Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 1, Discussion 1: MBTI Personality Types

Hope December 5th, 2022

Hello Leadership Crew!

Please make sure you have introduced yourself here before taking part in the discussion!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;

b) work that is interesting to you; and

c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths, things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress.

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

✒️ What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please (Example: INTJ)

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

❗After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! tinyurl.com/Course1Discussion2

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

safetysource12 December 22nd, 2023

@AwarmHEART that's really nice! It sure is a plus to be an open minded person!

safetysource12 December 22nd, 2023

Hi @Hope !

My personality type is INFP!

I learnt that I am actually not a very forgiving person but this comes after MASSIVE patience and tolerance.

quietlistener2023 January 1st

@safetysource12

It is is good you learned about yourself and noticed you have issues forgiving people easily.  That is difficult bymut hopefully with time you can improve 

calmstrawberry0608 December 25th, 2023

✒️ What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please 

ISTP

I learned how much I enjoy new situations and explorations of boundaries - testing the extents of my limits. Additionally, I realized that I'm more focused on the present and tend to rely more on logic than emotion. Although my emotions run deep, I tend to conceal them because I do not know how to deal with them. 

NewYorker11 January 6th

@calmstrawberry0608

i sometimes feel this way too, not knowing how to handle my thoughts and having emotional decision making to do that leads to ruminating thoughts. i wish you all the best!!!

lovingAngel2307 March 1st

@calmstrawberry0608 I always feel that way, the thoughts crushed me but I try to make myself stand up. Wish you good luck 

quietlistener2023 January 1st

@HopeI am INFJ.  I learned about myself that I can be introverted and private but empathetic and also I guess I have quite a few behaviours typical for INFJs

NewYorker11 January 6th

@Hope

What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please (Example: INTJ)

my personality type is ENFJ-T (protagonist, takes action)

the main thing that i learned about myself is that i can be confident in any task when i remember that i am not the center of the world, and i then rely on others to speed up the task.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

i will reply to one or more of my peers within this thread and i will be supportive!

daydreammemories March 11th

@NewYorker11

that's awesome, kudos : )

DanCat1128 January 12th

🐈 Disclosure: I am not the teacher. My mom teaches high school and I grade the papers.

✒️ A) Work you are good at;

🐈 I am great at doing paperwork filing, grading papers, and sorting.

✒️ B) Work that is interesting to you; 

🐈 I love helping people and knowing why we are doing what we are doing.

✒️ C) Work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal

🐈 We grade papers so that kids can learn and apply it to their lives in the future. 

🐈 I am a ESFJ. I am very personable and love being around others. I see myself as a people pleaser. I absolutely love to help wherever or whenever I am needed or wanted. 

🐈 That I may be judgemental if anything I judge myself…..

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

🐈 @Jenna you are amazing!!!! Everyday you show up and no matter how you're feeling you are always supportive!!!

WhereIsRed January 16th

@Hope

ISFP 

I learned about my interests and passion.

ChromaticFinss February 3rd

@WhereIsRed

Happy to hear that this helped you to know more in terms of interests and passion. I hope that this can help you to continue or change your choices as per your personality and happiness. 💛

WhereIsRed January 16th

@Hope

@BlueRivercares - Thank you river for supporting me

@WeEarth - Thank you earth for our kind friendship

WeEarth January 16th

@WhereIsRed

😊💖

wonderousLove3994 January 29th

@HopeINFJ

I learned that I lean sometimes to my feelings rather than my brain

serenePeace3726 January 30th

@wonderousLove3994 did you think the test result fit your personality? I think it's OK to leave with your heart occasionally.🩷

serenePeace3726 January 30th

✒️ What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please (Example: INTJ) I'm an INFPAan assertive mediator.

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself?well I would say this personality tight is spot on for me. I do however come across as an extrovert so I think sometimes people find that especially confusing.I can be the life of the party, but when I get home I have to decompress. And I absolutely love my alone time and need it.

ChromaticFinss February 3rd

My personality type is INTP - T

The thing I learned about me were ,

1 . I'm someone who seeks novelty rather than stability.

2 . I value originality and hidden meanings and distant possibilities

3. I'm a rational person. Even though I'm highly sensitive, I strive to find rationality in my choices .

4. I'm more inclined to calmer environments and I prefer few meaningful connections.

tranquilechoes February 8th

@ChromaticFinss

self awareness. is always helpful 🤍

Snowy00 February 16th

@ChromaticFinss

I love all of this about you! I love that you find hidden meanings within things and that you are rational. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being highly sensitive. 😊 Meaningful connections are so important in life, even just a few!! 💗

Keep being awesomely you Fins!! I think it's important for us to know our strengths and weaknesses because it can help us to grow and to better understand ourselves. I wish you the bestest on your journey of life and understanding who you are. 💗 Love yourself because you are awesome and we are so lucky to have you here at 7Cups!!

Much love,
Kayla 💛✨

ChromaticFinss February 16th

Thank you Kayla ð¥°

@Hope

My personality type is ESTP-A

@Hope

what I learned about my self 

instantaneous observation and action are my strong suites

CaringCompanion22 July 23rd

@tranquilechoe

that's a great reflection! : )

Snowy00 February 16th

@Hope

What is my personality type?

ENFJ-A

What were the main things I learned about myself from the personality test?

Honestly, the personality test was dead on accurate, except for a few things. I was a little shocked to be honest that it was so spot on. I learned my role is a diplomat. Which fits. Normally, I am the peacekeeper or the person who helps others figure out their problems and come to an agreement civilly. I learned my strategy is People Mastery. Which again is true. As far as my traits, this is what I learned:
STRENGTHS: I love helping others grow into their best selves which gives me a deep sense of fulfillment. I love to help people that I care about solve their problems, sometimes at any cost and not always a success. This part is so very true. I can't help myself sometimes and insert myself into other's problems trying to help and sometimes I just make things worse. I stand up for people and what's right even if it means facing down daggers and arrows. Which again is so true. I don't give up on fighting for what's right, even if it costs me my job or anything else. I refuse to participate in things that aren't right and that end up hurting people, not helping. I'm passionate, reliable, receptive, and charismatic. WEAKNESSES: I can be intense. I am overly empathetic. This right here, this is a huge problem and habit that I have. I tend to take on other's issues as my own because I am so empathetic, which can leave me feeling emotionally and mentally exhausted and drained and unable to take care of my own needs. The last thing that I learned which is so true, is that I have this nagging fear that I might not reach my full potential and make the most out of the life that has been given to me.

I will reply to one of my peers after I post this discussion response.

Snowy00 February 16th

Also, I asked a very trusted friend and coworker and she said my top 3 strengths are:

1.) Hardworking

2.) Result-Oriented

3.) Proactive

JustSophia February 20th

@KaylaMaulfair

I love your enthusiasm, Kayla! 

sky2Ocean20 February 26th

@KaylaMaulfair

wao, I had that shock too.. It was indeed an accurate personality test. 

I can see you are a diplomat type. It's good to possess such qualities. People mastery is one of the best people-skill I must agree. I have seen my friends having this type of personality and they are so comfortable to be around. 

WishUponAStar968 February 19th

@Hope

My personality type is ISFJ-T.

I learned or already knew that I am 100% introverted in real life settings, that I am very observant of others of what is happening and what is most likely to happen, I value emotion from others and I express a lot of emotion as well.  I learned I am self-conscious and sensitive to stress. I always feel a sense of urgency in my emotions and tend to be a perfectionistic, and always ready for feedback so I can improve.

WishUponAStar968 February 19th

@WishUponAStar968

@DanCat1128- I realized that we may be judgemental of ourselves because we lean on being a perfectionist or just perhaps hard on ourselves when we are in fact doing our best and trying our best! I see you often and know how supportive you are and my judgement is that you are a sincere and honest person who strives to help!

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@HopeIn response to each of these questions, I will provide my personality type code and the main things I learned about myself. My personality type is ESFP-T. As an Entertainer, I excel in bringing joy and excitement to others through various forms of art and entertainment.

In terms of the main things I learned about myself, I discovered that I am adept at entertaining people through my creative craft. Whether it is through engaging performances, witty jokes, or creative projects, I have the ability to captivate and entertain others. This talent allows me to connect with people in a deep and meaningful way, bringing a sense of joy and laughter into their lives.

In addition to my entertaining abilities, I also learned that I am highly sensitive and compassionate towards others. I have a deep understanding of their emotions and can easily empathize with their experiences. This sensitivity allows me to connect with people on a deeper level, making them feel understood and supported.

Overall, being an Entertainer has taught me the significance of creativity and self-expression. It has also made me realize the importance of empathy and sensitivity in connecting with others. Being an Entertainer has allowed me to bring joy and happiness into people's lives, while also deepening my own understanding of myself and others and I'm so proud of everyone, so I'm sending encouragement to everyone
JustSophia February 20th

What is your personality type? I

nclude your 4 letters please (Example: INTJ): I am having trouble remembering because I went and read so many of the profiles!  lol   INFP

✒️ What were the main things you learned about yourself?  That I tend to relate to whatever I expect or want to see.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

JustSophia February 20th

I tend to keep thinking and always seem to have more to say!  lol  I wish we could edit posts.  

I'm going to respond again to the first question - what is my personality type.  The truth is, I don't know.  

I have taken this test many times in my life - including the original long-form version.  I notice that I've tested as a variety of personality types, and I find that interesting.  I read other type summaries and noted that I do have traits (or think I do) described by many of them.  It made me curious and so I went and learned more about the origin and history of the test, and found the results pretty interesting (which also demonstrates several traits by itself).  Maybe I'm a "mutt". 

I wonder how many people relate to the traits of many "personality types"? 

TheOnlyChresser February 22nd

@JustSophia Sounds like your curious and thats always a good trait to have! Personally because im in the middle of the extraversion scale on many tests so my personality type sometimes changes to extraversion or introversion. So youre not alone with the changing results on personality tests!

TheOnlyChresser February 22nd

My personality type is INTP-A

I already knew I was in the middle on the introvert extrovert spectrum.  I already knew I focus more on patterns (intuition) than senses. I already knew I'm thinking. I did know to some extent the last letter too. Personally I think we should look critical at this personality test since it overlooks emotional stability and its hard to put billions of people into 16 boxes. If I remember correctly there isn't a lot of scientific evidence supporting MBTI either. Therefore I believe something like the big 5 is a lot better.

JustSophia February 26th

@TheOnlyChresser

I couldn't agree more.  Meyers-Briggs is based on the theories of a mother-daughter team from the the first half of the 20th century.  It's not really based on science.  It has its uses, but not as a valid or reliable test of personality type.  

https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/podcast/knowledge-at-wharton-podcast/does-the-myers-briggs-test-really-work/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/myers-briggs#:~:text=The%20results%20combined%20into%20one,has%20relatively%20little%20scientific%20validity.

sky2Ocean20 February 26th

@Hope

--> My personality type is INTJ-T

--> according to the description This personality type people tend to lead towards pursuing their own ideas rather than fulfilling other's expectations. I kind of knew that about myself but after going through the test, It was confirmed.

- all the points made are so true and fit perfectly for me. I was not aware of the confirmation. But Now I do. 

4Jasmine February 27th

@Hope

My personality type is an INFJ.

I learned about myself that I am empathetic, hardworking, a bit introverted and intuitive. 

PetiteSouris February 27th

@Hope @yourbuddy30

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

My personality type is--> INFJ-T

I had taken this test twice before and received the same results. I am aware that I am introverted (97%, when I took it in 2019 it was 96%). I learnt that this personality type is one of the rarest in the world. 

@serenepeace3726 Thank you of being an amazing listener within the 7cups community❣️

-Souris 

lovingAngel2307 March 1st

I’m a meditator