Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #39: How has depression changed your perspective on life?

ASilentObserver July 23rd

Hello all, I hope you are all being easy on yourself this week.

A couple of weeks ago we discussed: Imagine a perfect day where you feel neither lonely nor depressed. Describe what that day would look like. Thank you to all who participated and shared their thoughts and questions for discussion. They were thought-provoking questions and thoughts. I hope you all did too. If you didn't share yours, please share them here and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you

This week's prompt: How has depression changed your perspective on life?

Let's get started and share your thoughts with us. I look forward to hearing all your thoughts and ideas. 

Note: I invite all to help me with creating these weekly prompt discussions so that we all can come together and discuss something related to depression every week. If you any interested in helping me out, please share your interest through this form and  I will reach out to you to guide and support you in creating the next discussion. 

missing-you-no-texts.gif
Gargi07 July 23rd

@Gargi07

On the other side depression hits you like a freight train you never saw coming. It’s like waking up every day in this heavy fog that never lifts. I used to see the world in bright colors, but now everything's kinda muted, like someone turned down the saturation on life. It’s made me realize how fragile we all are, you know? I look at people differently now, like everyone’s got their own invisible scars.Some days, just getting out of bed feels like climbing Everest. It’s taught me to cherish the little things—those fleeting moments of peace and clarity, like the rare sunshine on a rainy day. Self-care has gone from being a buzzword to a lifeline. Setting boundaries isn’t just important; it’s essential. And the people who stick around? They’re gold, man. Depression’s a cruel teacher, but it’s shown me who really matters and what’s worth fighting for. It’s a battle, every single day, but it's one that’s made me more resilient, more aware, and strangely enough, more hopeful.

This post has been deleted
Athena108 July 23rd

@Gargi07

I wanted to reply to this incredible thing, but have no words. Just...wow.

Gargi07 July 23rd

@Athena108

Dw, I understand hehe thankyou 🤍🌻☀️

@ASilentObserver  I think living with depression makes me feel like I have low expectations for everything.  It feels a bit like living without hope.  I'm currently working on two classes to help me get back into working in tech and I have a very hard time visualizing myself achieving this goal.  I feel like I need to start journaling again, but then its like I've done that before.  I feel like I'm living my life in a circle.

BlueDarkAurora July 23rd

@selfdisciplinedPenny281 Low expectations can prevent future hurt sometimes ^^ but I do understand what you mean, it takes the excitement away. 

The thing about hope is that it can very easily hide itself, there's some kind of hope involved in everything we do, though how much belief we give it is a different thing. Your hopes are still there but maybe a bit weaker so keep holding on till their voices can be heard again. And I'll hope that things get easier for you <3 :)

BlueDarkAurora July 23rd

@ASilentObserver It has made me realise how unkind people can be but it has also helped me see the kindness in my heart. It opens the door for a lot of darkness but the struggle makes you want to be a helping hand to someone else cause you know what it feels like and how bad it can get to deal with things on your own. 

The most important thing I guess for me is that you learn how strong you are. There are days when even a courtesy smile can be a daunting task but we still do it and we still go on with life and work and our responsibilities. 

Iamwhoiamwhoami July 23rd

As one who has lived in the depths of the darkness for nearly fifty years, it has recently changed my perspective that it can’t get any deeper or darker to one of I was wrong as usual. .

Not exactly what you were looking for but that’s my take on the question.

aCalmOasis July 25th

@ASilentObserver

My depression showed me that I am much stronger than I give myself credit for, because even though I had bouts of depression on and off throughout my life, I never stopped trying to pull myself out of the hole I was in. I could have done plenty of things better. I could reached out to my friends much sooner. However, I am an introvert by nature so that doesnt feel natural for me. I also realized that depression acts like a warning signal that shows you that something is missing from your life (Purpose, relationship, community, spirituality) it could be any number of things. It is almost as if depression is our bodies way of telling us that something needs to change. The irony is that when we are depressed we often dont want to engage with anyone or anything, so to fight against that we need extra help. We need a support system to be put in place to help us to get through it. Having our friends or a community to help encourage and steward us back to functioning. During this process the hope then is to find out what it is that we are missing from our lives and take the necessary steps to correct it.

reallyoverallofit July 25th

When I'm going through an episode it makes everything seem pointless, hopeless, and like why bother. After an episode it gives me anxiety because I feel like I have so much to do while I'm not super numb but then it overwhelms me because I neglect so much when I am depressed that I just end up doing little to nothing. Which triggers the depression again. 

alysianna July 25th

@ASilentObserver

How has depression changed your perspective on life? idk as I feel like  have been depressed since I was like 3 or 4 but as I have aged *** I have gotton angered easeir 

Angelanj July 26th

@ASilentObserver I have been experiencing feelings of depression for a while, but I am not diagnosed with it. My perspective on life has been clouded recently by these feelings becoming more intense. I've been having more and more trouble finding joy in everyday things, and I've started to doubt the purpose of my own life. Despite this, I'm trying for a more positive perspective on life everyday.

Tinywhisper11 July 30th

@ASilentObserver I'm generally quite a happy bubbly person who loves life, and is very thankful for everything I have. I see the magic and beauty that surrounds us everyday ❤ 

But depression is one of my diagnosis, and when it hits it hits hard. It's hard to be positive during those times, and I forget the little things, like what makes me happy what I'm grateful for. 

But I don't let it change my views on the world, or life, and all the amazing people in this world ❤

dhabib July 31st

@ASilentObserver it has depression has in friendships not having trust it’s in someone you love they give your information to someone else without ur permission they try to put you down with their words physically attack you their begging to steal from you they beg for attention 

Gettingbettertoday July 31st

@ASilentObserver

Without getting into too much detail it has made me look at life from the viewpoint of a wad of gum on the sidewalk.

Some days it's hot and somedays its cold but everyday is the chance of getting stepped on. 

tommy July 31st

test

tommy July 31st

@ASilentObserver

testing

tommy July 31st

testing

Heather225 August 1st

@ASilentObserver

test

Gettingbettertoday August 1st

@ASilentObserver

Before depression: life was exciting and there were many things to look forward to.

With depression: I can now picture the end of my life without fear. 

TheSunParadox33 August 3rd

Depression has been a real potential killer for me over the years. I’m 35 and have been married for over 13 years and has 2 kids and I’m just realizing I’ve been depressed almost my whole life.

It causes me to lose my short term memory and really kills my motivation and drive but I’m trying really hard to push through it each day! I do this by making a list of goals and things I need to do either that day or that week. I feel so much better when I am able to gather my thoughts and put them on paper and then have something to work towards.

depression has been a challenge but I am learning to overcome it and I know you will too!!

barncat August 5th

@ASilentObserver  it has been a cycle throughout my married life,  hit bottom and then rebound 

towards the light.

indigoEyes2672 August 10th

@ASilentObserver I don't know. I just feel like something enjoyable should be over. Because I can't quite focus on it maybe

@ASilentObserver apparently my depression was 83% last week. I don't know how to fix it. I like dancing.

Is this how u post

Gettingbettertoday August 13th

@ASilentObserver

Testing

@ASilentObserver Depression has certainly changed my outlook on life. It's like being under a dark cloud, where everything seems grey and pointless. It's like being stuck in a hole and you can't see a way out. It makes it hard to enjoy things that used to bring me happiness, and it steals my energy and motivation. BUT despite all of the negative aspects of depression, I've learned some important lessons. I've learned to appreciate the small things in life, like a beautiful sunset, a warm smile, or the comfort of a loved one's embrace. I've also learned that I'm stronger than I thought I was, and that I have the ability to overcome even the most difficult challenges. I've learned that it's okay to ask for help and that there is hope for a brighter future.