Community /

Trauma Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Trauma Support Community Check-In for July 2024 - Disability Pride Month
by audienta
Last post
Sunday
...See more Hello everyone, welcome to this month's check-in! This month is Disability Pride Month! (Source Picture [https://www.weareteachers.com/disability-pride-month/]) I mention this pride month as trauma can become a disability and disabilities can lead to trauma. These things are therefore deeply connected. Studies have shown that so-called adverse childhood experiences lead to an increased risk of getting a physical or mental illness (source 1 [https://journals.lww.com/jaanp/abstract/2015/08000/health_consequences_of_adverse_childhood.10.aspx]) and at the same time, medical interventions can lead to PTSD (source 2 [https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163834321000165]).  Whether you have a visible or an invisible disability, I hope this month, you can be proud of what challenges you've been able to overcome, what life you've been able to build for yourself and who you have become with, despite and maybe even because of your disability. And if you're not there yet, if there are still mountains to overcome, I hope you can be proud of yourself for trying, for not giving up, for being resilient. You're awesome the way you are. ------------------------- Trauma Support Community Check-In for July 2024 1) That's what the colours of the disability pride flag stand for (according to umass [https://www.umassp.edu/inclusive-by-design/who-before-how/disability-pride#:~:text=green%20is%20for%20sensory%20disabilities,and%20red%20represents%20physical%20disabilities.]): - grey for the rage and protest about the mistreatment of the disabled community and the deaths it has caused - green for sensory disabilities - blue for psychiatric disabilities - white for undiagnosed and invisible disabilities - gold for neurodivergence - red for physical disabilities Colour your reply in the colours you can relate to! (Only if you want to of course.) 2) Which challenges have you faced due to limitations because of trauma or trauma because of disabilities? 3) Why are you proud of yourself this month? (It can be small, it can be big, but make sure to find something. 💜) ------------------------- If you have a question you'd like me to ask at the next check-in, please let me know! Take care, audienta ------------------------- You can get added to or removed from the trauma support taglist here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaSupport_60/ampResources_2334/TraumaSupportAutomatedTaglist_219256/]. @0Some0where0I0BELONG0 @13irth @adaptableLake3534 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousAcres9344 @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @AguaNector6700 @allYou @Amelia2324 @Amelia763 @amiableBunny4016 @AshFox2007 @AstronomySkies @audienta @Avaray @BeautifulCreation999 @BeenAKiwi @bela12345 @BillyJoeBobb @blueScarf9326 @bouncyBreeze44 @BraveAdventurer @BrokenDreamsPalace @BrokenMedic @bubblegumPuppy68 @bumblebee2307 @Bunnylovesyou @CalmRosebud @CaptainTrev @carefulKitten1131 @CaringBrit @charmingSky5972 @Chrissy911666 @Claireolomi @clare7199 @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @communicativeYard2325 @conicha @CoolBeans29 @Crakyz @creativeStrings1531 @crimsonLime6525 @crxxtvfl0w @cueball @cyanPlatypus6370 @DaniAleah156 @Dannc7c @DarkGalaxy55555 @daydreammemories @Deadtiredperson175 @delicatepunk @depressedsatellite1452 @diligentDime8651 @DinaElwy @domesticEmerald50s @Eitas @emotional232023 @emotionalTalker2260 @emylly @FallenAngel0128 @Feathersfall @FigureskatingEquestrian @Fireskye13 @Fleggles @fluien @forcefulFriend4768 @Gagaintheroom @gentleLand5245 @Ghxstie @goldenSpruce1512 @Grandmaof10 @Greenchoice1 @gregariousBeing5071 @Grits1910 @helpfulLion92 @hillsideblues @honestpanda81 @HonestWarrior6624 @HopeNChayil @HumanPersonThingy @Iamwhoiamwhoami @IceCream4IceCream @iloveyouxx @IndigoWhisper @InfinityandBeyond23 @inventiveOrange1313 @Itisbailey @jcqlinshots @Journey144 @jovialButterfly6752 @jr50 @Judy7 @jupitermatilde @JustSmilingThruHell @Kekesea11 @Kickiree @Kimmkimm @kindTurtle3738 @Kunoichi91Warrior @LightofWorld @LillithHolly @Lilly28 @lilmissjaded @lionsaether @littleHuman9247 @littleOtter1342 @LordFireStorm71 @lovehummingbirdsCindy @LovelyOrangeJuice @LoveMyMoonflowers @lowkeyem1001 @Lubo123 @Luchelle @lyricalAngel70 @Marigold357 @maya6548 @mcooper7583 @Meenagirl @Mellietronx @mish3l @MistyMagic @mkaitx @Mooglethefluffy @MunchieTaters @MVObserver @mytwistedsoul @navyMango2804 @neatBlueberry3608 @neonDog3649 @neonOwl3442 @NevaehRose @Nolanhm @NoneTheWiser @nonethewiser @notmyselftoday @Novelwriter @npos25 @oceancruiser48 @Oceanwaves16 @OffDutySeraph @OneErased @OneWithSugar @ottersngiggles @parkey @Parvlakin @PatienceImpatiens @pencilmarks @Petrichor2000 @Philowl @Pidgeymon @PinkestOctopus @politeBunny7572 @practicalIdeal2007 @purpleWheel873 @QuietLotus @rainbow3140 @Randomperson453 @RansviewTheWizard @raspberry563 @ReallyRuth @Rebekahwriter13 @Redhawk6547 @Redirecting @redmark @reliablePeach8464 @Rosa9570 @SafeSpace1776 @SapphireSoul @SarahAlaina15 @scarletPear1945 @selfdisciplinedTiger5523 @sensitiveShade5337 @ShapeshiftSystem @shellofashell @shiningDay80 @Silverviolets @sincereThinker3571 @sleepingd0gg0 @SmileSravani @SnippyHam @sofiamartino18 @SoftForestHSP77 @SoulSupporter102 @StarlightSystemDID @stickercollection @Storyhymns1234 @straightforwardSkies7721 @Summer899 @SynSavory @Taylorz27 @tealOak8933 @teenytinyturtle @The0Vetoed0System @TheAutumnWitch @TheFisherKing @ThisIsLogan @ThreadbareThinker @Tinywhisper11 @TransparentPuzzle @turquoiseHemlock900 @Turtlegrrrl8 @u1146 @underapinetree @Understandingempath @UndomesticGoddess @unique73 @uniqueDaisy @veeceebee @Verysadperson101 @Vivikun9 @WarriorHeartsSystem @weepingwillow5489 @WelcomeToChat @wontwakewontsleep @WorkingitThrough2 @Worrior22Warrior @Writersworld @WriteToHeal42 @xandia @xmoonsie16x0
Schedule: Discussions of the Trauma Sub-Community
by audienta
Last post
Saturday
...See more Hello everyone, The Trauma Sub-Community Discussion Team currently hosts seven discussions per week: * Monday, 9 AM/11AM ET (changing the time every other week): Guided Support Chat for Adults with DID/OSDD-1, hosted by InsightfulPhoenix * Monday, 1 PM ET: Open Support Chat about Trauma for Teens * Tuesday, 4 PM ET: Open Support Chat for Adults with any Dissociative Disorder, hosted by InsightfulPhoenix * Wednesday, 11 PM ET: Open Support Chat for Teens with any Dissociative Disorder, hosted by Bunnylovesyou * Wednesday, 1 PM ET: Open Support Chat for Adults with DID/OSDD-1, hosted by mytwistedsoul * Friday, 7 PM ET: Guided Support Chat about Trauma for Adults, hosted by WillingToHelpU * Sunday, 3 PM ET: Open Support Chat about Trauma for Adults, hosted by InsightfulPhoenix Here's the schedule with the currently planned discussions for the coming month. [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bXxPIbmbcSJ9aJO92oDi3FWiQc9WC9WLs4Fsl8QZ_Qw/edit] The discussions will be announced the day before they happen by the host who will lead the chat in this thread [https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaticExperiencesCommunity_60/DissociationRelatedDisorders_2335/DiscussionsonDissociativeDisordersAnnouncementPosts_303372/]. If you want to be tagged for them, please leave a comment below. And if you need to convert the time into your time zone, click here [https://rarelycharlie.github.io/7cupstime]. The discussions take place in the trauma support room [https://www.7cups.com/chat/?c=k2tqdHaUk5qdlLBpiYbDlQ%21%21]. To access this room, you need to have either the Chief Chat or the First Post plus the Compassion Hero badge. You can find more information about that here. [https://www.7cups.com/forum/GroupSupport_168/CommunityManagersOffice_2008/NewCriteriaUpdatesGroupChatsEasierToAccessNow_280544/] The trauma support room is only open on Sundays and during the discussions. In addition to the above, there are Listener Learning Discussions on Dissociative Disorders according to this [https://www.7cups.com/forum/listenerjourney/ListenerLearningDiscussions_1896/UpcomingAdultListenerLearningDiscussionsforSeptember2023_312117/] schedule [https://www.7cups.com/forum/listenerjourney/ListenerLearningDiscussions_1896/UpcomingAdultListenerLearningDiscussionsforSeptember2023_312117/]. ------------------------- If you want to become a host for these discussions, please fill in this [https://forms.gle/nijWmDzws6WYfrL76] [https://forms.gle/nijWmDzws6WYfrL76]form [https://forms.gle/nijWmDzws6WYfrL76]. Also, you need to make sure that you can access the trauma support room (info here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/GroupSupport_168/CommunityManagersOffice_2008/NewCriteriaUpdatesGroupChatsEasierToAccessNow_280544/]). Please comment under this post if you want to be tagged for future discussions. Also, my PMs are open if you have any suggestions, ideas, or questions. Take care, audienta (last updated: 5/31/2024)
Trauma Support Automated Taglist
by CaringBrit
Last post
Friday
...See more This thread controls an auto-updating taglist. To see the current list, go to Trauma Support Community [https://rarelycharlie.github.io/taglist?23eb3b680028ac32c998125af8d8f262]. <<<< checkin posters refer to this click then copy for taglist its instant updated To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button above and write the exact words Please add me. To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button above and write the exact words, Please remove me. highlighting keywords as these are needed no forms to fill in just type to this thread . dont need to copy the colouring though just the keywords highlight is so they stand out is all. New taglist as at April 13th 2024 by audienta @0Some0where0I0BELONG0 @13irth @adaptableLake3534 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousAcres9344 @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @AguaNector6700 @allYou @Amelia2324 @Amelia763 @amiableBunny4016 @AshFox2007 @AstronomySkies @audienta @Avaray @BeautifulCreation999 @BeenAKiwi @bela12345 @BillyJoeBobb @blueScarf9326 @bouncyBreeze44 @BraveAdventurer @BrokenDreamsPalace @BrokenMedic @bubblegumPuppy68 @bumblebee2307 @Bunnylovesyou @CalmRosebud @CaptainTrev @carefulKitten1131 @CaringBrit @charmingSky5972 @Chrissy911666 @Claireolomi @clare7199 @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @communicativeYard2325 @conicha @CoolBeans29 @Crakyz @creativeStrings1531 @crimsonLime6525 @crxxtvfl0w @cueball @cyanPlatypus6370 @DaniAleah156 @Dannc7c @DarkGalaxy55555 @daydreammemories @Deadtiredperson175 @delicatepunk @depressedsatellite1452 @diligentDime8651 @DinaElwy @domesticEmerald50s @Eitas @emotional232023 @emotionalTalker2260 @emylly @FallenAngel0128 @Feathersfall @FigureskatingEquestrian @Fireskye13 @Fleggles @fluien @forcefulFriend4768 @Gagaintheroom @gentleLand5245 @Ghxstie @goldenSpruce1512 @Grandmaof10 @Greenchoice1 @gregariousBeing5071 @Grits1910 @helpfulLion92 @hillsideblues @honestpanda81 @HonestWarrior6624 @HopeNChayil @HumanPersonThingy @Iamwhoiamwhoami @IceCream4IceCream @iloveyouxx @IndigoWhisper @InfinityandBeyond23 @inventiveOrange1313 @Itisbailey @jcqlinshots @Journey144 @jovialButterfly6752 @jr50 @Judy7 @jupitermatilde @JustSmilingThruHell @Kekesea11 @Kickiree @Kimmkimm @kindTurtle3738 @Kunoichi91Warrior @LightofWorld @LillithHolly @Lilly28 @lilmissjaded @lionsaether @littleHuman9247 @littleOtter1342 @LordFireStorm71 @lovehummingbirdsCindy @LovelyOrangeJuice @LoveMyMoonflowers @lowkeyem1001 @Lubo123 @Luchelle @lyricalAngel70 @Marigold357 @maya6548 @mcooper7583 @Meenagirl @Mellietronx @mish3l @MistyMagic @mkaitx @Mooglethefluffy @MunchieTaters @MVObserver @mytwistedsoul @navyMango2804 @neatBlueberry3608 @neonDog3649 @neonOwl3442 @NevaehRose @Nolanhm @NoneTheWiser @nonethewiser @notmyselftoday @Novelwriter @npos25 @oceancruiser48 @Oceanwaves16 @OffDutySeraph @OneErased @OneWithSugar @ottersngiggles @parkey @Parvlakin @PatienceImpatiens @pencilmarks @Petrichor2000 @Philowl @Pidgeymon @PinkestOctopus @politeBunny7572 @practicalIdeal2007 @purpleWheel873 @QuietLotus @rainbow3140 @Randomperson453 @RansviewTheWizard @raspberry563 @ReallyRuth @Rebekahwriter13 @Redhawk6547 @Redirecting @redmark @reliablePeach8464 @Rosa9570 @SafeSpace1776 @SapphireSoul @SarahAlaina15 @scarletPear1945 @selfdisciplinedTiger5523 @sensitiveShade5337 @ShapeshiftSystem @shellofashell @shiningDay80 @Silverviolets @sincereThinker3571 @sleepingd0gg0 @SmileSravani @SnippyHam @sofiamartino18 @SoftForestHSP77 @SoulSupporter102 @StarlightSystemDID @stickercollection @Storyhymns1234 @straightforwardSkies7721 @Summer899 @SynSavory @Taylorz27 @tealOak8933 @teenytinyturtle @The0Vetoed0System @TheAutumnWitch @TheFisherKing @ThisIsLogan @ThreadbareThinker @Tinywhisper11 @TransparentPuzzle @turquoiseHemlock900 @Turtlegrrrl8 @u1146 @underapinetree @Understandingempath @UndomesticGoddess @unique73 @uniqueDaisy @veeceebee @Verysadperson101 @Vivikun9 @WarriorHeartsSystem @weepingwillow5489 @WelcomeToChat @wontwakewontsleep @WorkingitThrough2 @Worrior22Warrior @Writersworld @WriteToHeal42 @xandia @xmoonsie16x0
My gramma my best friend passed away
by Mikkimouser96
Last post
May 26th
...See more The last almost 4 years i was taking care of my sick gramma non stop and this past september i sadly had to say goodbye to her it was one of the hardest things i had to do in my life. The last year alone i watched her going from the strongest lady i knew to as sick as she was. I got baptized in august and i know i might be overthinking it but i think it was something she was waiting for. From the day i got baptized to the day she went into the hospital she declined so fast. While she was in the hospital before she passed her oncology doctor told us he didnt expect her to make it to september as she only had 3-6 months to live. she outlived the 6 months and when they to her to the pallitive floor they were giving her 3 weeks. She lived 5 days after they gave her the 3 weeks. This loss is one of the hardest losses for me cause i was with her all my life she raised me. Losing her was like losing a parent she was pretty much my mom. I feel so lost without her. 
Family Estrangement
by straightforwardKite9459
Last post
April 21st
...See more I recently stopped communicating with my parents and siblings. Although, I think it’s for the best, the pain and void it has left me in is hard to deal with.
Destroyed My Car And My Livelihood
by LifeSucksBigThyme
Last post
November 2nd, 2023
...See more I hydroplaned on a bend a few days ago, and went straight into a gaurdrail. I'm not injured in any significant way, but I've been relying on this car as my sole income (doordash) for three years. The car is totaled and I only have liability insurance, so i actually have to pay to have the car taken. I just feel dead inside now. I loved that car so much.
Being Fired at my First Job & University Life (Big Ball of Mess)
by TheEdster69
Last post
August 28th, 2023
...See more Hello, first time poster. I've heard about this site before, from an old therapist. I got fired from my only job, but I decided to resign instead, when I was 18, back in 2016 (So, I'm 25 now), and it's still weighing heavily on my mind. I went through a phase of a year just being traumatized over the loss of the all my connections from work, my loss of income, and that I believed that I was a failure. I told my family about me being fired, and they weren't really supportive towards me at all. They suggested I enter university upon the persuasion that I'd receive money while in University from government for being in full-time studies. I told them i wanted to go to upgrading highschool, since my highschool marks weren't the best, and I thought I could see friends, and hopefully be in a more positive situation overall, but they insisted because "I could be ahead of my friends academically" as they put it. I agreed because I didn't want to lose money that I would receive, but wasn't totally in it, so I ended up with a horrible abysmal transcript, and I'm still here. I didn't look for work the first year and half because of the rigors of university, and the general stress I felt regarding taking classes, and balancing the family troubles and lack of emotional support they gave me. But, I applied at some places, and didn't get any phone calls. I kept applying at places, even while depressed and anxious, and was too anxious to sought counseling support from the university, even though I sought it previously while still in highschool. I wasn't medicated until 2020. I never got any phone calls back and never really tried to fix it because of my dire situation until recently this year. I have been medicated, I'm going through counseling and therapy, and my family is seeking family therapy for their issues regarding it all. Yet, I still feel traumatized by my old manager's face, personality and overall demeanor, and every time I hand a resume to a new hiring manager, or even when I get interviews (rarely) I still feel very anxious and can imagine his face upon the new hiring managers and that I believe I'll just end up being dumb, and being fired again. I don't know how to get over this, and address this to the point where I feel positive and confident that I can impress another employer to hire me so I can make a steady income again. All my income is from disability, stocks, government payments as mentioned above, and federal payments that the government enacted to help Canadians. I just want to be happy again, and being able to work meaningfully, and make a steady income again, but I feel unsupported at home (parents), and I just always have a tendency to negatively spiral back due to lack of stable friendships where they're supportive. Thank you for reading.
My kids
by lovingSummer7993
Last post
August 1st, 2023
...See more August 26 2019 my two daughters were taken away by cps I found out week before I was pregnant. April 3 2020 I gave birth to my son and kept him for 8months but Dec 1 2020 he was taken due to my meth addiction I started the day I lost my girls. Their adoption is finalized so they aren't able to come back. The guilt and grief is eating me alive. I don't know how to move on with life and I know I need to for them when they are older and come looking for me. The pain has consumed me and my whole life. I want them back I wish I could fix this I find no reason to carry on
Death of all I want
by GuadalupeHM
Last post
July 25th, 2023
...See more (Sorry for my english, I will do my best) Hi, two years ago died my mom of cancer. That was very traumatic because the guy who was her couple didnt make the decision that she wanted and now dont let me see my sisters (i am from another dad) Also, the last new year died my dog, he was really special for me. Today I dream with my dog At first time I only focus on my work, but at the end I was really stressed and axious. Now I dont know what I am feeling, I only wanna sleep and I usually sleep nearly 12 hours a day. I dont wanna do nothing, but I do. I dont know why I am here writing, I guess I am hoping someone else who has passed something like this and be right. If someone knows what can I do I wait your answers- Thanks for the space ♥
loss of a sibling
by woffordt
Last post
May 2nd, 2023
...See more honestly. I don’t really have much to say except what helps you with grief. I feel okay sometimes and then other times I feel like I’m losing it. not really sure what has helped you all, but any ideas would help. I lost my 15 year old brother to suicide 2 months ago.
Hello, I am sad to be here
by oliveSugar4693
Last post
April 10th, 2023
...See more On January 16 my younger brother took his life after a swift, severe break with reality. It was completely unexpected, and his actions were not discovered until January 19. He died alongside his beloved dog. I’m looking for other trauma survivors to have semi-regular chats with about struggles with accepting my new life without my best friend in life.
Confusion & Memory Loss from Suicide of Nephew
by dogmommy87
Last post
April 7th, 2023
...See more My nephew took his own life in late October and I am really struggling. I feel like I am handling things much worse than those around me. The confusion and memory loss that I’m experiencing is almost scary. I’m in a griefshare group and it helps but the sadness just comes in waves. 😢
my bf died 2 years ago, and i still having nightmares about his death
by iwantacoffee2009
Last post
April 5th, 2023
...See more when i was 12, in the middle of the pandemic, one normal day in the morning, suddenly, my mom answers the phone, and after the calling she told me that my best friend samuel was at the hospital in the UCI, and he haved 2 heat fails in 3 days, and at the 4th day, my grandma told me that his heart stopped 35 mins ago, and i couldnt believed, i fainted, and in these 2 years that it passed from his death, my family dont want to let me go to the graveyard to visit him...and close the cicle...
The Woman Who Didn't Get to Grieve
by fruityPond7887
Last post
March 30th, 2023
...See more *Trigger Warning: Suicide* "After many years of accompanying clients through episodes of loss and grief [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/grief], all the while experiencing significant losses in my own life, I’ve come to see grieving as an art we need to get good at to experience a rewarding life. Much of what people are taught about grief in our American culture, (and in the cultures impacted by our values) is likely not to be true, or at least misleading, causing much suffering in its wake. This is what happened to the woman who didn't get to grieve. The conversation happened online recently after a presentation where I mentioned something about the "Art of Grieving." An elderly woman spoke up and said, somewhat matter-of-factly, “I’ve never done that. I’ve never grieved.” Given that she had obviously had a long life, I asked her to say more about that. She began naming situations where, in her mind, no grieving had taken place. When my parents died, I lived far from home, so I wasn’t involved in much that went on. My siblings handled everything. With my first husband, I had divorced [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/divorce] him by the time he died. With my second husband, since I was his second wife and we had no children, when he died, his first family swooped in and took charge of everything. I attended the funerals, of course but that was all. “There’s a name for that,” I told her. It’s called disenfranchised grief. It sounds like you were treated as though your sorrow didn’t count since you weren’t in your parents’ life closely when they died, and since you were a divorced wife and later, a second wife. I see that a lot was missing for you by not being able to grieve with members of your community. Having had her sorrow validated, she continued naming losses. “I had a brother who was estranged from the family, and when he died of suicide [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/suicide], we didn’t mourn his passing.” “There are a couple of names for that,” I said. First off, we don’t have a name for losing a sibling [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/family-dynamics]. When our parents die, we are orphans. When we lose a spouse, we are widows or widowers, and when we lose a child, people say we are bereaved. In Sanskrit, there is a word for this which means it is against the natural order of things. But the sorrow of losing a sibling, a person you are genetically closest to, and who may hold significant memories with you of a shared childhood [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/child-development], that loss is not fully appreciated by others who have not experienced it. So, I would call this traumatic [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/trauma] grief, which in this instance you have lived through on two counts–your brother was estranged from your family, a significant loss in itself, and then, his taking his own life is another occasion ripe with taboo. These are losses often not spoken of. It’s difficult to grieve something or someone we can’t speak about. Speaking about the notion that there are things we need to grieve, which we are discouraged from speaking about seemed to elicit one more loss. Moving closer to the camera, the woman said, “And in my own family, my daughter has not spoken to me for two years. And I have no idea why or what I might have done.” “It’s not in the grief literature,” I told her, “But the younger generation has a name for that, and it’s called ghosting [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/ghosting]. My opinion on that is that it fluctuates between unkindness and cruelty." By sharing her experiences with me, she was given the first opportunity to express her grief through storytelling, an art form for grieving. As we wrapped up the call, she told me later, “Thank you for giving that to me.” Our online meeting ended before I had a chance to say what comes to me now, “I’m sorry for your many cumulative losses and especially for the secondary losses of not being able to experience support while you grieved them.” If you or someone you love is contemplating suicide, seek help immediately. For help 24/7, dial 988 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, or reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741. To find a therapist, visit the Psychology Today Therapy Directory [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists]." *There are other kinds of grief besides the normal "passing away and grieving the person you loved" grief. There is grief when someone you haven't talked to in years passes away. There is grief when you lose a job or when you don't achieve something you were hoping for. There is the grief of "ghosting;" when someone cuts you out of your life cold turkey and you may or may not be sure why. All of these are valid and they all are valid situations that can be grieved to any extent. I have had friendships end out of the blue and those situations are definitely ones where I have grieved because they meant a lot to me. I find it hard to get closure when I don't know the reasoning as to why a relationship has ended, but that's okay. We may not always get the answers we are looking for. What's important to remember is that your feelings are valid and you can grieve however way works best for you. Have you ever experienced disenfranchised grief, traumatic grief, or ghosting? How did that differ from the more mainstream grief you may have experienced?* #Trauma #Grief #Loss #Suffering Please find the full article at Psychology Today! [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-art-of-grieving/202303/the-woman-who-didnt-get-to-grieve] If you liked this article and are looking for more information on grief, you may like this article [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/WhatNottoSaytoYourGrievingFriend_290830/] or this one! [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/Wecanthavechangewithoutloss_289676/]
5 Ways for Adults to Heal Their Childhood Grief
by comfortableNight4463
Last post
March 24th, 2023
...See more * Recognize that grief is a journey, not an event. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix or "getting over" your history. Some traumas we get over, some we manage, and the journey to doing so ebbs and flows. You might have months or even years where you feel okay with your history, only to see a father tossing a ball with his son in a park, and immediately fill with sadness and never having had that experience with your father. * Validate your truth. Childhood survivors of trauma have often been invalidated, dismissed, and shamed. Society tells them to get over it, leave the past behind, and dismiss their pain with statements such as, "we all struggle sometimes; it's important to forgive," or "they are your parents," as if that somehow absolves them of causing pain. * Work on increasing your understanding of yourself. Understand that not all experiences will be comfortable for you and that that is okay. I have many clients who are unable to participate in holiday gatherings due to being triggered by music, food, and other memories. Understand that you are reacting now as if you are still back then. The family at the park has not done anything to you and did not contribute to your lack of a stable home in your childhood. While the grief and feelings are natural, * Try not to compare your life to social media. Remember- social media paints a different picture. People post only the best moments, where everyone is smiling and happy. You did not see the fight that happened after, the drunk uncle passed out beforehand, or perhaps the mess they argued about the next morning. * Maintain healing throughout. Just as someone with diabetes must monitor their blood sugar levels, our mental health should not be ignored. Healing involves grieving and then moving forward with increased understanding. If you find that your grief is preventing you from living a fulfilling life, or causing symptoms of depression or anxiety, seek the support of a licensed therapist to help you with your healing. Read the complete article available at Psychology Today! [https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/invisible-bruises/202205/5-ways-for-adults-to-heal-their-childhood-grief] Reflection: What are your thoughts on the article? #Grief #Loss #Healing #MentalHealth If you liked this article, you might also like, " [https://www.7cups.com/forum/GeneralSupport_28/TheGriefLossForum_50/Howtodealwithgrief_266008/]How to deal with grief [https://www.7cups.com/forum/GeneralSupport_28/TheGriefLossForum_50/Howtodealwithgrief_266008/]" [https://www.7cups.com/forum/GeneralSupport_28/TheGriefLossForum_50/Howtodealwithgrief_266008/] Also check out, " [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/SurvivingThoseAwfulFirstFewDaysofGrief_273463/]Surviving Those Awful First Few Days of Grief [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/SurvivingThoseAwfulFirstFewDaysofGrief_273463/]" [https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/SurvivingThoseAwfulFirstFewDaysofGrief_273463/]

Trauma Support

Please note: blue text is hyperlinked.

Welcome to Trauma Support! We aim to provide a safe, empowering, inclusive, supportive and proactive community for trauma survivors to have the opportunity to begin healing from our experiences, in a non-judgmental environment. We also want to help spread awareness about trauma and its impact on individuals' lives while validating the members of this community, reducing the isolation many people feel. Therefore, trauma survivors as well as loved ones of them or people who want to learn about trauma are welcome here. 

What are the different forum topics for Trauma Support?

Bluelight, Medical & Veterans Trauma Support: Support for those who experience or witness trauma at work

Check-Ins & Prompts:  Regular check-ins and prompts, created by our leadership team

Child & Domestic Abuse: For people who have experienced child abuse, domestic abuse or even both

Coping with Attachment Difficulties: Help and support for people with attachment difficulties

Creativity Corner: A creative space for poetry, art, and healing and recovery quotes

Dissociation & Related Disorders: A place to discuss your struggles with dissociation and how it relates to your trauma

Introductions & Welcomes: Are you new to the Trauma Community? Share a little about yourself!

Journaling Stories: This area is for sharing your story or creating a diary

PTSD & Complex Trauma: Share stories and seek support for PTSD and complex PTSD

Resources: Share and seek resources here

Sexual Assault and Sexual Abuse: A place for those affected by sexual assault and sexual abuse

Trauma through Bullying: A place to seek support around the issue of suffering traumatic experiences as a result of bullying

Trauma through War: This section is there for people who have been impacted by war

Traumatic Loss: For survivors of traumatic loss of any kind

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable to). 

Alternatively, you may wish to join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

In addition to that, you can take part in discussions or become a host for them.

Finally, you could also have a look at the posts of our trauma support sub-community writing team or even join it. 

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our taglist to be notified for important posts.

Discussions: Here you can find out when the next discussion takes place.

Trauma Support Room Access: Find out how you can access the trauma support room here. The room is open during the discussions and on Sundays.

Masterpost: Within this thread, you can find a number of educative and supportive posts that our writing team has written.

Leadership Team: In this thread, you can get to know our leadership team.

Trauma Support FAQ

Are there any sub-community specific guidelines that we need to adhere to? 

- Yes, all sub-community specific guidelines can be found below and should be followed in addition to the general forum guidelines.

How can I give feedback or ideas to the leadership team?

- You can either pm audienta directly, use this form to contact the forum leaders, or this form for general feedback about the trauma support sub-community.

Help... I still have a question! 

You can ask your questions in this thread and someone will respond to you as soon as possible.

Community Guidelines

These are the Trauma Support Sub-Community Guidelines, which have been drawn up in addition to the 7 Cups main guidelines and are specific for the Trauma Support community:

• Uphold and comply with the 7 Cups main guidelines
  • Respect everyone, members and listeners alike
  • Do not discourage/be unsupportive/blame/judge one another for their past
  • No graphic, in depth descriptions or pictures which could be triggering for others - in forums, chat and support session
  • Please always add a trigger warning if you believe your thread could be potentially triggering/harmful and/or contains one of the topics on this list. Also, please add a short topic description to the trigger warning (e.g. "Trigger Warning: Domestic Abuse) and if you're in a group support chat, wait a moment to see if everyone is comfortable with the topic. If not, agree on a time span during which the person who's not comfortable with the topic leaves the chat. Once they come back after this time span, change the topic.
  • Cursing not permitted and must be asterisked. (It is fine to vent and to express appropriate anger, but as curse words have often been used during abusive and traumatic experiences, we ask members and listeners to asterisk abusive/curse words to avoid triggering and upsetting members where possible and to maintain a respectful environment and to encourage positive and healthy expression of anger.)
  • Forums postings made by listeners and members should be transparent, made in English and should not be blocked out using colouring to disguise content of wording/messages sent between members/listeners, to maintain the safety of all users of the trauma sub community and to ensure all rules are being complied with.
  • Everyone is unique and their experiences are individual to them. Everyone’s experiences and how they think and feel about these are valid. Everyone reacts to traumatic experiences differently. This will be respected and appreciated without judgement.
Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader
Chatroom Moderator
Room Supporter
On Self-Care Break