Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

QuietMagic September 7th, 2020

@Petrichor2000 Aw, thank you! Returning your hugs. Slightly smiling

Petrichor2000 September 7th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I will be a little sad but that's okay probably I am not ready for it. I will thank the leader for informing me and ask them feedbacks about how to get better.

JaimieF September 8th, 2020

@Petrichor2000 You may not be ready for it. You may also just not be "needed" at that time! Sometimes, a role just doesn't need more workers. <3

Petrichor2000 September 9th, 2020

@JaimieF

Yup. It slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding

September 9th, 2020

@JaimieF

Thats a great point, certain roles have many people in the team already and that could be a reason why one does not get the role they applied for. I never thought of it that way.

blindHeart12 April 18th, 2021

@Petrichor2000

yes it natural reaction of feeling sad. You had good way to mange it well by thanking and asking more information.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 8th, 2020

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

🌸 I would thank the leader for reaching out and letting me know, I would ask for feedback and areas I could improve on, ask about when I could reapply again and things to keep in mind the next time I apply

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22 Woo! Asking for feedback is a great and brave move. :)

September 9th, 2020

@ahealingEndoftherainbow22

Asking for feedback would be nice way to improve upon and maybe to apply and gain the role later on

I would thank the person for taking the time to consider me for the role. I might also ask for advice on what I can do to better myself and maybe get the role in the future.

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Okay!

freshMint9376 September 13th, 2020

@JaimieF

Great response!

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

I agree!

September 9th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would be upset but i always think its for the greater good. Like i remember i wanted to be a peer support while doing my internship but somehow i never heard back after applying and I was sad when i saw other peers in the room.

But then I went to find other roles and those were as good as being a peer support. My aim is to help others so what title holds zero power over helping others. Roles or titles are just means to an end. Its the purpose that matters.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I am not sure, but i would definetly say that I applied and waited so very eagerly. Its unfortunate that i did not get it. Try and ask them what went wrong and whats the way forward.

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Magicallykermit58 Focusing on the greater good is amazing. What a healthy way to find the best role for you! Kudos!

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Heather225

I would approach it from a question standpoint, as in, where could I fit in better, or what can I improve on to do better in the future (if I want to reapply for the role)

Irena0225 September 10th, 2020

@CompassionateDreamer8522 Very true, good jobwink

BeautifulMasterpiece October 16th, 2020

@CompassionateDreamer8522

That's an intelligent way to do so, and I think you would receive the most beneficial result!

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

Exactly! I agree

Irena0225 September 10th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I find out, I will definitely feel pity, but not sad. Because that means someone else better than me will take over my desire role and that also means more experiences. However, let yourself stay in the failure will be so wrong, you gotta move on and you have to work hard for your desire role. We encounter failure every time and the one who stands up and tries again can achieve success.

I would respond politely to the leader who has informed me. And I would like to ask the leader where can I start to work in order to get the role later on.

freshMint9376 September 13th, 2020

@Irena0225

Thaat's exactly right! As long as we keep trying we can achieve success!

DayDreamWithYou September 20th, 2020

@Irena0225

Hi Irena! Thank you for sharing :) I really love your approach to the whole situation; the whole idea that we have to stand up aggain and try because there are always times we meet failure, and it is really inevitable. Moving on and keep working :D Asking the leader for feedback is also a supre great idea as well; it also shows our willingness to improve to the leader!

She13 December 16th, 2020

@Irena0225 - Inspiring and Motivating :)

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

I think that is a great perspective and the perfect way to respond

Zahraa000 February 21st, 2022

Great answer, well done🌹

crystalclearnow September 11th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would be disappointed and take some time out for self-care. I would appreciate their time and ask for them for a feedback.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

i would thank them for their time and would ask for a feedback and an update. I would consider this as a chance for me to grow and learn more.

hopedreamlove September 13th, 2020

@crystalclearnow

I agree, this is a great chance to grow and learn more. I also like how you might take time for self-care.

crystalclearnow September 17th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

Thank you. An opportunity to grow.

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@crystalclearnow

Self-care is definitely important when dealing with rejection. Good job!

crystalclearnow September 17th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

Yes, taking time out to reflect and care is important. It is also rejuvenating..

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 28th, 2020

@crystalclearnow

Great answer! Asking for feedback is brave :)

WelcomeToChat October 1st, 2020

@crystalclearnow

Good to recognize the disappointment, and take care of yourself !

amiablePeace77 October 3rd, 2020

@crystalclearnow

I like the part of "thanking them for their time", because we still need to see that they put a lot of work in it too by reviewing the applications.

Dinohorus November 14th, 2020

@crystalclearnow

I think it's really important and well considered that you included the importance of taking time for self care.

SweetDreamer69 April 17th, 2021

@crystalclearnow I love how you mentioned about self care. It's very important. Loved your positivity!

kindFish9215 October 7th, 2021

@crystalclearnow

This is a really good way to react when receiving feedback. I hope that eventually you do get the role you want. :)

LittleBirdie30 September 11th, 2020

@Heather225 If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you? If I was not given a role that I applied for, I would ask the leader who informed me on where I went wrong and what I can improve on. I would thank them for helping me and I would ask them when I can apply again because I can always try again and I might get it next time!

hopedreamlove September 13th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

I love your optimism towards the future and how you can always try again. Awesome response!

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

Great work! :)

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

amiablePeace77 October 3rd, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

Very positive attitude!