Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 3: When you don't get the role you want

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

April 28th, 2023

@zaatarHoney

I really admire this mindset you have. Not taking things personally, but understanding, we don't always see the bigger picture. The confidence in our own abilities to a great job and bring something special to role regardless of result is amazing.

gsp-banner_1682641868.png

broadfemmelovelive April 27th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If I found out that I was not given a role, I would respectfully ask the leader for the reason behind their decision. I would express my interest in contributing to the team and ask if there are any other openings where I could help. I think I would also follow up to ask what professional development I could do to fit the role better. would also thank the leader for considering me and let them know that I am open to feedback to improve myself in the future. It's essential to remain professional and courteous in such situations and not let emotions get in the way.

April 28th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hi 'Leader's Username',

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am a little disappointed, but I'm grateful for your time and consideration in reading my application. If you have a few minutes, I would really appreciate some feedback to help me improve with future applications.

gsp-banner_1682641683.png

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

This is very clear and to the point! 😊

Smrtbibliophile May 12th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi Leader,

Thanks for letting me know - I get delivering disappointing news is never fun, and while I'm disappointed I understand and appreciate you letting me know. Whenever you have a minute if you could give some feedback on anything I can do to help better my chances in the future I wolud appreciate it! I hope you have a great rest of your day!

MagnificentSunrise May 25th, 2023

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hello Leader, thank you for reviewing my application. I understand that I do not live up to the expectations for the role right now. Could you kindly inform me what I will have to improve to be considered for the role in the future? Please feel free to take your time with your response. Have a great day! ❤️

SnowTabby June 3rd, 2023

@MagnificentSunrise
At first, the unhappiness of imagining not getting a role seemed to come out in your response but it gradually grew to acceptance and a great response.
Your interest in improvement immediately is inspiring :) I hope it's as easy when a denial happens as it seems right now

jadenrjc7 June 5th, 2023

@MagnificentSunrise

I love this!

Rivelino3 July 15th, 2023

@MagnificentSunrise such a beautiful way to ask for constructive feedback looking to improve, while politely understanding the current decision

GermanZebraCupcake May 29th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub\

If I were not given a role, I would honestly not think it that big of a deal personally speaking. I would thank them and internally feel it is just not the right time for me to ascend to that role.

Hello (Leader Name),

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. If you have any feedback for me so I can improve in the future and be the fit 7 Cups is looking for in this role, please do let me know. If you're not comfortable with that, I respect that as well. Again, thank you for your time. Have a great week ahead! /endofmessage

Artalistens August 17th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake quite detailed, really thought provoking.

LOOPHOLE October 6th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake

Informative.. thank you 👍

@FrenchToastClub\

If I were not given a role, I would honestly not think it that big of a deal personally speaking. I would thank them and internally feel it is just not the right time for me to ascend to that role.

Hello (Leader Name),

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. If you have any feedback for me so I can improve in the future and be the fit 7 Cups is looking for in this role, please do let me know. If you're not comfortable with that, I respect that as well. Again, thank you for your time. Have a great week ahead! /endofmessage

CharlieDont37 July 6th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake

I like your response. I certainly ask just for my edification and a reality check. With the 'reality check' perhaps being more important. I could always feel that I am a much bigger asset than I am and that seems to me a very good thing to know.

@FrenchToastClub

Hello (Leader Name),

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

@GermanZebraCupcake

I love your response ! :)

SnowTabby June 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub
I have been denied spots that I had my heart set on before. I was decent at handling the first time but I have since learned. I know to respond with thanks- for the empathy in being told instead of just never hearing back - and the want to be better to get it next time. Often time reflecting on the original decision to want it and whether I can handle it or if I truly want it. I do not believe anything is a coincidence.
If I do not get the role I applied for on 7 Cups, I would respond with expecting more from myself. I would push myself to spend more time in group chats, take on more member chats in a structured technique, work on improving my approach to situations I am not sure how to handle, and trying to understand why I didn't get the role.

Understanding. Reflection. Effort.

In words, though. I would say: "I appreciate you taking the time to tell me I did not get the role with empathy. Thank you for not leaving me in the dark and I hope I can improve to be able to apply again for a leadership role." I know I should reach out to the decider (who may not be who reached out to me) about why I was not approved. That would be my next step.
You don't get anywhere with aggression, overtaking emotions, and cruel words. Keeping some of the negative response inside is also sometimes a good response. Often times it takes a few moments to remind yourself to be kind and not take it too personally.

Mahad2804 July 12th, 2023

@SnowTabby that is so amazing! it's short, succinct, and sweet

I also love the rest of your answer, you really went so in-depth and covered just about everything.

Thanks so much for sharing all this info!

DisLifeNot August 3rd, 2023

@SnowTabby You're answer was very great and deep! Thank you!

lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@SnowTabby Great point about reflecting on the position and whether you truly wanted in the first place/can handle it. I definitely agree that sometimes a rejection can help you realize that this is not actually the right path for you, or that you need a little more work before you are ready. This was a really thoughtful response.

jadenrjc7 June 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I would that the "rejection" as a learning opportunity to strengthen my skill set. I would ask what I could have done better to be given the role, and put it into practice!

MaggieListens00 June 17th, 2023

@jadenrjc7

Great answer ❤️😄

TabbyCat97 June 7th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Respond calmly, respectfully and be understanding ♡ ~ ask for some feedback on what areas you can improve on/ what you need to do in order to get the role next time :)

Example-

Hiii, thank you for letting me know the outcome of the application. I understand that at this time I have not got this role, but I am wondering if you could provide me with some feedback on areas in which I can improve in, and let me know what I need in order to get this role next time? :) Thank you so much for all you do, I really appreciate it.

AnnaSilverberg June 13th, 2023
@FrenchToastClub

Question:
If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I should be respectful and understanding that this is not the only opportunity that
I have for applying for that specific role.

To treat the person who is informing me of this with respect and empathy because
it was possibly just as hard for them to inform me of me not getting the role.

💎

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hay (Leader), thank you so much for informing me, I appreciate it!
Could you give me some feedback on what I can improve on and what I need to learn,
so that I can improve myself and apply for the role again when I feel that I am fit to do so.
I would also like to know how much time has to pass until I can apply for that role again,
just so I don't apply for it when it's not possible for me to apply for it.
Thank you so much for everything you do, I wish you a wonderful rest of your day!
✨💙✨

Jenna July 11th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

Very detailed and thoughtful!

MaggieListens00 June 17th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hi there XXXXX. Thank you for letting me know about XXX position. I will admit I am a little disappointed not to be given this role but I understand I might not be a fit at the present. Thanks for reading my application, if at all possible, could you spare a few minutes to give me some feedback on what went well/needs improving. I am sure there will be future opportunities! Hope you have a good rest of your day - Eagle

CharlieDont37 July 6th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hello, 'Leader/Direct Report'. I see that you chose someone - 'X' for the position that I was interested in. I think 'X' will do a terrific job for you and be an asset to the team. I wondered if you had a few moments to discuss how I can improve so that if and when a similar position becomes available, I would have all the required skills to get that position. What are the areas that you felt I lacked? What are the areas that you think I can improve? Do you see me ever being capable of that position?

Asking these types of questions helps me to see if both my expectations and view of myself align with my Leader/Direct Report and determine if my view of myself is realistic. I am unrealistic, then I need to work on my deficiencies if I am realistic, this Leader/Direct Report, might be a hinderance to my advancement in the company and I should think of changing jobs.

All in all, the conversation will be very enlightening.

Gilbird July 19th, 2023

@CharlieDont37

I don't think it's necessary to call out the name of the person who got the role instead of you, even if it's in a positive manner. Perhaps that's just personal taste.

The rest of your message to the leader sounds great! Your reasoning also makes sense.

Jenna July 11th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

I should respond with poise and understanding. Remain professional and level-headed. I would ask the leader if they could give me feedback to help me understand areas of growth I need to improve in so I can be ready when I apply for the next time.

Mahad2804 July 12th, 2023

*using @FrenchToastClub as the leader*

Hey French, thanks for letting me know!

Although it's disappointing to hear that I wasn't chosen, I am grateful for the consideration.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback you might have for me on how I could improve for future roles.

I also want you to know that despite this setback, I'm still dedicated to supporting this community and the people here and I look forward to keeping up my contributions regardless of what role I'm in.

Thanks again for your time!

Rivelino3 July 15th, 2023

I would naturally be disappointed, how much disappointed I would feel would be depending on the reasons why I didn't get the role. My reaction would in turn lead me to either focus on making the grade by trying to improve on my skill set or fulfilling additional requirements, if the scenario allows for it.

I would discuss the matter with the leader by trying to ask for what were the reasons I didn't get accepted and if I could do something to try to be accepted in my next try, while accepting the current decision and being understanding with them.
Gilbird July 19th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Hi (Leader's Username),

Thanks for letting me know. May I please have some feedback on my application and what points of it need to be strengthened? I really care about giving back to the ____ community in this role and am planning to apply again in the future, with a strong application.

Thank you for your time,

Gilbird

RosaHere July 22nd, 2023

@Gilbird That's great, Gilbird!

RosaHere July 22nd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

"Hello and thank you for your response! Despite my disappointment, I respect your decision. That's okay, I will reapply later with improved skills. It would be great if you could provide me with some pointers on how to get this role the next time. Thank you for your time and effort."

DisLifeNot August 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would take it positively even if i would be a bit upset and ask what are my areas of improvement.

Artalistens August 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would naturally be disappointed, how much disappointed I would feel would be depending on the reasons why I didn't get the role. I will always ask questions regarding I can go about applying for future roles and about what my strengths and weaknesses are so I am aware. I I will also ask if I was to apply for a role at another time what can I change? I can thank them for their help and move on, there’s no point in harping on it. There are lots of responsibilities you can take on.

pandanfe August 30th, 2023

@Artalistens

That's a nice attitude to take on rejection 😊

LightsFromDark September 11th, 2023
@Artalistens Nice answer, I agree so much
lovelyApple6441 August 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast I would thank the leader for the opportunity! I would maybe feel a little disappointed, but would focus on building credentials through trainings and earning badges as well as doing more chats so that I can reapply in the future.

LoveMyMoonflowers September 23rd, 2023

@lovelyApple6441

Great response! 💛