Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 4: One Key Metric

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

It is pretty easy to get knocked off track in life. One way to stay on track is to have a core metric that guides you. If you have a north star that you are working towards, then you know how well you are doing. It is harder to be in denial or to participate in activities that are less helpful in meeting that goal.

Please watch this video

There are 2 parts to this discussion.

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

GermanZebraCupcake June 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I'm both a room supporter and peer supporter. In both roles, it is vital I focus on providing warm and welcoming place to exist in our little digital slice of life. So many people want to be heard fully and feel like somebody is just present with them so I always aim to take that level of presence with me.

(TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I really loved this exercise, since I honestly think it's a very healthy and positive thing to occasionally reflect on death and our overall impact in life. I think I'd rather keep some of the things I thought of to myself, but I just wanted to generally praise this activity.

CharlieDont37 July 7th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake

I am just a member and a very recent one at that.

I appreciated the fact that you did not post your thoughts on the exercise. Neither did or will I. Feels too profound to post and share.

Thank you for your role in 7 Cups!

CharlieDont37 July 7th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I am not part of 7 Cup Team. But I think I understand the '3 Key Things' I write them down at the beginning of each work day/session. At the end of the day, anything not done is forwarded to the next work day/session '3 Key Things' list and so on and so on. At the end of the week. I monitor which ones I completed and give myself a % Completion Score. Metrics are Important. Unless I acknowledge my accomplishments, I tend to overrate myself.

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I read this, but do not wish to put my writing in a post that is open to the public. That said. a terrifically insightful exercise. Thank you.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Jenna July 11th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I lead the peer support team. Our key metric is focusing on helping listeners feel supported when faced with a challenge on the site whether it be with a chat, forums, group support, or a site change. This goal is important so listeners can feel like the listener community cares about them and helps them feel motivated to not give up and keep trying. Focusing on one goal is important because it will be more manageable than trying to hit other targets and keeping important strategies at hand.

I read the chapter but the topic of death is triggering and not something I am comfortable being open about in public.

Mahad2804 July 13th, 2023
North Star Metric

I gotta say this one made me think a lot but it was definitely worth it.

I'm a Listener Events Team host and for me, the most important thing is being able to spark joy in people's lives. My goal is to give back to the community and to these amazing people who give so much of their time and energy to supporting others.

I think this goal is what brings me to take time out of my day to host sessions like riddles or game nights.

Sure, there are some more "knowledgable" sessions that could be hosted but while so many people focus on those, I think they forget to have fun.

And I don't mean to undermine the work of those people, they are amazing and vastly more educated than me and their work is so so important for this community.

But in my opinion, having fun is also an important aspect of any kind of teamwork. It's also one of the key values of 7 Cups, "Have Fun and Be Fulfilled". So that is what I focus on, just bringing people together for a fun, enjoyable time.

Exercise

This was unexpectedly tough for me.

We, or at least I, see death so often around me but never really stop to think about my own. It's a humbling thought experiment, this one.

Anyways, here's what I came up with:

* I didn't want to put a timeline on when I die so I'm just gonna imagine it for right now. If I died at this very moment, here's what I think people will have to say about that. *

The first image that comes to mind when I think about this is my mother crying in my father's arms. This is so painful to think but I think it's important to keep going.

My parents wouldn't much have much to say, they'd just want to grieve in peace. I know they won't have much if any, negative sentiment about me because recently they've been telling me more and more that they're proud of me.

I've worked hard this past year, did some real work on myself and my parents have seen it.

I think one of the people that will have a say on this is a cousin of mine. She's about 2 years older than me and lives in a different country. I haven't seen her in 10 years but we talk often and I would say we're pretty close.

I think she would speak to what kind of a friend I was and our relationship. She'd be devastated as well but not nearly as much as my parents and I think she'd still have the composure to talk about me at the funeral.

Lastly, I think my best friend would have some good things to say about me.

He'll probably mention some of the so fun times we had together. Some of the so very crazy things we did together. And just say how much he misses me.

I know he'll be feeling so much more at that moment but he'll keep it all inside. He'll be there for my parents, he'll comfort them even though he's crying on the inside as well.

That's pretty much all the people of significance that I think will have something important to say at my funeral. There will likely be lots of other people as well but I don't think they'll have much to say other than the generic "He was a nice boy" or the condolences.
MaggieListens00 July 15th, 2023

@Mahad2804

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, very thorough :D

MaggieListens00 July 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Using a single metric allows us to easily measure the changes we are making by giving us a clear goal. It narrows down the generalised goal into small obtainable steps which may be easier to see, especially in the short-term.

Read chapter 12, have journaled my thoughts privately

Rivelino3 July 15th, 2023

Choosing a goal of single metric may have the benefit of it being easy to fall back on, since it's just one all encompassing thing that helps create simplicity when in a storm. Instead of looking for highly complicated structures, which can be hard to do when you are struggling, the easiest and most efficient way is to fall back on that one thing that is simple yet effective enough to guide you out of that storm, after which you may look into extensive details of how to progress further based on that one simple guiding factor.

I recently joined the quality mentor and chat support team, which is my way of giving back to the community and helping it progress after having gotten lot of good from being on this site.

Rivelino3 July 15th, 2023

@Rivelino3 I missed the second part of the question.

It is a highly sensitive area, which the question takes me to. I would find it hard to put into words my exact emotions, considering I have been through an experience similar to this scenario not too long ago. I would like to opt to not answer this part of the question 💛

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@Rivelino3 Good on you for opting out of something you wouldn't feel one hundred percent comfortable sharing, people like you show us that enforcing boundaries is a wonderful thing to do :))

Gilbird July 19th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I am a part of the Trauma Support Community as a Discussion Host. The Trauma Support room is not often open for free chats, as it is a very sensitive subject. As a discussion host, our key metric is to hold space for everyone in the chatroom, ensure that the chat stays on-topic, share useful information, and maintain a safe+open space in the chatroom.

Discussion hosts are evaluated based on feedback forms from members who participated in the discussion. It would also be helpful if the feedback form had a section on "topics covered" during the chat. It would differentiate hosts from one another, by knowledge level and how well they can lead a productive conversation.

Choosing a single, primary metric is important because it allows for focused effort, which is important both in a personal and professional sense.

Completed this exercise, but would rather not share it.

RosaHere July 23rd, 2023

Choosing a single metric is important because it allows you to learn about your goal and track your progress. It assists you in identifying areas that need to be improved as well as those that are being improved. This can also benefit you in your personal life. I'm a part of the Peer Support team. Our key metric is to support Listeners after a difficult chat or an upsetting experience on this site. We provide support to ensure that listeners feel at ease and that they have someone to turn to for support anytime they need it.

I've completed the second task.

DisLifeNot August 3rd, 2023

@RosaHere Thank you for completing the tasks, you're doing great!

Artalistens August 17th, 2023

@RosaHere

fantastic initiative! Love hearing your thoughtful response.

DisLifeNot August 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub Thank you for your post!

It is important to choose a single metric as this promotes self-growth. I am Room Supporter and I think it can help me being more empathetic on 7cups but also in real life when I want to support someone who i care for.

(TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I completed it but I'm not comfortable sharing, sorry

@FrenchToast

Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move.
Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the
3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward.
Please post here why this goal of choosing a single
metric is important.
Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I am a peer supporter this is super important to me, because being a listener is not easy at some points. Sometimes I like to provide them with Strategies, they can use to help themselves wind down after a difficult chat in ways theycan handle those chats moving forward

I am a listener, chat room supporter meaning I can support listener, chat rooms by providing resources, answering simple questions, and keeping the energy positive in the rooms dedicated to listeners. It’s important because it provides reassurance in the listeners journey.

I am part of the safety patrol team Meaning I can keep the site safe by flagging for files that might be unsafe to other users because they are inappropriate or do not meet the guidelines.

These things are important because they keep the site safe for everyone.

@Artalistens I am replying to myself, because I have made a mistake. I have read and acknowledged the second question, but I do not feel comfortable sharing my answer because it personal reasons.

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

The key metric I am hoping to help move is to help my community to become more accepting and understanding of others. Choosing a single metric is important because as the video stated, a North Star metric is needed to really flesh out a specific vision. My metric is important professionally because it enables coworkers to complete the task at hand with compassion and awareness, and it is important personally because it will help me build strong connections with others. I can measure my metric by counting the number of people I feel that I have positively influenced to become more understanding of either my situation or someone else's.

The exercise pushed me to really think about what I would want others to remember most about me. Most of all, I want people to say that I made a meaningful difference in their lives, and that they considered me a good friend of theirs. It made me want to foster stronger connections and find small ways to support others.

LightsFromDark September 13th, 2023
@lovelyApple6441 I liked the answer, I enjoyed reading it
LoveMyMoonflowers September 26th, 2023

@lovelyApple6441

Your response was very well-written 💛 Great job! :3

LightsFromDark September 13th, 2023
@טוסט צרפתי This is important because it helps us pave a correct and safe tread on our paths and helps a lot to focus us on our main goal. This creates a very clear path. As for the second task, completed, but prefer not to share here.
LoveMyMoonflowers September 26th, 2023

I am currently in the Peer Appreciation Team 💛 Together we make beautiful posts with appreciation messages 💛 We work to spread warmth, appreciation and kindness always 💛 I’ve learnt a lot from having this role, and from my fellow smile spreaders. And I think this role is important because here at 7cups we want to maintain a warm environment, and a great way to do that is appreciation 💛

We should choose a single metric for ourselves because this provides us a clear main goal. It also helps us track all our progress. We can measure everything we accomplish in relation to our single metric—our clear main goal.

I have completed the second exercise 💛 but I have not posted my answers here for personal reasons. Thank you very much 💛

LOOPHOLE October 6th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Three key metrics I'd like to focus on in helping move 7 cups forward; is having a regular schedule where I dedicate 3+ hours a week for active listening chats with members, have a dedicated time where I help to facilitate a group chat or sub community for an hour or two, also have a dedicated time where I invest in personal growth or improving my listening or leadership skills. This will help not only 7 Cups, but me personally by being accountable and gaining practical hands on experience while helping others.

I'm not comfortable with answering the second question 

warmheartedCamp3360 October 8th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important.

Choosing a single metric is important because it makes things clear and helps us focus. When we have just one important number to watch, it's easier to understand our main goal and see if we're doing well.

Having one metric also helps everyone in a group or company work together towards the same target. We can track our progress better and know who is responsible for what.

It simplifies decision-making, guides how we use our resources, and motivates us to reach our goal. Plus, it makes it easier to tell others about what we're trying to achieve. So, having that one clear metric is like a compass that guides us on our journey.

bestBraveheart57 October 13th, 2023

@warmheartedCamp3360

Hi, Camp. I agree that choosing a single metric can simplify things and help us focus. Good work, keep it up!

bestBraveheart57 October 13th, 2023

@FrenchToast

A single metric is important because it simplifies important goals and creates a true sense of accomplishment. In professional work, it guides us to achieve goals that match the results and acts as a fast track. In personal life, this reduces the likelihood of climbing the wrong ladder when we try to achieve satisfaction with focusing on right choices.

I imagine people might say something like: She's beautiful and cute. She is intelligent and a perfectionist who seems to indirectly put pressure on herself. She is talkative and visionary. She tends to projects conversations into the future. She is also a supportive and easy to admire individual. She cares about her family, being very close to her mother. She understands how to resolve conflicts in society and against gossip. She often sees the good in others. She has high energy and has high standards that inspire those closest to her.

I remember the essence of my life. It's not about the future but what value we leave for the people we love most. My compass is simpler than a dream goal. It's about the people.

Grace3012 October 29th, 2023

@FrenchToast

It's important to have a goal and choosing a single metric is important because it helps u to be focused and not getting distracted. It's very easy to get distracted and in turn it will lead to less productivity and will hamper our performance.

It's too much to share this , maybe I'll skip it. Thank you <333

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@Grace3012 Wonderful! 

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Choosing a single key metric and consistently posting updates on progress is crucial for both professional and personal development. This practice ensures alignment with 7 Cups' organizational goals, fostering collaboration and efficiency within the team. A specific metric provides a measurable target, allowing for real-time adjustments and promoting accountability and transparency. Professionally, this approach contributes to skill development and job satisfaction, fostering a sense of purpose and direction. Personally, focusing on a key metric enhances motivation, time management, and overall productivity, providing a strategic framework for continuous learning and growth.

WeEarth November 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Choosing a single metric is crucial both professionally and personally. Professionally, it provides focus and clarity, guiding decision-making and efforts toward a specific, measurable goal. Personally, having a clear metric aids in prioritizing what truly matters, leading to a more meaningful and fulfilling life.

I can imagine at the end of my life, people saying that I made a positive impact on their lives, that I was compassionate, and contributed to the well-being of others. This exercise serves as a powerful reminder of what truly matters, guiding my actions and choices toward a purposeful life. It's a compass that aligns my actions with the values and impact I want to leave behind. This exercise reinforces the importance of staying true to my compass, living authentically, and not being swayed by external pressures or distractions.

Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@WeEarth I absolutely love your response here ✨

Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

I don't currently work with a team, although I have applied to join the Active Listener Verifier team (🤞)

But three things I do to help 7 Cups move forward is:

1) have a lot of positive interactions with both members and listeners

2) take a variety of chats, and give them the time they need

3) spent lots of time working on my training and certification - and earned lots of new badges!

By focusing on one metric, you can give everything you have to it and ensure you are giving your best.

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I have completed this, but I am not comfortable sharing as it's incredibly personal for me :) 

8grim8 November 23rd, 2023
@Shannon1996
Nice! it's good to see that you are putting some positive energy into 7cups too! 
Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@Shannon1996

i love that although you weren’t on a team yet, you were still able to identify ways that you are helping cups ti move forward!

8grim8 November 23rd, 2023

(I have posted in the thread~!)

Having a key metric can help keep the flow of your energy and focus one area in an organized manner, and therefore can be crucial when it comes to productivity and such. Personally how this can help me is that I actually enjoy helping other people, because it is one of the things that make me happy. Showing guidance. So, I had done a metric for helping out on 7cups.

I have completed the exersise and read chapter 12. I think vaguely put it resonates and makes sense, but at the same time sometimes I can't even tell what impression I may be putting on people until towards the end where feelings become more apparent. It's factors of our own emotions, the world around us, and whether we are feeling well enough to keep being our healthy selves..

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToast

i am part of the peer appreciation team.  Our primary metric is to make listeners and members feel appreciated and to bring a smile to their faces.  Hence the reason we are called Smile Spreaders.  I believe this is moving 7 cups forward by bringing people back because they know they are appreciated.

on the second question, I completed the exercise, but I’m not comfortable sharing publicly.

starryCandy6123 December 9th, 2023

@FrenchToast I believe it, is very important, to focus one thing at a time.  Trying to support too many people at same time.  Often leads. To mistakes being made

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@FrenchToast

✒️ (TW: themes that deal with death) Read chapter 12 of our Searching Soul book and do the exercise where you imagine it is the end of your life. If comfortable, post what you imagine people saying to you at the conclusion of the exercise. If comfortable, then please share how the exercise impacted you. What you imagine them telling you is your compass. If you are acting in a way that is consistent with what they are saying, then it is very likely that you will end up living a meaningful life. Remember to listen to and follow this compass so as not to be distracted by the clock.

I've just finished the exercise, and I must say, it was a truly eye-opening experience for me. It gave me such valuable insights into how my life could unfold and the potential comments that I might receive from others. It also allowed me to analyze the situation from diverse perspectives. It's fascinating to see how this exercise allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of myself and the possibilities that lie ahead. However, I am not comfortable sharing my response. I hope that you understand. 🌸

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Done! ✨

~ Xaverie

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@crypticwhisperss1

I forgot to include the first part of this discussion. 😅

✒️ Work with your team or mentor and identify the key metric you are hoping to help move. Post daily (or the cadence that makes sense) in the 3 key things thread to highlight what you are doing to help us move 7 Cups forward. Please post here why this goal of choosing a single metric is important. Think of how this is important in your professional life, but also how this can help you personally as well.

Although I am a new listener, I strongly believe that choosing a single metric is crucial for our team's success. By focusing on a specific key metric, we can align our efforts and work towards a common goal. This level of clarity allows us to measure our progress, identify areas for improvement, and ultimately drive meaningful impact.

Professionally, having a clear and measurable metric helps us track our performance and demonstrate the value we bring to this platform. It provides a tangible way to assess our contributions and showcase our effectiveness as a team. 

On a personal level, having a single metric to focus on helps me stay motivated and accountable. It gives me a sense of purpose and direction and helps me with knowing that my efforts are directly contributing to moving 7 Cups forward. It also allows me to reflect on my own growth and development, as I strive to continuously improve and make a positive impact in my role as a listener.

Thank you! 

ABrightBlueHeart December 23rd, 2023

@FrenchToast

Training to be a mentor for the Quality Listening Program, and the metric I want to work on is The number of people signing up for QLP in a month

The exercise made me realize what my primary goals are in life, and also how easy it is to get distracted by all the things that social and cultural norms claim SHOULD be your goals. It reminded me that in a fast-paced world revolving around materialism, possessions, and instant gratification, it's the human relationships that we build slowly over the years that eventually matter the most.