Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cast your vote ! Saving messages in chats & rooms!

Laura December 12th, 2017

Hello Community,

I am here to ask for your feedback on an important topic: messages saved in every 1-1 chat. Many of you have long asked for more saved messages in your conversations and up till now, we have saved only the previous 10 messages in every conversation. This was for anonymity and storage reasons.

However, we are moving over to a new tool that will allow us to store and retrieve messages much more efficiently. As it can be frustrating to lose messages, this tool will allow us to do that. Hooray! Instead of saving messages by count, we will be able to save them by time.

Note: You would still be able to clear the chat log at any time.

This would also allow us the ability to increase the amount of time group support messages are saved.

So here is what we need to know from you! How long would you like to see your messages in a chat or group support to save for before they are automatically deleted?

Please vote on this idea here!

PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTE BY MONDAY, DECEMBER 18th

December 13th, 2017

@Laura @kate it'd be nice if we were given the option of how many messages were saved. That way, if people want less they can have less, if they want more, they can have more. Privacy and context issues both solved, and neither being compromised for the other. Personally, I'd err on the side of privacy.

cantthinkofausername1 December 14th, 2017

@Laura

i like the idea of keeping all 1-1 conversations. Maybe keeping the last 10 visible and the rest in an archive folder would be interesting.

Kate December 12th, 2017

We're really interested in what you all think about this idea. VOTE please and thank you!!!

8756tyfgvki December 13th, 2017

@Kate @Laura

[Inappropriate comment removed by AffyAvo] frown Laura , i told you not to do this, its concern of privacy of members and in PMs it can be accepted but in groups its going to be dangerous. I have always told you to take my permission before making such changes, but you dont have to listen to elders.

EvelyneRose December 13th, 2017

@8756tyfgvki

I don't think we need to hate on the admins in order to give feedback. In any case, they are hearing out potential concerns and getting community feedback before moving foward. This is a good thing!

DespiteItAll December 13th, 2017

@8756tyfgvki

That's the whole purpose of us voting. No one person makes any decision that's related to content and features. Everyone is free to share their opinion, but we aren't going to prioritize what one person wants. The site needs to be useful for everyone, not just one person. We should appreciate the hard work people put into making sure it exists and helps as much as it can for the general user population.

EarEar December 18th, 2017

@8756tyfgvki - Group work is just as important as 121 and its important to be able to look back over messages, in case you deal with the same client more than once over a period of time, this time period is open to interpretation as you may have the same client for a long time. In which case, the messages could be very important if the client revisits something that you later forget. The messages will refresh you on what is going on for the client. Going back to the group work, it is necessary to keep the messages because you're not just talking to 1 client but multiples and I know I've got a good head for conversations held with clients but not even I'm that good to be able to remember multiple clients conversations in a group setting.

rebel11 December 13th, 2017

@reservedPal4337

Because you have to be 'set up' by another member / listener to get banned on 7 Cups.

All very, very unfair, it sets a 'precedent', anything goes on 7 Cups.

BugInARug December 12th, 2017

I'm filling out the form now, but ATLs are missing. I'll put myself down as an Adult Listener, though!

I've voted and my reasonings behind the time-frames specified (I love the idea of time-based as opposed to counts) have taken into account server storage as well as a good balance between confidentiality/anonymity and chat history for 1-on-1s/modding purposes and such for group rooms.

Liking the idea though, definitely!

EvelyneRose December 13th, 2017

@BugInARug

true! I could only pick one or the other.

AffyAvo December 13th, 2017

@BugInARug You're an adult, being an ATL doesn't make you a non-adult wink

DespiteItAll December 15th, 2017

@AffyAvo

Ahem, it makes you a teen that is legally an adult but internally still a teen wink (I kid, I kid)

EarEar December 18th, 2017

@DespiteItAll - that would depend on whether or not you consider a teen to be a young adult.

EscapedTheMundane December 12th, 2017

I think it should save the last 30 messages so its not as hard on storage but still gives us a lot more. :)

ChangeofPerspective December 12th, 2017

@Laura

As a newer listener trying to remember details about chats with members, so that I can follow up easily, this will be very helpful!

Thanks, Rach

AffyAvo December 12th, 2017

Is there a need to have 1-1 chat messages deleted? I find currently the system doesn't save them after a while, they disappear and it's not possible to get the last 10 back. I have had old listeners recontact me and I am often at a loss about the context - I think in reverse this would be even more difficult.

I do feel like 10 messages is too little. I would like that increased, and stored indefinitely, not disappearing as they currently do. I do have the capability to delete if I choose to, so I don't think privacy is a big concern for deleting them.

As for group chats, I see less of a need to save them. What I would rather see is the ability to go back further when first entering, this would allow those joining to get a better idea of the current conversation and would also help with moderation purposes. 3 hours should be sufficient for the purpose of grabbing transcripts for meeting.

Liz1000 December 12th, 2017

@AffyAvo hm, that's odd, I've never had the problem where the last 10 disappear after a while to. Sometimes I contact listeners who I haven't spoken to in a year or more, and the messages are still there

@Liz1000 In my chats that show up still on the 1-1s (there are more listed on My Progress) of the old ones, I would say it's about 10% of them. In the list with everyone where the very last message shows, instead of words there's just a dash. These are listeners who still have accessible profiles.

If a listener is no longer active, I can't bring up any of those conversations.

Liz1000 December 12th, 2017

@AffyAvo hm very strange. I suppose it's possible for 10% to have deleted the chat history but that sounds like an unusually high percentage

@Liz1000 It is old ones. More recent ones are not included in that rough estimate.

Roadie December 13th, 2017

I agree with everything @AffyAvo writes here. Group support chats, not much of an issue at all. 1-to-1s have always been an issue with long term members and listeners alike.

I've also had members message me asking if I remember them and it's hard when it could be 18 or 24 months prior. While I doubt your update in 1-to-1 chats will remedy that due to the time element, it will help for some members/listeners.

December 12th, 2017

I've just submitted the form!

I am personally against this for a few reasons :3

1) I believe that anonymity is very important, therefore I think saving only `10 is the best approach... Because, the conversations that happen between listener and member are usually quite personal, and I bet the member wouldn't want anyone else to see those messages. If someone did come to see those messages now, they'd see 10, which somewhat protects their personal conversation. which I am sure is what they'd want.

2) I get that this would help listeners track and keep info on their conversations to better support their member, but we do have the notes feature where they can jot down notes on their conversations to help better remember the member's situation etc.

I think this is more of a preference, so maybe it could be an option in the settings?

Rain45 December 12th, 2017

@Joe2017 I happen to agree on the privacy and confidentiality aspect particularly when it comes to our trauma members where confidentiality is such an important issue and storing of messages or conversations for long periods of time concerns me giving there are hacks and glitches occuring on this site and many others and I do not wish to see the members personal identities and experiences compromised. I think given the sensitivty and nature of some communities, this needs to be taken into consideration instead of rolling out a global thing with communities and its members and listeners having no opt out choice

@dancingRainbow45 But why take the choice away? Member can decide whether to delete the conversation or not.

@AffyAvo I think there should be a choice, not something that is made compulsory. My biggest concern is the storage of personally sensitve information of members which with site glitches and hacks could end up in anyones hands.

@dancingRainbow45 I'm assuming with any of the proposed changes, the deletion option is still available though? I would rather that stay a choice, without mandatory deletion of the entire conversation.

December 12th, 2017

@dancingRainbow45

Exactly. Though 7 cups is mostly secure, it still does have vulnerabilities, and I personally do not believe it is worth risking members anonymity for the sake of something that could be saved in a note on the listener's side. Yes, I get that notes aren't 100% safe, nothing is, but they're a lot safer than PMs, since only the listener can see them in the sense that they're tucked away, which leads me onto my next point;

No matter how safe a website is and how well it protects it's users data, someone may still view those messages in person, maybe the member left their 7 cups tab open, it's all there for X to read, whereas listeners notes aren't out in the open, they're tucked under a menu.

I really do think that many people would benefit from this, they would, for sure! but there are people who would like to only have x messages saved, so if this were to be added 7 cups should cater for them too with the option to save x messages.

@Joe2017 Actually you raise a very important concern, especially for those members who may still be in traumatic or abusive situations, and that is of someone on their end accessing the sites or details of their internet visits, and whilst its always good to educate people on the importance of keeping safe online, its also important to educate about how to erase internet visits, cookies, cache etc for those who are living in abusive situations such as domestic violence situations. Someone stumbling across a members conversation could lead to further trauma for that member

December 13th, 2017

@dancingRainbow45

You've summed it up perfectly. I wonder if there is actually anyone on 7 cups explaining and teaching people how to stay safe online? I know there is an SC (I think?) For online safety, but I'm not too sure if that is alive or not since I can't find it. If there is not, there certainly should be.

RumpleSteeleSkin December 13th, 2017

@Joe2017

Joe hi I really do like your thoughts on this. And not just singling out trauma members as we see alot in the rooms they share in detail. But as a whole on 7cups. We are losing out the annonymity part alot lately due to changes and such. We don't need a change really on this, however it just be nice when you talk to 1 persona once a week. But still the delete button is there as well as the note taking. Many listeners need to learn this and use what we got already. Please consider the privacy of many who come to this site and share so trustingly!

December 13th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Thank you, Rumple!! Now that you say it, we somewhat are losing anonymity, in sense of information that will be presented on our profiles... Last active, age group, gender and so on, I don't think they majorly impact anonymity, I'm actually super for that stuff, it improves our experience and lets you know one or two things about a listener/member without totally giving their name/exact age etc out, but there should be an option to choose whether you want your last active & gender displayed.

I feel the same way about this, it'll benefit many people, but there are those who would not like for that to be available, and if this is brought in as an update, the feature to disable it must be present from day1 of the update.

I'm more than happy to stick with using notes to keep on top of chats, and regardless I'll stick to that method.

In essence, all of these things should be toggleable

@Joe2017

Thanks Joe- I also know for many around 7sips change is also scary. I know for me it is-and I freak. But I also am learning to trust the ones in the back ground thinking of these changes, but also for a better reason. Just on this one Id like for them to think a bit longer on saving messages for a period of time. And we really dont need the room chats saved as who doesn't screen shot lol. But I too will have faith in the upcoming changes we see 7cups havesmiley

We are growing, people are volunteering more, many are coming and seeking support....so 7cups too has to upgradesmiley

December 13th, 2017

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Change can be super scary, I get worried too sometimes. If anything, this is one of the more worrying things I've seen in terms of updates, recently. I am super glad it has been put down to a vote so that everyone can share their opinion on it, it's the fairest way to do it for sure :3

7 cups is growing super well which is great!!

@Joe2017

It really is ok to worry on this as well as on some other changes here. As this is a safe place for hundreds of people-even a big ol elephant at times. But I was just told today to trust. To trust the people who are in charge to make good decisions. Be open minded and try new things that I never done before. Come a bit out of my comfort zone. All these things are really helping me to relax a bit and also really hear what the admins are sharing and their vision. I hope this to helps you and others.heart

@Joe2017 Also yes we do have the note section where we can keep notes for ourselves on our chats with members and this is something I have used over my time at cups so do not see why others could not use this also

dawnA December 13th, 2017

@dancingRainbow45 I am also concerned that the only thing that has changed seems to be the ability of 7 Cups to store information, which now seems possible due to server power or whatever.......the initial confidentiality policy is surely still valid, or never was? Ability for enhanced storage should not alter a principle, unless the principle was created to accomodate storage issues.........rather than member/listener issues? My thoughts only, obviously.

bunnypants December 13th, 2017

@Joe2017 ferst off *tags again, harder dis time* P:'

seconds yah idk member setting would get too confusing to listeners.

idk why we can't just build out a proper notes feature :\

protects the anonymity of the member from both sides p. lots.

this is the first time i've ever wondered whose idea this actually is.

this shouldn't be up for vote.

it's far too complicated a subject and convenience will win. :\

December 13th, 2017

@bunnypants

Good gosh you're so out tagging me T_T I am coming for you!!!

I guess that is a good point, having one conversation show 100 messages and the other showing 10 can get confusing, not knowing which option your new chat has chosen. I think that it ill end up being one or the other, not having the option to toggle it, which I think sucks :(

The notes feature could be so so useful if there were to it, I'd love to see it get an update tbh

CaringBrit December 12th, 2017

Voted love the idea

vivelespatates December 12th, 2017

@Laura there is something wrong with your form. I select "No, i vote that we stick with the current system of 10 messages saved & automatically deleted" but It still NEEDED me to select VERY LONG periods from 1 to 6 month and nothing under 1 month. I DON'T want all my messages being saved for 1 month or over.