Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion - Usernames

December 30th, 2023

Hey everyone! 😊

When you join 7 Cups as a member or a listener, you get a username which is assigned by our system. You also have the option to create your own screen name while signing up.

Here, your username is something which identifies you to other users. So, having a good username can leave a lasting impression on your 7 Cups peers.

That said, there has been some confusion about what is considered an appropriate username on here. So, let’s check it out ✨

What is an appropriate username?

An appropriate username IS the one that:

• Can be computer-generated by 7 Cups or chosen by yourself

• Is creative, and shows positive qualities

• Can be in capital letters

An appropriate username IS NOT the one that:

• Contains sexualized, graphic, or curse words

• Contains anything about suicide/drugs/alcohols

• Have anything that is homophobic/racist towards any group

Now for the questions part! 😄

1. What do you consider to be a good username?

2. Is there any confusion you face while choosing your username while signing up, or deciding to change your username?

3. Finally, a mini-game for you 🥁:

Tag 2-3 of your friends and mention a word which makes you think of them, specifically their usernames (it can be a positive quality, or a strength)

Let’s keep the chain going!

Sometimes a 7 Cups user may wish to change their username once they have signed up, for various reasons, including safety and privacy reasons. If you’re one of them, you’re welcome to check out the process for username change here

If you have spotted a profile that needs to be flagged, feel free to message one of the Safety Patrol members with the username here

For any queries on Safety (profile flagging/outreaching/discussions), you’re welcome to message @tommy or @Rebekah or @AuRewolf!

Resource on usernames 👇:

1.  Username Change policy: Username Change

2. Community Guidelines about username: Community Guidelines

Tagging the Safety team:
@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @Lunaire00 @LightsFromDark @iPHOENIX @Comphi @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Star001 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @richuyulin @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Rui00 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999 @sweetmikayla @DanCat1128
BlueRivercares December 30th, 2023

@AuRewolf thanks for the post and helpful info reweyy..choosing the right username is important :)

1.  all usernames are great :) bluerivercares, aurewolf, . 
2. the change username request form asks for 3 which makes it difficult to choose the best one from three xD..that's only if you find three usernames lol.
3. @compassionatearrow, they are are really compassionate and supportive (sorry i used two words)
   @cristlecares "cares" i added cares to my name becoz of them :p
   @YourCaringConfidant word for them is warmhearted

December 30th, 2023

@BlueRivercares

Yes, the username change form asking for 3 new usernames as option can be tricky, especially when you have creativity block. There's a reason for it though - to make sure that at least of the 3 options is available for the user to change to.

Also, "all usernames are great" - Sounds like you feel that most usernames on here are creative and awesome!

BlueRivercares December 30th, 2023

@AuRewolf yes all usernames are great so that i can find creative nicknames xD

MistyMagic December 30th, 2023

@AuRewolf 

Something that gives an easy name for the rooms, so choose one that you like the second part of because most people call you that lol!. I get called Mist, Misty, and Magic and I love them all :)

2. Is there any confusion you face while choosing your username while signing up, or deciding to change your username?
    When I joined I was already familiar with online forums and chatrooms so I chose my name from my speciality and the weather lol! I often message new listeners (to give peer support or chat support or mentoring etc) and I point out they can change their name in the first two weeks to something more manageable than some of the AI-generated ones hahaha!

Tag 2-3 of your friends and mention a word which makes you think of them, specifically their usernames (it can be a positive quality, or a strength)

OK!

@EmotionsListener - Wise and Knowledgeable

@Brahmm  - Brave and Resilient

@AffyAvo - Dedicated and Determined

@Sunishiningandsoaraeyou - Bringing sunshine everywhere!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

December 30th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Agreed with you on going for the easy-to-remember usernames, especially the fact that people tend to go for the second part! Your nicknames are wonderful!

I'm glad that you make it a point to inform new listeners of the fact that they can change their usernames within 2 weeks of joining! I appreciate you going above for supporting new listeners in their listener journey!

Awesome qualities for your 7 Cups friends!

SparkyGizmo January 4th

@AuRewolf

@MistyMagic

Hi Wolfieee! 😊 ❤️  I could not agree with you more my friend! I too think that it's incredibly kind of Misty to let listeners know that they do in fact, have the option to change their user name within the first 2 weeks as per 7 cups guidelines. You cannot know, what it is, that you don't know! 😊

I love that the option is there as some may make their original choice in haste, they may get to know the platform better, they may come to realize that our usernames are truly an extension of ourselves as human beings! 

In addition, after the 2 weeks has passed, if good reason is given, a username change could be granted if requested. I see it as like....the FBI witness protection program, lol 😊 for some instances.  Administration can change our user names in an effort to shield us if others have become overly focused/fixated upon us, are harassing us through no fault of our own and so it's an option to "hide us" in plain sight and to get on with the great work that we do while unfettered. ❤️

I take a deeply humanistic approach to being here. People have feelings and words have meaning. We are not simply pixels on a screen. Having said that, I have worked with teammates prior that chose a username that had a bit of sadness attached to it.

Being a listener sometimes can teach us a great deal about our selves and over time, some may come to the realization that their user name is not a healthy thing to refer to themselves as, to see day in and day out. Every time they log on and see that screen name that they have chosen, could be reaffirming a bit of negativity that isn't good for them.

People change, people evolve and it's a beautiful moment to *hold the hand of another*❤️ and let them know that you do not see them in that light and let them know that they shouldn't either. It's a great feeling to help another long, give them the space to "shed that old skin", request a new user name that is more healthy for them and for that completely valid reason. 

*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

@MistyMagic

Awww thank youu for thinking of me, Magical Mistyybeannnn, you are always bringing magic everywhere you go leaving little sprinkles of your sweet sparkly glitter to remember you fondly with nothing but gratitude in heart always. 🥰

CompassionateArrow December 30th, 2023

@AuRewolf

Oh yes definitely Wolfie, a good username plays a very crucial role in almost all our roles here.. This post is absolutely lovely and helpful too! 

1) @tranquilBlossom79 the username sounds so calming and you know you can approach them and receive the best support you can ever get

2) @dreamIcicle8467 such a cute username.. I love it so much because it gives you those vibes which make you feel safe

3) @MindfulJourney22 the first word that comes to my mind when I see this username is "wise"..

@CompassionateArrow

Whoopsie! Forgot to highlight the words! 

@tranquilBlossom79: Calming and Supportive

@dreamIcicle8467: Reassuring safety and Cute

@MindfulJourney22: Wise and Serene

December 30th, 2023

@CompassionateArrow

Agree, usernames are important for our roles here!

Also, you've beautifully highlighted the qualities in your 7 Cups friends!

@AuRewolf

I really want to do that for everyone here.. Who are devoting their precious time to help people.. They all deserve to be appreciated so so much..

To every listener reading this, you're all so amazing for the work you do here. This world is becoming a better place just because of youu 💜

MindfulJourney22 December 30th, 2023

@CompassionateArrow thank you!

MindfulJourney22 December 30th, 2023

@CompassionateArrow- i get a feeling of compassion warmth reading their username.

@GoldenRuleJG- i feel like my soul is beautiful like a gold from their username

@sparkyGizmo- From their username i get a sense that we all have a spark within.

@weEarth- from their username i get a feeling that we are united n together in every battles of lives.

@Asilentobserver- from their username i get a peaceful n calming vibe

SparkyGizmo December 30th, 2023

@MindfulJourney22

Many thanks my sweet friend! 😊 ❤️ I have always loved your user name as well. I like to practice mindfulness and I see life as a journey. Excellent choice! 

*high fives* 😊 and *hugs* ❤️

WeEarth December 31st, 2023

@MindfulJourney22

Thank you mind 💖 Your kind words mean a lot. I appreciate your insights. By the way, your username 'MindfulJourney22' reflects a beautiful perspective on the journey of mindfulness. It's inspiring! 😊

GoldenRuleJG December 31st, 2023

Aw from your name I get the vibe that it sends the message that everyone can work at a pace comfortable to them without judgement 💙💛 Journey serves for growth 💙

Jenna December 30th, 2023

@AuRewolf

What do you consider to be a good username? - Something strong and witty. Yet, kind and inclusive.

Is there any confusion you face while choosing your username while signing up, or deciding to change your username?
- Not really. Mostly trying to decide what to use.

@InternalAcceptance - Knowledgable and Helpful.
2. @AnnaSilverberg - Positive and Artisitc.
3. @dreamIcicle8467 - Kindhearted and Supportive.
4. @wishfulWillow6962 - Brave and Lovely.

December 31st, 2023

@Jenna

Yes, deciding the new usernames can be challenging, especially when someone is used to their old username.

Fradiga December 30th, 2023

I understand why 7cups gives suggestions but frankly, users and listeners should go for names they made up themselves. Its so much easier to remember.

The nickname i use is what my grandfather used to call me by (in a dialectof SW-France). Easier to find, I'm told,, and doesn't need a number

WeEarth December 31st, 2023

@AuRewolf : Where Au meets wolf, creating a golden howl of uniqueness!

@wishfulWillow6962 : WishfulWillow6962 dreams big—so big, even the willows envy the scale of their aspirations!🌌🌟

@sadcat13 : Sadcat13 turns frowns into internet fame; their username might say 'sad,' but their humor is purr-fectly uplifting!😺😂

@Tinywhisper11 : Tinywhisper11 speaks volumes in the quietest of bytes, proving that sometimes, big stories come in small whispers!📜🤓

@WhereIsRed : WhereIsRed is on a quest as epic as finding Waldo. Spoiler alert: Red's hiding, but the fun is always in the search!🕵️‍♂️🔴

sadcat13 December 31st, 2023

@WeEarth awwwww, thank youuu, you are so kind 😭🌻 As your username says, you truly have a capacity to hug the whole world 🌍😊

Tinywhisper11 December 31st, 2023

@WeEarth yaaaay! That's me 😁😁😁 gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

WhereIsRed December 31st, 2023

@WeEarth

Thank you earth

@AuRewolf

Great discussion series, thank you for sharing!

I think a good username is one that falls under the community guidelines (of course lol) and is easy to remember hehe. 

I  also love usernames inclusive of something that captures the personality of the person using it, as I consider our usernames and profile pictures as part of our identity here which is super impactful in establishing rapport as well as creating your own space here. 

Yes hehe, just once, I remember using that username change request form to change my username during my 1st month here and I dunno what random thought prompted me to type this line from one of my favourite songs, I know it's kinda long so wasn't too hopeful about it XD but am sooooooo grateful the team approved it and for all the smiles people wear upon reading my username. 🥰

Yessss, lezzzdoit, I remember sooo many, and some are mentioned already by others too so yay XD mentioning some more wonderful usernames worn by some of the bestest people here. 💛

@lovemymoonflowers - I remember Niibuddy mentioning in a forum that "moonflowers" is how they refer to their 7cups' friends and it just warmed my heart so much to see that beautiful connection with their peers. And of course, I always remember this lovely username for a vvv caring, loving and supportive hooman who blesses my day anytime I see them around. 🥰

@HealingTalk - Marcelo's username is an embodiment of their exceptional qualities which are inclusive (but certainly not limited to) of their unwavering sense of kindness, consideration and the knack to precisely pinpoint the "good" in others, and then Marcelo has an extraordinary way of turning that 'good' into magnificently-great with their ability to "beautify" their sense of expression in the most genuine manner possible. 💜

@mytwistedsoul - Soul's username was amongst the firsts that I remembered before even talking to them, simply because I saw them around the forumland so often always checking in on their peers, spending so much time in making soooo many people feel less alone and really *heard*, *seen*, supported and cared for. You are a blessing, Soul. You impact more positively than you may realize. I always pray you receive all the kindness and warmth you share with others. 🤗

@Suryansh - Suryaaa twinnieee's username is so easy to remember, how does one even consider forgetting about this bright sunny ray of compassion and comfort around the community, who consistently goes above and beyond in supporting everyone. I am certainly a little biased here too lol, we are sunny-twins who relate on sooo many things from pizza to procrastination (we got our P's right lmaoo) and I feel Surya's sunny rays are soooooo warm and loving, embracing us with lots of kindness at all times. Keep shining bright as ever, wonderful Suryasaurasssss! 🌞

LoveMyMoonflowers January 1st

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

sunn buddy 🥺🤧 whyyy 😭 you so sweet. 💜 *huggles youuuu* 💙 

@LoveMyMoonflowers

Me just honest, the rest is on you!😛

hugs-love.gif

LoveMyMoonflowers January 1st

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

laverne-and.gif

mytwistedsoul January 2nd

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Idk what to say 🥹 🍦🍪🍦🍪 for your kindness - for bringing a smile to my face and just being such a warm beacon of light to so many here - myself included ❤️❤️❤️ *big hugs* 

@mytwistedsoul

Aww🥺🥰🤗💗

friday-before-easter.gif

Daf8 January 3rd

❤️ To me, a good username is inclusive, within the guidelines (0 inappropriate things), easy to remember and easy to make a nickname or shorter version of. It should also reflect kindness and who you are as a person ❤️

❤️ My username is the abbreviation of my actual first name (it's what my friends call me). When I signed up, I dumbly picked a bad username (I came to my senses a while later), and I was lucky to be able to change it and not be stuck with a name that I didn't want to have (I'm very thankful for that). So, I'd say that the confusion or difficulty when it comes to usernames is coming up with a good name that you truly want to have permanently. For example, I have always been terrible at naming things! I remember that in a game, I actually named a rhino "rhyno" (poor bunch of pixels) ❤️

❤️ @AuRewolf makes me think of a wolf companion who's always there for you ❤️

❤️ @MusokeHere makes me think of the really smart, altruistic and capable friend they are ❤️

❤️ @ReganL makes me think of the royal, lovely and awesome person they are ❤️

January 3rd

@Daf8

Yes, one of the main difficulties is being creative and coming up with a good username which is easy to remember and make nicknames out of it.

Glad you went with your nickname!

Daf8 January 5th

❤️ Thank you, @AuRewolf! I agree, and yes, it was both a meaningful and convenient username. Also, yours is lovely! ❤️ 

Heather225 January 4th

@AuRewolf

What a clever post with the added activity!! Thanks for making safety education fun!

January 6th

@Heather225

"making safety education fun"  <--- this is my aim of these discussions!

Safety education need not be boring 😊

cyanPlatypus6370 January 7th

@AuRewolf  👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 

Heather225 January 4th

@AuRewolf

What do you consider to be a good username?
1. Anything that evokes positive feelings 2. Says a little something about you 3. Has some kind of easy name to call you by

@littlebirdie30 - an uplifting playful presence in the rooms + birdie which we know always wins with me
@YourCaringConfidant - literally embodies her name. a lovely person.
@Powerandsunset25 - very kind and thoughtful

YourCaringConfidant January 4th

@Heather225 Aww, this just made me smile. Thanks for the mention. ♡ Xoxo. 

January 6th

@Heather225

Agreed with you on what a good username should be.

Thanks for tagging awesome peers and mentioning their positive qualities!

Walker7957 January 5th

Hello @AuRewolf is my okay?

January 5th

@Walker7957

Of course, your username is alright! 😊