Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 2: Accepting and Providing Feedback

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

If you prefer a video/audio explanation, please watch this video.

Some reasons why accepting feedback is important:

• It helps us improve our craft/skills/ourselves

• We become aware of our own short comings.

• We can learn how others may perceive us.

Reasons why it can be challenging to hear constructive feedback:

• We might associate it with who we are as a whole.

• We may think the person giving it has lost respect for us.

• It can hurt our ego.

The choice is yours! Are you willing to deal with discomfort for your greater good? If so then constructive feedback is an essential tool you must utilize.

Now let's see how to give feedback!

If you prefer a video/audio explanation, please watch this video.

Steps to give useful feedback:

• Sandwich it between genuine positive feedback.

• Don’t do it too often. Remember a person can only accept so much constructive feedback before it drains them. Use it sparingly.

• Ask yourself what you are communicating is beneficial to the person or your own personal preference. Only provide feedback if it will help the person.

Let's practice giving constructive feedback.

This is the situation.

Username: CoffeePerson198

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people and is empathetic.

Areas of improvement: Is not completing assigned task for 3 weeks, not communicating with you (the leader) why the task is not being completed.

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise).

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@CurrySoup12 I like how you complemented them on how they treat members.

beyoutofullkalon March 31st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hey Coffee! This is your team leader. The feedback given by users prompts me to believe that you are caring and empathetic. However, I haven't received an update about the task assigned three weeks ago. It's a bit contrary to your punctuality and 24-hour response time so I just wanted to check whether everything is all right. Please do update me at the earliest. We are truly honoured to have a devoted and compassionate listener like you on our team! Take care.

ItsMrEnigma April 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise).

You are a wonderful listener who has always positively contributed by helping many people, however you must also complete the tasks given on time. Remember to not beat yourself up though as you have always been punctual!
Heart4art April 13th, 2023

Hello CoffeePerson198, I want to thank you for your dedication and hard work. Are you open to discussing that task we talked about a few weeks ago and receiving some feedback? Thanks again for being open to talking about this. I've noticed how punctual you are and how you return things promptly and respond in 24 hours. However I noticed this task has been a little different, and I haven't received any updates on its progress. Do you have any ideas on how we can get this project back on track? Can we come up with a plan together complete this project? Thank you for understanding my concern, I really appreciate how caring and empathetic you are.

RainbowRosie April 18th, 2023

@Heart4art

I love the way you have worded your message, friendly but to the point!

RainbowRosie April 18th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

FrenchToastClub

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people, and is empathetic.

Areas of improvement: Is not completing assigned task for 3 weeks, not communicating with you (the leader) why the task is not being completed.

Hiya Coffee,

I hope you are well.

I have noticed that your forum posts show such kindness and empathy. You have a great deal to be proud of. We appreciate the work you do here at 7 Cups, but have noticed that you have not completed your assigned task in over 3 weeks. Can I ask how you are feeling about the assigned task? Please be assured I fully understand how overwhelming these things can be. If this is the case or anything else, please do let me know, I’ll happily support you.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Kind regards

RainbowRosie 🌹

4Jasmine March 4th

@RainbowRosie

Very nicely said. Great job! 

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@Frenchtoastclub

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people and is empathetic.

Hey coffee my this is Ruby! I just want to thank you so much for being so dedicated and caring towards everyone in this community. It really goes a long way, and you should be very proud(: I did want to bring to your attention the fact that you haven't completed the assigned task you received, and haven't communicated why it's not being completed. If you could just fill me in, that would be greatly appreciated:) Thank you for everything you do!

zaatarHoney April 20th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

Love your message! Clear, concise, and sweet! 😇

JoyHappyNess April 20th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

That is direct yet polite and it encourages the team member to step up. It doesn't intimidate at all. Good job

zaatarHoney April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hey, CoffeePerson198, I'm wondering if you have a few minutes to discuss the task you've been working on these past couple weeks? I want to see you continue to succeed because you've been such an asset to our team in many ways. For instance, I want to thank you for hopping into our meeting early last week. You are often there before we are set to begin and I really appreciate how you engage with everyone as they arrive as you contribute greatly to the room's atmosphere. I can sense how deeply you care about others by how supportive you are with everyone. With that said, I'm here to support you. It's so important to me that you communicate regarding your progress, your challenges/concerns, and even your online/offline barriers, etc, while working on team-related tasks so I can make sure I'm providing you with the relevant support, guidance, and encouragement to ensure you thrive here with us on XYZ team. We are all in this together. Please, if you have a moment, would you mind sharing your thoughts with me about this?

broadfemmelovelive April 27th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

Love the part about "we are all in this together!"

Artalistens August 17th, 2023

@zaatarHoney Fantastic summary!

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@zaatarHoney I loved the positive energy exuding from this response, and the way you listed specific situations where this person did well. I also loved the emphasis on support and using that to draw the person's attention to the task they hadn't completed. Really lovely post, and you would make a great team leader!

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@zaatarHoney

i agree with Apple about the great positive energy in your response!  Positive energy goes a long way in making it easier for the person to receive your feedback!  Great job.

@FrenchToastClub

@FrenchToastClub

My response "Great job on completing the project on time and within budget. I noticed, however, that there were a few errors in the final report. Let's work together to proofread more thoroughly next time and ensure we deliver a flawless product, as I know you can. Keep up the good work!"

@broadfemmelovelive

Directly to coffee: Hey CoffeePerson198, I appreciate your punctuality and quick responses to my messages. However, I noticed that the assigned task has not been completed for the past three weeks, and I haven't received any communication from you regarding the delay. Let's work together to figure out how to overcome this hurdle and continue delivering great work, as I know you are capable of doing. Keep up the good work!

RainbowRosie April 27th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

I like how this is a friendly, to the point, supportive comment.

April 28th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi CoffeePerson198, I want to start by saying how much I appreciate your punctuality and responsiveness, and your genuine care for your colleagues. I have noticed, however, that the task assigned to you has not been completed for the past three weeks, and I haven't received any communication from you explaining the reason for the delay. As a valuable member of the team, I believe that with better communication and planning, you will be able to complete the task successfully and on time.

gsp-banner_1682641335.png

AnnaSilverberg June 13th, 2023
🐬 @richuyulin 🐬

🌟 Absolutely perfect! 🌟
💙

Smrtbibliophile May 12th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi Coffee!
I wanted to drop you a line and let you know we've noticed how caring and empathetic you are! This is a great skill and we are lucky to have you here. However I wanted to check in because the assignment you were given three weeks ago hasn't been completed yet, and I wanted to check in and make sure nothing was going on that I or the team could help you with. It's important to care for yourself so if you need a mental health break I understand, but it's up to you to let me know. If you could get back to me about this, I'd really appreciate it - I know you usually are very punctual and respond within 24 hours and I appreciate that as well! Hope to hear from you soon!

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

I like your message a lot! You used the sandwich method well. I think Coffee feels genuinely appreciated. 😊

SnowTabby June 3rd, 2023

@Smrtbibliophile
Your sandwiched response looks beautifully crafted and, if I had received this feedback, I would feel motivated to communicate better.

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise).

Hello Coffee! ❤️ I am MagnificentSunrise. I am writing to you as your team lead. I have been very impressed with your empathy, your punctuality and your responsiveness in general. You are a great listener! 😊

You have been assigned a task that you have not completed in a while. Going forward, I would like to ask you to inform me, when you do not have the time to complete your task. Are you aware of the task and know what you should be doing? Do you have access to our dashboard? Have you been having any difficulties with it? Please let me know, if there are challenges with the task you have been assigned. I am always here to support you in your role.

I look forward to hearing from you. I'm really glad that you are part of the team! ❤️
GermanZebraCupcake May 28th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi Coffee!

I wanted to first let you know that I've heard some fantastic feedback on your general demeanor with people - you've been known to be caring and quick to respond. These are two really wonderful traits that help influence a positive culture here at 7 Cups.

However, I also noticed that you've not completed (xyz task) over the last three weeks. I felt this might not be characteristic of your norm, so I just wanted to gently check in with you on this particular thing. (And don't worry - I'm not mad! I just want to make sure everything is okay and if you need any help, we can work it out.) I know you're typically quite punctual, which is always appreciated and noticed by myself and others. Keep up the great work, okay? I look forward to hearing from you! :D

jadenrjc7 June 5th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake

Very insightful :)

SnowTabby June 3rd, 2023
@FrenchToastClub
Hi CoffeePerson198, I hope you are having a beautiful day. Reviews say you are empathetic with a consistently quick response time. It's good to know you are prioritizing those who reach out to you along with personal time management. I have noticed, however, that a task given to you with a timeline has not been completed or has any communicated updates. Punctuality is a great value to keep with members as well as responsibilities, which you do historically well. All of your effort is appreciated and if there is anything you can communicate with this task, I would appreciate it.
jadenrjc7 June 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi CoffeePerson198! I wanted to reach out to check-in with you. First of all, thank you so much for being responsive and caring towards this project. I wanted to ask you how the project is going. It's been 3 weeks since you were supposed to have completed your task, and you haven't reached out for support. Is everything okay? I'd love to support you in anyway that I can. I know you're a caring and empathetic person, and you can get this work done :)

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

@jadenrjc7

I love this, your response is amazing ! :)

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

My Reply-

Hey Coffee! I wanted to firstly say I have noticed how awesome you are, I can tell you truly care about people, and your empathy is shown throughout, in all you do - these are truly amazing qualities to have. I just wanted to check in with you on your assigned task, the task hasn't been completed in 3 weeks and I wanted to know if there is anything I can support/help you on with it? Please do let me know if you have any problems/keep me up to date in the future if you need to update me on anything ~ I am here for you :) I also want to thank you for always responding so quickly, I really appreciate you and all you do :)

Take care,
Tabby

MaggieListens00 June 17th, 2023

@TabbyCat97

Great response Tabby :D

AnnaSilverberg June 13th, 2023
@FrenchToastClub

This is the situation.

Positive traits:
Is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people and is empathetic.

Areas of improvement:
Is not completing assigned task for 3 weeks,
not communicating with you (the leader) why the task is not being completed.

You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback.
Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method.
(Praise + Constructive Feedback + Praise)
💬
My response as a leader:

Hay there Coffee, I see that you do amazing work and I want you to know that
I see you, I am so proud of you and we are lucky to have you in this community,
I wonder how things are going for you, I noticed that you haven't completed the task we
talked about and I want to ask if you need some support with completing that task.

You are so caring and empathetic and I can see that you have a true passion for what you
do here, if you need any time off to do some self-care then let me know, because you
are important to us and we see how passionate you are about the work you do which is
absolutely priceless and we want you to be at your very best, let me know how things are.
💙

CharlieDont37 July 6th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

This is a great example of, pardon the expression, being slapped on the face and enjoying it. In other words, being called out for a poor performance and realizing that I let the group down, that my direct report has faith in me to perform as I have in the past, and that finally, I best pull myself together and do my best for the TEAM and our task.

AnnaSilverberg July 6th, 2023
🌟 @CharlieDont37 🌟

😂 You truly have a way with words 😂
Thank you for your interpretation, it is absolutely wonderful!
This made my day, haha!
You are awesome!
✨💙✨

Jenna July 7th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

A wonderful way to show concern to the teammate while also showing your willingness to support them.

AnnaSilverberg July 7th, 2023
🚀 @Jenna 🚀

Thank you, Jenna
I think that it's important to show that we care and that we are rooting for them
✨💙✨

MaggieListens00 June 17th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi there CoffeePerson198, I hope you are having a good day so far 😄 Thank you so much for your prompt responses, I'm always grateful for these! I was just checking in regarding your recent assignment, which has not yet been completed. If there is a reason for you being unable to complete this, can you please let us know as soon as possible in the future? Once again keep up the good work and keep being your kind-hearted self!

CharlieDont37 July 6th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Thank you for being a member of our Team. I appreciated the particular work you did on 'X'. That helped us with other portions of our work. That said, the task you agreed to and committed to is complete and your completion date is overdue by a week. I am sure that you are able to complete your task and want to you to know that I and other members of our team can help. In the past when you ran behind you reset our expectations for your task and by doing that we were able to reset the expectations for our overall tasks. Thank you.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Jenna July 7th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

This is the situation.

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people, and is empathetic.

Hey, Coffee! It's nice to check in with you! I am contacting you to discuss some feedback I have for you. When I first started getting feedback, it was a really hard time for me to accept it. I felt like I was being punished, but what was going on, I was needing some growth and improvement in myself and my roles here. This is not a punishment or a critique but our way of checking in and giving some guidance.

We admire your punctuality, dedication, and effective communication skills. However, we have noticed that your assignment remains incomplete for several weeks now, and we haven't heard from you regarding any assistance or break that you might need. We hope everything is well, and if not, please do not hesitate to inform us of how we can support you in your role. We care for you and would like to extend our assistance. Your empathy and passion for your team role are commendable, and we understand if you need to take a break. Thank you for your hard work and dedication.