Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Distortion 8. Labelling

Hope November 29th, 2023

Hi everyone! I hope you are doing well. Time for another cognitive distortion post. Today we will be talking about ‘Labeling’. Labeling can be seen as a more extreme form of overgeneralization. As the name suggests, it involves assigning labels to yourself, others, and events.

Examples of labeling:

• Classifying someone as innocent or sneaky based on one interaction. 

• Thinking you are stupid for not doing well in a specific field 

• Believing someone else is not competent based on one or two skills alone. 

Like most cognitive distortions, it will at times overlap with other distortions such as generalization and binary thinking (black-and-white thinking). What makes it stand out is the focus on labels. 

What we can learn from this distortion is to pause when we put a label on ourselves, someone else, or something, especially a negative label, and truly reflect on the validity of that label. Is your friend really awful for ignoring you or is he struggling to cope with his changed environment and as a result unable to respond to you?

You may think why you would want to stop labeling. Because it paints a false picture of reality and stops you from seeing things as they are and many times makes you more miserable than you have to be. When we label someone, something, or even ourselves, it really disrupts our peace and at times makes it hard for us to appreciate people and even our own selves. People and situations are often too complex to fit into these labels.

A better way of seeing things is to label behaviors rather than individuals, this way you can actually provide constructive feedback or even work on fixing those behaviors within you. If you believe you suck at making friends, that's not helpful but if you reflect on it and realize you have trouble starting conversations, you can now work on it without feeling poorly about yourself. It's also more specific and therefore more actionable.

Let us again practice reframing our thoughts! For this distortion, it is helpful to reflect on why you gave it the label and what facts/observations can oppose the label so you can see the whole picture
image_1701254180.png

We will use the same technique we have been using in other posts:
📢Points of Action:

1. Find out your personal hit rate (how accurate your negative assumptions are), don’t just assume, look into your past and get an accurate percentage. (You can skip this if you recall yours from our last posts)

2. Counter your negative thoughts with counter-positive thoughts based on logic/facts/experience. 

Reflect on a time when you labeled something or someone and later changed your mind. Please share with us! 

Hope OP November 29th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul @kylersartpace @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @Sensitivemom83 @TaylorTheFrog @smolLITTLEpotato @ty47 @exuberantBlackberry9105 @yourstrulykayee @PatienceImpatiens @kenzolena @dstaraster @SafeSpace1986 @DarkerPlaces @AnnaSilverberg @AvyIsKing @Amy @SummerNightsxx @mish3l @tidyHickory3283 @longlostlety @spicyavocado3788 @chazfmg @Catnip777 @Clarisse29 @Debbiluv @Trosclair03 @SimonNocedaStevenson @Yellowcircle1647 @Sasher @Hopeandforgiveness @BeCreative1967 @HachiBee @Trosclair03 @lyricalAngel70 @janepauley @fawkescare12 @Emmathegreat768 @KateDoskocilova @ljoe @cyanVase4070 @ExhuberantTalker9747 @Oscarh1101 @MentallySassy @HamiltrashRose085 @Keith22534 @ItsReganingRain

You can join or leave the tag list here. 

tidyHickory3283 November 29th, 2023

@Hope

There was this one assignment which at first glance looked easy to understand but when I really started working on it, I couldn’t understand as to what to do and how to do it so I thought it was a me problem and well I felt dumb (and whatnot). So I talked with others and found out that they didn’t know too so we all talked with our classmates (like I talked to some and then they talked to some so it was kinda like a whole endless chain) so that we could get various point of views and tried to make a single understanding out of it all and then I finally finished it and submitted it on time.

I am glad I reached out instead of just letting the negative thoughts take over me

Hope OP November 30th, 2023

@tidyHickory3283

That is a good example! A great reminder that things are not always as negative as they seem!

tidyHickory3283 November 30th, 2023

@Hope

Right!

communicativePond1728 November 29th, 2023

@Hope

Someone was being super aggressive and tone deaf regarding someone's emotions. It was easy to label them as straight toxic and get riled.

I challenged them with a reflective question and insight, and they were pretty quick to respect that and apologize.

Damage was still done which wasn't *** cool; it's beyond annoying seeing that kind of behaviour still these days and who knows how much of that was just lip service on their part.

But staying preset and mindful will allow one to see the bigger picture and focus on the good while working on the bad with a more positive attitude, optimism, joy and gratitude.

Hope OP November 30th, 2023

@communicativePond1728

It looks like despite their challenging behavior, you tried to help them see things differently which is all we can do sometimes.  

communicativePond1728 November 30th, 2023

@Hope

It's just not enough :( Nike says just do it, and Yoda says do or do not, there is no try. I'm a cultural and social failure.

sweetpotato300 November 29th, 2023

Thank you for helping me put things into perspective ✨

communicativePond1728 November 29th, 2023

@Hope

There was another person who was being super pompous and assumptive, negating everything I said and invalidating my voice so they could be right and the winner.

They were basically working from a toxic toolkit.

Underneath all their hot air they're probably just a scared person who hasn't learned how to interact with others in an effective way at all.

Doesn't mean I'm going to ever speak to them again or not have my boundaries up though.

MindfulJourney22 November 30th, 2023

@Hope thank you for this informative post!

exuberantBlackberry9105 December 8th, 2023

@Hope Thank you for this post, Hope. This distortion really makes a lot of sense to me, because it it something i do a lot. I like how you point out why we'd want to stop labelling, it does kinda paint a false picture and stops us from seeing the full picture.

Seeing the first example of "school sucks" reminds me of so much because i always feel that school sucks. The counter though provided isnt applicable for me, sadly. Yes, classes in school do stress me out, but i dont have any friends to meet in school. I cant really think of anything about school that i appreciate. I mean, i appreciate the education i get, but i dont think school is necessary to get education.

I think part of the reason we label things lies in the language we have learnt to use. I mean, if someone asks how was your day, and i say that it was awful, i am labeling my day as awful. But it's pretty rare for me to have a 100% awful where absolutely nothing good happened. It does happen sometimes, but not every day. Usually, there is at least 1 good minute out of the 24 hours in a day. But i have no idea of what i could say instead.

I'm not too sure about this, but any time we're calling something good or bad or any of their synonyms, are we labelling? Like if we call someone an amazing person, is that labelling too? Also, can there be times when labelling is actually okay? I mean, i could say that pollution sucks, and i cant really find a counter thought for that. I'm a bit confused.

Reflecting on a time when i labeled someone and later changed your mind, i often think of my parents as terrible people. But when i think about it, they do do some absolutely terrible things that tear me apart, but they arent necessarily terrible people. Another instance is when i label myself as a bad person. I may do some very very very bad things but i do have some good qualities, even if my parents tell me that i dont. Sometimes i think of some people as stupid based on one or maybe a few interactions, but later i realise that i was wrong.

considerateWalker6214 December 9th, 2023

@exuberantBlackberry9105 i think its on breaking down things. Sometimes words doesn't break like we say you are amazing we often misunderstood that all the things in us are amazing rather they were complementing on some parts. language tries to label things but its understood that it is not an ultimate tool to express

exuberantBlackberry9105 December 9th, 2023

@considerateWalker6214 I think that makes sense. If someone says "you are amazing", it doesnt mean everything in me is amazing, but they are talking about some things. And if i say "my day was awful", it doesn't mean that my day was completely awful but rather many parts of my day were awful. And that totally makes sense. So if i say that XYZ is a bad person, does that mean i am saying that some things about XYZ are bad? That would certainly be what i mean to say, but we still dont consider it okay to call someone a bad person for some reason. Honestly, i am confused.....

@exuberantBlackberry9105 if someone is considered bad by you, it may be because they are following a negative ideology or engaging in harmful behavior. If they continue down this path, their positive behaviors may transform into negative ones. Therefore, WHEN WE LABEL SOMEONE AS BAD, IT'S BASED ON THE POTENTIALFOR THEM TO WORSEN IN THE FUTURE. For example, if a person smokes for the first time, we may not label them as bad, but if they continue, some people will.  

@considerateWalker6214 I sometimes call my mother a bad person because she can get verbally abusive. I dont call my father a bad person, but i do call him a bad father sometimes. By the way, my father has been smoking for the past 41 years (he started when he was 20), but that's not even part of the reason why i call him a bad father. I call him that because he hardly spends any time with me, he's never really there for me, he just doesn't play much of a role in my life other than earning money.

Neither of my parents may worsen in the future, they might just continue to be the way they are but something i still call them bad.

But the biggest problem is when i call myself bad. I am expected to study most of the time i am home. But instead, i spend most of the time on the phone, so much time on 7cups. My parents dont know about this, but i still feel guilty. I secretly use makeup every day and nobody knows but i feel guilty because I'm not supposed to do it. I disrespect people and i feel bad about it sometimes. I've lied to about so many thing. I have done sooo many terrible things in just these 13 years of my life. Who knows if i will continue down this path and if i might get worse in the future. What if my positive behavoiurs transform into negative ones? I just feel like such a bad person. I try to tell myself otherwise, but i really cant help it right now.

@exuberantBlackberry9105 okay bad person means who will not come out of the shell .  its a same statement but in opposite style. 

@exuberantBlackberry9105 are you 13 year old? 

@considerateWalker6214 Come out of what shell?

Yes, i'm 13 years old. Why?