Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Making 7 Cups Sustainable

GlenM September 22nd, 2015

7 Cups is a very unique organization. We dont necessarily do things in what might be considered normal or typical ways. Instead, we tend to stay close to our community, keep our options open, learn, and evolve as we grow. We believe that this model allows us to discover the path that will most directly lead to us fulfilling our mission.

Some companies would have started with revenue right at the beginning. We didnt because we thought that focusing on income at the start would force us down the wrong path. Our vision is to be the emotional support system for the Internet. This is a hard goal. Focusing on money right out of the gates would have made it an impossible goal. We knew that and instead poured our energy into figuring out more important things.

Well, now that weve been on this journey for 2 years, it is now time to address the revenue issue. We have to take steps to make sure that 7 Cups cups exists and, indeed, thrives for years and years to come. This is not something novel to 7 Cups. Every organization has to address the income issue. It doesnt matter if you are a for-profit or a non-profit. Regardless, you have to generate income one way or another if you want to continue to survive and grow.

Fortunately, we are not recreating the wheel here. I wrote in another post that the organizations I feel that we have the most in common with are the Samaritans and Alcoholics Anonymous. We share many similarities, including: we are volunteer organizations, we help millions of people, and people get help and then give back as listeners/counselors/sponsors. These organizations have had unparalleled success in reaching people and accomplishing a tremendous amount of good with very little resources. Theyve also been around for decades. In the future, Id love for someone to be able to say the same thing about 7 Cups. However, in order to be counted in their company, we have to make sure that 7 Cups is sustainable.

We can look further to these organizational models for guidance. The Samaritans are sustainable because they raise $11,000,000 in donations each and every year. That sounds like a lot, but I actually believe it is pretty minimal considering all the good that they accomplish. We can learn from them here and create our own ways for people to donate to 7 Cups. We are still fleshing out the details. Itll be 100% optional. If people believe in our mission/vision and want to support what we are doing, then well give them the option of making a recurring monthly donation.

We can also look to for for-profit models for guidance. Software companies generate income by selling products to consumers or selling products to organizations. At this point in time it makes more sense for us to sell products to non-profits, companies, universities, and health systems. One product weve been working on is the student support system. In this model, we create a little 7 Cups island that a university can use to scale support for their students. They brand it and recruit listeners from their school to listen to other students at their school that are going through a hard time. The plan is to have a free version and a premium version. The premium version would include things like access to data/reporting, single sign-on, paths for specific issues, and custom branding. This same model works for health systems and nonprofits. We havent walked too far down this path, but there are some positive signs and some indication that we can use this as one stream of revenue to keep 7 Cups sustainable. Ill write more on this in a separate post this week.

Im not at all interested in advertising or any other options that would tax the system or make it harder for people to seek help. Streams of revenue will always be evaluated in the context of our mission. If it inhibits us or makes it harder to reach our mission, then we will not consider it as a viable option. If it helps make us sustainable and helps us reach our mission, then well consider it a viable option. To be clear, 7 Cups will always be free and accessible to all.

In reviewing the above, we see that we can learn from and incorporate elements from both the non-profit and for-profit worlds. 7 Cups as a social enterprise for-profit straddles both worlds. I set 7 Cups up this way intentionally, because I want us to be robust and antifragile. If your organization only accepts donations, then you can be significantly impacted when there is an economic downturn like a recession or depression. People simply give less during these times. If we were 100% dependent on donations, then that would threaten our organization if we were unable to keep donations coming in at a reliable rate. On the other hand, if your organization only sells products, then you can only survive as long as people continue to buy your products. If 7 Cups were 100% dependent on selling products, then our organization would come under threat if we were unable to sell enough products. The model I have outlined here incorporates both elements to increase the chances of 7 Cups surviving and thriving in both good and bad times.

We will be releasing the new design very soon. Once that is live and working well, well roll out some of the above options that Ive discussed. Look for another post soon on the white label version I discussed where any organization can launch their own support system. Thanks!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 24th, 2015

@mutter3, it seems to me that what @glenM is discussing above is entirely consistent with "No set dues, no required amount to attend. No one is turned away based on ability to pay."

Are you reading something differently?

PoliteOcean September 24th, 2015

Yes Kite makes a great point also in suggesting being able to know what gender you are speaking to in addition to the age grouping that is already being discussed. Often that is one of the first things that is asked of me by most female members. They want to know if they are speaking to a female only. And want to feel safe doing that. I know I also as a member, would prefer to know who I am speaking with on certain topics. I don't feel it would be too revealing of our information to at be able to share what our genders are for our valuable members who want to know. Kite has really shared some fabulous ideas in this thread. I hope they are considered.

yes, we think as long as it is optional whether one wants to share this information or include it in search criteria, that it would be good to make that possible.

Ari4 September 24th, 2015

Just wanted to add that I would definently buy a 7cups tshirt, it would be great to support the site and also be able to let ppl who ask about it know that it exists!

I want a 7 Cups sticker for my laptop... still we'd have to outsource it all, hmm...

Product fulfillment of dry goods is not really core to our mission.

KnighTerrA September 24th, 2015

Maybe if the listeners got treated with equal leniency they would stick around and everyone would feel more human

mutter3 September 25th, 2015

What exactly do you need money for? Who would decide how this money is spent. Are your books going to be open to all for inspection. What about liability???

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 26th, 2015

that's a lot of questions.

money is needed to pay for expenses, equipment, salaries, and other overhead costs associated with any business.

as @glenM is the founder and leader here ultimately the buck stops with him so to speak on any such business decisions.

I don't understand the liability question.

mutter3 September 27th, 2015

Only 4 questions. Not that many. So let me make sure I understand, Glen alone will decide how all revenue is spent. You didn't answer my question about accounting. The liability issue is this site is represented as a site for"counseling & therapy", therefore you are liable if something happens. For example one of you listeners tells a guest to commit suicide and they do, you are liable. I'm sure you are not pleased with my questions but I believe it is important to ask about these issues.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 27th, 2015

ah, I see where you're coming from.

no, I don't agree with any of your premises.

I don't believe you see where I'm coming from. All I have done is ask questions. I have not attacked anyone, haven't been rude. I have only been curious and tried to look at the changes from a different perspective. I do wonder why my questions upset you.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 28th, 2015

I'm not upset!

i simply didn't agree with some of the assumptions underlying your questions. I think Glen addressed those topics elsewhere in the thread.

GlenM OP September 27th, 2015

@mutter3, Yes, I am responsible for how the money is spent and ultimately for all other aspects of the site. There is always a person in any organization, especially a small one like 7 cups, that makes purchasing decisions. That is how organizations work. As Krink indicated, the money will be spent to keep the service running; it'll help to cover staff and IT costs.. As you can imagine, there are a lot of costs involved with running a service like 7 Cups.

I answered your question about liability on the other thread where you brought it up. The suggestion there was that we had not thought through liability issues. I answered you that indeed we had spent a lot of time thinking about liability issues. We consulted with a number of attorneys before even starting 7 cups to make sure that we could address liability issues in a strong manner. We implemented those suggestions and that is what you see now at 7 Cups. In terms of differentiating between listening and online therapy, you are correct, we do talk about both listening and online therapy, because we have both listeners and therapists on the site. In the near future, we'll be adding a therapist directory, so that therapists can found both on 7 cups and off of 7 cups. If you have additional specific liability questions, please PM me.

Krink didn't understand the liability issue. Perhaps this should have been sent to him. I never suggested you hadn't thought about liability issue I only asked if you had considered it. I do understand how companies work. I was curious if you alone ran this company or had a board.Will this company be a 501c or a for profit? I don't believe I have done anything wrong by asking questions. As far as pm'ing you that has proven to be unsuccessful. I am curious why people are upset that I asked questions.Are questions against site rules?? Feel free to message me anytime.

GlenM OP September 27th, 2015

@mutter3 questions are welcome and are often very helpful. However, as you know, questions can be asked in a neutral manner or in a manner that suggests a person isn't really asking a question, but rather implying something. For context, this is what you said in the other thread:

"How will you handle liability issues? You are essentially providing counseling by unlicensed people. One malpractice suit and 7 cups is done. The chat rooms are basically the day room of the psych ward meets the internet. Not trying to be negative but you need to consider this. From what I have read I am very concerned. Things on the surface sound good but have you really thought about some of the underlying issues??

How do you interpret what you wrote?

mutter3 September 28th, 2015

I am a middle aged adult who has worked in the private sector , for non profit oorganizations, have been self employed and started and ran my own nonprofit for 15 years. So I have extensive training in business. I also wrote many grants and was able to secure large sums of money for the 501c organizations. Therefore I was quite curious as to where you were going, and would have different questions than most. I'm sure you understand that communication involves more than just words,especially written words. When you read text you miss out on inflection, facial expressions and body language. I believe you have misunderstood me greatly, as well as misjudged me. When I have something to say I say it very clearly. I have no need to imply anything.Yes, many times chat resembles the day room in a psych unit. Spend some time in chat and I believe this will be very apparant. Look at my history on your site. I believe it speaks for itself. In 18 months I have never been muted and have only received one warning. The question now is where do we go from here?

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 27th, 2015

I didn't understand your question, nor its thrust. I understand what liability means.

Elsewhere in this thread, among other places, @glenM has addressed the topic of why we are not, and do not plan to become, a non-profit (501c3 being one such type of nonprofit in the US).

peacefulWaves54 October 2nd, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

most charities have an annual general meeting in which there's usually a page by the treasurer which lays out what goes in each year and then a breakdown of how it's spent! The web site has to be bought, there's a cost to maintain it, and the redesign and making capacity better won't have been completely free! Be realistic this has to be some peoples full time job! Otherwise everything you see here couldn't exist!

AnxiousStrawberry September 25th, 2015

Not sure if you guys already do this, but could you make stickers of your logo and sell them or hand them out to colleges? It'll spread the awareness of your site like wildfire.
Maybe sell them for a dollar each. You'll get fundings AND spread the site.

I'm relatively new to the site so I'm still finding out about all the nifty things around the page.
I've talked to a few people and I can see that some people may need a sympathy workshop or something.. to better connect with people and to help them out. I'm not sure if you guys already do this with the listeners.
Also, I love that theres an internship type thing for psychology students. I might check into that after I get my bachelor's degree.

EvelyneRose September 25th, 2015

I love your idea! It definitely will help spread information. The only thing I'm not sure of is selling it for a dollar- I know when I was in college, this is not something I'd spend a dollar on. A dollar for a logo of something would mean it had better be a really cool logo or benefit some cause or something. That dollar could go towards food or fun instead, so I was choosy about what logo stuff I spent money on.

AnxiousStrawberry September 26th, 2015

Very good point. Maybe put a donations jar beside the stickers? That way whoever gets a sticker wouldnt feel like they have to make a donation. But yeah, anything with the 7cups logo would help out the site a lot. :)

reservedShade279 September 27th, 2015

Get investors maybe? Partners? And then remove the addthis, and other marketing/analytics in the site?

GlenM OP September 28th, 2015

All, thanks for the helpful feedback and willingness to further help spread the word when we release the stand alone support systems. We plan to get the new design released in the next couple of days and then focus on a number of other smaller items. I'm hoping we have the independent support systems live in the next two weeks. I'll keep you updated!

AnxiousStrawberry September 28th, 2015

Will you work on the phone app as well? It's kind of...bad compared to the actual 7cups site...

reservedShade279 September 28th, 2015

To be honest, the mobile app isn't that bad compared to what it could of been, the fact it's optimized for mobile devices is good, sure there is a few issues with it, and the UI needs a good update, but you have to understand you need a good UX for mobile, and it's expensive. So for what it's worth, it's rather good as it is.

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn is an expert in UX so UX enhancements also a big part of this upgrade.

Yes, the apps will be MUCH better :). The new design we release on desktop will be a big improvement over this current design. Same thing with the app - tho functionality will also have a big upgrade.

reservedShade279 September 28th, 2015

Hey Glen, if it's not too much trouble, could you have it made so moderators if they're lurking they appear in the participants list, so when they join chat they're automatically appearing in list? otherwise some mods just lurk and warn without saying anything.

charmingSea1977 September 29th, 2015

launch it in the most 10 popular languages

I dont get sound with nofications

Bearberry September 30th, 2015

I am just catching up with this thread. I am an older listener, I have never had someone younger say I was not relating to them. I believe, in the same way a doctor does not have to have had your illness to treat you, so listeners do not need to have had the same life experiences to be relevant in their comments. Hopefully, people can set aside their own needs and opinions and be emotionally available. However, I do see one potential issue. If you offer a set level of response to a vulnerable group, as on a university campus, you may need liability insurance, I would not think without referencing who the listeners are, degrees, licenses, affiliations, etc, you could find insurance. This seems to defeat the idea of anonymous responders. Something to ponder, perhaps. I personally would like to see the service get some publicity as an alternative. A counseling center, mental health clinic, private therapist, are all good sources. I am comfortable being among them, but not in competition with them. They serve a very real and needed function. Our function is different and I would hope we maintain that difference,

Poolsidegirl42 October 1st, 2015

Facebook

KnighTerrA October 1st, 2015

Eh, of you mean have it linked in then no. I definitely think there should be an option to connect elsewhere though

GlenM OP October 1st, 2015

Update: I consulted with an expert on this and she had a very good idea and helped me see a middle ground here. This is what she recommended. Instead of using the word donate use the word back - so instead of donate to 7 cups it'd be Back 7 Cups. I really like that idea and think it is more consistent. Additionally, before, I was struggling with balancing the right perks for backing 7 cups. I didn't want to add items that would limit the amount of good we can do for everyone. I believe we came up with a good compromise that will help us reach sustainability. Here is how it works, when a person backs 7 cups they also upgrade their account. When they upgrade they get the following:

-Access to personalized growth paths. These will start with basic skill development and then they'll move into things like mastering stress, building stronger relationships, becoming more resilient etc. There will be around 20 customized paths that a person will be able to take. Upgrading gets you access to all of them.

-An optional sustainability icon that can be displayed on profile pic or under messages. This can also be shared with one other person on 7 cups to indicate that it is a shared gift.

-A monthly email from me sharing my top of mind thoughts and new 7 Cups developments.

The growth path as we know it now and the rest of the site would function as it does now. We'd just add these extra perks for those who back 7 cups.

How does this update sound?

TortueDesBois October 2nd, 2015

@GlenM sounds so exciting!

And I will take the path for learn to become my own best friend !

reservedShade279 October 2nd, 2015

No offence glen but it doesn't sound too good. It's pretty much a blank check. It's like saying "if you give me $1 I'll give you $1" - your best bet is to do a kickstarter or a gofundme to raise the money to enhance 7cups.

EvelyneRose October 6th, 2015

@GlenM

I think back is really good. It makes it sound more like a community goal- we're here to support, just as 7cups is here to support. I like it. Anyway, if I was going to back something, those are probably some things I'd want. Now, I'd back 7cups with just this, but honestly if I was going to back something, I'd want a bit more than paths and a letter (although I know it's limited what you can do and I understand that).

What about the ability to edit our own forum posts? I don't know if that's a forthcoming feature, but I know if I didn't have that option, I'd want it. Or, maybe a free swag gift after a certain amount donated? Once we start doing merch if that is a thing you decide to do. As for the updates about 7cups, perhaps people who donate would learn about potential new things before others? These are just suggestions, as again I don't really have marketing experience.

Would there be a minimum for backing or just whatever you can give?

peacefulWaves54 October 2nd, 2015

Hi! I love the ideas and I'd love to help! I've done it small scale for my hospital radio station! In uk we have site like just giving! People can do runs or sponsored anything and people donate online then all the money goes to that charity! In uk we have gift aid! What if uk 7 cud became a registered chairy then when people donate if they pay tax our government pays an extra 20% on top! It's small thing like that which make a huge difference! Also if your doing this maybe setting up a fundraising team who have no other commitments so they can focus ( don't want to add to others workload), then the can campaign for donations on Facebook etc!

Maybe be what we need is an "ice bucket challenge" something that creates awareness of us! It might get people in who don't know we here but also by creating awareness we can let people know we need support too!

When people signed up to monthly donation! What if they got an email letting them know how many people we helped that month, stories about what we doing, and done and then all the things we still hope to do! It's cheaper than post and that way people don't forget why the donating in the first place! Getting donations regular donations will be hard, getting people to carry on donating will be harder!

the training you offer volounteers is amazing would you asking listeners to donate to help pay for everything we get, be an option?

GlenM OP October 9th, 2015

Wanted to update you all on this front. We had a great mentor call yesterday where we talked about a range of subjects - 7 cups for organizations, research, wellness tests etc. We also talked about how we can make 7 cups sustainable. As always, the mentors helped me think through some things and provided me with a lot of helpful feedback. I wanted to share some of that discussion with you all.

We'll be launching the ability to back 7 cups or upgrade your account towards the end of next week or the start of the following week. Our mission - to be the emotional support system for the Internet or to provide a free mental health system - is always front and center. As outlined at the top of this thread, however, we also need to find ways to generate revenue so we can ensure that 7 Cups last not for years, but for decades. Our plan is to roll this out and do lots and lots of testing. If we find that the measures outlined above cover us, or come close to covering us, then we'll be in great shape. I can't disclose too many details here, but I can keep you updated on how things are progressing and what the data looks like. So we'll plan to test the above backing/upgrading piece out over a 2-4 week process. If the initial data looks good, then we are in great shape. If it doesn't look as strong as we need it to be, then we'll need to revisit the process and find new ways of tweaking it. Again, just to be clear, 7 Cups will always be 100% free and the core experience will always remain that way. The things we may need to add will be "value add" items and will not take away from any of the central experience that all enjoy today at no cost.

MissAnn007 October 19th, 2015

@GlenM Hi, I've now read to the bottom of this thread and I have an idea that might help you with the one-time vs. recurring revenue issue. In addition to offering a monthly option, you could offer an option for X amount a month, but paid in a lump sum for a year (or each quarter), so that someone who wants to make a one-time contribution could do so, and you could then annualize it. I understand the need for predictability, and I just don't want to see you lose out on revenue that could come your way but be structured differently. I know also just as a human who donates, there are some charities to which I give monthly, and some to which I give one-time. It depends on what is happening with them, and with me, and with me with them. I know that's all clear as mud but giving back (or backing or whatever you decide to call it) is often as varied as the givers themselves and their experiences with your service. It could be both/and when it comes to one-time and recurring contributions, and you could still build in some predictability. I've very much appreciated your work here and have recommended the site to others. It's a worthy endeavor that deserves support. I wish you the best.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 5th, 2015

@MissAnn007

i think we will be offering an annual option that is paid in a lump sum and equates to a lower amount per month.