Listeningsarinn September 4th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

agreed, it is impossible to prevent it completely but i guess it will be okay when limited to when it's really needed and even then be extra cautios trying not to misjudge 💜

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 4th, 2020

@Listeningsarinn Yes so very true , thank you .. yes

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Beautifully said!

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22 THANK YOUheart

Helpingsoul98 September 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

100% agree!!!

@Helpingsoul98 Thank you heart

Petrichor2000 September 7th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 I get what you mean. We should be quiet and change the topic.

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I completely agree with your answers. I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 14th, 2020

@shiningSound31 Thank you so much the same to you !

Tyeheart

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

heartangelheart​​​​​​​

InvaderStitch September 14th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Very good insights! I really like your point you made about gossiping being a part of human nature almost. Like we may not intentionally do it, but we do. You're such a great person with such a great mind!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 14th, 2020

@InvaderStitch Aw Stitch thank you wow and a great mind now this one i am gonna screen shot and save lol and go back too!!

You are now my all time favorite person on this site !! well maybe even the world !! heart

Hugsssssssssssss, Tyesmiley

September 18th, 2020

Really good answer. It. Total. Reminds. Me of the film. Mean girls where they write un true gossip in book . @Tyedyedbutterfly65

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

So astute - you can see why I'm such a Tyedyed fan

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I like your perspective. Great answer dear!

Zahraa000 February 13th, 2022

You are amazing 🤩