Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Fergie12299 February 5th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

Thats great that you would ask for feedback, really shows your learning from the course. Best of luck

goldenFriend9335 February 14th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

that is a great idea of how to deal

thisisirene April 4th, 2021

@goldenFriend9335 i agree!

generousBreeze169 February 20th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

I agree with the self care break, it is really important

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

Self-care breaks are really important :)

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper i appreciate this answer!

UnicornsCottonCandy April 7th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

It's a good point you have made. Feedback IS crucial for us to improve to become better leaders!

xinyii11 November 9th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper A self care break is super important! Proud of you for including that in your response XD

NoelleListens February 27th, 2022

@BellatheHappyHelper

Love the self care break!!!

IceCream4IceCream January 28th, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Thank you for considering my application. I am grateful for the opportunity to do so. How could I have improved on my application? I would like to apply again because I am passionate about this role and I'd like to see it through.

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? @jovialButterfly6752

- Talk to the leader to get feedback.
- Take a self-care break
- Get a mentor

- Don't take it personally
-Don't apply for every role available
-Don't be discouraged if you don't succeed at first. Try again.

@jovialButterfly6752

-Don't take the issue into the support rooms
-Don't feel obligated to stay in 7cups if your application is rejected - you might need a break.

@jovialButterfly6752

Great points that you made. Keep up the good work and im sure you will make it!

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

Well said!

sunlightspirit February 6th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Sounds solid and respectful

@jovialButterfly6752

that is a really great response!

@jovialButterfly6752

I really live how you put all the most important point there briefly

becca2002 February 3rd, 2021

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would thank the leader for considering my application. I would ask for feedback on why I didnt get the role, and what I needed to do or improve on to give me a better chance when I would next apply. I would point out that I am passionate about the role and will use any feedback to better myself for re-applying in the future.

@becca2002

Nice that you would take the time to ask for feedback im sure you will do great

@becca2002

Well put

@sunlightspirit right!

UnicornsCottonCandy April 7th, 2021

It's a good idea to highlight your passion and also ask for feedback. Great post.

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I did not get the role I would be disappointed of course but I would not let it get to me. I would ask the Leader why I did not get the role and ask for them for feedback on what I need to work on and if I could apply again in the future. It would be a learning curve but I know I would take any feedback onboard and come back stronger.

Cristen April 20th, 2021

@Fergie12299
Exactly! We can always come back stronger and better! laugh​​​​​​​

Always respond respectfully and be appreciative of any feedback they can offer and ask for any insight or guidance for reapplying.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 9th, 2021

@sunlightspirit

Staying respectful and accepting and improving upon the insights provided are such good ideas definitely. ❤

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?
I would probably be a little dissappointed, but I am aware that people don't always get what they want, and that is okay. I would probably take the time to reach out to my Peer Mentor for advice. I would also make sure to do my best at whatever role I recieve, ideally reaching out again for more training to receive a different role again. Sometimes the things we dont expect or want can be rewarding or beneficial in ways we arnt able to predict. Its about making the most out of everything.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would still take the time to thank the leader. Not only is it not their fault, but no matter the leadership role it is still very important to my personal development as a person, a listener and a leader. I might ask for direction in how to reapply or any suggestions they may have.

windSpirit March 4th, 2021

@warmLove3625 Keep going on! Very motivational and inspiring post!

@warmLove3625 good answer!

@Heather225

Personally, I would talk to my mentor, and maybe take a quick break. I would tell the leader: Thank you so much for considering me and taking the time to let me know. Im very interested in applying again, when am I allowed to do that and what should I do differently

considerateParadise6717 February 16th, 2021

@Heather225

If I didn't get the role, I would obviously be a bit dissapointed as I would have wanted the role otherwise I woudn't have applied however I will then respond putting that dissapointment into motivation to improve and then I can try to get the job again later. I would ask the leader how I can improve to get the role.

@considerateParadise6717

I agree with changing the disappointment into motivation!

@Heather225

I would be disappointed and shocked but I would ask the leader on how to improve my performance and be capable of getting it next time if I work hard on my weak points.

I would thank them so much for informing me and for the tips they provided me and maybe ask them if they could keep me updated on when the applications open next time

@generousBreeze169 I agree, being thankful and motivated to work is important, but I'd not forget to take care about myself. Glad to hear that disappointment would not overweight motivation in your case.

Jili February 28th, 2021

I would respond by working on areas that need improvement. I would thank them for taking the time to reach out.

@competentParadise6344 I am happy to see that better to be grateful and eager to work on than feeling rejected, disappointed and generally very sad.

marvelloustree1111 April 8th, 2021

@competentParadise6344

That's to the point of course

"Sorry to hear that I cannot get the role yet. Please, could you say how would I improve it, what is better to do? Thank you for any possible advices. I will take them into account."

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 9th, 2021

@windSpirit

I liked how you phrased your response for the leader. Looking for an opportunity to improve is always great ! ❤

Kieran000 March 8th, 2021

@Heather225

I would respond by being firstly disappointed and maybe upset depending on how much o wanted to get the role. Then I would ask for feedback and then thank them for that, so I can see what to improve on and what to do better on if I decide to reapply in the future.