Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

April 25 - Now Saving Chats For A Year!

Laura April 25th, 2018

Hi Team,

A few months back, we changed how we are saving chats. Read about this update here. You all voted to keep 1-1 chat logs for 1 month. It has become clear that we were deleting messages too soon, many of you let us know that you need more time.

We have updated this to 1 year. All PMs will now save for 1 year!

CitizenErazed April 25th, 2018

@Laura Namsatea🙏

AdJames787 April 25th, 2018

@Laura

Can we get a way to dismiss old conversations that are no longer relevant?

Kanga April 25th, 2018

@AdJames787

On your conversations, there is a little x icon on the right hand side of each conversation. You can use that to hide conversations you don't want to see anymore. You can also ypuse the delete button in the 1-1 chat to remove the messages.

AdJames787 April 26th, 2018

@HeyItsRoo

Thank you. I've tried that, but it only works properly about 59% of the time via mobile.

Kanga April 26th, 2018

@AdJames787

Hmm, that's odd. If it causes you any more trouble I would recommend filling out a bug ticket here.

Best of luck!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn April 30th, 2018

known issue. on mobile it just closes the chat in the app - it does not hide it.

a support request would nudge us to make this better...

lovelyWhisper66 April 25th, 2018

@Laura Oh wow, amazing update! I am sure this will benefit many listeners and members. :D Thanks so much for the post.

Anomalia April 25th, 2018

For those who are concerned about privacy, no one can see your chats except for you and your listener and if you ever want to delete the messages, there is a trash can symbol in the top right of the chat that allows you to permanently delete all messages between you and that person.

Laura OP April 25th, 2018

@Anomalia

Thank you! Yes! Everything is still secure!

RumpleSteeleSkin April 26th, 2018

@Anomalia

Thank you for sharing this as I only want my members to still feel safe and know their stuff is safe💙

Compassionatepeace72 April 25th, 2018

How will we access those chats?

Emily619 April 25th, 2018

@Compassionatepeace72

You can access your PM's by going to your conversations tab smiley

note that it is not retroactive (no deleted messages have been restored)

@Emily619

GuardianAngel77 April 25th, 2018

@Laura

Yay!! Thank you for sharing this information!! Thank you for working

Hard on this!! This is great!!

CloudiWithAChance April 25th, 2018

@Laura Yay! I'm so glad (especially because I have a terrible memory...)

CaringBrit April 25th, 2018

@Laura cheers laura this will help many of us who have had chats n need to read back to remember what we discussed before we have the next ones with them saves time and energy having to be reminded what we discussed

vivelespatates April 25th, 2018

angryangryangry​​​​​​​

April 26th, 2018

Why are you angry?

sad@vivelespatates

kindSoul10 April 26th, 2018

@vivelespatates :D I'm waiting for the announcement that chats will be saved forever to make it easier to recall chats from the past 7 years. :D

vivelespatates April 27th, 2018

The vote was very clear, 39,5% wanted the shorter period possible versus 32,3% for the longer one (which was 6 months and not 1 year).
The main concern was about privacy and safety. it shows how they dont care about what users really want, don't even respect the results of their own survey, so why ask us our opinion if anyway you don't respect it?? Very desapointed and concerned for privacy. Even it frustrates me to know that there is zero consideration for our privacy.

That's not really fair. The winning ideas was tried and has caused a number of problems. The poll was helpful but it hardly represented a large sample of users on the site.

Messages can still be removed by either participant at any time.

@vivelespatates

vivelespatates May 1st, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn 1 year is a serious privacy concern, mainly that is not true that messages can be deleted. we have to click the button multiple times from different devices for that being deleted, and still, im not sure its really deleted for the other part. it doesnt always work. at least the old messages was deleted. the shorter period was great. now i am just very concerned. despite strong passwords and all the actions that i actually can take for protect my account, im not safe that someone else could not use my account someday against my want and then can access to my old conversations. i did regulary try to delete my chats and i did count on the short number of messages for being in trust that my datas and conversations are totally private, it was one thing that we were able to trust about 7cups. and now we are not. very desapointed. i will be a lot more prudent on the kind of things i share on this site. take note that I regulary clear my cookies and cache as well.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn May 1st, 2018

I believe messages that you see after deleting a chat are stored only on that local device. If you can show otherwise, please submit a support request so we can find and fix the underlying bug.

@vivelespatates

kindSoul10 May 1st, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn don't take it personally but since this issues are reported and can be reproduced for sure it's pretty demotivational to get the response to resend a formal bug report. Developers should really keep track of bugs and shouldn't use support tickets as an excuse for not fixing things.

I'm sure you have good intentions but it doesn't make an good impression.

Laura OP May 1st, 2018

@kindSoul10

Thank you for your feedback soul. We are always improving our systems and we hope to continued to that. In the mean time, submitting bug reports for a 2nd time to ensure they are resolved makes sense. I have done this with big companies as well.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn May 4th, 2018

@kindSoul10 - don't worry I don't take it personally. This is my job :D

Since you sound somewhat knowledgeable about bug reporting then you know that a bug report should include steps to reproduce and needs to be verified to track down.

Furthermore, I have a long-standing rapport with @vivelespatates and have frequently gotten help from them in testing or QAing issues and precisely identifying how to reproduce them.

If an existing support request has already specified exact scenarios that's great and we just need to catch up to it. If Vive had already submitted one with such full details they could of course tell me themselves and if you have made such a submission then that's great to and just let me know. I will look for the report and try to ascertain its status.

We do of course keep track of bugs (as best we can -- not sure if you know this entire site is built and maintained by two full-time developers and occasional add'l contract help) and I sure hope it didn't sound like I was trying to make excuses!

I'm sorry I made a poor impression on you. Cheers!

kindSoul10 May 4th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn I know it's not easy and it needs brave people like you to fix those nasty bugs.

Thanks for the challenge and keep it up!

AffyAvo April 25th, 2018

I'm really happy to hear about this! For those who are concerned about privacy they always have had and still have the optionn to delete. I think a delete all button would be a useful addition though.

vivelespatates April 27th, 2018

@AffyAvo this button doesnt work properly all the time. when i change device, i still can see the messages that i deleted with this button?? so no this option doesnt work, and we have no real way to protect privacy and confidentiality.

AffyAvo April 27th, 2018

@vivelespatates That's something that should be fixed quickly! Did you get any info from the support team about it?

When you delete messages in a chat they are removed from the server.

If after that you still find messages in another device that is because they are stored locally on the device, but they are no longer available for reading by the other person unless they are coincidentally still stored on their device.

@vivelespatates

RideaRainbow April 25th, 2018

We badly needed this update .......

ItsPreeti April 25th, 2018

1 year surprise

QueerChristianTeen April 25th, 2018

@Laura

yay! thanks!

JBlue April 26th, 2018

Does this work the same way from either the listener or member side? I guess what I'm really wondering is this: if a member deletes the saved messages, does that also delete them for the listener? Or does any such action only affect what I see regardless of my role (i.e. as a listener or member, I've merely "decluttered" my chat log, while the other party retains whatever messages they choose)?

JBlue April 26th, 2018

Nevermind - I found the answer in the other thread (either party can wipe it for both)

April 26th, 2018

@JBlue

Good question... thank you for asking that

CoraleaDalrympleLPC April 26th, 2018

What about for therapists where we are required to keep records for so much time? Do we need to print it out and save for our records?

Yes, anything you need to save should be copied and pasted into a document you control. Much like snapchat, our core experience deliberately expires content for privacy & confidentiality reasons.

@CoraleaDalrympleLPC

GoddessOfBlossoms April 26th, 2018

That's good to know. As what I had experienced, I am really wondering why my conversations with the persons I am chatting are lost (I didn't know about the 1-month policy then). Now, it will be easy for me to contact them again. :)