Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. ÃÂ

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here ÃÂ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

May 18th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708 Being considerate to others is such a valuable asset to one's personality(:

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing. We happen to have some similarities. That's awesome! :)

FeatherIce25 April 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

Being fexible and open minded, being on time can be challenging for me. I overcome it by forming schedules.

I am open minded, curious, creative and orignal. I find these qualities quite useful and redeemable.

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I love being creative and orignal, it allows me to approch to a problem or a situation with a new perspective and come up with solutions which may be unconventional but efficient.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

These strengths can also help me on both 7 cups and in my career as they allow me to bring new ideas to the table and be flexible and open minded.

May 18th, 2021

@FeatherIce25 Being open-minded to new ideas and perspectives allows us to keep spirited(:

greatfulSmiles6152 June 15th, 2021

@FeatherIce25 I think being creative and open-minded is awesome! Those two traits go hand in hand with each other as you'll be able to construct a lot of ideas while also being easily adaptable! Best wishes for your journey on 7 Cups and in your career :)

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@FeatherIce25

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing. I think there are sooo many ways how being creative can help you as a leader. I always enjoy meeting people that are creative.

Enbyowl April 26th, 2021

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 95)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. (Your percentile: 93)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You probably enjoy spending quiet time alone. (Your percentile: 1)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You find it easy to express irritation with others. (Your percentile: 29)
Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things.

I do not think that I have necessarily learned anything new, but have confirmed my previous ideas of my own personality and strengths and weaknesses as a person. I was not much surprised on my high score on the Neuroticism trait, because I know anxiety and worry play a dominant part in my life. I was a bit shocked by how my Openness score was so high because I usually tend to stray away from exploring the world around me, preferring to stay in my own bubble.

I think my top 3 strengths on this test lie in my openness, contentiousness and despite the neuroticism trait, one benefit that comes from the worry and anxiety is a sharp attention to detail and ensuring that the work that I put out is of the good quality.

In my personal life, the strengths that I identified on both tests enable me to be kind and caring to everyone that I meet even if it's hard to get mysef to talk to them. And seeking to bring out the good in them while also pushing them to be the best version of themselves that I think they can be.

On 7 Cups, these strengths allow me to put out the best work that I can, and be focused on improving the site and community through my efforts. With regards to working with others as a leader, I think my strengths allow me to see the best in others and work to bring that out, while also making sure to help them improve in areas where they may struggle. As well, in my future career, I think the similar theme of high quality work and effort can be repeated, as well as a focus on making a difference through my work.

lueurspace May 12th, 2021

@positiveTurtles

Hey there, it's good to know that it has helped confirm some previous ideas of your personality, that's great! I score very high in Neuroticism as well, so I can understand being a bit more susceptible than usual to feelings of anxiety or worry. I believe openness can also mean that you are smart and creative. Being high in openness does not mean we are characterized as exploratory or visionary, but it could mean that we have our moments of insight and realization. We may be interested in learning for our own sake and show interest in acquiring new skills. We are not overwhelmingly curious or strikingly interested in abstract thinking, philosophy, the meaning of things, etc. but can be fairly open to cultural events, however, for the same, we won't be "compelled" to do so. We will occasionally be open to trying to solve a complex problem or explore abstract ideas. These are the things that I've learned taking Jordan Peterson's Big 5 personality test so I thought it would be nice sharing with you! I hope it gives some sort of idea with being high in openness.

I am sure your strengths will help you tremendously on 7 Cups, and in your personal and professional life! You seem to be very thoughtful, considerate, and easy to get along with. Best wishes for the program! Red heart

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

Suryansh April 27th, 2021

The main things that I have learned are that I am not particularly social nor reserved. It changes when needed. Also, I am not particularly anxious though I remain calm sometimes and sometimes not at that level.

My Top 3 strengths are:
1. I am very well-organized, and can be relied upon.
2. I am good-natured, courteous, and supportive.
3. I am relatively open to new experiences.

Strengths that I have identified on both tests have helped me to know more about myself. This will definitely help me while interacting with others or when I am doing some work. They will help me to understand how well I can do and what my strength is in projects.

The strengths that I have identified on both the tests will definitely be helping me a lot in leadership roles on 7 Cups and in my career. They will help me while completing my tasks, responsibilities, and roles and get the desired result. They will help me to know which work suits me better and where I can be more interested.

Thank you!

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

@SuryanshSingh

Hey Suryansh! It's nice reading your answers. It sounds like you are pretty much an ambivert, much like myself! And remaining calm in stressful situations is a big positive. Your strengths are some I've been a witness to in our interactions! As an already established leader in the community, I believe your strengths have been a huge help for it! I am glad it has helped you know much more about yourself and interact with people in a much helpful manner. Being organized, supportive, good-natured, and open to new experiences are all great and they certainly will help you with 7 Cups leadership roles, personal and professional life! It was lovely reading your answers! Best wishes for the program Red heart

May 18th, 2021

@SuryanshSingh Certainly, it is valuable to know about our strengths.

unique73 June 23rd, 2021

@SuryanshSingh

Hello Suryansh, you seem like a great person! Being open minded, organized and supportive all are some really good strengths and glad it helps you become a better version of yourself! ❤

FawkesCare12 May 2nd, 2021

More than learning new stuff, it reiterated a couple of characteristics I felt I had and what others have told me I have. I was slightly surprised by the Neuroticism trait which gave a higher score than I expected. So that is something I want to work on so that it doesn’t play quite as much a dominant role.

Being open-minded, reliable and highly agreeable/ supportive.

In my personal life, they allow me to have much deeper and meaningful relationships with the people closest to me. I feel it also ensures that relations aren’t broken due to petty fights as the care or love generally triumphs any ill-natured thoughts.

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

The strengths identified allow me to better understand the people I’m listening to or working with. Being flexible and open also allows for a range of ideas to flow in from people thus enabling change.

unique73 June 23rd, 2021

Hello @FawkesCare12 , nice to meet you! I am glad to know the test helped you become more aware about yourself and you're working on becoming better version of yourself, Goodluck!

FawkesCare12 August 1st, 2021

@unique73 Thank you:)
All the very best for your journey as well. Hope you have a great day:)

IcicleSnown May 3rd, 2021

@GlenM

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I learned that the test is very accurate. In addition, I learned, as my results gave, that I’m “neither organized or disorganized”. I learned that I can be described as “[enjoying] having novel experiences”, and based on research, I believe that means that I enjoy having new experiences. I learned that I’m neither organized or disorganized personality wise, and that I am more disorganized than organized, which I do feel to be true. From putting links everywhere on my computer, to leaving things here and there. But for the side of being organized, I have a folder that I made and added to that is all fixed pretty for me.

What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

According to the test, my top 3 strengths are Open-Mindedness, Extraversion, and Agreeableness.

How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

Well it boosted my self-confidence, and good self confidence is necessary in life.

How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

They will all support me in my leadership role.

shallowWater7547 May 4th, 2021

1. I learned that i am an introvert and a very well organised person.

2. My top three strengths are: Open mindedness, conscientious and agreeableness.

3. I'm well organised and self disciplined which allows me to stay focused on my goals and to overcome life’s obstacles. creativity helps me to look at problems and situations from a fresh perspective.

4. Self discipline is an important quality of a good leader. It makes me well organised throughout my tasks. My creativity and openmindedness allows me to bring new ideas and strategies in the forums.

peacefulIris56 May 7th, 2021

@shallowWater7547

I'm glad to see that you have creativity and open-mindedness. I agree that those things really help with coming up with solutions.

shallowWater7547 May 7th, 2021

@peacefulIris56 Thanks for your lovely comments, dear. It's very nice to meet you.

You're welcome. It's nice to meet you too.

Banjothebudgie May 4th, 2021

@GlenM

I learned that I am a lot more introverted than I thought although still will defend my decisions.

My top 3 strengths are Open-Mindedness, Conscientiousness and Agreeableness.

My stengths can help me to understand myself better and allow me to connect better with others.

My strengths can help me understand and adapt what I am good at while improving the skills I am not as good at.

@Banjothebudgie

Those are wonderful strengths that you have. Those make you a very relatable person. I'm glad to see that you are able to look at your weaknesses and build from them. That helps you tremendously.

peacefulIris56 May 6th, 2021

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learned that I am a very relatable person.

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test? All scores were about the same. I say my top 3 strengths are my openness, self-discipline anf relatability.

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life? They can help me connect to and understand people better.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career? There are always people to connect to. These characteristics make it easier to connect to and work with people.

@peacefulIris56

Hello there, Iris! Your test result actually sounds awesome! Having someone relate to us is sometimes all one needs. Your strengths seem very interesting and I am sure they will indeed help with a leadership role in the community, in your professional and personal life as well! It was lovely reading your answers!

peacefulIris56 May 12th, 2021

@leurspace Thank you.

IcicleSnown May 8th, 2021

@GlenM

My top 3 strengths identified on the personality test: Tolerant, Reliable, Charismatic, and my top 3 strengths on the Big 5 test: Open-Mindedness, Extraversion, and Agreeableness, will support me in my leadership role, because such a role requires all these. And every single one of this will benefit me in being a good sport in the program.

DigitalKnight May 9th, 2021

@GlenM

I found out i can be quite reserved at times. I am a creative mind and always seek new ideas. i have a soft heart, I am prone to emotions.

Open-mindedness = i can be quite imaginative and find new ideas

Agreeableness = i tend to account for other's feelings. i can understand, care and support people

Extraversion = i am more of a lone wolf, i find comfort in working in my own space, where i can deploy my ideas without judgement of interference

I have realized i am more of a philosophical mind. i can imagine as far as i want without roadblocks. this has helped me figure out a good career path ahead.

One strength in particular that i think can help me alot, is my kind heart and non-judemental nature. i care for everyone, and i would love to see new listeners here on 7cups helping people, and meanwhile i would love to help them in every way i can

Thanks for the great test <3

@DigitalKnight
Hey Knight! You seem like a wonderful person and I'm glad you're here on 7 Cups to help others! ☺️

gentleLove04 May 10th, 2021

I am open to new things
open-mindedness, Conscientiousness, and Extraversion

They will let me understand others more and how I should/do act around others

They can help me understand others and to not judge other people.

Ethan May 11th, 2021

From taking The Big 5 test I learnt that I am a lot more extraverted than I thought. Whilst I knew I was an extraverted person, I thought I was as equally introverted. According to The Big 5 test, though, I am on the 79th percentile for Extraversion, meaning about 79 percent of people in the comparison sample are less extarverted than me.

I am well-organized, reliable and tend to consider the feelings of others.

On The Big 5 test I scored high for "extraversion", meaning I tend to be sociable, friednly and talkative. This can help me in my personal life as it means I am good at making connections with different people, further expanding my friendships.

One of the strengths identified with the MBTI test is that I have excellent people skills. I think this is vital to have as a leader on 7Cups as you are constantly interacting with other people. The Big 5 test highlighted that I am high-scorer for "conscientiousness", meaning I am well-organized and reliable. This is an important skill for leaders on 7Cups as you are working as part of a team to reach certain goals, and will have certain expectations of you in order to help the team reach that goal and so people are dependent on you.

I have taken the big 5 personality test a long while back as well. The results seem to be a bit different this time. I have scored very high on Openness which isn't surprising to me, I am open to new things that come my way and enjoy seeing things in a new way. I am surprised to see that for Conscientiousness, I am a bit on the lower side. I tend to be disorganized, undependable, and negligent. The test says I do things somewhat haphazardly. I will be honest, I don't really agree with it. I tend to be in the middle for Extraversion which is in alignment with me being an ambivert. I am high in Agreeableness meaning I am considerate about the feelings of others. For Neuroticism/Negative Feelings, I tend to get anxious and nervous easily which is very true. I have been ranked particularly very high in neuroticism in the past.

(i) I am open to new experiences

(ii) I am considerate about the feelings of others

(iii) I am comfortable being around people as I am social, I am also comfortable being alone at times which helps in striking a good balance

I can make conversation with just about anyone since I am social and open to hearing from anybody. I am enthusiastic and eager to form new connections, being fairly considerate about the feelings of others I come across - this makes me a person who can be good to be around. I am also curious about various things while not being judgemental at all which makes me a good person to get along and provides with insights that really come in handy.

On 7 Cups, it helps me in being able to communicate very nicely with both listeners and members. I am curious about the updates on the site so it helps me in being informed about various changes taking place on the site! I am open to new experiences with my roles and happy to expand and be of much better help to people.

In my career, it will help me to connect more with my peers and form great connections. It will help me better support the people I will listen to and help. I will be able to make strong associations with people who are already established in the field and be open to grow and learn from them.

LovetoGod May 12th, 2021

@lueurspace

It's amazing to see that you have awesome qualities of being a good leader. I love your personality. It's good to see you are open minded person and you can make conversations easily with people. As well as you seems helpful and kind too. Wishing you good luck for your leadership roles 😃

LovetoGod May 12th, 2021

@GlenM

1. I learned lots of things about me. And it really surprised me. Like, I know I am an introvert but in the results it shows me that I enjoy spending time alone rather than being in the group of lots of people. And I guess it's true. I am down to earth. I tend to think about others and to take care about their feelings. And yeh it's absolutely true that sometimes I am really nervous and anxious.

2. My strengths are-: kindness, helpful and self- disciplined

3. It will really help me a lot in my life. Like I can focus on the things which I need to improve. Moreover, I will try to think about my strengths and how to make the best use of it in any work. Whenever I will feel low or demotivate I will think about my strengths which can help to make me feel motivate that I have some strengths too and I can do it 😃

4. I guess it will help me in being more kind and helpful towards people. And I try to be more creative and imaginative. 😊

And these tests are really awesome to know about yourself moremore. Thanks❤

@LovetoGod I love that you will use your strengths to help you when you're feeling low or need motivation! 💜 I agree that these kinds of tests are great to delve deeper about ourselves as it can be eyeopening.

LovetoGod June 15th, 2021

@greatfulSmiles6152
Yeh. Wish you good luck with the program❤

May 12th, 2021

I didn’t really learn anything new about myself, as my results are what I expected...

• I prefer traditional and familiar experiences.

• I am neither organized or disorganized.

• I probably enjoy spending quiet time alone.

• I find it easy to criticize others.

• I tend to become anxious or nervous.

According to this test, my top 3 strengths are...

• I am critical. - This helps me see where things can be improved.

• I am neither organized or disorganized. - This helps me be flexible as I can work in a structured environment as well as free flow.

• I am an introvert. - This helps me do behind the scenes work well alone.

The strengths I’ve identified on both tests will help me in my personal life…

• I will be able to play to my strength when possible and make the most of situations I face.

• I will be more mindful of my strengths and try to use them to balance out my weaknesses and potentially develop new strengths.

• I will make an effort to try more new things when opportunities present itself despite being easily overwhelmed by new scenarios.

The strengths I’ve identified on both tests will help me in a leadership role on 7Cups and in my career…

• I am someone who would be better suited in helping out with improving new ideas others come up with.

• I am someone who needs a nudge to try new things and get out of my comfort zone.

• I prefer working alone on tasks which often mean behind the scenes work.

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@richuyulin

Hi! I'm also an introvert and I really like how you viewed it and applied that trait as a strength! A lot of people can sometimes forget being an introvert is very useful and helpful! :)

May 18th, 2021

I learned that I am a creative peson who is always on a look-out for effective ways to spread kindness and happiness.

i) I am open to new ideas, as long as the intention remains selfless.

ii) I look to be agreeable/cooperative, for the sake of bigger pursuit.

iii) I look to be conscientious about my planning and execution.

It'd help me carry a creative, organised and goal-oriented mind.

It'd help me to remain calm, motivated and focussed even when work load and expectations might increase.

unique73 June 23rd, 2021

@Fristo
Loved the insights you got from the test! Nice to meet you!❤

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

I learned that I have the personality type ISFJ-T, and I have the tendency to be more kind and generous to people than the average person would be. I also learned that I am more introverted (and enjoy spending time alone) but still like helping people and engaging with people. I also like traditional and familiar experiences rather than new ones, and I tend to be anxious, but excited and willing to learn new things.

I learned that I have excellent analytical abilities, receptive to change and new ideas, and engage with work and people with enthusiasm and generosity. I am also organized.

I use a planner to plan out my day and use to-do lists. This helps me get things done faster and more efficiently and calms down my anxiety because I am aware of what I need to accomplish that day. When I talk to others, I am kind and assume the best in everyone, which helps me make more friends.

On 7 Cups, since I am more patient and kind, I will spend more time with a member and help them make sure they are fully reflective on their situation and feel better. I am organized and on time and good with due dates so this program will be good (or even with a future career and school) in terms of due dates.