Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #2) Service Leadership at 7 Cups

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Being a leader at 7 Cups takes many forms. One thing every listener has in common is that we are all agents of service. Whether we are taking member chats or we are welcoming a new listener to the community, every unique contribution made by listeners is equally wonderful and valuable.

There are many ways to spend our  volunteer time at 7 Cups. Some of you will choose to focus on member chats and others will choose to be involved with our community programs, or both!  No matter which path, all contributions are considered incredibly valuable and special.

The term  Service leadership  (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in  which the main goal of the leader is to serve)  can be explained in this way:  "Traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the top of the pyramid. By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible."

Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

Leadership - Becoming a Teen Star, Mentor, Mentor Leader or Ambassador.

Weve long said⦠that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually youll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

One misconception I have heard floating around is that once youre in one of these roles you need to do more, be more, show more, etc. The reality could not be any further from the truth. These roles signify contributions that are currently being made & are not about contributions we hope these individuals will make in the future.

Another way to think about this is - Â if youre accepted to be a mentor leader or ambassador, we will not be giving you more work. Our aim is to honor the work you have been previously/currently doing. In fact, wed love for you to add more self-care to your regular routine. These titles are reserved for successful project leaders & community members who are already involved in community engagement projects and actively making a positive impact. In some cases, we may give you more tools to do your specific projects more effectively.

In this sense, service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective  community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Dont take on more than you are able. If you dont have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters! Â

If youd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If youre not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

-

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Grace8402 August 7th, 2020

@Heather225

Service leadership, to me, is doing any task with utmost conscientiousness, thus contributing to this community and setting a good example for others.

I would like to acknowledge and appreciate the listeners who take up chats with members who seem distressed in any chatroom and who might need someone to talk to. Especially when a fun conversation or activity is going on and a member does not feel okay, there is always a listener who offers to skip the fun to be there for the member and I think those gestures are inspiring.

I could be a better servant leader by being a better listener every day and trying to participate in the community more.

Thank you and looking forward to the next discussion! 😄

QuietMagic August 17th, 2020

@Grace8402 I haven't actually been in member chatrooms, but that makes me really happy to know that when a member doesn't feel well, there's always a listener who's willing to skip the fun and help them. Red heart

Grace8402 August 18th, 2020

@QuietMagic

Yayyyyy! 😊💕

TheRusticMystic74 March 30th, 2022

@QuietMagic

absolutely!!! Very well put point.

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

Be a better you

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Grace8402

Lovely answer :)

Grace8402 August 25th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Thank you! 😄

Mellietronx August 26th, 2020

@Grace8402 Awesome answers!

Grace8402 September 2nd, 2020

@Mellietronx

Thank you! 😄

LittleBirdie30 August 30th, 2020

@Grace8402 I really love your own personal definition of what service leadership is! heart

Grace8402 September 2nd, 2020

@LittleBirdie30
Thank you! 💕

Beaconx September 4th, 2020

@Grace8402

This is awesome

Grace8402 September 7th, 2020

@Beaconx

Thank you!!

softMusic9759 September 5th, 2020

I love the concept of service leadership! Honestly, it makes me feel like more people would be engaged and we would be able to have/build a much better community. I think I can become a better servant leader by trying to be a bit more active in the community and making sure that everyone is comfortable.

Grace8402 October 5th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Well said!! And all the best! (Sorry, it's been a month and I hadn't seen this reply until now) 😅💜

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Agreed!

Anyone who needs to can contact me!

pamharley003 April 4th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Even though my Community has 2 people working hard myself and one other team member, we strive to work together, listen to each others thoughts and ideas and work on having others join the team.

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@pamharley003

teamwork makes so many things easier for us, incredible work <3

Shadowmoonmoon April 17th, 2022

@Crystaldancer agree with you!!!

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@pamharley003

Agreed... we all have to be working hard and strive to work together as a responsible team member

Good job

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Yes, the more people would be engaged , then more would we be able to build a better community.

TheRusticMystic74 March 30th, 2022

@softMusic9759

i love the way you put servant leader, its good

Shadowmoonmoon April 17th, 2022

@incrediblelistener78 Good luck!! I wish you the best!

Great work to the community,keep it up

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Grace8402

Great answer! Keep up the hard work in being a servant leader!

@CognitiveACE

Thank you so much!! (I'm sorry. I hadn't seen the reply until now😅) Have a great time!

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Grace8402

I started my volunteering at 7 Cups as a listener and your kind words of appreciation for listeners really means a lot to me. Thank You, Grace! I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

@shiningSound31

Thank you so much! And I've observed that you've been very appreciative of people in different forums. It does make a difference and thank you for that! I wish you all the best too!! (Sorry for the delay. I hadn't seen the reply until now. 😅)

shiningSound31 October 6th, 2020

@Grace8402

That's Okay, Grace :)

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@shiningSound31

Thank you for being part of this community, I wish you the best <3

peacefulWarrior10 October 2nd, 2020

@Grace8402

Completely agree with the example you shared. I've seen such listeners who skip the fun and dive in to help the distressed member! Reason why I'm proud to be part of this community!

All the best with your service wishes. You're amazing!

@peacefulWarrior10

Yayyyy! Thank you so much for the amazing and well put words! All the best for your journey too! You awesome!! 💜

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Grace8402 your reply is so good!

@kateaala

Thank youu! 💜

YoungMonastic007 October 11th, 2020

@Grace8402

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Learn, teach and lead by example.

Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups? When I came across a member who was abusive for the first time, I came to Listeners chatroom and told about the experience and then the way everyone came and tried to console me was totally unexpected. Later few shared their own stories and tried to calm me down. I wasn’t expecting that at all.

How can you become a better "servant' to our community? I believe in leaders being the servants and especially on platform like this. We grow by growing along with our peers in the community.

Grace8402 November 17th, 2020

@YoungMonastic007

Great answer! I hope you replied to the actual post too. (:

giggleSun1695 November 28th, 2020

@YoungMonastic007

Awesome!

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@YoungMonastic007

Everyone cares about eachother I wish we were a little more tight knit!

pamharley003 April 4th, 2021

@YoungMonastic007

Well said heart