Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30 - great that you take it as a way to focus and improve!

FrenchToast November 13th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30 Yay, that's a great approach! Thanks for sharing ~

Beaconx September 13th, 2020

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would be disappointed and take some time out for self-care. I would appreciate their time and ask for them for a feedback.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would thank them for their time and would ask for a feedback and an update on the next possible opportunity. And I would consider this as a chance for me to grow and learn more.

hopedreamlove September 13th, 2020

@Beaconx

Great response! It is great to look at this as a chance to grow and learn more!

BookChunky September 18th, 2020

@Beaconx

I really like your response! Asking for feedback is very important.

DayDreamWithYou September 20th, 2020

@Beaconx

I agree that disappointment is a really common emotion to feel after not being able to get a role, and I love that you would take some time for self-care! Feedback and an update is also a super great idea for us to learn more and grow :)

SofiaT2000 October 31st, 2020

@Beaconx Self-care is really important and we shouldn't hesitate to take a break if needed! Keep your hopes up though, I'm sure you will do great!

hopedreamlove September 13th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would feel a little sad and disappointed, and probably take some time to think about it, and to practice self-care. I would thank the leader for letting me know, and I would ask them what I could do to grow and ask for any other feedback they might have for me, and ask any questions I have. I might also follow up with them in the future to see if there is anything else I can work on.

freshMint9376 September 13th, 2020

@hopedreamlove

Asking question is always helpful!

@hopedreamlove

Getting feedback and taking a break to understand the rejection is very important! Good response :)

Skyglider November 6th, 2020

@hopedreamlove - self care is so important!

Jili February 28th, 2021

@hopedreamlove

that's great! hope!

freshMint9376 September 13th, 2020

I would respond with grace and understanding. Not every role will be right for me, and that's okay.

I would thank them for their time and ask for feedback on my performance.

Listeningsarinn October 2nd, 2020

@freshMint9376

i love how you think about the situation, looking for the right role for yourself!

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

You should respond positively and with understanding, not everyone gets the role they want when they want it. I would ask the leader who informed me what I can do to increase my chances of getting the role the next time it is offered.

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@CognitiveACE

Very positive outlook, ACE smiley

@CognitiveACE

Aww, I love that optimism! Thinking about the situation positively and understanding, and I agree 100% that not everyone gets the role they want when they want it :) Asking for feedback is also a great way to understand the situation more and improve our chances next time around!

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@Heather225

If I don't get a role that I applied for, then I should talk to the leader of the role and request for feedback and advice so that I can improve myself in the areas where I need improvement. I should devote time to self-care. If I am hurt or jealous, then staying away from 7 Cups can be a good option.

Thank you for considering my application for this role. I would be grateful to you if you could provide me with feedback. This would help me improve on areas where I need to improve. Please also inform me about when can I apply for the role again.

rebecca947 September 16th, 2020

@shiningSound31

I love your response. It can be difficult to hear, and it sounds like you've taken that into consideration as well. Requesting for feedback is so important- without feedback, how will we learn and grow? Love it, Sound! ❤️

shiningSound31 September 17th, 2020

@rebecca947

Thanks, Rebecca heartsmileyheart Hugs heart

@shiningSound31

This is a really great answer! I agree with you about taking a self-care break and asking for feedback is important.

shiningSound31 September 19th, 2020

@BookChunky

Thank you, Chunky for liking my response and for your warm and kind reply heartheartheart

SweetDreamer69 April 17th, 2021

@shiningSound31 Really loved your reply. Lots of positivity!

shiningSound31 April 30th, 2021

@SweetDreamer69

Thank you, Dreamer heart Hugs heart

@Heather225

Don't get upset, try to understand what went wrong and how to do a better job next time.

Thank them for being honest and informing you, ask them what you did wrong to clearly understand alongwith that ask what you can do better next time you apply for that role.

Grace8402 September 19th, 2020

@BookChunky

👏👏👏

BeautifulMasterpiece October 16th, 2020

@BookChunky

It'll be hard to not get upset, but training your brain to think positively is the best way to go!

Jili February 28th, 2021

@BookChunky

good points book!

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would be a little disappointed but not much because there are so many things to do here. I would thank the leader for taking the time and let them know that I'd get better and probably try again soon.

MoonlightHelper1 September 20th, 2020

@Grace8402

This is a great response Grace! That s tue that there are so many things to do on 7 cups and sometimes we do not get the role we want to because we are not the perfect fit and maybe we would not be really satisfied with it once we have it. Sometimes we imagine things different than they are in reality. I am happy to hear that it would not discourage you and you would keep on improving.

Grace8402 September 21st, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

Well said! And thank you! Have a great day 😄

@Grace8402

great point grace! there are always many more chances to get involved in whatever the track you feel passionate about in cups!

Grace8402 October 5th, 2020

@Listeningsarinn

Well said, Sarinn! Thank you! 💜

-

Slash September 19th, 2020

Sometimes we feel no hope.. No point of progressing... Everything seems so worthless.... All desires are gone love lost but the time, The time remain constant.. Time will turn am waiting for it to turn... Time is a best but slow medicine. It will heal and give you strength

IT'S TIME, IT WILL PASS

@Slash

Wow, this was so encouraging to read! I love how you highlight that after all time will pass and only contribute to your healing process and make you stronger! Thank you for sharing these inspiring words with us!

@Slash

there are times we all need to remind this to ourselves! thanks for sharing ^-^

@Heather225

Before I answer the question, I just want to say that one of the biggest things 7 cups taught me was how to accept exactly this situation. Giving a brief overview, previously, in my own personal life, there were a lot of times I completely stopped an activity just because I did not get a role, and it is one of the main things I really regretted. When I first joined 7 cups, I went through a lot of threads, and there was also a thread about "what should you do when you were not given a role," and it was very heartfelt for me, so thank you! Now, here is my response to the questions:

Before anything, I would first thank the leader for taking the time to read through my application and for the notice as well (They are always super busy and taking even just a few minutes to read through my application is honestly super awesome and something I am thankful for). I would then congratulate anyone who did get the role! Previously, I might have been really discouraged, but I would say that since the last three months, I would really love the idea that I was not given the role (which I know sounds kind of weird), but here's my reason. Because I was not given the role, it meant that there was someone who could do even better than I did and could help this site in a better way than I could. It meant progress, and it also means somewhere I can improve as well, and obviously, another person I could look up to! Some part of me will definitely be disappointed, but this would really encourage me to see where I can improve and become even better than who I was originally when I wrote the application :) It is a time when I can really reflect about everything as well!

@DayDreamWithYou

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I completely agree that when not being given the role we should not just shout down. It is so inspiring how you would see all of this as your opportunity to grow and that you would be happy that they found the most suitable candidate they think would do the best to improve the community. I think you are going to be a great leader constantly self-developing, all the best on your journey!!

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 28th, 2020

@DayDreamWithYou

Wonderful answer!