Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #2: What helps shift your mind from anxious thoughts?

ASilentObserver April 19th, 2023

Hello everyone, I hope you are all being easy on yourself this week.

Last week we discussed What worries tend to dominate your thoughts? Thank you to all who participated and shared their thoughts for discussion. I enjoyed them. I hope you all did too. If you didn't share yours, please share them here and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you.

This week's prompt: What helps shift your mind from anxious thoughts?

Anxiety can be awful and difficult to process but if there is anything that helps you shift your mind from anxious thoughts, what are they?

Let's get started and share your thoughts with us.

Also, you can join the Anxiety Group Support Chat every Monday and Tuesday.

loof-and-timmy-loof.gif
WinterRose9 April 19th, 2023

What shifts my mind from being anxious is either listening to music or drawing something out

ASilentObserver OP April 27th, 2023

@PhoenixButterfly97 That is great phoenix. Music and drawing peacefully occupy your thoughts. Finding outlets that calm your mind is insightful.

SirenOfSerenity April 19th, 2023

This is a really good prompt question. For me personally, it helps when I pause and examine the anxious thoughts and then label them as just anxious thoughts. Then I watch some funny videos or think of something random to research because I always enjoy learning something new

@SirenOfSerenity Thank you Siren. Labeling thoughts "anxious thoughts" and then exploring new outlets cultivate calm. I think anxiety clouds but insights pierce through. Growing courage soothes through outlets feeling wholly your own. Understanding lessens overwhelm from within.

LonleyCheese April 19th, 2023

It depends on why I'm feeling anxious, although usually talking to my person helps, of if she's not there and I can't even text her just imagining she's there. I also bring noise cancelling heaphones to loud places so it's a little easier. If I'm getting unreasonable nighttime fears like weird creature things in my house that aren't ever going to be there, I just have to remind myself that I am safe, and that the feeling should pass by morning

LonleyCheese April 20th, 2023

also staring at a wall or carpet until i see weird shapes

masterekat April 22nd, 2023

I also imagine my person is there. It really does help!

@LonleyCheese The strategies you have in place seems very helpful for managing anxiety. Although worries can feel overwhelming at the moment, It is great that you have the insight and strength to work through them. Keep taking your small steps

purpleTree4652 April 19th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Hey, ASO,

What helps shift your mind from anxious thoughts? My psychiatric meds help, and watching something mindless on my laptop for about an hour helps.

Anxiety can be awful and difficult to process but if there is anything that helps you shift your mind from anxious thoughts, what are they? Praying and meditating also helps although lately, with my car problems, moving and starting grad school, I have done less planned types of skills to help me through anxiety. Once I move, I plan to start to meditate again on a schedule, and work out on a schedule. I'm looking forward to it.

@purpleTree4652 It sounds like establishing a calming routine will be so helpful for you. I can understand why distractions and unwinding time have been a lifeline. Please do share any other ways you've discovered to ease anxiety. Keep taking your small steps. You got this.

compassionateOak202 April 19th, 2023

What helps shift your mind from anxious thoughts?

I would often play a casual idle or incremental game that'll help distract myself away from these thoughts I have. Listening to music is another thing. I've also been writing on my journal as a way to let out my feelings, as well as writing down gratitudes each day, which has definitely helped me.

@compassionateOak202 I'm glad to see you using several coping strategies. Finding creative outlets for difficult emotions is so helpful. Your self-care is important, especially during difficult times.

PoliteOcean April 20th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

What helps shift your mind from anxious thoughts?....It depends on the Level of anxious thoughts. But being near my loved ones/my pet, getting out into a different environment that I enjoy, or in the Sunshine for a walk. Or simply talking to someone else who understands.

@PoliteOcean That is great Ocean.It sounds like being around nature, loved ones, and familiar environments helps relieve some anxiety for you.

pharmmatt April 21st, 2023

Music helps me

@pharmmatt I am glad you find music helpful matt. it is great. Are there any other outlets that help you as well?

masterekat April 22nd, 2023

Thanks everyone for sharing your responses! Reading them has been helpful for me.

My top answer would definitely be meditation. I use the Headspace app, and it helps slow my brain down enough to where I can dissect and sort through the thoughts to see if they are rational or helpful. Journaling by hand on paper also has this effect. When I need comfort, I watch my friend livestream or watch one of his videos. When I want to do something fun to escape, I’ll play video games myself, or lately I’ve been watching a lot of movies. Reading, arts, and crafts are some other things I’ll occasionally do to distract myself.

@masterekat I'm glad to hear you are taking such good care of yourself. It sounds like you have developed some wonderful coping strategies and self-care practices.

Clio9876 April 24th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

What helps with anxious thoughts.

Browsing 7 cups. Here I then come across something that reminds me of where I'm going and or why. Or gives me hope or inspiration.

Reminding myself that it will end, I just need to make it though. In my experience, trying to stop anxious thoughts just increases the anxiety. I'm better off acknowledging that I'm anxious and accepting that it will go away when it is ready.

Writing it out or talking it through with someone can also really help.

A big slow breath.

Squeezing my hands into fists and then stretching them out as far as I can.

A rant on a walk.

@Clio9876 I hear you acknowledging the anxiety and seeing that its persistence is out of your control at the moment. It sounds like finding ways to cope in a gentle and validating way can help you feel a small sense of mastery over the experience. Remembering that this anxiety is temporary and will pass, even if the passing seems slow. You are not alone in this.

unachicamas04 April 25th, 2023

I like writing or drawing how I feel.

Sometimes talking to people about it helps too

@unachicamas04 It sounds like expressing those emotions through creative avenues is helpful for gaining perspective and relief. I am glad these steps helping you. Keep taking your small steps

eagereagle28 April 25th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

for me, being near my cat always helps as she helps to ground me and remind me that there are always good and stable/reliable things in the world. i think it was also like touch therapy, just the sensation of her fur is calming!

@eagereagle28 Sounds great that you have such a caring companion to bring you comfort. The calming, grounding presence of a loving pet can make all the difference.

nikglass April 25th, 2023

First I turn to distractions for a bit just to initially calm down so it doesn't turn into a panic attack. I'll play a video game or watch a YouTube video. Then I can return to what made me anxious and look at it with fresh eyes so I can see which fears were rational or irrational.

@nikglass You have effective techniques for regulating distress. Once sensations ease, worries are reassessed with a balanced perspective, discerning facts from fears unfounded. Rational or not, all concerns are acknowledged and addressed using strategies suited for each. You got this Glass and we are all here with you.

caringKiwi8601 April 25th, 2023

@ASilentObserver Listening to pop music and reading stories helps shift my mind from anxious thoughts. Also spending time with my friends helps shift my mind from anxious thoughts!

@caringKiwi8601 I'm glad these ways help you feel calmer. Stories can be so soothing and therapeutic.

faithfulPal9883 April 26th, 2023

It depends of the intensity but usually play some relaxing music, see myself in the mirror and start telling me good things, sit and rest for a while and start thinking about all of the happy moments.

See my boyfriend and go out with him if I've had a stressful and anxious day.

@faithfulPal9883 I can sense how much you care for your own well-being. Itis great that you are thoughtful and methodical in reducing your anxiety. Keep taking your small steps.

Emerbliss April 26th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

ASO this was such a beautifully useful question!! I loved knowing about how others take care of themselves and walk anxiety out, not a pleasant guest at all .

My tiny input , I love looking into open spaces , reading good books , trying out something new ( which may or may not end up with the desired results... Ahem.. aaand let's not forget music 🎶 . Also what's yours?

@Emerbliss very cool. Those are great outlets to ease anxiety, Bliss. For me, reading, going for a long walk and listening some light music helps.

oliveShade5436 April 26th, 2023

My anxiety starts with burping. I usually soak in a warm bath and that helps.

@oliveShade5436 It sounds like your anxiety manifests in physical symptoms. A warm bath seems to help relieve some of that tension. You doing good Shade, keep taking your small steps and know we are all here with you

bubbleGrapefruit8113 April 30th, 2023

@oliveShade5436 Same sympom and same coping strategy with me! On a bad day I can take up to 4 baths, but I just want to do it instinctinctively and it really calms me down.

Victoria2130 April 27th, 2023

I am always anxious and it is stressful and difficult to manage

@Victoria2130 I am sorry to hear that Victoria. I can feel the anxiety coming through in your words, sounds stressful to experience. We are all here with you to listen to and support.

WinterRose9 April 27th, 2023

I'm doing good, I'm learning that I don't need anyones approval to shine like a star

bubbleGrapefruit8113 April 30th, 2023

@PhoenixButterfly97 Good for you, keep up this attitude !

VaryingCloud April 28th, 2023

Anxiety is a difficult feeling indeed and we all have experienced it. It has an ability to keep you stuck depending on its intensity. It may or may not go on its own. Sometimes, even a cup of tea, listening to some nice piece of music or a nap can help ease the situation and sometimes nothing seems to work.

I think, most of the times what works the most is bringing our attention to present, living in the moment and making a little effort trying to do things that are need based. As mind has a tendency to wander, the moment we hold the reins, it starts coming back in control.

Back in school we were constantly reminded of asking this question to ourselves, ‘Are we doing the right thing, at the right time and at the right place?’ which also used to be the motto. It’s challenging to follow but interesting too and constantly keeps our actions in check. Sometimes, when we start giving more importance to our actions, mind takes a backseat. And bonus, when we tire ourselves out doing things, at least at the end of the day we get a good night sleep which is vital for a healthy mind.

Different things seem to work at different times for different people. For me, anything that I can ‘create’ really helps me shift my mind (even if it’s just talking about anxiety - creating an essay xD - that I am doing right now).