Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 4: System vs Goals

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In today's discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy.

A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldn't integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, you'd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but it'll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages.

✒️ What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

✒️ What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

December 20th, 2022

@Hope

I really enjoyed watching the video, thank you so much for sharing this!

✒️ What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

In life a key system that I need to set up to help me succeed is an effective studying technique. This will help me more than the goal of passing an exam as it will give me to tools to lead to more success.

✒️ What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

Three behaviours which I can implement to help me grow into my new system are: ambitious, organised and conscientious.

✒️ What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

I want to start exercising/being more active

✒️ What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

Go on bike rides daily, be consistent and determined to workout at least 3 times a week, and make sure to get rest on the other days. 

Alambo905 July 25th

@whimsicalCloud4661

Bike rides are quite adventurous and fun, you get to enjoy the beauty of nature around at your own pace indeed!😃

Wish you all the very best in your endeavors!

Mohamed10102121 July 16th

I was happy to discuss these ideas and I came to know the importance of the plan and system, but I needed more to regain my ideas, and I wish everyone change for the better and success.

TheFantasticPengua December 21st, 2022

@Hope

1. I really like the system for healthy eating.

a. Dedicated

b. Awareness

c. Open

NanditaB January 6th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

Ya it is indeed important

WishUponAStar968 February 21st

@NanditaB

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!

@TheFantasticPengua

You got this!!!

CallumCares421 December 22nd, 2022

A key system I need is to drink more water.

Being consistent with drinking water is probably one of the best things. Other important things are being open-minded about change, and focusing more on how much healthier I am going to become rather than what would happen if I wasn't consistent.

December 23rd, 2022

@CallumCares421

Those behaviours are really important, I also agree!

GermanZebraCupcake May 5th, 2023

@CallumCares421

This is such a vibe. I hope we all get on a good route to being better at hydrating ourselves, myself included!

Ivy229 May 21st

@CallumCares421

Being consistent with drinking water is also one of my goals. It is amazing what something so simply can do for a person and their health. 

sunnySea4551 January 5th, 2023

@Hope

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

I need to have a better diet and exercise more.

setting up Meal plans. only buying the items I need at the store and exercising after lunch everyday

purplelady568 January 19th, 2023

@sunnySea4551 hey, those are great behaviors to implement! I wish you much success on your journey to a healthier you!

March 10th, 2023

@sunnySea4551

Awesome behaviors!

@sunnySea4551 hey we have similar goals :)) I also wanna try to be more active! Wish you luck dude!

NanditaB January 6th, 2023

@Hope

To follow a fitness system

ambitious, dedicated and consistent

@NanditaB

I really like the words you used to describe what you will do next. I wonder if it would be helpful to write down small steps, that can grow into bigger changes? For instance, to join a gym, or walk 3 days a week, or find a workout buddy?

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@purplelady568 Great job

Chloe1644 January 29th, 2023

@NanditaB

hey these are some good answers

@Hope

I had to rewatch the video a few times because i was trying to focus on the new-to-me concepts and terminology. In my family/circle, we called such systems "lifestyle changes".

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? A better system of organization.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life? 1. Write down reminders/set alarms about following up on previous conversations or commitments. 2. Stick to scheduled times and activities. Build in extra time for traffic or other mishaps. 3. Feel free to say NO to things that are time wasters. 4. Have a reasonable estimate of how long something will take to complete, and adjust as needed.

JasmineFlower222 January 21st, 2023

@purplelady568 this sounds amazing!

purplelady568 January 21st, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 aww thank you! 😊

I would like to practice my flute more often so I can make wind ensemble.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

1. Practicing everyday

2. Practicing for at least 1 hour

3. Work on the piece I'm playing measure by measure

purplelady568 January 21st, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 I love music and it's so nice to hear that you want to add more music into your life! I wish you much success as you begin to build new habits.

@purplelady568 awe thank you ❤️🥰🥰

jasishereforallofu January 23rd, 2023

@JasmineFlower222 I wish I could play piano, 😊

JasmineFlower222 January 23rd, 2023

@jasmineishereforu piano is cool 🥰

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

That's such a cool goal!!

jasishereforallofu January 23rd, 2023

@Hope

Being more positive and having that mindset.

Change my mindset, have a daily reminder for my positivity and reading more books that can teach me how to do better.

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

@jasmineishereforu Hi there. I hope that you are doing well and that you are being kind to yourself with your thoughts. I know you said you wanted to be more positive, and I assure you, you can! Take it one day at a time. Reading self help books can definitely be beneficial. Great job for you for wanting to think better and be more positive in life. <3 I am proud of you.

WishUponAStar968 February 19th

@jasishereforallofu

Jas- I also agree with taking away the intrusive thoughts and combating them with a positive mindset with practice can help with thinking negatively! Thank you!

Chloe1644 January 29th, 2023

@Hope

I'm not sure

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life? not sure

vivelespatates March 8th, 2023

@Chloe1644 I'm sure you can find something! Maybe connect with a listener to brainstorming some ideas? :)

kindJewel5362 February 6th, 2023

A system that lets me track and evaluate my body composition ratio and my macros (carbs, fat, and protein) so that I can hit my fitness goals.

I can start planning my meals to include more variety so I won't get bored and order takeout. I can also be more disciplined about proper proportioning. And also being more disciplined about not reaching for dessert.

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

Honestly, I need to learn how to be more organized. Do not get me wrong, I am the type of person that knows where everything is in a room of clutter... but the moment someone moves something from where I put it, my life falls in shambles. Lol. In all seriousness, I have never been the organized person in "real life" but on paper, all my papers and notes have to be consistent and organized.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

3 things that I could implement to help me grow in that new system are: jotting down my ideas and reasons for wanting to be organized, sorting through things and declutter things in my life that serve no purpose, and being more consistent. I feel that if my life is more organized and I do not have so many things then the insides of me will be more at ease.

iPHOENIX February 15th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant

I do definetely need to be organised, and I missed that in my answer :) But I do know that we can always improve and I really know that you can.

YourCaringConfidant February 15th, 2023

@iPHOENIX You are too kind and encouraging! Thank you for that. ♡ I believe that we can do anything!

sky2Ocean20 February 27th

@YourCaringConfidant

wao, that's a good perspective you are having about building the system to be more organized. I am sure it will go well. 💛

BenittaJ February 13th, 2023

@Hope

Ans : i want to gain some weight. I'm extremely under weight.

Ans: diet, exercise, yoga.