Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

4) Team Lightship: Tweeting Empathy

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

In our introduction, we briefly understood an introduction to how social media-based marketing at 7 Cups uses a project called Team Lightship.

In this discussion, we will understand how the Lightship initiative works in terms of using tweets for spreading awareness, support, as well as 7 Cups content and other service information. We will also learn how the Twitter platform can be used to outreach to people requiring and in search of mental health support, in order to ensure that mental health is not ignored or stigmatized on social media.

(i) Using Tweets to Spread Awareness, Support, and Content/Service Information:

As previously discussed, the goal of Lightship is to use social media to reach out to those in need using kind and empathetic messages.

General tips include:

• What you tweet about should reflect the compassionate, supportive, and kind community that 7 Cups is. Use your best judgment.

• View your Team Lightship account as a force for good, and for spreading the 7 Cups mission and values.

• Feel free to discuss emotions, situations, and topics that often occur on 7 Cups.

• You might also want to post/retweet quotes or pictures, and that’s 100% okay! Just remember that reaching out to people should be a priority. Think of how social media graphics can be used in that sense, to engage people.

• Note: Lightship uses referral links (found on your dashboard page under the list of chats) to direct users to the 7 Cups site.

Tips in regards to which areas or services of 7 Cups you can mention (apart from the general fact about 1:1 or group chats!): Self-Help Guides, Expert Articles, Free Mindfulness Exercises.

Sample Tweets:

Having a tough time? Don't keep it all inside. If you want to talk, we're here to listen 24/7 #7Cups https://www.7cups.com/17156123 #MentalHealthMatters

Need inspiration from people who have overcome Postnatal Depression? Read these stories of women using their recovery to aid others! https://www.7cups.com/experts/postnatal-depression-recovery

(ii) Using Twitter to Outreach People Seeking Support:

The following steps are helpful ways to identify and respond to people seeking support:

1. Search for Keywords

Some keywords or hashtags can prominently help search for people in need of support.

Note: The following and other mental health-related tags on social media platforms can contain potentially triggering content.

• Prominent Tags: need to vent, need a friend, feeling lonely, anxious, and depressed.

• Other Tags Examples:

• #depressed #anxious #depression #mentalhealth (high volume tags)

• #needtotalk

• #bullying

• #chronicpain #chroniclife

• #coping

• #peersupport

• #selfcare

Note: These keywords or hashtags can also be used in your own tweets to help ensure visibility and engagement.

1. Reply to Tweets

After your search for important hashtags and keywords, when you find someone who has tweeted using one of those tags, and looks to be in need of support, reach out to them! Respond to their tweet with a message that includes information about how 7 Cups can support them.

Activity

Using what you learned about the Lightship protocol:

1. Create one general hypothetical tweet that is supportive and compassionate.

2. Respond to this Tweet using the outreaching tips:

3. Reply to one other student’s responses for both (1) and (2) and offer a review about their response: don’t forget to mention strengths as well as improvements they can make!

Please do not forget to personally save your activity answers as well as your reply to another user’s answer (recommended on Google Doc or other means) as you will be asked to share this for your Weekly Progress Report.

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

February 1st, 2021

Create one general hypothetical tweet that is supportive and compassionate.

Are you bottling up any #mentalhealth problem? We are Listeners at 7cups.com to compassionately listen you vent out. #YouMatter

FinleyTews February 2nd, 2021

@Fristo I like that your tweet is concise and to the point. I think some more empathy and using your own referral link would help (very useful if you join the internship on this site and need an amount of clicks on your referral link!). Also, it has a bit of grammar errors "we are listeners to listen (to) you vent(ing) out".

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@Fristo I like the incorporation of the hashtags - you can use grammar checking tools to help with that end.

Happy900 February 13th, 2021

@Fristo Nice Tweet.

IceCream4IceCream April 13th, 2021

@Fristo

Are you bottling up any #mentalhealth problem? We are Listeners at 7cups.com to compassionately listen you vent out. #YouMatter

I like the use of hashtags! Perhaps it would be good to describe some features of 7 cups more: like it's free and anonymous.

kindLemonade July 8th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752
lovely suggestion!

delightfulLynx2725 May 7th, 2023

@IceCream4IceCream

Fun tweet! Good job helping people fee support

Excitingeasting May 26th, 2021

@Fristo

Strenght: Relevant hastags used and a refferel link is provided.

Improvement: Could be more compassionate by adding a few more lines about how the website works.

twilight000 August 4th, 2021

@Fristo

Yours is very simple and concise. You get to the point and are very clear about what you're saying. Nice job :)

Brinaa101 August 7th, 2021

@Fristo

I like how concise your tweet is and how you incorporated general hashtags! Maybe be a bit more empathetic, but it’s a really good tweet overall! Nice job!

Pewley August 14th, 2021

@Fristo
You have done a very creative writing.
Strengths: Creativity
Improvement: Grammatical errors

Damonchandio August 15th, 2021

@Fristo Good one. Don't think it needs improvement

Textingpals September 28th, 2021

@Fristo

@Fristo

Hello! I loved how concise, simple yet powerful your tweet was. Although a few grammatical errors like "we are listeners (to) listen to you vent(ing) out" could have been avoided.

Either way, overall, I liked your tweet.

TrickyRicky October 22nd, 2021

I like the incorperation of hashtags here and a great outreach tweet.

Zahraa000 December 25th, 2021

I like your comment and the analogy you used in asking you do you want to fill your bottle with mental health 💜

It's great.

themerlin May 23rd, 2022

Great things happen to those who don't stop believing, trying, learning, and being grateful.

Be Brave and Take Risks: You need to have faith in yourself. Be brave and take risks. You don't have to have it all figured out to move forward.

Surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams, encourage your ideas, support your ambitions, and bring out the best in you.

We believe in you and I am here to prove that just text and talk discuss your any idea or plans and I will assure you success in the end .

PhoenixTears5972 June 13th, 2022

@Fristo

I really like the the fact that you raised a issue and suggested people to join 7cups for help . Its brief and compac making the people take less time to read it and they can even feel the empathy you tried to provide.

But regarding improvements I think it'll be really great if you could write a few more lines so that the reader may feel the importance of dealing with such issues and understand your empathy more deeply . This will make them feel heard and loved as they'll be happy to know that there's a lot people like you willing to help and reach out . Also you can add a few resources or a variety of scopes for mental health therapy available at 7 cups so that they can form a general idea about it and feel more inclined to reach out to 7cups for help and better mental well being

ThoughtBubbleExpess July 19th, 2022

Love the use of hashtags but needs a little more empathy.

jasishereforallofu August 26th, 2022

@Fristo I love it

creativeTime4251 January 11th

@Fristo Great message! Lots of hashtags included, love it :)

Countrygirl095 March 21st

@Fristo I like that so much

InsightfulPhoenix March 24th

@Fristo

First and for most I would like to take a moment, and just put out some of the strengths that you have within your tweet message. Which are Strength and Straightforward.

I say this because you did not waste any time taking on the message from the person and you sent a resource that would absolutely helpful during such a difficult time. 

The only thing I feel needed more work is to be a bit more engaging and more open to the tweeters emotions!

February 1st, 2021

Respond to the (given) Tweet using the outreaching tips:

I am sorry to hear about the #anxiety . It could feel really tiring and frustrating. We are Volunteer Listeners on 7cups.com to compassionately listen you. Just talking helps, it helps calm down.

@Fristo This response is empathetic and professional. Many people use https://www.grammarly.com/ to check for spelling and grammar errors, just thought it can help wink

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@Fristo good attempt at validating their feelings!

electricWhisper3694 February 21st, 2021

@Fristo

I really liked your tweet and how you managed to identify the person's emotions and help understand them. What I would suggest would be to check your spelling and grammar using an online checker!

greatfulPassion July 30th, 2021

@Fristo
Nicely done, cannot find any issue with it.

@Fristo

I recommend working on your grammar and editing, but your statement is compassionate and empathetic. Nice job :)

@Fristo I recommend working on your grammar and editing, but your statement is compassionate and empathetic. Nice job :)

Brinaa101 August 7th, 2021

@Fristo
This tweet really is really emphatic and addresses their specific concern regarding anxiety and you use relevant, yet specific hashtags pertaining to their tweet. Good job! You can use grammarly.com to check for some errors but it’s overall excellent!

Damonchandio August 15th, 2021

@Fristo Nicely done. you can improve your Grammar

Textingpals September 29th, 2021

@Fristo

Empathetic and precise, good job.

TrickyRicky October 22nd, 2021

Good reply tweet but the #anxiety seems a little misplaced. It's empathetic towards the other person.

ThoughtBubbleExpess July 19th, 2022

@Fristo I like how empathetic it was, evaluating op’s feelings. I would suggest using the Grammarly keyboard extension or Grammarly.com for minor grammatical errors.

creativeTime4251 January 11th

@Fristo It was empathetic and easy to read, however, it contains some grammar errors, overall nice work :)

InsightfulPhoenix March 24th

@Fristo, This outreach was very responsive and super professional. I absolutely love that about you. You are direct and to the point. Which is something that we could all learn from! 

FinleyTews February 1st, 2021

1. Create one general hypothetical tweet that is supportive and compassionate.

Each one of us is going through their own battles in life, and with the pandemic creating so many changes, it can be hard not to feel isolated and helpless. 7 Cups is a free peer-to-peer community with volunteer listeners ready to lend you an ear and a shoulder: 7cups/14647760 #mentalhealth #mentalhealthmatters

2. Respond to this Tweet using the outreaching tips:

It certainly is frustrating to see others risk spreading Covid, I'm sorry that this has set off your anxiety. If you'd like to talk about it, 7 Cups is a free peer-to-peer community with volunteer listeners ready to lend you an ear and a shoulder: 7cups/14647760 Hope this helps.

blissart February 1st, 2021

@FinleyTews

I like how u related the need for emotional support esp during times of pandemic

and ur response is empathetic, validating

i like both responses much , may be adding a few resources would help

SynSavory February 2nd, 2021

@FinleyTews

Hi FinleyTews,

I think these are great examples. For the first one, I can tell that you really believed in what you said.

Improvements: I have the Grammarly application enabled and it's flagging your use of "their" in the first post into "our".....so maybe that might be something to consider. Haha.

Strengths: I liked that you emphasized the peer to peer aspect.

@SynSavory @blissart Thank you both for your feedback! As for the "our" vs "their" part, I guess "our" is more correct, I posted this a bit hastily haha