Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

4) Team Lightship: Tweeting Empathy

SoulfullyAButterfly January 31st, 2021

In our introduction, we briefly understood an introduction to how social media-based marketing at 7 Cups uses a project called Team Lightship.

In this discussion, we will understand how the Lightship initiative works in terms of using tweets for spreading awareness, support, as well as 7 Cups content and other service information. We will also learn how the Twitter platform can be used to outreach to people requiring and in search of mental health support, in order to ensure that mental health is not ignored or stigmatized on social media.

(i) Using Tweets to Spread Awareness, Support, and Content/Service Information:

As previously discussed, the goal of Lightship is to use social media to reach out to those in need using kind and empathetic messages.

General tips include:

• What you tweet about should reflect the compassionate, supportive, and kind community that 7 Cups is. Use your best judgment.

• View your Team Lightship account as a force for good, and for spreading the 7 Cups mission and values.

• Feel free to discuss emotions, situations, and topics that often occur on 7 Cups.

• You might also want to post/retweet quotes or pictures, and that’s 100% okay! Just remember that reaching out to people should be a priority. Think of how social media graphics can be used in that sense, to engage people.

• Note: Lightship uses referral links (found on your dashboard page under the list of chats) to direct users to the 7 Cups site.

Tips in regards to which areas or services of 7 Cups you can mention (apart from the general fact about 1:1 or group chats!): Self-Help Guides, Expert Articles, Free Mindfulness Exercises.

Sample Tweets:

Having a tough time? Don't keep it all inside. If you want to talk, we're here to listen 24/7 #7Cups https://www.7cups.com/17156123 #MentalHealthMatters

Need inspiration from people who have overcome Postnatal Depression? Read these stories of women using their recovery to aid others! https://www.7cups.com/experts/postnatal-depression-recovery

(ii) Using Twitter to Outreach People Seeking Support:

The following steps are helpful ways to identify and respond to people seeking support:

1. Search for Keywords

Some keywords or hashtags can prominently help search for people in need of support.

Note: The following and other mental health-related tags on social media platforms can contain potentially triggering content.

• Prominent Tags: need to vent, need a friend, feeling lonely, anxious, and depressed.

• Other Tags Examples:

• #depressed #anxious #depression #mentalhealth (high volume tags)

• #needtotalk

• #bullying

• #chronicpain #chroniclife

• #coping

• #peersupport

• #selfcare

Note: These keywords or hashtags can also be used in your own tweets to help ensure visibility and engagement.

1. Reply to Tweets

After your search for important hashtags and keywords, when you find someone who has tweeted using one of those tags, and looks to be in need of support, reach out to them! Respond to their tweet with a message that includes information about how 7 Cups can support them.

Activity

Using what you learned about the Lightship protocol:

1. Create one general hypothetical tweet that is supportive and compassionate.

2. Respond to this Tweet using the outreaching tips:

3. Reply to one other student’s responses for both (1) and (2) and offer a review about their response: don’t forget to mention strengths as well as improvements they can make!

Please do not forget to personally save your activity answers as well as your reply to another user’s answer (recommended on Google Doc or other means) as you will be asked to share this for your Weekly Progress Report.

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@FinleyTews great take for both questions! very straightforward and yet conveying everything with a balance of empathy and facts for outreaching

CaringBrit February 18th, 2021

@FinleyTews

1. strengths are empathetic supportive and on point improve maybe a hashtag ?

2. same as above

QuietLotus March 3rd, 2021

@FinleyTews

I like how the opening statement is something everyone can relate to and feel validated by. You then go on to offer a potential solution which is important. Good use of hashtags! Perhaps you could include a link that takes you directly to the 7cups site without needing to Google it first.

2. Respond to this Tweet using the outreaching tips

I enjoy seeing how you make the person feel so heard. You also do a great job of succinctly conveying exactly what 7cups can do for them. Good job! Maybe you could consider adding some hashtags so more people can find what you wrote.

KristinHelps March 9th, 2021

@FinleyTews I really love your first tweet, it makes you feel heard and supported. It was a great way to bring someone in to try out the community. Tagging mental health works really well being on the Team Lightship.

I also like your response tweet as this gives an understanding to the tweet and does not feel pressured to join the community.

Great tweets, overall!

KatherrinneP March 15th, 2021

@FinleyTews

Wow! I really like how your first tweet made me feel like I am understood, also it's very nice that you used hashtags! Well done! You were very lovely and empathic!

mvpeng March 21st, 2021

@FinleyTews I think you did a great job! I think my only suggestion would to have a more warm and comforting ending to your second tweet.

IceCream4IceCream April 13th, 2021

@FinleyTews

Each one of us is going through their own battles in life, and with the pandemic creating so many changes, it can be hard not to feel isolated and helpless. 7 Cups is a free peer-to-peer community with volunteer listeners ready to lend you an ear and a shoulder: 7cups/14647760 #mentalhealth #mentalhealthmatters

I like that you added some context by emphasising the impact of the pandemic.

It certainly is frustrating to see others risk spreading Covid, I'm sorry that this has set off your anxiety. If you'd like to talk about it, 7 Cups is a free peer-to-peer community with volunteer listeners ready to lend you an ear and a shoulder: 7cups/14647760 Hope this helps.

Maybe use some hashtags in your sentence to reach more people apart from the person you're responding to.

Clarezg August 29th, 2023

@IceCream4IceCream

my tweet:

It can be hard talking about #mentalhealth and #struggles to people in your life sometimes but that doesn’t mean you have to be alone. Join 7cups to find listeners, therapists, and communities for all different types of communities!

my response to the example tweet:

I hear you the whole #covid situation is really #anxiety inducing especially with people that can’t social distance. I understand it can so #frustrating. Feel free to come to 7cups if you would like people to talk to, we have large communities and great listeners!

Excitingeasting May 26th, 2021

@FinleyTews

For the second one:

Strengths: Compassionate and very logical, sums up the motive really well with relevant emotions mentioned.

Improvement: More hashtags can be added with a refferal link.

giggleBubbles6722 June 17th, 2021

@FinleyTews

Well written. Concise and empathetic and relatable.

Good and validating. However, "hope this helps" might be triggering because if the person doesn't find something helpful they might feel like they are beyond help.

greatfulPassion August 8th, 2021

@FinleyTews
I really like the way you promoted the 7cups as a free platform so that anyone can join in without hesitation.

GingerMC December 27th, 2021

I love how both of your posts are clear and concise and empathetic within such short posts.

In your first post I like how you point out a pretty universal state that everyone goes through in life. I also like your us of hashtags. In your second post you managed to be quite empathetic within such a quick post.

BlueCup55 April 17th, 2022

@FinleyTews

Your tweet provides support and is very comforting. Well done! Improvement: you can include more hashtags.

plushMermaid2855 May 23rd, 2022

@FinleyTews

Helps people to not feel alone with their struggles

Possible the # could be used better

PhoenixTears5972 June 13th, 2022

@FinleyTews

I really love the way you expressed your point here . The way you showed empathy and hope is really wonderful and very encouraging indeed

PhoenixTears5972 June 13th, 2022

@FinleyTews

Regarding improvements I think it'll be great if you can add a few more resources or ideas about the various scopes of mental health therapy tha are available at 7 cups so that the person can form a general idea and feel more inclined to approah for help from the app/site.

Gargi07 July 22nd

@FinleyTews I think overall it's good adding a little more words would be good but I love it

blissart February 1st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Create one general hypothetical tweet that is supportive and compassionate.

Sometimes relationships become a source of constant stress and it can be very confusing and messy with mixed thoughts. Lets talk it out in a free, safe, non judgemental , confidential and anonymous space www.7cups.com #emotionalsupport #relationships #relationshipstress #wellbeing

WendinCaring February 1st, 2021

@blissart

The post is well-written and professional.
Adding a scenario or a couple of questions may help attract more eyeballs.

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 12th, 2021

@blissart very well-written with that brief description of common feelings and great use of hashtags too

Happy900 February 13th, 2021

@blissart Well done.

azureOwl6812 February 20th, 2021

@blissart I liked how you included the person by saying the word " let's " ,making them feel they are part of a team! Also you included the required resources. One small suggestion would be to check the word spacings. Otherwise, it is nice.

AnisiaCocanMA March 12th, 2021

@blissart

Very friendly and imactul for all age categories !

KatherrinneP March 15th, 2021

@blissart

If I would have seen this tweet some years ago when I was struggling with this problem, everything was easier. Very very nice! Well done! <3

blindHeart12 June 4th, 2021

@blissart

I love how you use various tags related to 7cups and a very simple and to the point message it was.

blissart February 1st, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Respond to the (given) Tweet using the outreaching tips:

That can be hard when people dont take precautions and put us in danger. Covid has certainly put before us unexpected challenges with rising anxiety levels. Feel free to reach out to peers at 7cups.com to talk it out and make best use of self help guide https://www.7cups.com/anxiety-help/ .#anxiety #covid

@blissart

The reply is very personal and empathetic.
Since you have already shared the anxiety self-help guide, it may as well add #selfcare #mentalhealth

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 12th, 2021

@blissart great use of validation and good thinking to use the self-help guide

azureOwl6812 February 19th, 2021

@blissart

Hi Blissart!

Your response was empathetic and reassuring. It also provided the required resources a person facing anxiety could use. Just one tiny suggestion would be to use a grammar checking tool to remove any possible mistakes here and there :)

SassyClassyBrunette February 19th, 2021

@blissart

I like how your tweet is very empathetic and the way you used the hashtags! Great job!

AnisiaCocanMA March 12th, 2021

@blissart

Using same words (as i learned during this course) shows a lot of empathy so this is great ! You sure look like you do care for others !

blindHeart12 June 4th, 2021

@blissart

Wow, you validate the emotions, reflect it and along with it nicely you put up the tweet to reach 7cups.

resourcefulLemon3237 June 13th, 2022

Your tweet connects with the user easily and uses an empathetic and friendly tone which I believe is a must when talking to a person going through trouble.

I think you can add hashtags like #selfhelp or #selfcare since you've provided a link to the 7Cups self help guide.

However, I really like the tone and language of your tweet.

In need to a casual chat to feel connected and heard, feel free to drop by #7Cups 24/7. https://www.7cups.com/19210123 #MentalHealthMatters #peersupport #selfcare #lonelessnness #anxiety #connection #dailycheckin

It's a tried time for all of us. Please continue taking good care of your physical health and mental health. In case you need self-care tips, come visit us. https://www.7cups.com/19210123 Feel free to talk things through with one of our well-trained and dedicated volunteers via the anonymous 1-on-1 chat .

SoulfullyAButterfly OP February 13th, 2021

@WendinCaring I like your idea for (1) - it has a great delivery at the start but in terms of grammar we could restructure to "In need of a casual chat to feel connected or heard?" One tip is to also consider using up to 2-3 hashtags - your choices would be perfect for Facebook which could be more comprehensive with hashtags.

(2) Awesome supportive reply - do you mean "tired" instead of tried? if so I would recommend a quick proofreadd

WendinCaring February 14th, 2021

@SoulfullyAButterfly

It should be "a trying time", I figure.

followup March 21st, 2021

@WendinCaring

First task. I think your message is supportive and your hashtags brings awareness.

Second. You maybe connecting more also like your show of compassion and you talked well of what to expect from 7 cups.

optimisticDay8079 March 29th, 2021

@WendinCaring

great answers to both

one improvement i would make is a more personalised tweet in the first answer

optimisticMoment4139 December 19th, 2021

1. i like the hashtags

2. good work

resourcefulLemon3237 June 13th, 2022

I really like the way you've presented your reply to (1). It is crisp and clear and presents the motive of 7Cups clearly.