Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

2) Community Questions and Answers - The Basis of Mental Health Awareness and Support

SoulfullyAButterfly January 24th, 2021

As previously introduced, the Questions and Answers Pages at 7 Cups offer a wide range of quality based answers to common mental health questions

Questions and Answers are available for 38 main categories, ranging from General Mental Health, Disabilities, Managing Emotions, Loneliness, Grief, Recovery, Student Life, Work Stress, and many more!

Through this directory of available knowledge, awareness, and support, 7 Cups is equipped with answers to the common questions and concerns people have. Most of these Questions and Answers are featured in search engine results due to the value of the content they contain.

The main community Questions and Answers Page offers a recent questions section as well as a section containing the most answered questions.

All 7 Cups users are invited to search for or ask new questions through the main page. Community users can also participate in this area by submitting their answers, which are reviewed by a team for quality and other important requirements.

Through this discussion, we will discuss the basic requirements needed to research as well as write quality answers for the Question and Answer Pages. Additionally, we will optimize the drafted answers in light of certain guidelines.

(i) Basic Research and Writing Requirements: When writing answers to community questions, keep in mind these tips:

• You need to write a minimum of 150 characters and 100 words.

• If research is needed to guide your answer, consider only learning about the topic and avoid direct copy/pasting researched tips, advice, or information.

• Consider verifying the information or facts through at least 2 reliable sources.

• When researching possible answers or things the person can benefit from, consider their circumstances and if the tip is do-able and generally applicable.

• Avoid plagiarism.

• Use professional and appropriate language.

• If comfortable, you can add a personal anecdote to help add meaning to your answer. However, avoid turning the answer to just your account or an entire focus on your experience.

• Be empathetic, and consider using active listening skills to help not only answer their question but their feelings - this adds connection and meaning to your answer, as well as identifies understanding, which can lead to trust.

• Answers should be related to the question and must contain tips or approaches to help deal with the question/situation instead of vague responses, even if positive.

• 7 Cups is based on avoiding direct advice, this is because we do not know the complete scenario or situation a person may be facing. Keeping that in mind, avoid giving answers that provide one possible “solution” - a good tip is to consider encompassing all possible outcomes or more than one thing the person can try.

(ii) Ensuring Optimized Answers: Although the above requirements and tips help deliver a great answer, further optimization of drafted answers can help ensure their quality.

At 7 Cups, the Content Team uses researched and identified important keywords to guide their research and the writing process to result in optimized content as answers to community questions. In this regard, the basic tips/requirements involved are:

• Ensure answers have at least 8 to 10 sentences.

• Ensure the usage/incorporation of the maximum number or all of the provided keywords that can relate to the topic.

What are Keywords?

Generally, keywords can be thought of as terms or phrases that describe a piece of content. Related keywords are supporting keywords that can help further describe or expand on that initial content. For example, for the keyword “anxiety”, related keywords can be “anxiety symptoms” or “anxiety treatments”.

Keywords help with search engine marketing and hence are an important part of SEO strategies. A simple strategy to find keywords is to look for Google Related Searches. These related searches are searches that relate to your term. For instance, a Google Related Search for “anxiety symptoms” is “what is anxiety” - using this insight, you can consider including this phrase alongside a brief category of your content outline to help strengthen the optimization of your content.

For other free tools to help with keyword research, you can visit this external link.

Activity

Review this Sample Optimized Answer:

Question: How do paper bags help with panic attacks?

Provided Keywords: asthma attack, heart attacks, asthma, problems, brown paper bag, medical conditions, hyperventilation syndrome, mouth, respiratory alkalosis, common causes, chest pain, benefit, stress, medications

Approved, Optimized Answer:

While panic attacks might mimic the symptoms of heart attacks, they can be caused by several other problems and medical conditions. These include feeling stressed or facing medical conditions such as asthma attacks, hyperventilation syndrome, or even respiratory alkalosis. Although the common causes may differ, common symptoms include chest pain. Deep breathing through the mouth or by using a brown paper bag has its benefits, as it aids in the restoration of the loss of carbon dioxide in the blood during the panic attack.

Notes: The question was general, requiring general research-based knowledge on the process of using paper bags for panic attacks. As the keywords were essentially covered, note that this answer does not have 8-10 sentences, but further supporting information or even a personal anecdote can be added.

The following activity will help you put your attained knowledge to practice. Please write an optimized answer to the following community question, in light of the provided keywords. In addition, you are required to reply to at least one other student’s answer by identifying at least 3 strengths (things done correctly as per discussed guidelines) as well as at least 1 tip for improving the answer.

Note: You are welcome to click the question link and submit your written answer for community publication once done as this is an existing question!

Please do not forget to personally save your activity answers as well as your reply to another user’s answer (recommended on Google Doc or other means) as you will be asked to share this for your Weekly Progress Report.

Question: What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

Provided Keywords: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Bonus: Want to put your knowledge to test? Consider joining the Question and Answer (Q&A) Approval Team here and earn cheers for helping approve community answer submissions. You will be using the above knowledge as well as reminders on what makes a good answer. For more information, click here

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

CocoaCassie January 23rd

@QuietLotus

Very good suggestions especially taking a social media break. The idea of changing negative self-talk is very positive and I feel that your response would help someone in that situation. Thirdly I liked the layout and the paragraphing, it made the response clearer. A tip - perhaps give some resources  or your link?

UndertaleSansRULES February 22nd, 2021

I have a quick question:

Could someone help me change my username? I feel the c r i n g e

lyricalAngel70 February 23rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Provided Keywords: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Parents play a vital role in developing children & their thought process. Their presence is important in our lives since childhood because their teachings, values & principles that they instill in us help with choosing the right partner & building up our self-esteem. There are instances when people make us feel that we are not good enough for them either by appreciating random girls/guys more on social media or by comparing us with them which leads to damaged self-worth as a result we tend to think we are worthless. Such thinking patterns build as a result of low self-esteem. The good news is that we can break the chain of faulty thoughts in the best way with the help of 3 easy steps. The first step would be to identify all the negative thinking. Secondly, replacing them with positive ones such as from "I am worthless & not good enough for them" to "I am the best one can have, I am enough for myself & others". Lastly, by practicing positive affirmation frequently. According to researchers, Human beings including children have a tendency to focus more on negative aspects of life than the positive ones. Therefore, practicing positive thinking is a crucial part of therapy against the vicious cycle of faulty thinking patterns. Practicing self-love, spending quality time with family members is equally important. If our significant other is full of criticism, we must move ahead & find a better person who would accept us the way we are. I strongly believe that good time & good luck accompany those who know when to leave a relationship when nothing seems to work out. When we are with someone who constantly criticizes us, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk becomes our lifestyle which is the real reason behind further lowering our self-esteem. Our whole life can be changed if we are compassionate towards ourselves & decide to move away from toxic people. Everyone loves to be around an amazing person with self-confidence which comes naturally to those who are unapologetically, authentically themselves. Hence, we must be comfortable being ourselves instead of being someone else. In order to have a healthy relationship, we must be patient as they say great things take time. At the end of the day, One must not forget that the feeling of not being good enough comes from within so we alone can change it & nobody else can do that for us.

shoag February 24th, 2021

Hi, @lyricalAngel70 !

I just want to start of by saying I really love the wording of your response; you've used most of the key words, and gave some really great advice, while managing to link it all together. However, I feel like you could make this response more sincere or relatable by adding a short anecdote to make the person asking feel like they're being understood. Again, I think it's a really lovely response and, to be honest, I would love to hear it if i were asking the question.

lyricalAngel70 February 25th, 2021

@shoag

Thank you so much for those encouraging words. I will keep your suggestion in mind next time I write a response. Thanks a lot for taking out time to read my response. Have a great year ahead. ❤

shoag February 24th, 2021

Question:

What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

Provided Keywords:

parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Response:

More often than not, the real reason for feeling that you are not good enough for someone all goes back to you, and how you feel about yourself; low self-esteem can really affect how insecure you feel about being good enough for others around you. Your inner critic will always cause your mind to spiral and result in negative self-talk, self-doubt and can take a toll on your self-confidence.

Sometimes taking a break can be the best way to find yourself again, whether it be from social media, or just from other human beings. The good news is that you have many ways you can do this while having a good time. Your comfort may lie in reaching out for professional help, by going to therapy, or just talking to your close ones, like your family members, parents, or a partner. It all comes back to you, and what you feel is the right thing to do.

Taking a first step to reach a point where you can learn how to love yourself and embrace your self-love can help you find your voice and making sure that you feel good enough for yourself first.

As a child, I was taught to love and accept others around me, but I failed to do the same for myself, and I felt like all the other children deserved more than I did, at one point I even felt like I would spend my whole life alone because I wasn’t good enough. As I started to grow older, I realised that my mental well-being was now at stake, and I thankfully reached out to an amazing person that gave me a great piece of advice: “Great things take time, and self-love is one of things.” This information has stuck with me since then. So, it might not be an overnight thing, but the time I spent finding my self-worth tops all the time I’ve wasted on my insecurities.

Sometimes, however, you aren’t the problem, and your best solution may be finding a better person to spend your time with.

At the end of the day, a healthy relationship consists of communication, and finding your voice is vital to be able to clearly communicate your feelings with someone. Good luck!

RationalMe7 February 27th, 2021

@shoag

Hi @AnisiaCocanTherapist .

Your answer is superb.

1 It has a professional tone

2 Concise and exact

3 Your answer structure is nice

Improvement suggested:

This is just my opinion - I would like some more elaboration.

Thanks !

Sorry for the wrong tagging.

RationalMe7 July 12th, 2021

@shoag

(re-posting)

Hi @shoag

Your answer is superb.

1 It has a professional tone

2 Concise and exact

3 Your answer structure is nice

Improvement suggested:

This is just my opinion - I would like some more elaboration.

Thanks!

SoftForestHSP77 January 24th, 2022

@shoag

I liked that you properly used all the key words.

You kept your tone very professional.

I liked that you added a personal antidote.

I’d only suggest that as a writer I’d be careful with the word usage. At times using the word always can come off harshly.

AnisiaCocanMA February 25th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Answer : In my opinion the first step to answer this question is to understand us, as human beings. All of us are different and amazing in our own ways.

Firstly in life we set our values regarding our parents life expectations and limitations, afterwards we look around and try to find the best way to fit in the society we live in - here is an important aspect we tend to forget - every culture is different and the right thing on a continent might not be the best option on another. We are our own inner critic based on imposed values by the cultural background where we lived in as children.

Lately in life we chose our own way, how we perceive to be optimal for our desires and possibilities. We chose how we act with family members, we face self-doubt but also self-confidence , we strive for great things and we start to build our own set of values.

After this beautiful journey from childhood to adulthood we develop self worth based on our past memories, actions, environment , perceptions, etc. At this point you know your worth and what suits you or not. Self esteem is developed by acknowledging what thing you did make you happy , what important lessons you learned, what you can accept or not.

At the end of the day any misunderstanding you have with someone the best tool we have is communication. Openly, sincerely and without blaming anybody talk your fears and emotions and great answers might come to light!

Hi @AnisiaCocanTherapist .

Your answer is great.

1 It's professional

2 It's to the point & used less jargon

3 Sections are well connected

Improvement suggested:

This is just my opinion - you could have used more keywords. I understand it's hard.

AnisiaCocanMA March 1st, 2021

@alphav7

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestion ! 🤗

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Here's my humbe attempt. Please feel free to share feedback and help me grow & write better content.

Proposed Answer:

Self-doubt or loss of self-confidence is faced by many people. A lot of people go through this for their whole life without finding a solution. The first step is to realise that you are not alone. Your feeling of low self-worth is the real reason behind it. This is shaped by many factors. Some of them are, your relationship with other human beings - in real life or on social media and your status in the community. If you feel that you don’t matter in the larger scheme of things, you may begin to indulge in negative self-talk. This is where hope is important. It makes you feel valuable.

The best way to realise your real self-worth is by understanding that you are not what others’ opinions are. But, it’s hard when it comes to being with someone whom you feel does not value you. Sometimes, communication can help you clear a lot of things. We arrive at wrong conclusions when we have incomplete information. That’s where it helps.

When you lack a healthy relationship with your children, parents, partner or other family members, you may face the same issues. This is also due to the lack of communication.

If the external factors are absent, you may be troubled by your inner-critic’s loud voice. The good news is that you also can overcome such thoughts. It may take time to convince yourself that you’re a better person than you think. But, it’s possible. You can help yourself through self-love. Make it a habit. This can be done by having a good time, treating yourself well etc.

If things are really bad, the right thing would be to consider seeking professional help like therapy or counselling. You can also take a break from such people or circumstances till you heal.

At the end of the day, remember that you have a chance to improve and become a better person. You can

do a lot of great things with this mindset. Your journey to become an amazing person begins from your mind. I hope this answer helped you. Good luck in that journey!

wagwanianPA May 3rd, 2021

@alphav7

1. Grammaticity was preserved more or less throughout the entire piece.
2. Good attempt at trying to analyse the roots and motivations behind certain feelings and trying to correct sorts of negative mindsets.
3. Some effort at giving tips was shown through recommending therapy, counselling, and self-love.

Should try and empathise with the questioner more.

cuteeeezombieeee July 11th, 2021

@alphav7
Hey Alpha! As you know, I'm supposed to write out three strengths and one weakness in your answer!
First off, kudos on writing such a detailed answer.
Three strengths:
1. You have used a lot of keywords which is fantastic as it adds quality to your response.
2. You have explained the issues behind certain feelings and this helps the reader feel validated.
3: You have offered some tips which the reader could apply.

One weakness:
1. I believe you should have detailed out the tips a bit more as they appear vague in my opinion.

heartSierra

mvpeng March 7th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

It can be really tough to feel like you are not good enough for someone. This can come from many different sources including self-doubt and negative self-talk. Sometimes we are our own biggest inner critic, but we can gain greater self-confidence if we can improve our inner voice and practice self-love instead. Improving your communication with others including your parents, your partner, your children, or other family members can also help with these feelings. If you are open with the people around you, they can help you with your self-esteem and help shush that negative inner voice. It also can be helpful to avoid social media if you are struggling with these feelings, as these platforms can increase feelings of low self-worth. At the end of the day though, the best way to deal with these feelings is to take care of and be kind to yourself.

FrenchToast March 7th, 2021

@mvpeng Thanks for sharing! I like the part about where we are our biggest inner critics and we can get the self-love and self-confidence by working on it and channeling our inner voice to become better.

mvpeng March 7th, 2021

Thanks for the feedback!

blindHeart12 May 27th, 2021

@mvpeng

That really good answer. I love the way you frame sentences that it included maximium keywords and also answer the question well including varities of suggestions what to do and what could be reason.

I am not right person to find an area of improvement as myself learning it. But as part of activity i am giving a try, you can could include few facts, or quote or more empathetic word.

giggleBubbles6722 June 7th, 2021

@mvpeng

Greetings

Good overall response. I see there are a few keywords present which is good. You empathised and gave advice and substitutions to certain negative behaviour, very well written. I'm sure whoever is struggling with this will feel heard and will be able to use the practical advice given. Well done.

Happy900 June 13th, 2021

@mvpeng You did a great job answering the question.
I felt you answered it to the best of your ability.
Great Job.

Iamanotheru July 25th, 2021

@mvpeng

I loved your response!

FrenchToast March 7th, 2021

Answer: Feeling like you are not good enough for someone is a terrible feeling to have but there are always ways to help your self-esteem and self-confidence and get out of feeling that way. The first step is to always remind yourself of your value and how much that matters the most at the end of the day. You stop the feeling of unworthiness by first feeling good about yourself. Taking micro-steps towards building self-confidence takes time but greater things will come. Second, knowing that this can often come from a deep-rooted feeling which now you should work towards addressing. Perhaps, talking to your loved ones, family, friends or anything - will help you direct your thoughts towards affirming that you, indeed, are very good enough.

Creamyyy June 5th, 2021

@anotherfrenchtoastclub

Strengths: 1. Good use of keywords 2. Word count is as per requirement 3. Had a tone of caring and motivation, making a connection with the feelings of the person.
Tip: You could give some more examples of the micro steps that the person may use to feel good about themselves.

Overall, I enjoyed the answer. Great work.

KristinHelps March 8th, 2021

Reply: Today's society has created a major impact on the world as we see it. Adults, teenagers, children, no matter the age, has been influenced and guided by the community. Self-doubt, self-blame, self-concious, insecurities all manifest the negativity we discern of not being good enough for someone. Simply a social media post seen while scrolling on your home feed can lead to overthinking of your self-esteem.

Often, we can sense the "competetition" of one against the world. Sometimes someone can spend their whole life trying to be a better person, doing the right thing, building self-confidence, but sadly, one inner-critic can crumble their postitive journey. While we are all human beings in need of self-love, healthy relationships, communication, at the end of the day, you are the person to build the positivity inside of you.

If therapy or family members can provide healthy insights in your life, it is a wonderful step towards a beneficial voice to listen to. You are enough in this world and you can only better yourself.

followup March 20th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

What to do when you feel you are not good enough for anyone?

When you feel like you are not good enough for someone, first step would be to reflect on the real reason you might be feeling this way. Do you think that it is as a result of having low self-esteem or have you lost your self-confidence?

As human beings we all go through periods of self-doubt. Our inner critic at times becomes our enemies. It is often difficult to quiet the negative self-talk. This would especially be a good time to talk to someone.

Therapy is often a good space to voice your concerns and receive healthy feedback. Self-love is important in a relationship. It will be worth it to love your self and rediscover that amazing person that you are!

optimisticDay8079 March 22nd, 2021

The best thing to do is step back and try to understand why you feel like you’re not good enough. Most of the time it’s our brain tricking us into thinking we’re not enough. It’s hard to have self-confidence, self-love and be able to say we’re amazing people. But taking the first step to achieving confidence is the most important step! At the end of the day, only you can be enough for yourself and only you can love yourself to the fullest

ItssssMJ March 23rd, 2021

@optimisticDay8079

The empowerment is amazing. Your answer is very insightful in how to feel better about yourself. I like that you acknowledge how our brains trick us. One tip I have is to make sure that you adress both highs and lows about the topic, and how to handle both <3

Chocolate0 August 1st

@optimisticDay8079

I liked your answer. You were sympathetic and used simple, professional language. You also offered many ways to help. But next time, avoid giving advice directly.

Chocolate0 August 2nd

@Chocolate0

@walkalot

Activity 1 part 2

ItssssMJ March 23rd, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Many things can cause us to feel like we are not good enough for another person. Self-esteem, social media, self-worth, self-doubt, negative self-talk, our inner critic, and other human beings can all influence this. Maybe you feel this way around a certain family member, a parent, a partner, children, friends, or any other person in your life. It's important to know your own worth, but I promise you that it's a high one. The good news is that there are many ways to overcome this feeling, lots of great things to do. Personally, I think the best way is to practice self-love, cultivate and maintain healthy relationships, grow your self-confidence, and remember you are an amazing person. One of the first steps towards those actions is remembering that that little voice that says you are not good enough, or that you need to be a better person, or even sometimes that there's no real reason to anything or your whole life, it's wrong. That voice is wrong. Some people may need therapy for this, it can provide more information, and more open communication, though that is up to what you feel is the right thing for you to do. At the end of the day, know that you are not alone in this, many people, including myself, have struggled with this same thing. It's ok not to be ok sometimes, we cannot expect life will always be a good time, but you have people willing, ready, and wanting to help and support you. I wish you all good luck and feel free to message me whenever to talk. You're all amazing *offers hugs if wanted* <3

Clarisse29 March 24th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Feeling not good enough for someone is an absolutely normal and common thing. As human beings, one of our primary psychological needs is the need for a healthy amount of self-esteem to be fully functional and self-actualized about our potentials.

Almost all people spend their whole life in an environment that conditions them to base their self-worth on others’ opinion of them, to do the right thing to gain the approval of people like their parents, family members, and partner.

However, what is learned can be unlearned through altered behavioral practices and the best way to do so is to get the required help via therapy and other means which assist us in reducing our self-doubt. They help us in dealing with the real reason for our low self-esteem, that is, our inner critic, that prods at us whenever we are about to do something or are done doing it, and negative self-talk, which only adds to the feelings of worthlessness.

In this age of social media and information, the content we expose ourselves to matters profoundly as well. Consuming good news and positive information exponentially helps us in elevating our moods, self-confidence, and optimism.

At the end of the day, we must remember that self-confidence resides where self-love does and the first step to loving ourselves is consciously acknowledging our current state and making the active choice to improve it. Through proper communication of our needs and listening to others, there is no doubt that we will come off as an amazing person to our peers. We progress on our way to be a better person by being disciplined yet gentle toward ourselves, establishing healthy relationships with others, and setting proper boundaries.

IceCream4IceCream April 7th, 2021

@Clarisse29

Great use of key words. I can see that you used many of them! Your answer was very comprehensive: I counted 283 words 😮 Overall, it sounded very professional. I liked that you broke it up into paragraphs as this made it easier to read.

Maybe it would be good to make your recommendation for seeking therapy seem less direct/less like advice?

GoldenRuleJG March 24th, 2021

Question: What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone ?

As human beings we can at times lack self-esteem, self-worth and self-love. Our first step would be to explore the real reasons behind our self-doubt - this can concern how healthy our relationships are with our parents, children, partner and even how social media shapes our self-image. Such factors can determine why we feel we are not destined or not destined for great things. However at the end of the day there are people out there that see you for the amazing person that you are - so let go of your inner critic and self-doubt .
The best way to question your self-doubt and have a good time is to allow yourself to develop self-confidence in what you believe in . You may find a self-help group or self-help exercises to help you develop this confidence or even a therapist with expertise in emotion focused therapy.
Journey of being content with yourself will come with voicing your own struggles and thinking if I have compassion for others why not myself ? 🙏💙

IceCream4IceCream April 7th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

As human beings, it is natural to struggle with self-doubt and negative self-talk. When we feel that we are not good enough for others, it is often the voice of our own inner critic that is actually making us question our self-worth and which is undermining our self-confidence. By comparing ourselves with others—which we often do through communication and the exchange of information on social media—these hurtful internal voices can become louder and more frequent, reducing our self-esteem in the process. The good news is that at the end of the day, no matter what anyone tells you, you’re an amazing person who deserves nothing but self-love and compassion. The first step is to recognise that there are real reasons for your existence on this planet: you are worthy in the fact that you are here. You can be the better person who does the right things. You can be the person who is already inside of you and has been their your whole life even if you haven’t noticed them right in front of your eyes. One of the best ways to develop a healthy relationship with yourself might include going to therapy. In good time, it might help you to see the the great things you are capable of doing. If you have close relationships with your parents, children, family members or any other loved ones like your partner; they’ll remind you that you are enough when you are uncertain about this. Good luck on your journey friend! Be kind to yourself. I believe in you. Just take it one day at time.

Happy900 July 4th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 Nice job.
Very Professional.
You are very talented.
I mean that.
You are gifted as well.
I felt, emotion, compassion, and empthy.
I really enjoyed reading this.
Keep up the good work, in the Content Development and Marketing course.
Cannot wait to see, what other things you do to help others here at 7cups, after you graduate the course.

IceCream4IceCream July 4th, 2021

You are always too kind 🧡🧡 thank you so much

YourFriend1403 April 15th, 2021

If you feel like you’re not good enough for someone, you’re not alone. As human beings, it’s natural to have feelings of self-doubt or engage in negative self-talk. The real reason for this is the inner critic in us, a voice that serves to protect us from shame or embarrassment (to do the “right” thing) or to help us identify areas of improvement and become better in some regard. A healthy dose of self-criticism is necessary, but when your inner critic goes overboard, it can really lower your self-esteem and cause an unhealthy relationship with your parents, children, or partner. The good news is that there are ways you can overcome this feeling of low self-worth and grow your self-confidence.

The first step is to realize that you are enough. You are deserving of love and respect. You are defined by your actions, not by how much others value you.

The next step is to maintain honest communication with the person you feel you are not good enough for. It can be difficult to be completely honest about your feelings, but communicating this feeling to someone you trust can give them the opportunity to help you work this out together. You can try explaining to them why you feel like you aren’t good enough for them, but if you can’t pinpoint why, it’s ok to tell them so. Even if you genuinely don’t know why you’re feeling this way, what you’re feeling is completely valid.

Sometimes, the language that another person uses to convey where you can improve on can lower your self-esteem. If someone tells you how terrible you are at something, you can ask yourself, does it help you? Does it motivate you to change your ways or strive to become better at something? Or does it make you feel like you are not good enough for them or will never be able to meet their expectations? If it’s the latter, can you think of some ways that might make you feel differently about their remarks? (e.g. if they change wording, acknowledge things you did well as well, etc.). Communicating this to the person can set you up for success in resolving low self-esteem and helping you maintain a stronger relationship.

If this feeling persists, you can also consider going to therapy. Licensed therapists are great supporters and sources of information. They can help you identify the root causes of feeling inadequate and guide you in developing better cognitive and emotional skills to build your self-confidence.

At the end of the day, self-love, being gentle and compassionate to yourself, will help you overcome feelings of inadequacy. The journey to learning to love yourself will be a difficult one. There may be relapses along the way, but as long as you want it and actively try to build self-confidence, you will eventually realize that you truly are an amazing person. Know that you are not alone. Good luck.

BeamsOfHope00 April 19th, 2021

@YourFriend1403

This is a great answer! You use a lot of keywords and they were nicely spaced. I loved how you mentioned talking about your feeling to the person, and added that the person you don't feel good enough for could say something unproductive that would make you think that in the first place. The only thing I might change is how long it is. I'm a slow reader so it took me awhile to read, but other than that I think it's amazing and if I ever need help with not feeling good enough I would definitely read this again!