Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 3: When you don't get the role you want

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

JoyHappyNess March 24th, 2023

@vivelespatates

Great answer Patates and I like how you ask additional questions....

what do I do when I applied, and NEVER heard back, not even negative or positive? After how long it's ok to contact the leader?

and if we don't know who the leader is?

Those are interesting questions and I am also curious to know how to behave in these situations. Do you give up? Do you keep texting? Where do I post my concerns in the scenario where I don't know the leader? @FrenchToastClub

FrenchToast OP March 24th, 2023
@JoyHappyNess @vivelespatates I do believe the general rule of thumb is for leaders to send out rejections. If you haven't heard back at all in a week, it is useful to follow up after a week has passed to get more information. If you don't know the leader, you can ask either an ambassador or an admin to help you out as well, and I am sure they would be more than happy to direct you to the leader.
vivelespatates March 24th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub I applied 3 times for the same role within a 6 months range, and I havent heard back for any of three. It's sure disappointing.

FrenchToast OP March 24th, 2023

@vivelespatates If you want to PM me about what role it was, I am happy to reach out on your behalf and connect you with the leaders so you can get appropriate feedback for rejections or reasons.

FrenchMarbles March 15th, 2023

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hi, thank you so much for reaching out to me; while I am disappointed I did not get the role I wanted, I know that there are others out there, and it will take some time to find the proper role that matches my skills. I hope you have a good day and no hard feelings between us.

FeureVox March 19th, 2023

@FrenchMarbles

That is indeed a very positive response to encourage yourself to keep trying.

@FrenchMarbles

Such positive attitude Marbles😀... Impressive message to the leader

whimsicalCloud4661 June 19th

@FrenchMarbles 

nice response :)

FeureVox March 16th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hello Leader; thank you very much for reaching out to me on my leadership role. I feel sad and happy at the same time about having honest feedback. I would appreciate it if you could please share words of advice and feedback, which will help me to improve my performance and future dealings.

FeureVox

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 20th, 2023

@FeureVox

well said. You got to point and was clear about what you wanted to say.

@FeureVox

Awesome, 😎 I smiled when I read that you felt happy and sad... You were true about your feelings to the leader and I'm sure such a message would warrant the leader's help on how to improve yourself.

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@FeureVox I like how you asked for feedback!

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 20th, 2023

Hi leader,

Thanks for reaching out about role. I am just wondering if you can give me some insight on why I did not get the role? Can u also give me feedback on what I can do to help me get the role in the future?

I think I would do some self care off. Cups before I contact the leader so I would be calm when I try to talk to the leader,

AvyIsKing March 21st, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Great answer!

@Waterfallsofnature36

Doing self care before approaching the leader is highly commendable😀

AvyIsKing March 21st, 2023

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you

Hi leader,

thank you for reaching out about my role, i was wondering if you could offer an information on why

i didn't get the role, and possibly offer some feedback to help me get the role in the future.

@Jefferythebunny319

Asking the why is a very crucial step as it provides opportunities for feedback. I like your approach😀

March 22nd, 2023

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

Firstly, I would step back, and take a moment to regain my composure. Then I would reach out to the leader as followed below.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hey <leader's name>, thank you for informing me. Though I'm a bit sad that I wasn't able to get the role this time, I think it would be appreciated if you could provide feedback on my performance, so that I can work on the areas which require improvement. Thanks again for reaching out!

@charmingFlower8111

I like the message to the leader. It shows a desire to grow.

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

@charmingFlower8111

This is a very great response to that. I like how you put it and its short, sweet, and simple!

@FrenchToastClub

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

First of all it would hurt and I wouldn't want to bottle up the feelings. I would practice self care immediately. Then after I'm relaxed, I would come back and look for ways to improve myself so as to get the role when I apply next time. It might be talking to mentors.

I would appreciate the leader then ask for help to improve myself. If the leader is willing, we can set up a meeting after a month for example, to evaluate my performance and recommendation.

CurrySoup12 March 30th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess I couldn't have said it better myself :D

JoyHappyNess March 31st, 2023

@CurrySoup12

Thank you ❤️❤️❤️

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

I think this is an awesome response(:

JoyHappyNess April 20th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

Thank you Ruby

KarmaTheRascal March 24th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If I found out I was not given the role you(I) wanted you should respond respectfully and ask any questions you have as to why you didn't get it. I would respond to the leader with the following (if the leader didn't reach out to me already):

Hey (Leader's name),

I've noticed I didn't get the role I applied for. It's upsetting. Is there anything I can do and or change to get the role? Are there any tips for the requirements of the role? Are there any personal tips to get the role? Overall, may I get some feedback on how to do better?

If the leader did reach out to me I would put:

Hey (leader's name):

Thank you for reaching out to me! Thank you for letting me know this, is there any way I can fix this to get the role? Do you have any feedback as to how I can get the role?

Thank you so much! <3

CurrySoup12 March 30th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I would take some time to really reflect on it (away from 7-cups).

I would remember that it's not personal and that it's an opportunity for me to continue working on my strengths.

I would respond by letting them know I appreciate the work they do and trust that the decisions they have made are for the benefit of the wider community.

beyoutofullkalon March 31st, 2023

@CurrySoup12

I would do something similar too! :)

ItsMrEnigma April 6th, 2023

@CurrySoup12

I agree with this!

beyoutofullkalon March 31st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If I find out I wasn't given a role I would, first, thank the leader for giving me the opportunity and value what I've learnt through the process. Next, I would request the leader for feedback or request a mentor who could help me improve. If required I would take a self-care break as well.

ItsMrEnigma April 6th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I would thank the leader for informing me, ask politely for some pointers on how I could get the position next time. Then plan a way to get it.

GermanZebraCupcake May 29th, 2023

@ItsMrEnigma

This is a great way to move forward honestly!

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub I read a book years ago called GO FOR NO! Yes is the destination, NO is how you get there. It completely changed how I thought of rejection and not getting what I wanted. A no just means you are getting closer to your goal or maybe you will see another opportunity along the way to your goal. I would congratulate anyone on a new role or any progress they made, even if it was a role that I wanted. I'd be happy for them!

Smrtbibliophile May 12th, 2023

@Heart4art

I love your response. I think there's a lot to be learned from "failure" (or as you said the no's we get). There's a great meme floating around the internet that discusses the "failures" of now successful people and many of them contribute the no's to helping them work harder.

There's a great quote by Walt Disney and it's displayed in the movie Meet The Robinsons, and Disney says "Around here we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward - opening new doors and doing new things because we're curious and curiousity keeps leading us down new paths."

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I would obviously thank them and let them know that I appreciate them telling me. I would also ask if there was something specific that I should work on so I can be better at what I do. I personally wouldn't be hurt honestly... there are always more opportunities out there that I could contribute to(:

JoyHappyNess April 20th, 2023

@Rubylistens22

Wow, that's the winner spirit😃. You believe that they are better things out there after asking for feedback from the evaluator. Great response

RainbowRosie April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

🌹

Hi XXXXXX, hope you are doing well.

Thanks so much for the update and getting back to me.

Whilst I wish the news were different, I’d welcome any feedback or guidance you could offer me.

I thought the role was something I’d enjoy and I’d not hesitate to re-apply again in the future.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards

RainbowRosie 🌈

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

🌹I agreed with the point Curry Soup12 made to remember it’s nothing personal and a good opportunity to work on strengths.

zaatarHoney April 20th, 2023

@RainbowRosie

There was so much courage behind your words. ☺️ You were able to express disappointment and a passionate continued interest, while also seeking feedback to take into consideration moving forward. This was great work, Rosie. 💟

zaatarHoney April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Everything in good timing. I don't tend to apply if I'm not confident I can bring something special to a role or team and that I'm incapable of seeing a role through. However, you never know who else is also applying and what they bring- so my philosophy is, if not me, then there was someone who would do an even greater job and if that's the case, isn't that what you would want? If there is someone who would pour just as much love into it and do even greater work, then it's a win-win because our intention should be to better whatever community we're serving.

With that said, I would thank them and ask to be kept in consideration for other roles they feel I may be a great fit for moving forward. I may also ask them what I should work on to improve my chances of being brought on at the same or similar capacity should an opportunity arise in the future. <3

broadfemmelovelive April 27th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

Love the confidence you show in this response :)