Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 4: One Key Metric

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

It is pretty easy to get knocked off track in life. One way to stay on track is to have a core metric that guides you. If you have a north star that you are working towards, then you know how well you are doing. It is harder to be in denial or to participate in activities that are less helpful in meeting that goal.

Please watch this video

There are 2 parts to this discussion.

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

AvyIsKing March 25th, 2023

@FrenchMarbles

thank you for sharing your honest opinion, i agree but i wouldn't have said anything unless you did and im super proud of you for speaking up

FrenchMarbles March 25th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319 Nuu Avy - you're the bestiest :D

FeureVox March 17th, 2023

Work with your team or mentor and identify the critical metric you hope to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the three key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is essential. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally.

Right now, I am not working with any team or a mentor, listening to personal requests, and letting them vent. I always think like a team member whose actions and words would impact others’ professional and personal lives.

------------------------

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I don’t know, and I can not predict my death. Yet, I imagine myself at 50 when I die.

What the person would be saying at the end of my life:

My spouse: I was an average husband who just cared about taking care of the necessities of his family. I did not give enough time to my spouse where she could share what she kept inside, fearing that it might hurt me.

My Children: I was not as good a father as my children wanted me to be with them. I tried to spend my maximum time, but they wanted more.

My friend(s): I used to have friends in my school, but later on, my workmates or colleagues were my friends. I tried to be as good and honest with them, and sometimes, I hurt them too.

vivelespatates March 17th, 2023

@FeureVox thanks for your wonderful work here and your share!

vivelespatates March 17th, 2023

I make sure my team is motivated and supported in their role, and feel as part of a team. I checkin with them in pm weekly and thanks them for their work, provides with reviews of their discussions, etc. It is an important time to take with my team members.

Having goals is important because it keeps us motivated and a meaning in life and to our experiences, it remember us why we do it.

*Trigger warning*
For the other exercice, its though to share on a public forum, because its something very personal. But i honnestly don't think anyone would tell me anything at my death. I hope it will just not be too painful.

FeureVox March 19th, 2023

@vivelespatates

We appreciate the words you shared with us, and we hope they will help bring positive changes in our lives.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 22nd, 2023

My North Star would be becoming a better listener.

1 asking for feed back and badges you get.

2 trainings , ratings and reviews.

3 taking a look your self on how I am doing,

2 I did it but can not say since it’s a trigger for me with what’s going on in my life now.

JoyHappyNess March 24th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

Keep at it👏👏👏

JoyHappyNess March 24th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

1. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

To me choosing a single metric is important because it gives direction to where a person is heading to. A direction-less person is easily swayed.

2. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

This exercise helped me think beyond my present - into my future. What impact would I leave after I'm gone? How do I want to be remembered?

In my death bed, I would like people to say that I was 'Charismatic'. I can picture them saying that. Charismatic in that I was positive, living in the moment and sharing my moments with them. I would like them to aspire to be live like me.

March 27th, 2023

@JoyHappyNess

Nice answer!

KarmaTheRascal March 25th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

Choosing a single metric is important because you want to make everyone feel comfortable. This is important in the professional life because say you're part of management you're going to want to work on say making a more positive environment. So all of your employees are happy. This can help me personally because I am a door keeper so I host sessions sometimes and it will help me with keeping people happy.

I do not feel comfortable answering the second question.

4Jasmine March 4th

@KarmaTheRascal

I appreciate your answer.👍

AvyIsKing March 25th, 2023

I am currently a member of the LGBTQ+ support team (woo to all my fellow members out there) to be completely fair this question honestly confused me so im trying my best. Our key metric is to offer support to everyone, whether they be an ally, questioning or a member of the family. This will help me in my professional life because i think since joining i have grown a deeper understand and compassion for all people <3 i really hope i answered that right.

as much as i was reluctant, i did it. this is the second time i have had to imagine my death for this course (i believe the first time was for the time management elective) and i feel it is quite an inappropriate assignment, it was very triggering and upsetting for me.

i will share this much- this assignment hurt me. it made me really upset and it kinda screwed with my head. i have imagined my own funeral many times, but it was just disturbing to some extent.

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319

I like your honesty towards the exercise. I can understand how it might have been a bit disturbing… but I love what you wrote about your key metric:)

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

@Jefferythebunny319

Heyy Avy! ♡ I love your response, you are awesome on all teams you are on :)

I understand it feeling triggering and upsetting :(

March 27th, 2023

I serve as a Listener Chatroom Supporter. For that, the key metric is keeping the listener chatrooms safe, welcoming and friendly to any listener entering the rooms. That way, the listeners feel welcomed and comfortable to ask queries, or seek chat support.

Also, I'm a part of Peer Appreciation Team, so for me, the key metric would be making sure the appreciated peers get the appreciation notes in time. I think it ensures that we don't end up with a backlog of weeks-old appreciation notes. In short, this promotes punctuality and discipline.

I've done it, and I had mixed feelings about that. Because of trigger warning, I politely decline to share my answer here :)

CurrySoup12 March 31st, 2023

@charmingFlower8111 Good metrics for your roles!

RosaHere July 23rd, 2023

@charmingFlower8111 You've explained it well <3

CurrySoup12 March 31st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

Choosing a single metric has really helped me in my career path to focus on one path and not get distracted with micro-paths because I can look at each task and compare it to the metric and see how it moves the towards the metric. I have a few metrics for different areas of my life, but each one helps guide and simplify my life choices.

I'd imagine people would say that I was a hard working and sacrificial person with a heart for service (like my dad) and a willingness to go above and beyond in standing up for what I believe in. I'd imagine that my wife and sister would be the hardest hit on hearing the shocking news of my death and they would view my life legacy as an opportunity to speak the truth of what I lived.

Woof, that was a hard assignment :P

beyoutofullkalon April 12th, 2023

@CurrySoup12

Well written! It's truly moving

beyoutofullkalon April 12th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I want to be a part of the Quality Listening programme and I feel like one of our metrics is to ensure the member gets what they deserve- they get a chat which allows them to express themselves without any disturbances. Furthermore, the chat should not include obscenity in any form, has time-bound responses and serves the member's interest. It should be kind, compassionate and moulded to the needs of the members. Keeping a check on this keeps the name and the trust in the name of 7cups alive. I believe this measure of accountability and promising quality will affect a lot of aspects of my daily life as well. It will ensure I put my best foot forward and a process of self-evaluation would prove fruitful.

As for the second part of the question, I really do not want to share my response for personal reasons. Thank you!

April 28th, 2023

@beyoutofullkalon

Great response! It sounds like you might be interested in a quality mentor anonymous evaluation team helping keep a check on this front. You can learn more about it in this post: https://www.7cups.com/forum/ListenerLearningJourney_149/MentorsandTeenStars_1964/AnnouncementQualityMentorCriteriaChange_222653/

gsp-banner_1682642967.png

Heart4art April 13th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub Three key metrics I'd like to focus on in helping move 7 cups forward; is having a regular schedule where I dedicate 3+ hours a week for active listening chats with members, have a dedicated time where I help to facilitate a group chat or sub community for an hour or two, also have a dedicated time where I invest in personal growth or improving my listening or leadership skills. This will help not only 7 Cups, but me personally by being accountable and gaining practical hands on experience while helping others.

zaatarHoney April 24th, 2023

@Heart4art

That is so great! I love that you also dedicate time towards self-improvement and see that as symbiotic for both you and our members, because it's true. Great perspective. ♥︎

Rubylistens22 April 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

im part of the listener verifying team, and our key metric is to verify listeners and make sure everyone’s getting the best support they can. This helps me in my personal life because it takes planning, professionalism, and teamwork to make the team work the best we can:)

This was such an interesting exercise, but I’m not really comfy writing here:)

zaatarHoney April 24th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Choosing one metric vibes more like one shared purpose - of which many goals can be derived from.

One North Star purpose could be: Ensuring a positive and safe experience for everyone on the platform. What would allow everyone to have a positive experience here on the platform?

For Members, that could be us, as Listeners, ensuring we're providing quality listening while we take on their chats. For Listeners, that could be us, as Leaders, ensuring we are providing the supports and guidance needed to help them encouraged and not alone in this role. Among other aims as well- which is why, as Listeners and Leaders, we discuss things like triangulation and why we have appreciation teams, etc. And why, for our Members, we have quality trainings like Active Listening and VL Badges, etc.

Each team can create their own relevant goals striving toward that "north star" rather than set goals aimlessly trying to do good, and can easily tell what actions align and what does not align with the north star.

zaatarHoney April 25th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

One north star metric for here possibly would be - number of active member accounts possibly? Now I'm thinking... lol!

RainbowRosie April 25th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

🌹 My role as Listener gives me the opportunity to offer a listening ear to anybody who needs it. The key metric is ensuring everyone gets this opportunity to feel listened to, feel cared for and to feel supported. I’ve always believed sharing a problem …helps halve a problem… if I have helped just one person …or one hundred people…I know it’s worth it. This helps me personally as by helping others I know it’s also helping me. So it continues…and others can then be supported to do the very same. I’m currently looking at volunteering for the Care Team where I can hopefully learn more…do more…provide support another way …sharing the load and helping others grow in their journey …whilst helping me grow too.

🌹 I feel the people that know me, know me well. This would be family, close friends and a few work colleagues. I feel confident they will say I act in a consistent way and work to be the best I can. Although initially cautious I’m curious, hardworking and supportive.

🌹 Both exercises have been thought provoking and something I won’t forget.

RainbowRosie April 25th, 2023

Just to add;

I respect everyone’s perspective, so interesting to read all of the replies 🌹

April 28th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you hope to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally.

Analytics, now you're talking my language! I'm a GSP mentor, so the three key metrics I look at are weekly enrollment rate, retainment rate, and graduation rate. The indicators help let us know how many people are interested and have time for the program, as well as how well we're supporting trainees throughout the program.

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass to avoid being distracted by the clock.

Completed but do not feel comfortable sharing my answer.

gsp-banner_1682642669.png

broadfemmelovelive April 30th, 2023

@richuyulin

I appreciate your insight into the metrics, as I struggled with this part. I definitely struggle to label what measurement some of these things I am responsible for, and you hit the nail on the head for the role of Academy mentor. I would like to add to my answer what Lin said, please and thank you, haha

broadfemmelovelive April 30th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

For the first part of the assignment, I posted to: https://www.7cups.com/forum/SiteUpdates_100/GlensNookCommunity_547/3KeyThings_212456/1/

Three metrics I contribute to in my roles to strive for excellence on this platform are as follows but not limited to striving for listener wellbeing through self-care, ongoing professional development and community building. These all contribute to this platform by improving the support it offers.

For the second portion of this discussion response, I read chapter 12 of the 7 Cups for the Searching Soul, and this is my response to the activity:

As I sit here, imagining the end of my life, I can't help but wonder what people will say to me. Will they tell me I lived a good life and made a positive impact on those around me? Or will they regret not getting to know me better? It's a scary thought but one that I can't ignore.

I like to think that people will say kind things about me. That I was a loving partner, a dedicated friend, and a hard worker. But most importantly, I hope they say that I made a difference in their lives. That I inspired them to be better, to chase their dreams, and to never give up.

Of course, not everyone will have glowing things to say about me. There will always be those who didn't like me or didn't agree with my choices. But that's okay. I know I can't please everyone, and I've learned to accept that.

As I near the end of this assignment, I realize that what really matters is how I feel about myself. Questions such as: Did I live a life that I can be proud of? Did I make the most of my time here on Earth? I hope that in the end, I believe I did. And that's all that really matters.

Thanks as always for your support and for reading my long-winded responses. :)

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I especially like the questions at the end about whether your life was fulfilling. I think these are questions that concern us all.

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I have a lot of roles. They all have different metrics. What I want to talk about here is my role as a project agent for bringing back the Teen Sharing Circles. Even here it is difficult to have a single metric. The most straightforward metric would be to look at how many hosts there are who do weekly sessions. To ensure that, we do outreach and advertise the role. We also check in with hosts to make sure that they get the support they need. But there are other metrics we could apply. I think quality or hosting is the most important secondary metric. But that is much more difficult to evaluate.

I do not think that this has any implications for my professional or personal life.

I posted to the 3 key things thread and did the book chapter. I do not want to share my takeaway on the forums.

jadenrjc7 June 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I imagined people saying that I always tried my best. Whether it was in school, home, personal life, or work, I always gave things 110% of my efforts. This exercise was insightful and impacted how I think about myself.

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

I'm a Teen Chatroom Star ! :) ♡ Our key metric is to keep the Listener Chatrooms safe, supportive and active :p ♡ I have learnt a lot from having this role, and I think it is really important - making sure a wonderful space is kept safe and welcoming, so that listeners coming in can have their questions answered and receive the support they deserve along their listening journey.

I believe having a single metric is important as it - helps us to focus on one key goal, provides clarity and a clear direction. It also helps us to measure and evaluate performance, helps with accountability and responsibility too :) and more!

I have completed this, but don't feel comfortable sharing my answer due to personal reasons.

SnowTabby June 9th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub
Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.
Choosing a single metric is important to give you a focal point. To help you measure success in a way that will make you proud of yourself and make you want to get out of bed in the morning to see how much further or how much of a habit you can make steps toward the metric. The north star.
This is extremely important because and remind you not to get caught up in the unnecessary steps. For example... partying may be part of someone steps if their north star is networking to model, being a party or wedding planner, psychologist even (to see how people react in certain circumstances) but if someones north star is to be a CEO of a company, the best thing may not to have stories about how you like to let loose and forget responsibilities. Steps towards CEO may more include small gatherings or, if you love partying, maybe a small gathering for the 4th of July with some alcohol.
What you like doesn't have to be a sacrifice, it just has to be part of the dream. Who you strive to be.
Respecting yourself, knowing who you are and acting as who you want to be.
It is important. Especially if it helps you believe in yourself. As working in LDP helps me believe in myself.

Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you.
My compass is difficult. I do not mind sharing the brunt of it because... I want to inspire someone to admit life to themselves.
I had, and am still having, a hugely difficult time imagining my funeral. It didn't hurt to imagine myself gone, I will actually be glad once I have created my own story. It hurt because I do not know or imagine how long I actually have. When I imagined myself in a coffin, I could only see blurriness. I realize right now as I'm typing that it is because that is not where I will be. I want to be reunited with the earth that helped me live.
Apart from that. While I was imagining what would be said, I saw so many sad things... but I did feel what I wanted people to feel about me.
I want my partner to say I was honest, committed, collaborative instead of argumentative and uncompromising, dedicated to those I love and respect, and not afraid to reach for adventures to learn about myself while learning about life.
I want my children to say I was considerate, their best friend, a mother they were proud of, and someone who had a marriage that inspired them to never settle for less.
I messed up a bunch through highschool and college so I lost all my longterm friends but I do want someone I can go to who will prioritize me like I would them. I want to actually want to be around them. I want them to say I was supportive regardless of the circumstances, wise, friendly, didn't take bull**** from anyone, and that I had no filter.
Overall, I just want to be seen as honestly natural to myself as I can be. My values are that I do not want to settle or be a push over or keep my mouth shut or unsupportive/dismissive. I want to be someone anyone can talk to because they know they'll get the truth.

That's a little bit drawn out but yes. It's personal but I believe there is beauty in taking a chance. This helped me see/accept/understand my values. I hope it can inspire someone to share theirs too.

AnnaSilverberg June 13th, 2023
@FrenchToastClub

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move.
Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the
3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward.
Please post here why this goal of choosing a single
metric is important.
Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

💚 I am a part of couple of wonderful teams here, they are all very important to me. 💚

I am in the Peer Appreciation Team, there I spread appreciation, kindness and joy.
That can have wonderful effects on the days of listeners and members of the community.

I am a Quality Mentor for Adults and Teens, that gives me the joy and gift of sharing my
knowledge of Active Listening with listeners who are on their listener journey,
so they can strengthen their skills or learn new ones, get information or any listener
related support that they might need.

I am also a Chatroom Mentor, that gives me the ability to make the chat rooms safe,
which is absolutely wonderful! I have always made sure that the Listener Support Room
is a welcoming one and I have always welcomed every listener who entered before I
took on this role, but having the ability to provide a safe environment with the abilities
that a Chatroom Mentor has is just a gift that keeps on giving.

(TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life.
If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise.
If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you.
What you imagine them telling you is your compass.
If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying,
then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life.
Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I read the book as an elective, but had to skip this chapter.
This is too triggering for me, so I will not take part in this one.

Thank you!
✨💙✨

Jenna July 11th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

It looks like you're aware of the key metric that is needed for all the teams you're a part of!

Mahad2804 July 13th, 2023

That is such an in-depth analysis @AnnaSilverberg

Thanks for putting so much thought into this and thanks for sharing this with us!