Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

softMusic9759 August 28th, 2020

I would be sad, but I'd use that as motivation to do better in the future! I think that I would end up asking the leader to keep me updated on new positions that may open, ask them how I can contribute in other ways or even what I need to do to ensure that I can get the role in the future!

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

heart So sincere and inspiring! heart

PeaceLoveandPaws August 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

I like that you mentioned asking about other ways you can contribute to the team you are wanting be join.

azuladragon34 August 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Very sincere

CheeryMango August 30th, 2020

@softMusic9759 It's okay to feel sad when we don't get the role we hoped for, but don't let that discourage you for bettering yourself

bookworm274 August 31st, 2020

@softMusic9759

I think it

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 2nd, 2020

@softMusic9759smiley Awesome reply and a great way to look at this !!

Tyeheart

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@softMusic9759

Motivating is key, thank you.

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

Yes it is,Good job

LittleBirdie30 September 11th, 2020

@softMusic9759 I really like how you said you'd ask the leader what other opportunities there are! I didn't even think of this!

eternalCloud4864 April 3rd, 2023

Yeah same here lol.

Endure777 September 14th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Nice job with your answer!

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Very sincere answer heart

Vintagechoc September 29th, 2020

@softMusic9759

This is a good reaction

TogetherForeverAlways October 1st, 2020

@softMusic9759

Awesome answer, thanks so much for sharing!! 🤩🤩🤗🤗

Yourstruly2000 October 2nd, 2020

@softMusic9759

thats a great approach to it, this has a positive outlook to the not so positive feedback!! I like that quality alot in anyone!

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@softMusic9759 that's a good response!

YoungMonastic007 October 11th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Inspiring

Dinohorus November 14th, 2020

@softMusic9759

I think that it's wonderful that you included the fact you'd seek to improve and find new ways to contribute!

wanjiku November 30th, 2020

@softMusic9759

i like your response.

Ines1229 December 9th, 2020

@softMusic9759

Definitely, seeing it as a way of attracting mroe motivation is the right way to go <3

Anexmos December 9th, 2020

@softMusic9759 very good attitude and peaceful rwaction smiley

She13 December 16th, 2020

@softMusic9759 - that's a great way to look ahead :)

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

@softMusic9759

That is a very practical post.

Jili February 28th, 2021

@softMusic9759

yay that's awesome!

Kieran000 March 8th, 2021

@softMusic9759
Great answer!

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Great reply and a great viewpoint!

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@softMusic9759

I love this!! I wish I could word my thoughts like that!

pamharley003 April 4th, 2021

@softMusic9759

I would also be sad but understand that the role was difficult for me or to work on maybe applying for it later. I would also ask to be let known if a situatable role that I can do be told to me

SweetDreamer69 April 17th, 2021

Really loved the point where you mentioned that you'd ask them different ways to contribute as of now. So much of positivity! Thats a really good trait.

May 30th, 2021

Hi @softMusic9759! It’s understandable to be sad, but I’m glad you would use it as motivation to improve yourself for the future.

Brinaa101 July 9th, 2021

@softMusic9759
This is very motivating! Thank you :)

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@softMusic9759

I agree with you, I really like how you can reason about it

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Yes even I would be sad about it

kindFish9215 October 7th, 2021

@softMusic9759

This is a really good way to respond! I admire that you are honest about your feelings.

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

@softMusic9759

Very inspiring.

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@softMusic9759

So motivating and wonderful !

Glue June 29th, 2022

@softMusic9759

This is inspiring, Music!

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@softMusic9759

this is very inspiring but also motivating