Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Conquering Anxiety: Cycle of Anxiety

Hope May 3rd

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well. Last week we talked about what anxiety is and how it can impact one’s life. You can participate in the first post here. This week we will dive into the cycle of Anxiety! We often talk about anxiety but I have not seen the cycle being talked about that often it is an important pattern to understand to improve your anxiety. 

Here is the anxiety cycle visualized

QqbAUgwdDnJbqwdH5kAjRy_Qj8I29-NtHfkE8sSCRP8NQek3twNMXZjkfEKfIpW3-SriFVtD5SfrnHg-bezDc5K-ycDoodSjpDBbwbShEDsG_MOO_tUoIf8qeBrpVdhQLE41iQkkKrzAodySDkptE4k

The cycle of anxiety, as illustrated in the graphic from The OCD & Anxiety Center

Here is how it looks in action:

• Public speaking: The speaker fears judgment, avoids presentation (temporary relief), but misses the chance to gain experience and the anxiety persists. The next time the same opportunity is presented, the fear is stronger. 
  • Driving: A person fears driving in busy places and avoids them initially but over time the idea of driving on busy roads feels completely unacceptable. What started as hesitance, becomes a deep-rooted fear. 

Please take two minutes to watch this video on the anxiety cycle

📺Click Here to Watch the Video

So are we doomed then? 

No, the interesting thing about the anxiety cycle is, that just as you can feed and strengthen your anxiety, you can also do the opposite.

Let's look at the already given above examples where we learned that if we avoid something we are scared of, we strengthen the feelings of anxiety associated with it. So if we wish to weaken the intensity of these feelings, we have to do the opposite! We have to face what we fear (this will be covered more thoroughly in the coming posts, we are just dipping our toes in the idea of facing our fears at the start of the series)

So what do we do when we are faced with anxiety?

You do the thing you are scared of. I know it is easier said than done but this is an effective method. 

For example, if you are a new driver who is scared to park in busy areas, you do exactly that! But we don’t go into these situations without our handy grounding tools to help us get through it! These will be covered in the posts to come. 

For this post, we are simply learning about the cycle of anxiety and reflecting on how we have strengthened and weakened it in our lives. 

Questions for reflection

It is preferred that you complete the series on a member account but to accommodate anyone who wishes to use a listener account, I have divided the questions into Member and Listener categories. 

(Members Only) Please do not answer these on a listener account

• Reflect on an area of life where you have struggled with anxiety think about the cycle of anxiety that has existed surrounding that topic and share with us what that cycle looked like for you. 
  • Think of something you were once anxious about doing but now you either feel reduced anxiety surrounding it or do not feel anxious at all. Do you think you knowingly or unnowlingly broke the cycle?

(Listeners Only)

• Think of something that can be generally anxiety-provoking and give us two examples, where one path leads to more anxiety and another weakens the cycle. 

Further Reading 

This post is part of the Conquering Anxiety series, you can find all posts of the series here. 

YourShouder03 June 6th

@YourShouder03

However if one was to bite the bullet and just go for it, trying their best- this would make an individual more comfortable with things that give us a lot of fear. Next time, this type of task would be easier to do

Hope OP June 15th

@YourShouder03

Absolutely! Great example

sally758 June 7th

How can one apply this in the case of health anxiety?

Walkerwall636 June 8th

@Hope I don't know where else to ask for help. But I don't have hope and none to talk to. And I can't stop crying without understanding. I just don't understand what's wrong with me

Hope OP June 28th

@Walkerwall636

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. It can indeed be challenging to find support. 

We have a few resources on 7 Cups. 

You can create a member account or log into one if you have one already to seek personal support. There are a few ways you can get it

• Connect to listeners who focus on anxiety as a topic
  • Utilize resources such as this series
  • Share in sharing circles

Long term listener can be a good way to have a support system

pamharley003 June 10th

@Hope

Think of something that can be generally anxiety-provoking and give us two examples, where one path leads to more anxiety and another weakens the cycle.

For me it is public speaking. I get so nervous of am I going to do good or will I make a ton of mistakes. The first path the leading more anxiety is to not be prepared with notes, power point presentations to be prepared.

The second path is to practice in front of family or friends and ask for feedback from them on if something needs to be improved and go in to the presentation full of smiles, eye contact to all watching and main focus breathe 

Hope OP June 28th

@pamharley003

Tackling your fears surrounded by compassionate people is a great way to go about it!

unassumingEyes June 13th

@Hope

Reflect on an area of life where you have struggled with anxiety think about the cycle of anxiety that has existed surrounding that topic and share with us what that cycle looked like for you. 

I have struggled with anxiety in talking to my teachers about any matter. I get nervous when the need arises, get a friend/classmate to do it for me and get even more nervous the next time the need aries again. 

Think of something you were once anxious about doing but now you either feel reduced anxiety surrounding it or do not feel anxious at all. Do you think you knowingly or unnowlingly broke the cycle?

I broke the cycle of anxiety surrounding talking to a teacher when I had no choice but to do it myself and had to confront a teacher for my sake and the sake of my friends. It was extremely nerve racking but now it doesnt seem so scary to talk to a teacher anymore 🙃

Hope OP June 28th

@unassumingEyes

It can be hard to talk to people with authority. It looks like that push helped you. 

It is interesting that you were able to do it when it came to your friends! I am glad you were able to overcome the fear

@Hope

Reflect on an area of life where you have struggled with anxiety. 

An area of life I've struggled with is self sabotage. Even though I'm motivated and want to do something, the negative thoughts will win.

Think about the cycle of anxiety that has existed surrounding that topic and share with us what that cycle looked like for you. 

This hyper independence creates isolation which increases issues, which then further increases the isolation and issues, etc..

Think of something you were once anxious about doing but now you either feel reduced anxiety surrounding it or do not feel anxious at all. Do you think you knowingly or unknowingly broke the cycle?

I used to be very anxious about going places alone eg. to the movies, events and to eat. I think both - knowingly and unknowingly.

(Listeners Only)

Think of something that can be generally anxiety-provoking and give us two examples, where one path leads to more anxiety and another weakens the cycle. 

Using my earlier issue with self sabotage, let's say one's needing to calling an organization for emergency financial assistance. 

One example is I could not call at all and try do everything myself which is just flat-out dangerous because it's too risky a bet.

Another example is I can try my best to call even if there's no guarantees it will work* because the only risks here, are in my head.

*Mitigating analysis paralysis with research into how to ask for something, coaching through an app like Summit and studying S.M.A.R.T. goals.

Also, here's a picture of a hekkin cute frog.
k4y9st7q9545k8m-jfz1udpvnqj1n-noxj8ppjyjqzm_1718396804.jpg
mytwistedsoul June 14th

@communicativePond1728 Very cute frog :)

Hope OP June 28th

@mytwistedsoul

What an insightful reflection! Hyper independence and isolation are so closely connected but not often talked about. 

There is a book called 7 Habits of highly effective people where the author talks about interdependence which I found to be an interesting concept. 

whattospeak June 14th

@Hope 

Anxiety often arises as a common response to stressors such as public speaking and social interactions. For public speaking, preparation and practice can transform anxiety into a helpful alertness. Similarly, in social settings, challenging negative thoughts and seeking support can reduce feelings of anxiety. The way one approaches these situations can significantly influence one's anxiety levels. Gradually facing these situations to build resilience and confidence, ultimately breaking the cycle of anxiety.

Hope OP June 28th

@casterDjack

It seems like being prepared takes some of the pressure off! 

I agree our response to the situation greatly matters. We can be proactive

reliablebunny23 June 25th

@Hope

Reflect on an area of life where you have struggled with anxiety think about the cycle of anxiety that has existed surrounding that topic and share with us what that cycle looked like for you. 

I have struggled with anxiety while communicating with others, I fear judgement and that makes me anxious, & I often avoid communication, which makes me even more anxious the next time I have to communicate with someone.

Think of something you were once anxious about doing but now you either feel reduced anxiety surrounding it or do not feel anxious at all. Do you think you knowingly or unnowlingly broke the cycle?

I used to be very anxious when I had to go on a shop & purchase anything. (due to fear of judgement). I always avoided going to purchase anything even if anyone asked me to. But one day, I decided that I'll face it, I went to the shop and purchased some grocery items and that broke the cycle. Now my anxiety regarding this has comparatively reduced. 

Hope OP June 28th

@reliablebunny23

Wow I am glad you were able to overcome that purchasing cycle!

I hope you can take steps towards communication too. Perhaps something small can be a good start

Dreee June 28th

Area of life that you have struggled with anxiety: I think my cycle of anxiety would be the fact that I worry about a lot of things, I worry about how I look or or how I'm seen by other people a lot and so I try as much not to talk to people much.

I worry about it going outside because of how people will see me so I don't go out much.

I worry about facing things like a challenge or task because I don't think I can win it so I don't do challenges much.

I would be anxious about learning how to code because I was afraid of it. I can't explain why I was afraid but I was afraid I think because it was scary to imagine how hard it will be... But I tried learning it with a really friendly course and now I'm not afraid to soil my hands into it when I learn... It's nice

Hope OP June 28th

@Dreee

It seems like you tend to worry a lot. That sounds challenging to deal with. I am glad you were able to make some progress with the learning!

You may benefit from looking into these cognitive distortions

lotuswarriorrising June 28th

@Hope  responding as a listener here! 

• Think of something that can be generally anxiety-provoking and give us two examples, where one path leads to more anxiety and another weakens the cycle.   Driving - if the parent gives in to the child and enables them to not learn to drive.  On the other hand,  starting with just sitting in the drivers seat, then going to an empty parking lot..,let the new driver become confident and comfortable in their own time. 
heathermarie95 June 29th

@Hope

driving on the parkway

- leading to the anxiety: thinking I will get into an accident 

- weakens the cycle: challenging my thoughts 

BlossomGirvan July 13th

@Hope

Hello,

I'm reaching out because I need support with my driving anxiety. I'm 33 years old and have been trying to drive again after years of avoiding it. I kept giving up in the past due to anxiety, but I've started taking driving lessons again and they're going well. However, I struggle with severe anxiety symptoms like shaking, getting red in the face, and feeling out of breath due to my fear of driving with my boyfriend.

My boyfriend has let me drive his car, which is bigger and has different technology than I'm used to. Initially, I struggled to understand it. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is not patient and doesn't explain things calmly or slowly enough to help me understand. He often grabs the gears and changes them while I'm trying to pull off, raises his voice, and belittles me. This has led to many tears and increased anxiety for me.

Due to his ankle injuries, he can't drive, so I have to take him to his doctor and physio appointments etc. He accuses me of not listening when I'm slower to react, and his behavior only heightens my anxiety and leads to more mistakes. It's been so painful that I feel like giving up.

When I drive with my instructor, I can face challenges with a clear mind and perform well. It feels like I'm moving forward with my instructor, but then I regress each time I drive with my boyfriend. I face my fears and anxiety with my instructor, but revert to avoidance and increased anxiety when driving with my boyfriend.

I could really use some guidance on how to manage this situation and cope with my anxiety.

Thank you for your support.

@BlossomGirvan

Good afternoon and can I just say.... I am so sorry that your boyfriend isn't more understanding and patient, because I understand EXACTLY what you're going through, having dealt with it in my husband's Tesla model 3.  That thing is like piloting a spaceship, and it really spikes my anxiety.  

Have you tried explaining to him how his reactions and impatience are making you feel?  I use a lot of deep breathing each time I get in my husband's car (it gives me anxiety even when he is driving it, as he likes to use the self-drive mode that I don't really fully trust.  

I am sorry I don't have more ideas to offer to help you ovecome this situation.  I am here in solidarity!

TheSunParadox33 July 26th

Can’t wait to view this article, it’s going to be so helpful!

dhabib July 31st

@Hope I have long term anixety growth and avoidance I avoid people that harm me treat me *** *** I have trauma