Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Bon voyage, feed! The feed is retiring today

Jill7Cups November 4th, 2019

A few months ago we announced we would no longer be spending time on the feed and the bugs associated. The day has come where we retire the feed for good and remove it from the platform. We know some love the feature and will be sad to see it go and we get that. Thank you for being understanding and realizing that sometimes we have to make tough decisions for the greater good of the site.

MonBon November 5th, 2019

@frostyOcean72

The feed team that was run by Jenna has been discontinued since the original announcement in May. Feed team members on subcommunity teams will need to work out a new role with their community mentor leader or subcommunity ambassador if there is not a community mentor leader.

peppermintlove November 4th, 2019

Oh no! I am sad to see it go :(

lilmango November 4th, 2019

I just finished copying my feed into an archive. My feed that is like a diary to me but instead of holding on to all of the pain alone I let it out there where it can be seen on the readers terms. Pretty much the only place where I can put into words the thoughts that are important.

This is a mistake. Sigh.

windingfeather2 November 4th, 2019

@lilmango

i know what you mean.. hugs..

lilmango November 18th, 2019

Right now, I could really use the gentle place for my worries to exist. But it doesnt and what used to be there is locked up in an archive too.

fearlessWriter78 November 4th, 2019

😢

Aayla November 4th, 2019

I've never been a feed user, I much preferred other functions, but I understand the sadness of the people who loved it. I trust the 7 Cups team, and I know it's a well pondered decisions that was made for the best. They would never make such a hard decision if it wasn't for the benefit of the whole website. I congratulate the team for their continuous work and their courage to make this choice.

For all the feed users: if you hadn't done it before, you are more than welcome to join the forum activities! I'm sure you'll enjoy the subcommunities :)

Emmur November 4th, 2019

I'm sad to see the feed go. Here's to hoping that someday it will be replaced with something similar, but greater. 💕

sparklesinthewater November 4th, 2019

7cups is not my site, not my app, I don't make paying contributions so I am kind of a tolerated "guest", but my opinion and wish would be to keep the "feed" feature, I have learned alot from other's feeds and it was also a very personal non intrusive space for users to express themselves, more personal and unintrusive than a forum thread and more fit for states of mind, values or anything really...

It is not my business if it was a tech related decision or a "poitical" decision but if political, you may think about democracy and taking polls before decisions...so yes, it does make me sad to lose this feature and it seems many people feel like me...

@sparklesinthewater

The feed had a degree of freedom for tge user too, since you could erase it if not hearted or mentioned but in personal threads ypu don't even have the power to edit/manage your thread, you always have to bother someone with authority to do it for you...

RarelyCharlie November 4th, 2019

@sparklesinthewater When this was discussed in May we were told it's because the feed was implemented in a way that made it cost a lot of money to run.

At the time, @7CupsCommunity said (in reply to a question asked by @KarrotCake ):

We are going to use the time and resources we used to dedicate for fixing the feed toward creating a new feature. Ideally this new feature will retain the aspects of the feed we liked, while fixing the aspects we didn't, including a more sustainable and popular format.

Apparently this new feature hasn't happened, or hasn't happened yet.

I suppose the best thing to do is for everyone to create diary threads in Diary Entries & Connections or in Trauma Support's My Diary, and link them from our profiles. If you're quick you can copy the list of your feed followers and tag them in your new diary.

Charlie

@RarelyCharlie

If it was a tech or financial issue it may be understandable yet still regrettable...at least you know why it is happening even if you don't like it...thank you...

Jill7Cups OP November 4th, 2019

@sparklesinthewater literally both as stated in the original post. Otherwise we would have kept it. We are working on new/better features but it didn't make sense to keep paying (a lot) for a broken feature while we got the new stuff going. Thanks for understanding, many staff also enjoyed using it!

Dawn04 November 4th, 2019

@Jill7Cups Other websites have similar features they aren't removing, so I am having a really hard time believing it's a financial issue.

@Dawn04

I don't know their "innards", but a demanding contractor may be a financial issue but yet again I do not know their "innards"...

Anyway, even if it is a lie what does it matter anymore, the toy is taken from us so that's it I guess...

@Dawn04 you can believe what you choose, but we aren't other websites and we make decisions based on our own costs and objectives. I empathize that you are upset about this change. The only constant is change and the best we can do is learn to focus on what we can control vs what we can't.

Dawn04 November 5th, 2019

@Jill7Cups Just some of us do know about web design and the costs and know when something simply isn't true.

Especially considering this entire website runs on unpaid volunteers.

EvelyneRose November 5th, 2019

@Dawn04

Well yes you are right to an extent, but this website has an actual team that is paid that runs the site additionally- all the behind the scenes operations and such, so it might just be that running the feed costs too much to be worth any bugs, etc.

@EvelyneRose They stopped fixing any bugs over six months ago. So the feed has cost them $0.

@Jill7Cups

Thank you, it is easier to understand when things are explained and tgat reassures us even if we lost a good thing at least we understand why...

Thank you Jill...

RarelyCharlie November 5th, 2019

@sparklesinthewater It's definitely not a tech issue. The feed is (was) not a complex feature and it could have been converted into a forum feature (and still appear embedded in profiles).

What we were told was that the feed used a separate server, which was costly. That is plausible. However, moving it into the forum would have moved it to the same server as the forum. Traditionally at 7 Cups, the community is not told enough details to be able to make complete sense of these things.

Charlie

TheZu November 5th, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

ever the best rescue, i bow with gratitude unto ye =]

@sparklesinthewater I feel removing the feed is a huge mistake as well as it is going to cost the site a lot of members who do use the feed.

@Dawn04

True but yet again, s..t happens...such is life...

RarelyCharlie November 7th, 2019

@NoneTheWiser Yes indeed! After previous communication problems to see this happen again has been quite shocking.

Charlie

onwardforevenmore November 4th, 2019

@Jill7Cups oooh! I put things there I wanted to come back to. Is there a way to download my feed before it goes away?

peppermintlove November 4th, 2019

@onwardforevenmore

Do let me know if you find the answer to this!

@onwardforevenmore great question- there is no way I am aware of. I would suggest spending some time today collecting any links or info you'd like to keep.

jennysunrise8 November 5th, 2019

@onwardforevenmore

you can highlight anything youd like to copy and then paste and email it to yourself you can also download an entire page through your browser wherever the dropdown is on your browser you can download a page maybe do both just to be sure

RarelyCharlie November 5th, 2019

@onwardforevenmore Yes, I believe there are some solutions here: How to Take a Screenshot of an Entire Webpage. You can capture your feed page or your profile page.

First you have to press the Show More button at the bottom again and again until there is no more to show. Then use any scrolling capture method that works for you. Note that image capture only captures what you can see. You need scrolling capture to get the entire page.

I have only used the first method described, print to file, so I now have my entire feed saved as a PDF.

Charlie

zaatarHoney November 4th, 2019

@Jill7Cups

*pouts pouts pouts*
RIP the feed )

soulsings November 4th, 2019

@Jill7Cups the feed helped us grow. It was instrumental in bringing info to others. Good bye feed sad

@soulsings With these changes, the site is hardly enticing anyone to stay any more.

@Dawn04

How many times can I say "true"...😔😔😔

@soulsings

Yes souls, we lost smth good...

FuturesRise November 4th, 2019

Im happy to see it go, i could.never control my own feed any way because it just became a place for others to advertise help-wanted and "my feed" was never mine except for on that first day.

Good riddance!

@FuturesRise Only you can post on your feed.

FuturesRise November 4th, 2019

@Dawn04

WRONG

TRY AGAIN

You should see my feed. Im the last person being seen on the so called "my feed"

@FuturesRise I've been here for years.....you can be tagged, but only you post in your feed.