Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

2) Community Questions and Answers - The Basis of Mental Health Awareness and Support

SoulfullyAButterfly January 24th, 2021

As previously introduced, the Questions and Answers Pages at 7 Cups offer a wide range of quality based answers to common mental health questions

Questions and Answers are available for 38 main categories, ranging from General Mental Health, Disabilities, Managing Emotions, Loneliness, Grief, Recovery, Student Life, Work Stress, and many more!

Through this directory of available knowledge, awareness, and support, 7 Cups is equipped with answers to the common questions and concerns people have. Most of these Questions and Answers are featured in search engine results due to the value of the content they contain.

The main community Questions and Answers Page offers a recent questions section as well as a section containing the most answered questions.

All 7 Cups users are invited to search for or ask new questions through the main page. Community users can also participate in this area by submitting their answers, which are reviewed by a team for quality and other important requirements.

Through this discussion, we will discuss the basic requirements needed to research as well as write quality answers for the Question and Answer Pages. Additionally, we will optimize the drafted answers in light of certain guidelines.

(i) Basic Research and Writing Requirements: When writing answers to community questions, keep in mind these tips:

• You need to write a minimum of 150 characters and 100 words.

• If research is needed to guide your answer, consider only learning about the topic and avoid direct copy/pasting researched tips, advice, or information.

• Consider verifying the information or facts through at least 2 reliable sources.

• When researching possible answers or things the person can benefit from, consider their circumstances and if the tip is do-able and generally applicable.

• Avoid plagiarism.

• Use professional and appropriate language.

• If comfortable, you can add a personal anecdote to help add meaning to your answer. However, avoid turning the answer to just your account or an entire focus on your experience.

• Be empathetic, and consider using active listening skills to help not only answer their question but their feelings - this adds connection and meaning to your answer, as well as identifies understanding, which can lead to trust.

• Answers should be related to the question and must contain tips or approaches to help deal with the question/situation instead of vague responses, even if positive.

• 7 Cups is based on avoiding direct advice, this is because we do not know the complete scenario or situation a person may be facing. Keeping that in mind, avoid giving answers that provide one possible “solution” - a good tip is to consider encompassing all possible outcomes or more than one thing the person can try.

(ii) Ensuring Optimized Answers: Although the above requirements and tips help deliver a great answer, further optimization of drafted answers can help ensure their quality.

At 7 Cups, the Content Team uses researched and identified important keywords to guide their research and the writing process to result in optimized content as answers to community questions. In this regard, the basic tips/requirements involved are:

• Ensure answers have at least 8 to 10 sentences.

• Ensure the usage/incorporation of the maximum number or all of the provided keywords that can relate to the topic.

What are Keywords?

Generally, keywords can be thought of as terms or phrases that describe a piece of content. Related keywords are supporting keywords that can help further describe or expand on that initial content. For example, for the keyword “anxiety”, related keywords can be “anxiety symptoms” or “anxiety treatments”.

Keywords help with search engine marketing and hence are an important part of SEO strategies. A simple strategy to find keywords is to look for Google Related Searches. These related searches are searches that relate to your term. For instance, a Google Related Search for “anxiety symptoms” is “what is anxiety” - using this insight, you can consider including this phrase alongside a brief category of your content outline to help strengthen the optimization of your content.

For other free tools to help with keyword research, you can visit this external link.

Activity

Review this Sample Optimized Answer:

Question: How do paper bags help with panic attacks?

Provided Keywords: asthma attack, heart attacks, asthma, problems, brown paper bag, medical conditions, hyperventilation syndrome, mouth, respiratory alkalosis, common causes, chest pain, benefit, stress, medications

Approved, Optimized Answer:

While panic attacks might mimic the symptoms of heart attacks, they can be caused by several other problems and medical conditions. These include feeling stressed or facing medical conditions such as asthma attacks, hyperventilation syndrome, or even respiratory alkalosis. Although the common causes may differ, common symptoms include chest pain. Deep breathing through the mouth or by using a brown paper bag has its benefits, as it aids in the restoration of the loss of carbon dioxide in the blood during the panic attack.

Notes: The question was general, requiring general research-based knowledge on the process of using paper bags for panic attacks. As the keywords were essentially covered, note that this answer does not have 8-10 sentences, but further supporting information or even a personal anecdote can be added.

The following activity will help you put your attained knowledge to practice. Please write an optimized answer to the following community question, in light of the provided keywords. In addition, you are required to reply to at least one other student’s answer by identifying at least 3 strengths (things done correctly as per discussed guidelines) as well as at least 1 tip for improving the answer.

Note: You are welcome to click the question link and submit your written answer for community publication once done as this is an existing question!

Please do not forget to personally save your activity answers as well as your reply to another user’s answer (recommended on Google Doc or other means) as you will be asked to share this for your Weekly Progress Report.

Question: What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

Provided Keywords: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Bonus: Want to put your knowledge to test? Consider joining the Question and Answer (Q&A) Approval Team here and earn cheers for helping approve community answer submissions. You will be using the above knowledge as well as reminders on what makes a good answer. For more information, click here

-

This post is brought to you by the Content Development and Marketing Program, find out more information about the program here

TwoCreamTwoSugar November 28th, 2022

Provided Keywords: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Answer: Sometimes there’s not much of a worse feeling than that of not feeling good enough for the partner you love. Unfortunately, many people experience this issue with self-esteem and self-confidence in their relationship from time to time and it is critical to find healthy ways of overcoming these thoughts. Sometimes, these thoughts come from our own poor self-image, driven by a myriad of factors that may not directly be the result of how we are treated by our family members. Other times, we may have the misfortune of being in an abusive relationship, whether it be physical or emotional abuse, thereby reinforcing our thoughts of feeling like a failure. The latter is not indicative of a healthy relationship and it’s important to reach out for help when we find ourselves in that situation.

Whether we have this feeling of not being good enough due to this type of abusive or manipulative relationship or whether it be from somewhere within, these thoughts can lead to persistent anxiety and even depression.

For people experiencing not feeling good enough and can find it in them to want to feel better (e.g.: not self-sabotaging), it is important to speak honestly to our partners and others in our lives about how we feel. Opening communication to those we love can share our sides of the story about why we feel the way we do and hopefully allow our loved ones to not only understand why we feel not good enough, but to also work towards reassuring us of our value and the ultimate goal of healing. Of course, the healthy way of doing this is to do so in a constructive manner, open to feedback, and neither party pointing fingers.

Additionally, it is absolutely vital to understand how impactful our words can be. Consistent negative reinforcement toward someone already feeling not good enough can be continually keeping them in this state. As the person feeling not good enough, we should ask the other person to choose their words more carefully and to rephrase things toward being more constructive and less leaning toward the negative. As the partner or loved one on the other end, we must be receptive to the need for change in how we speak as to promote healing and understanding between both parties.

Lastly, it may be beneficial to engage in therapy—not only for the one feeling not good enough, but also potentially inviting our partner/loved one along to discuss in this safe environment as well. Having a skilled mediator and translator for our feelings can help us in our goal to heal and to get back to feeling on an equal ground with our loved ones and finally to rid ourselves of our negative self-talk. At the end of the day, all of us should realize we absolutely are good enough and are perfectly equal and worthy of love, support, and attention.

TwoCreamTwoSugar November 28th, 2022

@TwoCreamTwoSugar

7 Cups won't let me post my references to Better Help and Psychology Today! Why!?

SunshineNaina December 19th, 2022

@TwoCreamTwoSugar

The three strengths of the answer are that it is professional and uses appropriate language, have utilized quite a number of the provided keywords, and avoids directly giving advice. One tip for improving the answer would be that the answer is a bit long and at certain points, digresses a little. So, the answer can be a little concise.

SunshineNaina December 19th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

It must be really hard to constantly have thoughts around it and feel that you are not good enough for someone. I am glad that you have taken this first step towards identifying and working towards how you have been feeling. There might be a number of things that might be resulting in this, ranging from the self-doubt we have to a reflection of the self-confidence and self-esteem we have. At times, we have this inner critic that greatly affects us in a negative way due to all the negative self-talks that we subject ourselves to. I hope you will be able to work on identifying the real reason because of which you feel this. For a healthy relationship, it is really important to communicate how you have been feeling, indulge in self-love and care, know your worth and that might be helpful. It might also be helpful to reaffirm yourself while thinking about the good times and perhaps taking support from your family members. If you think that how you are feeling is greatly affecting your relations, then you might want to consider seeking therapy and going to a professional. At the end of the day, remind yourself that you are an amazing person and you’ll be able to work through this. You have got this!

empatheticpie December 20th, 2022

@SunshineNaina
If I could offer one tip on improvement, it would be to include more SEO keywords, most especially those of parents, children, partners, and family members to get your post a bigger reach. For your three strengths, I like how you largely focus on the positive and the goal of achieving a better outcome. I think your example post is highly empathetic and hopeful, which is very important especially about a topic like this one. Finally, your response felt very down to earth rather than clinical, which can be comforting for those searching for help and affirmation. Great job!

broadfemmelovelive January 3rd, 2023

Dear @SunshineNaina, thank you for this wonderful answer to the question: What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

I thought your empathy and professionalism in the post showed the reader that they weren't alone. Along with these two strengths you avoided giving direct advice but gave lots of options/ suggestions of where the reader could go from here.

If I had to give one tip it would be to organize the content into easy-to-read short paragraphs. But that is just my preference and each reader/ writer has their own.

I liked your use of the keywords as well and was personally motivated by this answer. 🤗

empatheticpie December 19th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly
Sometimes we might feel like we’re not good enough for the people around us, whether that be our parents, children, our partner, or other family members in our lives. One reason we might feel this way, could be social media. Social media may negatively impact our self-worth by amplifying our inner critic and supporting negative self-talk and self-doubt. The good news is that it can also help. Through social media, you can find resources for therapy or other forms of self-improvement to become a better person than you already were. Using these resources will allow you to regain the self-confidence you deserve by helping you realize you are an amazing person with a voice that deserves to be heard for your whole life. You can also discover how to have healthy relationships by learning great things like better communication and other information on a healthy lifestyle and social life. At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that we are all human beings, and we are all capable of improvement with the right resources.

amybrit10 December 20th, 2022

@empatheticpie

This is great! I would say as your first strength, I love the opening sentence as it's a more general statement that may help them feel as though this is a common experience. The inclusion of the keywords is great, and I appreciate your encouragement of using accessible resources to help. The only weakness I would say is that you didn't share a similar experience as that could make the listener feel less alone (depending on the question of course). Really great job!

amybrit10 December 20th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

This is a difficult feeling to interpret and understand. It can feel like a heavy weight on your shoulders, especially when it involves a loved one. A healthy relationship involves honesty and vulnerability, and above all, a foundation of love and support from your partner. Sometimes our inner critic and self-doubt can cause us to spiral into negative self-talk, which can feel very overpowering. When I was in a similar situation I communicated this to my partner and focused on building my self-love and self-confidence. At the end of the day, an individual may be an amazing person but not the right person for someone. Good luck!

Vivikun9 January 2nd, 2023

@amybrit10

I love what you wrote. a great way of using a healthy relationship and how it connects to vulnerability. I also like how you explained how inner criticism and self-doubt lead to a spiral. I even love how you used your personal experience as a way to teach about how this feeling affects everyone. The one thing I seem to notice is that it focused on being with a partner aspect than say with friends, family members, etc. I think adding more that this feeling affects other relationships will make it stronger but overall this is a good answer.

This feeling of self-doubt is not an easy answer as most people want to believe. We feel this way when growing up from childhood to adulthood. There are many ways for the inner critic voice can go away over time is with help from therapy, supportive family members, friends, and support groups. It may be easy to voice negative self-talk but, the first step (which is not the easiest) is knowing you are an amazing person and deserve great things in life has to offer. Self-love will win at the end of the day.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

InvaderStitch January 2nd, 2023

@Vivikun9

@Vivikun9

Strengths:

1. Your conciseness in usage of keywords. You were able to incorporate a few words that I had a hard time figuring out how to include and I thought it was great the way you included them!

2. with help from therapy, supportive family members, friends, and support groups” is a strong statement providing resources, I didn’t think of support groups, but those are definitely helpful!

3. You did a great job of avoiding direct advice which can be hard to do at times.

Thought for improvement:

While the answer you provided is consistent with research, including a researcher’s name or resource where you found information. People look at credentials that information comes from a lot of the time in determining if it’s reliable. It also wasn’t quite the 8-10 sentences as recommended, so you had room to add a bit more information or keywords.

I do think the way you presented the information was great and liked the conciseness because I felt like my answer was long winded and wordy trying to make sure I included as many keywords as possible, and so I really appreciate that in your writing.

@InvaderStitch

Ah thank you for the feed back ^^ I will kep that in mind. Idk what else to write in without feeling I will just keeping going without a answer. But I should try to use research knowledge into future writings. Just testing the waters ^^

InvaderStitch January 3rd, 2023

@Vivikun9

For testing waters you did great and I can't wait to see what other content you bring to 7cups!

InvaderStitch January 2nd, 2023

My answer to: What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

Sometimes we feel like we are not good enough for others including parents, other family members, and/or a partner. Just because we feel this way does not mean it is true. The feeling of not being good enough often comes from reduced self-esteem and self-worth that can be influenced by social media and other people. Some of the common symptoms of not feeling “good enough” include self-doubt, negative self-talk, lack of self-confidence, and an overly-harsh inner critic.

According to Kristen Neff, a researcher who focuses on self-compassion, the best way to not be consumed by no feeling like you are good enough for others starts within, with self-compassion. A lot of times our self-worth is determined by self-esteem. While having self-esteem is important, self-esteem is built by external sources letting us know if we’re doing a good job or living up to standards. Instead of looking for the external validation of being good enough, we can look inward and realize that we’re all human, and all humans deserve compassion. Many times, those of us who struggle with our own self-worth are a lot more critical of ourselves than we would be of others.

One question I’ve been asked over and over again in therapy is: would you ever tell a friend or family member they’re not good enough? No? Then why would you say that to yourself?

After years of hearing this question and repeating it to myself every time I catch myself being overly critical I have gotten to the point of recognizing that the feeling of not being good enough comes from within. I’ve also learned to realize the humaness in myself and embrace it, giving myself grace and compassion when I make mistakes.

It would be great if the rest of the world gave us the same grace and compassion that we are expected to give ourselves, unfortunately though that’s not always reality.

Many times we go our whole lives thinking that our worth is based on other people’s assessments and evaluations of us, but once we realize that those assessments and evaluations are more of a reflection of the other person than they are of us, it becomes a lot easier to practice self-compassion.

I’m not going to say self-compassion is easy, but with practice it does become second nature over time. When you start treating yourself with compassion, you may also start to feel like a better person all together because not only will you be more compassionate to yourself, but may find it easier to be compassionate for others you may not have had patience with before. Self-love is a game changer, we’re all human beings and we all deserve love, especially self-love.

So, how do you start working on self-compassion?

First step is to recognize and acknowledge that you are a human being, just like everyone else, and that as a human being, you deserve compassion, just like everyone else. Once you are able to recognize that you deserve compassion, you can work on forgiving yourself for common, easy to make mistakes. After you master self-forgiveness on that level, it becomes easier to forgive yourself for things that are bigger than the mundane mistakes of everyday life. No human being is perfect all that time, and that means mistakes happen, it’s okay, it’s part of life.

Another step in developing self-compassion is challenging that voice that tells you that you’re not good enough. Many people do this with affirmations. There are thousands of affirmations online that you could find in a google search, but the important thing is finding the affirmations that work best for you. In my work in therapy, I’ve found that in order for an affirmation to feel “right” it needs to be believable, so if you feel like you’re not good enough, simply repeating “I am good enough” may feel inauthentic, if it does that’s okay, adjust it to something along the lines of “I am a good person, I make mistakes, and that does not take away from my worth as an amazing human being,” or “I’m doing the best I can, and if my best doesn’t give me the results I want, I will learn from my mistakes so that I don’t make the same mistakes next time” or whatever wording works for you. For me, I had a lot of longer affirmations at first like that, now “I deserve to be loved”, “I deserve to be treated with kindness”, and “I’m a good person” are short things I can say to myself to get through the difficult moments when that feeling of not being “good enough” for others creeps in again.

Working on self-compassion, self-esteem, and self-worth is also extremely effective with a therapist, in fact, it’s like they’re trained to help people find their value and worth, though I know therapy isn’t an option for everyone. If therapy isn’t something you can afford or is not an option for you, seeking healthy relationships with others who demonstrate self-compassion to themselves, along with compassion to others (especially you) can be extremely helpful also. It allows you to see that self-compassion is real, and that you deserve compassion not only from yourself, but from others as well.

At the end of the day, we can’t force others to be compassionate to us, we can’t force others to be kind, but what we can do is be our best selves, be kind to ourselves, and not tolerate lack of kindness and compassion from others. We can’t make everyone happy, and unfortunately it’s the people we want to make proud the most that often make us feel like we’re never good enough, but once you learn to be compassionate to yourself, and give yourself grace, and love yourself, you won’t need the external validation of being “good enough” for others as much because you’ll be able to feel it in your bones.

I hope this helps. If you want to find out more information about self-compassion you can look up Kristen Neff, she has a wonderful TedTalk on Youtube as well as her own website with more content.

I feel like my answer is quite long, but I tried to include all of the components of a good answer and as many keywords as possible.

Vivikun9 January 3rd, 2023

@InvaderStitch

Strengths:

1: your opening is great. Using the keywords and explaining how social media and other influences affect our self-worth. You also talked about how family members, parents, and partners have a part of self-worth as well.

2: Bringing up a researcher, Kristen Neff, was a great way to share a resource! I did not think about a researcher in mind when answering a question but it can help give the person who asked a question to look up some to see what they have to say. great idea!

3: I loved how you talk about "how to start working on self-compassion" I think is important to add as it gives the reader some ideas on what ideas to try. bringing up therapy is a great way to let someone know that there are professionals who are able to help with self-compassion and self-esteem.

Thought for improvement:

I'm glad you pointed out that it is long like this was like from an article. It was definitely a read and I'm not sure if anyone can be able to keep reading the whole thing. What you could do is underline the next sentence that talks about "how to do..." and/or bolding the keywords can help the reader know what subject they are going into or what the topic is leaning towards.

Overall, I enjoyed your answer and it was a great addition to add research into an answer. Clever idea :3

InvaderStitch January 3rd, 2023

@Vivikun9

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely thought about bolding keywords, but not until after I posted it. Also, your response made me realize that maybe doing subheadings for the different components of my answer could help with the readability. Not sure which other subheadings, but definitely could have put a subheading for "How to start practicing self-compassion" the subheadings would break it up and make it easier to read (and to be honest, sometimes I skim and go to the relevant subheading for what I'm looking for).

Thanks!

broadfemmelovelive January 3rd, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

What to do when you feel you are not good enough for someone?

Answer:

A healthy relationship between two human beings that came together to become a family can bring great things to both partners. If you are struggling to feel self-worth this inner critic can cause self-doubt in yourself, your partner and your relationship. The good news is that you have awareness of this negative self-talk which is the first step in your path toward self-love.

After awareness, the second step is communication with a trusted family member such as your parents, friend, partner and/or therapist. Who you voice this information with is up to you and who you feel most comfortable with. 7 Cups provides 1:1 chats, forums and group chat discussions that are anonymous and supportive if you feel like you need a smaller stepping stone towards discussing it with your loved ones. When I'm overwhelmed with feelings of self-doubt I know that communicating my feelings and needs has to be a goal in itself.

After communicating your struggles to some of your trusted supporters, generating goals to define your path toward self-love is the next step. You may have even found other goals you have such as deeper intimacy with your partner, or more comfortable communication surrounding mental health. I like to use my supportive listeners on 7 Cups to help brainstorm what my best steps toward my goal look like.

One method for defining these goals is SMART goal design. SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, timely or time-bound) goals can help with our whole life and at the end of the day can hold us accountable.

Finally, know you are doing your best and trust that you are a good person. It's hard to reach out to therapy and it's perfectly normal for us human beings to resist change so I commend you for your efforts toward researching and reaching out. You're not alone 🤗

The following links helped me generate this answer and may be helpful for your further information:

https://www.7cups.com/experts/article/3-tips-to-accomplish-your-short-and-long-term-goals

https://www.7cups.com/experts/self-esteem/

https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/professionals/sites/professionals/files/resources/smart-goal-setting-guidelines.pdf

blueAngel00 January 13th, 2023

@broadfemmelovelive

Strengths:
  1. You were very understanding and sympathetic, and I really liked how you related challenges you’d faced when attempting the same methods you suggested in your reply.
  2. You made a point to let the questioner know you haven’t judged them. The technique you used, reassuring the person none of us are perfect and that it's okay and perfectly normal that we aren’t, would most likely be extremely comforting, particularly to someone who’s feeling unworthy. You're opening and closing were quite empathetic, and your adding links which may offer additional help was insightful.
  3. You were very clear in how your suggestions would help, why the reader should try them, and how to approach them, as well as your doing a good job incorporating keywords.

My tip for you to improve your answer would be that it was more of a method, having steps rather than different ideas/suggestions. And because there was only really one result offered, the guidelines stated to have various techniques to try:
"...avoid giving answers that provide one possible “solution” - a good tip is to consider encompassing all possible outcomes or more than one thing the person can try."
I might have recognized this because I started to do the same thing.
To summarize, I think you were informative, empathetic, sympathetic, concise, and had good suggestions while including how to approach them. Fantastic job!
🐻

The following is a post script:
I'm adding this because I'd like feedback from people on if I'm not being reasonable. Thanks.

@broadfemmelovelive
I do feel you went a little sideways and off topic when assuming the reader had more goals than just how to cope with feeling not good enough for someone. I also noticed a lot of people assumed the questioner was referring to a spouse/partner, but I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe that assumption is what led you to make the assumption of additional goals? But the suggestions towards that end, while they may not be applicable at this point in time, were very informative and helpful with other issues maybe?

broadfemmelovelive January 13th, 2023

@blueAngel00

Thank you so much for your detailed and thorough feedback. I really liked your suggestion and think it's very fair. I really appreciate your kind and helpful tone, it was very relaxing reading your feedback and I felt inspired to improve.

Jish07541 January 5th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Answer: The feeling that we aren't good enough for someone can arise at least a few times in each one of our lives. The feeling might have been provoked by some extenal incidents like rash comments from partner, parents or other loved ones. With or without such external circumstances, our self-esteem might get affected in a negative way, leading us to feel inferior and not deserving of someone we love in our life. None of us can avoid the situations leading to this feeling throughout our life, but we can always deal with our feelings in a productive and logical way when such circumstaces arise. The best way to handle our feelings in this scenerio is to take a step back and observe the situation without the presence of an inner critic. Then we will be able to realise that the real reason for feeling this way is the unconcious negative self talk that has been going inside our mind which has led to a feeling of low self worth. Once we recognize the probem, we can regain our self confidence and do the right thing, which is to keep a healthy relationship with loved ones with well defined boundaries and communicating openly about our feelings regarding the remarks they made. And once a person is able to continue this habit their whole life then they will be able to become that amazing person, they have always been striving to become. At the end of the day, if we can self love even in these difficult situations we have found the secret of joy as human beings. Thus, good luck to everyone out there struggling with self doubt, learn to take a step back and love yourself.

CaringEzra January 10th, 2023

Hey friend, I understand you are feeling you are not enough in your relationship, and I know that it's draining when you feel unworthy and inadequate about yourself. It can make you feel isolated and afraid that those around you may leave, but trust me; numerous people, including myself, have also felt this way. I want you to know that you are not alone. I hope you will soon realize that *you* are enough and that no other person can define you. Often the real reason for these feelings reflects how you feel about yourself. Here are some thoughts regarding how we can overcome these feelings of unworthiness and inadequacy.

Self-love / Compassion:

"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."

The first step in stopping feelings of unworthiness is showing yourself some love. Now yes, I know how hard loving and accepting yourself is; however, making tiny steps toward building self-confidence and self-love will only result in more incredible things. Try thinking of loving yourself unconditionally as you love your children and pets. Often when we love ourselves with conditions. We will only allow ourselves to show self-love once we lose this weight or get a particular job. We tell ourselves that we are only worthy if we reach these conditions. So I ask you: Why do you need to wait to meet these conditions or wait for things to change? It is a good time to start making changes and showing yourself love today.

Self Talk / Inner thoughts

“Bring up a nurturing inner voice. This is not a harsh, critical, or depriving voice, and it is not an overly sweet, indulging voice. It is a warm, kind voice that cherishes you and accepts you for who you are. In time, this voice will become your own, but for now it can be any voice that meets your needs.”

On your journey, it is essential to be aware of your self-talk. How we talk to ourselves affects how we feel and how we view ourselves. When we learn to have more positive self-talk, we are more confident, motivated, productive, self-confident, and have fewer negative emotions. We must learn to quiet the negative self-talk of judging and criticizing our actions and feelings. When we feel that we are not good enough for others, the voice of our inner critic often makes us question our self-worth, escalates our self-doubt, and diminishes our self-confidence. Awareness of how we talk to ourselves is the first step, and slowly changing the narrative to being more positive is the next step. Rember, there is no one like you, and there never will be, and being happy with yourself matters most.

Become your own Best Friend

"Stop looking out, start looking in. Be your own best friend. Stand up and say this is mine."

A great way to start treating yourself with kindness is to imagine how you might speak to a friend who is experiencing a failure, a disappointment, or any struggle you are currently having. Think about how they struggle, suffer, and feel stuck with this problem. Write out the words you would say to your friend or family member and then say them gently to yourself. Allow yourself to feel supported, and give yourself what you need. It might help to take your advice and put your needs first. If that means taking a day off from work or watching a movie, whatever it is, put that at the top of your list. Making friends with ourselves means that our inner voice speaks with kindness and a gentle, light-hearted tone. It's okay to be nice to yourself, and it's okay to love who you are. You have permission to stop beating yourself up and take care of you.

Positive Affirmations / Gratitude

"I Am... Two of the most powerful words, for what you put after them, shapes your reality."

While there are many opinions about what can benefit people, I have found inspiration towards positive affirmations and gratitude. Positive affirmations can impact your self-love and healing. For example, you can leave little notes with short mantra sayings around the house, like "I accept myself." Both consciously and subconsciously, these sayings can become the truth with repetition. Great things can also come from practicing gratitude, which can be essential for self-improvement. Knowing what we appreciate in life means knowing who we are, what matters to us, and what makes each day worthwhile. Some of the best ways might be to keep a journal or dedicate a five-minute reflection before dinner. Positive affirmations and practicing gratitude can slowly change your views on yourself and your life.

The bigger picture

"Don't compare your life to others. There's no comparison between the sun, and the moon. They shine when it's their time."

When trying to solve any problem, it can be helpful to find where the problem originated from and answer the question of 'why?'. For example, one cause of feeling unworthy might be comparing ourselves to others. Often we look towards social media and see our shortcomings in life. We see all these models and picture-perfect lives. You receive constant messages about what you need to do, look like, and act like to be accepted. It can make you feel like you should hide parts of yourself that aren't perfect and don't fit the social norm. Social media is setting us up to fail with its unrealistic standards. We must take an honest step back to reevaluate our relationship with social media and how we compare ourselves to others. We need to find a balance between wanting to become better people for ourselves and the right reasons and setting unrealistic standards because we see someone else looking/doing. What works for one person doesn't mean it works for another. Find what works for you, and remember, there is only one amazing you.

Finding support

"Asking for help is never a sign of weakness. It's one of the bravest things you can do."

Finally, reaching out for support can be one of the hardest things to do and overcome. However, I want you to know you don't have to go through this alone. Finding someone you trust to help you with this process is essential. If you have access to therapy, that can be a great path; however, it's only possible for some. Support can come from friends, parents, partners, therapists, support groups, and online support. We must be aware of who we surround ourselves with and how those people influence us. Surrounding yourself with good, supportive people can raise your self-worth and self-confidence so that you can thrive. Sometimes, spending time around unhealthy people lowers your self-esteem, confidence, and love. Finding support can also come through trusting and being honest with your partner. Without calling blame, having a calm and mature conversation about how you feel can strengthen your relationship. Solid and open communication can be a sound foundation for any healthy relationship.

Final Thoughts

I know that this is hard and that it is uncomfortable and challenging work. However, it will get better with awareness, taking small steps, consistency, support, and having the right information. A fulfilling, whole life with genuine self-confidence and love is possible. The good news is that at the end of the day, no matter what anyone tells you, you're a fantastic, amazing person who deserves nothing but self-love and compassion. Remember, you are a human being, and this journey is not perfect, so it's okay to make mistakes, but we are here for you every step. I wish you good luck with everything.

Key Words: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family member, better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

purpleAcres4174 January 10th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I believe that everyone has felt less than at some point in their life or in a certain situation. You could be an expert with computer coding, the person everyone goes to for that, but uncertain how to approach another person in a social situation. You could be the social butterfly who becomes overwhelmed trying to do a mathematical calculation in your head. Neither one is less than the other for stress, and everyone has something that brings it out in them.

The question then becomes how you deal with your feelings. When you begin to feel "less than", acknowledge the feeling and pause. Take a deep cleansing breath and reaffirm your best qualities. Say to yourself "I am a good person, and I am very good at .....". Take stock of your body language: good posture, calm face, and eye contact all elevate your self-esteem. And when something awkward happens, release your sense of "less than" with a wry chuckle at yourself. Laughing releases endorphins, elevating your mood, and in retrospect tripping over your feet metaphorically speaking might be funny.

CaringEzra January 10th, 2023

@purpleAcres4174

Feed Back for

1 The post was very informative and helpful

2 You were kind and validated their feelings.

3. You offered good suggestions for them to improve with.

One point of suggestion would be to use your keywords more effectively throughout your answer as well as expand on what you already have (:

Keep up the great work!

purpleAcres4174 January 10th, 2023

Thank you! I realized when I started my post that it was covering up all of the key words! Oh well, I’m laughing now as I realize I can definitely do better next time. I will save my keywords separately so I can see them as a write. I appreciate your feedback.

blueAngel00 January 13th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Provided Keywords: parents, partner, self-esteem, social media, self-worth, good news, the best way, first step, human beings, children, therapy, self-love, family members, a better person, good time, good luck, inner critic, self-doubt, negative self-talk, the real reason, whole life, amazing person, self-confidence, voice, right thing, healthy relationship, great things, information, communication, end of the day

Answer: Did you know that most times, when your inner critic presents negative self-talk or feelings of self-doubt, the real reason is because, as human beings, our self-esteem, combined with our perception of self-worth and feelings of self-confidence, usually begins when we're children? A parent, family members, and other figures of authority, (teachers, ministers, even babysitters, etc.) whom we usually admire, respect, or have high regard for, engage us in communication with specific information about us, albeit many times unknowingly. Although, please note that those feelings aren't necessary for others to impact and influence our thought patterns and belief systems.

The information given to us by these folks is mostly in the form of their beliefs, judgments, opinions, and biases, and usually in a response to something we say or do. The information givers also often have certain reactions to our behaviors and/or words. These opinions, biases, judgments, and reactions teach us subconsciously what to believe about ourselves, our perceptions, and our actions. What we're told by these persons is the foundation of how our belief system about ourselves, among other things, develops. And these messages could be both positive, and negative.

Additionally, as we get older, a partner, social media, friends, bosses, and more, can either validate the negative self-talk we developed as a child or dispute it. Unfortunately, belief systems are hard to change, especially if something like your self-worth has been demeaned your whole life.

The good news is, if something is learned, it can be unlearned! The first step is to recognize that negative thinking about yourself is NOT the right thing to do, as it reinforces a belief system that results in a low self-image and feelings of not being good enough. Even so, feelings are feelings, and we can't control our emotions, we can only control how we react to them. So go ahead and acknowledge your emotion, don't fight it, feel it for a little time, then challenge it. Hard as it may be, changing your thinking will change your perceptions. We are what we think!

Here are a few tried and true options for eradicating "I'm not good enough" beliefs and thoughts:
Therapy, being in a healthy relationship, someone giving voice to your being an amazing person, (which you are!) just having a good time with others more often than not, and surrounding yourself with people who recognize your good qualities, can all help "retrain your brain" into developing a new belief system of worthiness, self-love, and cementing that you're a better person in your mind. Also, acknowledge this limiting belief, but also acknowledge that a belief isn't a fact, it's simply a thought. And we can choose what we think!

Daily (or hourly!) affirmations, listing your positive traits each day, and reading them to yourself in the mirror, can also positively impact your self-image. Another beneficial method is when you catch yourself being negative about yourself, turn it into a positive. Helping others perpetuates better self-esteem and self-worth as well.

But the best way to get over feeling like you're not good enough for someone, immediately, is to picture them with a funny face while they're in their skivvies! Hey, that works for me! 😁

All kidding aside, at the end of the day, knowing you were actually "trained" to believe or feel whatever negatives you believe about yourself, including inferiority complexes and unworthiness, can invite great things for you in the future.

My final remarks: our birthright as human beings is to be loved, and respected, in addition to being considered and treated as worthwhile individuals. But your part in this can be difficult. So please try to keep these words in the forefront of your mind when any thoughts bring you down:

• Believe in yourself the way your small child does
  • Help yourself the way you'd help a dear friend in need
  • Trust yourself the way your dog trusts you
  • See yourself the way you were meant to be seen
You're a beautiful human being, and there isn't now, never was, and never will be another you. That makes you awfully special, and good enough for everyone.

I hope this helped, and good luck, hon! 🌹
🐻

Indian Journal of Psychiatry
The biochemistry of belief
T.S. Sathyanarayana Rao, M. R. Asha, [...], and P. Vasudevaraju

Psyche Central
When You Never Feel Good Enough
By Margarita Tartakovsky, MS
Medically reviewed by Scientific Advisory Board
https://psychcentral.com/blog/when-you-never-f

Heavenlyhorizons January 20th, 2023

@blueAngel00

Hello Angel,

I think you did a phenomenal job!

Things you did well

1. You used two reliable sources to back up your claims. Research-backed answers are so important and fact-checking.

3. You used a variety of keywords for SEO and to make the topic more relevant.

2. You were empathetic and an active listener. I especially like how you said that we are all human, and there will only be one of us; that makes us unique.

Room for improvement

One potential room for improvement is removing all caps and try not to say it's not okay to have negative thoughts but make the listener realize that they are not their thoughts and thoughts are not always facts.

I look forward to interacting more with you :)

YourCaringConfidant February 12th, 2023

@blueAngel00 WOW! That is all I can say! Wow. That was such a beautiful read. If I was the person asking the question and I got a response as yours, I would immediately feel touched and smile. I can tell you wrote your answer with such though, care, and compassion. I applaud you. I, too, am the type of person that can go on and on and write a novel and, even though, I would have done the same... the only thing I would suggest is that it be a tad bit shorter. I know you needed to let all that helpful information out so you can get your message across. I truly agree with everything you said and I am so proud of you. Absolutely great job! <3 You are amazing.

Tikichick January 19th, 2023

Question: What to do when you feel like you are not good enough for someone

I am really sorry you are having these feelings and I am glad you have reached out for support. Please know you are not alone. It’s been estimated that as many as 85% of adults and adolescents ( including myself) suffer or have suffered from feelings of low self worth or feeling like you are not good enough. A quick internet search will provide you with a barrage of tips showing just what a popular subject this is. These feelings can develop in friendships, romantic relationships and family dynamics just to name a few. They can cause very strong emotions and be hard to overcome. One of my favorite tips that has worked for me is when your inner critic is filling your head with negative self talk, stop and notice. Ask yourself if these statements are true fact or if they are just a story you are telling yourself. Talk to yourself like you would talk to your best friend. How would you respond if your best friend were saying these things about themselves? Many people have found that meditation and positive affirmations have helped improve their feelings of self love. You may have to try a few things before you find what works for you and remember that progress may be slow and wavering but if you keep working at it I have confidence you will be able to realize how valuable and loved you really are. And remember, your friends at 7cups are always here when you need help on your journey, so please don’t hesitate to use the site for continued support.

February 7th, 2023

@Tikichick

Hi! I really liked your answer, I can see how much thought you've put into it.

Strengths:

You show empathy, even by relating things a bit to your own personal experience! I think that helps the recipient feel more comfortable with you.

You also offer great suggestions! I like how you've added that 7 cups can be a great resource for those needing support.

Improvement:

I personally like broken up texts to make things easier to understand! I'm not sure if this is a common thing, but I enjoyed your answer regardless :)

Heavenlyhorizons January 20th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Answer:

Many things might lead us to feel like we are not good enough for someone. This can stem from our relations with our parents, partners and, in general, with each other as human beings. It is important to communicate and see if these thoughts are founded in the truth or are negative self-talk. It is essential to acknowledge our thoughts but know at the end of the day, they are not always indicators of the facts. It is also vital to pour self-love and remember that as long as you are good enough for yourself, that’s all that matters. No one cannot pour from an empty cup. There is no actual definition of good enough. Therapy might do great things to help you sort through this. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy might help you sort through these thoughts, and in a healthy relationship, you do not have to feel good enough for someone; you are.

GloriaD January 22nd, 2023

@Heavenlyhorizons

Hey heavenly horizons, I love how your answer :

1) Is brief but informative - you explained how such feelings come about and how to address them with examples.

2) Incorporated important key words - e.g., parents, partner, inner critic, real reason, therapy, self-love, etc.

3) Talks about how we couldn't possibly be perfect for others - "There is no actual definition of good enough."

Additionally, your answer could include some more examples of how we could address the feeling, e.g., other than therapy, CBT exercises at our own pace could help analyze our thoughts, or tracking our progress every day or week could give insight into our strengths 🌻

Overall, when I read your answer, I find it very helpful 😊

January 30th, 2023
Strengths:
  1. Emphasizes the importance of communication in relationships
  2. Encourages self-reflection and self-love
  3. Mentions the potential benefits of therapy
Area of Improvement:
  1. Could benefit from clearer, more descriptive language, and examples.
walkalot March 29th, 2023

@Heavenlyhorizons

Hi Horizons, this one is great. I think someone would be comforted and also get some useful ideas from this answer. Keep up the good work.

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Many of us may have experienced feelings of not being good enough for someone or not being able to meet expectations, perhaps since childhood. How or why do these feelings or thoughts come about? Humans are social beings, and naturally have a need to connect with others (be accepted, loved, to belong), especially loved ones. Hence, when we feel we aren’t good enough, we automatically feel rejected, which may lead to feelings of self-doubt and low self-worth.

Now that we know why it happens, and how natural it is to feel this way, it would be helpful if we can find out what is causing the feeling and what evidence exists that confirms your feelings (e.g. perhaps you are worried that you aren’t good enough because of your past negative experiences with people, but the current person involved says that you are fine the way you are). Think about past interactions with that person, and if possible, communicate regarding what they think about you.

If it is something about your personality or actions that “you” think requires a change, and you can try to control it, then you could work on it because it may benefit you and your relationships in general. Taking a personal example, I thought I just wasn’t good enough for my friend who genuinely cared for me. After analyzing I realized that, in short, my feelings could be because I wasn’t actually putting any effort into our friendship, never showed or communicated that I cared and just assumed that they understood how I felt about them.

However, if the feeling is imagined, because of not being able to meet high expectations, because of something that you cannot control, you have already tried your utmost best, or the only way to be “good enough” for them is to change your values or who you are, then you may need to make a decision here. You could choose what is most important to you, and whether you would be fine with the outcomes of that choice, i.e., to try being better for the person, or be who you are, along with thinking about the advantages and disadvantages of both choices.

Since expectations are never-ending and trying to be perfect for people could tire us out eventually in the long run, people have started focusing on self-acceptance, self-love and being their best versions, rather than comparing and meeting unrealistic real or imagined expectations. From my experience, I’ve found that it is difficult to analyze thoughts and feelings, to be realistic, and to focus on my needs or wants, but daily reminders of my learning over the years, how I have overcome struggles, my current strengths, and being around people who give importance to themselves while respecting others helped me to see my own worth.

So, while we might not be able to be "good enough" for every person, which includes our loved ones, we could instead focus on what we can control (e.g., our thoughts and behavior rather than others’ perspective of us) and give importance to ourselves as we have only one lifetime. This could slowly help us to feel less burdened, more self-confident, to notice who cares and appreciates us, and also to find new people who accept us just as we are.

(Note : Thank you to anyone who will be providing me with constructive feedback 😊 I would really appreciate it.)

@GloriaD

(I also have no idea how the spaces in between paragraphs increased, but that was by accident 🌻)

bbmarko January 27th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

When the voice saying "I am not good enough" appears, the self-doubt sets in and fear takes over. This negative self-talk can begin in childhood and manifest itself in ways that affect self-esteem as well as other family members and partners involved. The good news is there is an underlying assumption about not being good enough. This assumption might seem logical, but the logic fails because the truth, just is not there.

The assumption is: That you can clearly define "enough".

What qualifies as "good enough"? You might answer with, "if I just do the right thing", or "If I were just a better person". However, these markers set up by you are still unclear because what is "right" or "better" and our "enough-ness" continue to be undefinable.

The truth about enough is to question the definitions of "enough" (or "deserving" or "worthy"). As you ponder what the voice is saying to you, think of the wounds it is expressing. By listening to the voices of "not good enough", you can begin to understand what is really being said. It’s through listening without attachment to that voice, that you’ll learn some valuable information. Whether it be a fear of making mistakes or perhaps the fear that needs won't be met or something else, you will have a better understanding of the real reason for thinking of not being good enough.

At the end of the day, ask yourself if you can really define "good enough, or not good enough". Spend less time searching for enough-ness and spend more time noticing what an amazing person you are.

January 30th, 2023

Response: It’s natural to feel like you’re not good enough for someone, and I’m sure many others can relate or have gone through this at some point in their life. I would suggest first taking a step back to see if you can identify the root problem. In a sense, what’s causing you to feel this way? Did something change recently causing your self-doubt to kick in? Is there some negative self-talk going on that’s unaddressed? Next, reach out. This could mean talking to a trusted friend or a family member or counsellor or even therapist. There’s no shame in seeking reassurance. Self-love is something that’s often easier said than done, but it’s definitely important. As cliché as this may sound, but our inner critic is often our worst critic. Last but certainly not least, challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone! This would help you build your overall self-confidence and address some of the issues that arise from self-doubt.

Healthylistener0123 January 31st, 2023

@richuyulin I like your response.

I've found three strengths from your response. First strengths is you tried to Identify the problem and second one is you try to find ideas of path to improvement. The third is you've try to create a mindset that accept challenges.

Improvements I can recommend:

Add a little more information so It could be more expressing and instructive.