Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 2: Accepting and Providing Feedback

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

If you prefer a video/audio explanation, please watch this video.

Some reasons why accepting feedback is important:

• It helps us improve our craft/skills/ourselves

• We become aware of our own short comings.

• We can learn how others may perceive us.

Reasons why it can be challenging to hear constructive feedback:

• We might associate it with who we are as a whole.

• We may think the person giving it has lost respect for us.

• It can hurt our ego.

The choice is yours! Are you willing to deal with discomfort for your greater good? If so then constructive feedback is an essential tool you must utilize.

Now let's see how to give feedback!

If you prefer a video/audio explanation, please watch this video.

Steps to give useful feedback:

• Sandwich it between genuine positive feedback.

• Don’t do it too often. Remember a person can only accept so much constructive feedback before it drains them. Use it sparingly.

• Ask yourself what you are communicating is beneficial to the person or your own personal preference. Only provide feedback if it will help the person.

Let's practice giving constructive feedback.

This is the situation.

Username: CoffeePerson198

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people and is empathetic.

Areas of improvement: Is not completing assigned task for 3 weeks, not communicating with you (the leader) why the task is not being completed.

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise).

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@Rosey16

What a great, balanced response!

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Positive traits: is punctual, responds in under 24 hours, cares about people and is empathetic.

Areas of improvement: Is not completing assigned task for 3 weeks, not communicating with you (the leader) why the task is not being completed.

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise).

Hi Coffee! Welcome to the 7 Cups team! First of all, I want to give you BIG kudos for being such a caring, empathetic & punctual part of the team! Yay!

However, I wanted to bring to your attention, of an uncompleted a task assigned 3 weeks ago. If you can, please get back to me on update/progress of the task, as soon as possible. If you have decided to withdraw from the task, please let me know as well. Thanks.

In the meantime, hope everything is ok with you & thank you for being a part of the 7 Cups team! 

Soul576 December 28th, 2023

@FrenchToast

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise)

Hey Coffee!! I hope you're doing well. I really love how caring and empathetic you are, you're making 7Cups a much better case with your work! I saw that you were given a task to complete around three weeks ago and you haven't replied to me about it, I know things can sometimes be difficult, but I'd appreciate a message!! Lastly, I just wanted to commend you for your fast response time, it's so excellent to see!! I hope we can chat soon, thank you for the work you do here!!

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@Soul576 Nice approach dear

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@FrenchToast

Dear CoffeePerson198,

I want to express my gratitude for your consistent punctuality, quick responses within 24 hours, and evident care for the team's well-being, showcasing empathy. Your dedication to these positive traits has undoubtedly contributed to our team's efficiency and positive atmosphere.

I've noticed that the completion of the assigned task has been pending for the past three weeks, and there hasn't been clear communication about the reasons behind this delay. Understanding the challenges you may be facing will help us find solutions together and ensure the smooth progress of the team. I appreciate your ongoing commitment and look forward to addressing any obstacles you may encounter.

Thank you for your understanding and continued efforts.

Lillom January 2nd

A professional and understanding message!

Lillom January 2nd

Let's practice giving constructive feedback.

This is the situation.

Hello CoffeePerson198!

Thanks for your reliable and deeply empathetic replies! It is much appreciated by many. I was wondering if you could update me on your situation regarding the assigned task delegated to you? It would be wonderful if you could share a bit more about your current situation! 

Kind regards,
Lillom

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

calmstrawberry0608 February 18th

Short, but sweet! I love this

NewYorker11 January 9th

@FrenchToast

"Stanley, all due praise is evident for your ability to multitask every morning, the office would not be the same without you! one suggestion that i would give to you Stanley, please pace yourself and give yourself the necessary time to relax and be well, as too much activity can lead to stress related complications. also, i must give much praise to you, for showing up to work ontime on a consistent basis, this department is in debt to you Stanley!"

ReganL January 27th

@NewYorker11

Extremely good response friend! 

~ Regan

NewYorker11 January 28th

@ReganL

thanks again for your words of encouragement, it means alot! 

ReganL January 27th

@FrenchToast

sername: CoffeePerson198

Hello coffee! I hope all is well with you, I admire your dedication to those around you and the members you help. Your punctuality is extremely wonderful to see. I would like to bring up that you have had some task for three weeks now. I was wondering if everything is alright? Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you. You are doing amazing work and have so hard working skills and amazing dedication. Thank you for all you do!

~ Regan 

quietlistener2023 February 2nd

@ReganL  Your response was warm and emphathetic...yet you got the point across.  A good response

DanCat1128 January 29th

Hi coffee how are you doing? Thank you for your quick response! Is there anything I can do to help you achieve your task? I love your empathy and caring for others!!! It's amazing 🙂

@ReganL You are doing an amazing job with the leadership development program!!!!!

Cynthialy July 10th

@DanCat1128 good feedback :)

quietlistener2023 February 2nd

@FrenchToast

✒️ You are a leader of the team and have been tasked with giving constructive feedback. Please draft a message of no less than two sentences using the sandwich method (praise + constructive feedback + praise

Hi Coffee.  This a quick message to catch up and ask how things are going.  We know you as reliable and punctual and admire the fact that your response rate I under 24 hours.  However, it seems that you have not completed the assigned task given to you and it has been over three weeks.  I have not received any communication from you regarding this and so I hope to reach out to offer any support if you are having problems and to find out the reason for this delay.  You are a caring and emphathetic member of our team who we truly respect and value so we hope this can be resolved as soon as possible.

SilverSeastar February 6th

Hi, @quietlistener2023

What an effective answer! You're doing great. 🌟

quietlistener2023 February 7th

@SilverSeastar

Thank you so much.  I hope you are doing well as well

SilverSeastar February 6th

Hello, CoffeePerson198, how have you been? I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the effort you’ve put into your work recently. First of all, I commend your punctuality. Your consistent timely responses significantly contribute to our team’s efficiency. Additionally, your empathy and genuine care for others are valuable for a supportive and collaborative work environment.

While I appreciate these qualities, I’ve also noticed in these three weeks, the task assigned to you has not been completed within the expected timeframe, and I have not received updates of its progress. Effective communication is important for our team’s success. I believe that by leveraging your empathetic nature, we can work together to address any challenges you may be facing, to ensure we can support you appropriately and keep our project on track.

I understand sometimes unforeseen circumstances can arise, and I'm here to assist you in any way I can. Please take a moment to update me on the status of the task and any difficulties you're encountering. Your openness and willingness to communicate will allow us to find solutions together and adjust our plans as needed. Thank you for embodying these positive traits and for your continued dedication to our team's success!

serenePeace3726 February 6th

@SilverSeastar fabulous response! You're killing it!❤️

serenePeace3726 February 6th

Hi there, I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to reach out and express my gratitude for your unwavering dedication to the community. Your compassion and empathy are truly admirable. I noticed that I haven't heard back from you regarding your current task, and I just wanted to check in and see if everything is okay. Do you need any support or assistance with what you're working on? Please respond as soon as you can,  I am here for you and appreciate all that you do. Thank you.

WishUponAStar968 February 21st

@serenePeace3726

-Serene, I love the sandwich response you gave, positive, constructive feedback, then positive.  I enjoyed reading that as a leader you are always there for them and you gave such positive feedback and a very gentle constructive feedback, ensuring that you are open to helping them complete tasks.

calmstrawberry0608 February 18th

Hi Coffee! Thank you for always caring and checking up on others, not just within our team, but all around you. I was reaching out because I noticed how the task you have been assigned has not been completed within a reasonable amount of time. I understand if you are busy, so please let me know if there is any way that I can help you complete this. Your empathy is appreciated and I hope to hear from you soon!

Countrygirl095 February 20th

@FrenchToast As a leader, Trades Coffee exhibits several positive traits, including punctuality, timely response, and genuine care for individuals. However, there are areas of improvement identified, such as not completing assigned tasks for three weeks, not communicating reasons for the delay, and failing to establish open lines of communication with the leader. Dear Coffee,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for your unwavering support towards others. Your kind and compassionate nature is truly admirable, and it speaks volumes about your character.

Now, I would like to address the pending task that you was assigned roughly three weeks ago. I was wondering if there has been any development or if there is anything I should be aware of. It has been a while since we last spoke, and I would appreciate if you could provide me with an update.

While I understand that you may have other responsibilities, it would be greatly appreciated if you could follow up with me regarding this matter. Your promptness in addressing my concerns has been commendable, and I'm happy to see that your response rate is less than 24 hours. Thank you for being such a dedicated member of our team at 7 Cups.

Once again, thank you for your hard work and commitment to helping others. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Stomping on CP
WishUponAStar968 February 21st

@FrenchToast

Hello CoffeePerson198, I hope you are having a wonderful day!  I wanted to appreciate you in saying how motivating and inspiring you have been with responding to others so quickly, and feedback I am hearing is that you are quite empathetic, you actively listen, you genuinely care about your members and people and that is a very important mindset to have when listening and helping others.  I've noticed that for the last few weeks you haven't turned in your completed tasks and was checking in on you to see if the pacing is going ok, if you needed any help in a timeline or guides for completing those tasks, or in general if theres anything I can help you with to complete those tasks.  I am always open for communication and here for you so please never hesitate to reach out!  You are an asset to our community and we know how hard you've been working with members to ensure a safe and positive environment.  You are caring, empathetic and want the best for others, so again please don't hesitate to reach out to me for any of your needs, I'd be glad to help.

ChromaticFinss February 28th

@WishUponAStar968 Well structured 😊💜

ChromaticFinss February 28th

Hey Coffee! I hope you are having a good day.

You are very much valuable to our team since you are a very punctual and empathetic person. These qualities are very much helpful and essential in our journey. 

I would like to draw your attention to a task that has been pending for three weeks. I hope everything is fine. If you are finding any confusions or barriers regarding the completion of the task, feel free to reach out. Let me know if you need any assistance and support in this matter. 

Your contributions are highly pertinent and foremost for our growth. I'm glad that you are here. Take care. 

JustSophia March 11th

@ChromaticFinss

Very clear and to the point!

wonderousLove3994 March 2nd

@FrenchToast@FrenchToast

Hey! I wanted to thank you for your great work and your immediate responds to anyone reaching you. I also wanted to bring to your attention that some of your tasks are are not completed and you didn't reach out for help. So I wanted to know if everything is going alright. Thanks for your dedication for the program. Keep inspiring people.

sky2Ocean20 March 11th

@wonderousLove3994

I love how short and simply you have communicated that given example situation ! 

4Jasmine March 4th

@FrenchToast

Hi Coffee,

I am so thankful that you are on our team. You, re empathy and compassion for others is wonderful. I really appreciate all that you do at 7 Cups. I'd like to mention the task you were given about three weeks ago which has no been completed. I was wondering if there is something I don't know about that would explain why this task remains incompleted since you are always so punctual. I would appreciate hearing from you regarding this unfinished task. I appreciate everything you do for others at 7 Cups. I look forward to hearing from you. 

4Jasmine March 4th

@4Jasmine

Frustrated by missing a couple of type-o's. I need to triple check my writing/ typing, knowing that my dyslexic issues sometimes cause me to miss writing/typing issues. I'll try harder to catch more of my mistakes and type-o's. 

March 8th

@FrenchToast

Hey CoffeePerson198, I hope you are you are ok. You are doing a great job by caring for a lot of people and being empathetic to people, Its truly amazing how quick your response times are. I observed that you are not assigned the task of 3 weeks and I wanna know if you're ok?? Please tell me if there's anything you need from me or from anyone in the community but If you could just let me know that would be great, and don't forget to take care of yourself.

JustSophia March 11th

Hi Coffee.  I wanted to pop in and just thank you for all that you do.  I've seen you be so empathetic toward other listeners in the Listener Support Room who are struggling, and it's been so great to witness.  Thank you for being such a caring presence there.  

I do want to chat with you about how you get tasks done and your communication around this.  I know that sometimes tasks you've agreed to do don't get done for 3 weeks or more.  You're not in trouble.  I understand that sometimes it can get difficult to get things done for a variety of reasons.  I need you to communicate with me about it, though.  Let's talk and work together to address whatever the issue may be.  What would be a good time to do this?

I know that you're so consistent in responding to members within 24 hours, and that you demonstrate so much respect in always showing up on time.  Your dedication is clear.  I'm betting that a little teamwork could help us behind the scenes.  

Thank you so much for your sevice and I look forward to working more with you!

daydreammemories March 18th

@JustSophia

Wow, nicely put 👌

JustSophia March 18th

@daydreammemories

Thank you! :)

sky2Ocean20 March 11th

@FrenchToast

Hi coffee, I hope you are doing well. I wanted to stop by and appreciate how caring and empathetic you are towards people. I was wondering about the updates of the assigned task which needed to be completed 3 weeks before. since you did not reach out to me, I am up for a discussion. Feel free to let me know if you are having any difficulties. I admire that you are punctual and have an impressive 24-hour response time.  Your contribution to this community is inspiring. Have a great day. 

TheOnlyChresser March 11th

@sky2Ocean20 i really like this response i should have taken some inspiration before writing my

sky2Ocean20 March 12th

@TheOnlyChresser

sending-love.gif

TheOnlyChresser March 11th

Hi Coffee

I want to start off by telling you its really nice to have you in the team :D You are responsive and punctive which are both great traits but i also want to talk with you since ive noticed you havent been communicating lately and havent done your assigned task for 3 weeks so just curious if you want to tell me more about the reasons behind? you are a really empathic person and i believe you arent doing this to hurt anyone so i hope you want to resign this issue with me.

Best regards
Chresser