Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #5) Approaching Conflict Resolution: Dealing with Issues Directly

Heather225 August 7th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Any  community is going to go through challenges and sometimes people are going to be in conflict with one another or have disagreements. All of that is okay and should be welcomed and even expected. The trick is to figure out what is the best way to address these issues so that we can continue to grow individually and as a community. Most ethical codes for professions recommend approaching the person that you have an issue with to try to resolve it with them first. If you feel safe and comfortable, then that is the best way to go. Here are some other helpful guidelines for conflict resolution brought to you by @Tazzie (original post)!

â  Step back and slow down
â  Avoid repeating unhelpful behaviors in conflicts.
â  Habits can be changed through awareness.
â  Think before you put your words across in order to avoid something that will escalate the conflict.

â  Show clarity regarding your intentions and goals for the conversation
â  Avoid blaming or changing another person's point of view.
â  Listen to learn something new and express your views and feelings professionally.

â  Avoid assumptions and ask questions to explore the other persons story
â  Listen to the person on the opposite end as they will more likely try to understand you.
â  Do not convince them you are right.
â  Be aware of potential barriers to listening.

â  Express your feelings without holding the other person accountable for the conflict
â  Use I statements to express yourself.
â  State a feeling rather than judging.

â  Be responsible for your assumptions
â  On the internet, messages can be interpreted in several ways. To think that your beliefs and conclusions about  others are the truth, will only escalate the conflict.
â  Share your interpretation of the messages received.

â  Find a common ground
â Reaching a common ground will make it easier to resolve the conflict and will diffuse defensiveness.

-

Question time!

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?
2.)  Can you think of any tips  we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

KindnessMatters2020 August 7th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Yes, I manage conflict resolution at my management job routinely. My strategy is to get both people together to look at what the mutual goal is in their work/issue. Then, we talk through scenarios using a collaborative approach to address the issue effectively and efficiently as a team instead of as individuals trying to prove their point.

2. My tip for conflict resolution is to listen more than you talk. When you spend a great deal of time trying to defend your viewpoint, you stop listening to the feedback being given.

Grace8402 August 7th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

Your answer is really insightful! And yes, trying to listen more than you talk is a great tip. Thank you for sharing! 😄

shiningDay80 September 1st, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

I really liked how you practiced with scenarios to get them to look at the bigger picture. Great Job!

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

Nice answer! I like how you said to listen more than you talk. That is the most important part, for both sides

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

Wonderful answers, Kindness! I completely agree with you. I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

peacefulWarrior10 October 3rd, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

Wow I love your tip. Gonna use it myself. Thanks!

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020 i think that these statements are totally true!

wanjiku November 30th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

this is a good answer. i like your tip.

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020

These are such amazing tips, thank you! <3

She13 December 16th, 2020

@KindnessMatters2020 -I like your answer :)

MyNameIsNicole January 3rd, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020

Wow. You must have a lot of experience with dealing with conflict then :)

Great thing to point out.

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020 awesome!

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020 awesome answer!

blindHeart12 April 17th, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020

Collobarative approach to solve conflict that good idea kindness and it seem you would be expert in handling it. As it daily basis you are facing this situation.

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 20th, 2021

@blindHeart12

Awesome reply!

giggleZebra2708 April 21st, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020

Your answer is really informative and well put

Thanks for sharing

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

That’s great and I agree

@Enbyowl

So do I!

Livingtohelplive January 30th, 2022

Hello there!

Active listening and trying to relate at least a Bit is an amazing point.

I love your response!

Sending energy and strenght!

Lots of love,

🌸Hana🌸

AuroraBriarRose0 April 28th, 2022

@KindnessMatters2020

Listening is definitely important. It's hard to see what someone else is thinking if you are focused on your own ideas and point of view.

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@KindnessMatters2020

A great answer !

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

@KindnessMatters2020

I agree, that it is the prefect way, of resolving, the situation

Grace8402 August 7th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Yes, I often found myself in such situations while I was studying in a boarding school. And I think trying to understand the other person's intentions and perspective can always help deescalate a situation.

2. Trying to find the point of the conflict could be of help because sometimes we tend to get into a dispute for things that don't matter. So, taking a step back and seeing if it is even worth it could be used as a tool

Thank you and looking forward to the next discussion! 😄

shiningSound31 September 14th, 2020

@Grace8402

I really like your tips, Grace! Thanks for sharing that! I wish you the best in your journey ahead!

Grace8402 September 21st, 2020

@shiningSound31

Thank you so much!! I wish you the same! 😄

shiningSound31 September 21st, 2020

@Grace8402

heartsmileyheart

Liru0417 September 19th, 2020

@Grace8402

I agree that finding the root cause of the problem really helps in resolving the conflict! Great insights, Grace!

Grace8402 September 21st, 2020

@Liru0417

Thank you so much, Liru! Have a great day! 😄

peacefulWarrior10 October 3rd, 2020

@Grace8402

Must have been difficult to stay in boarding school. I can imagine random conflicts occurring. And your approach of resolving it shows you're a calm and thoughtful person!

Grace8402 October 5th, 2020

@peacefulWarrior10

Yepp! It was difficult initially but as kids, we didn't take ourselves too seriously and that's helped me a lot! Thank you for your reply!

MyNameIsNicole January 3rd, 2021

@Grace8402

That honestly makes so much sense.

Grace8402 January 26th, 2021

@MyNameIsNicole

Nicole!! 🥰

goldenFriend9335 February 3rd, 2021

@Grace8402

brilliant job, I found this supper helpful

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@Grace8402

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@Grace8402 I loved the tip!

@Grace8402

It's awesome how organized you are! :)

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Grace8402

Thats a beautiful answer !

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 7th, 2020

@Heather225smiley

1.) Have you ever been on either side of conflict resolution situation? How did you resolve it?

Yes of course all through life and working in Health care and also On Mental Health sites as Mod . You listen to what happened and work with the ones involved and be equally open minded and work with them to resolve what happened and how to move on. I believe everything can be worked on and worked out if people are willing to take accountability .

2.) Can you think of any tips we haven't listed to facilitate healthy conflict-resolution?

Allow each person to speak . Stay Nuetral, Do not take sides, Do not Validate inappropriate behavior or pacify either one but empathize and explain that you here as a mediator wanting to help work through what went on. Do not become a Enabler of continued behaviors when someone is not willing to work on their issue nor taking accountability.

Just my thought and what I have dealt with.. We need to be accountable for our actions and our words and we can all fall short and not always believe we did or said anything wrong.. we can hurt others untentionally or feel peer pressured .

shiningDay80 September 1st, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I Totally agree with holding both parties accountable for their behaviors and not enabling them to continue those behaviors. One day, they will have to learn how to communicate effectively.

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Accountability is important across both sides. I agree.