Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How/Where to read for free

conscientiousPeach2999 January 16th, 2023

I’m opening up this question for all :)

the only way I know is going to a library

any other ways?

SleepyShyCat January 16th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

Borrowing books from friends and family can be a way of free reading, or doing a 'book swap' with people (either people you know or sometimes these happen online), and on reading apps or online reading sites or even places like Google play store, there's often a selection of free books. Although not free, charity shops sell significantly reduced books (my local one sells books for 50p), and there are many second hand sites that sell books at reduced prices. If you're not specifically looking only for books, you can read non-fiction articles for free across many sites, and there are various sites you can read fiction stories (often fanfiction, but many are the same length as actual novels and well written) like 'archive of our own (ao3)'. Hopefully some of that was useful. 📚

conscientiousPeach2999 OP January 17th, 2023

Thank you :)

AffyAvo January 17th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999 I will add online books through the library. This may vary by country, but sometimes even if you do not have a local library that offers this you can access another one for free further away.

Social media neighbourhood sites - buy nothing groups or sometimes in buy/sell book groups some people will give books away.

Neighbourhood little libraries - my neighbourhood actually has multiple! A weatherproofed box is set up like an old newspaper stand and people can leave a book or take a book.

RarelyCharlie January 17th, 2023

A couple of well known online libraries that are available globally are Project Gutenberg and Open Library.

Some of those local little libraries can be found at Little Free Library, but I suspect most are not registered.

Charlie

HealingTalk January 18th, 2023

@RarelyCharlie

Those are the largest and best!

adaptableHouse7641 January 17th, 2023

There are apps to download books as well

TheArtistSystem January 17th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

adio book apps

karenw January 17th, 2023

Join netgalley. you ask for books from the publishers before they are published so its all the latest releases they give you the book direct to your kindle in return for an honest review.

pamharley003 January 17th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

Amazon has books for free and other books sites offer free books. I can read a book on my tablet bookmark it and open it on my computer and read from where I left on my tablet. I have over 5,000 books for free to read

kalymmenon January 17th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999 PDF files.

Dallady January 17th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

YouTube has a lot of audiobooks for free.

pamharley003 January 17th, 2023

I also have free book sites emailed to me with free books that I read in kindle cloud reader on my coomputer if interested

BetheyBoop January 18th, 2023

Check out Libby by Overdrive! It's an online library that you can get ebooks with your library card!

GuitarManSam January 18th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

PdfDrive Dot Com. You can download books and more (:

@conscientiousPeach2999

Many great books, some of the best literature and essays ever published, have lost their property rights and are in the public domain.

From Plato and Aristotle to Lewis Carroll, Conan Doyle, Shakespeare, Oscar Wild, Mark Twain, Jane Austen... Zillions of outstanding books.

Here is a ranking by Goodreads based on ratings by their members: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/public-domain

Any book you see listed there, you can download for free from the sites pointed out by @RarelyCharlie HERE

Another list of superb books you can download from Project Gutemberg or Open Library:

https://www.shortform.com/best-books/genre/best-public-domain-books-of-all-time

Kittenclaws January 18th, 2023

Hi! I read online through internetarchive.org They have a lot of stuff for free, though I don't think many really new books. But I was able to finish several fantasy series that I couldn't afford to buy back in the day. Cons: the books are scanned page by page and uploaded, so the quality varies and the older books pages can be kind of dark and hard to read, but there are tools to enlarge the typing which is what I do.

slowdecline48 January 19th, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999 RarelyCharlie's links are choice. If you haven't clicked on those, then you should.

May I also suggest archive-dot-org... You can search for any topic & limit the results to text-based documents. A lot of books require login for "borrowing" but there are also tons of texts that are free to download, in several formats including PDF & plaintext.

(That's not the actual URL but you can figure it out)

Kittenclaws January 19th, 2023

@slowdecline48

I mentioned this exact site in the post just above yours but you described it better :) I believe the URL I have in my msg is correct.

slowdecline48 January 22nd, 2023

@Kittenclaws Oh? Your caution about file quality is a good one...I hadn't thought to mention it. *Homer Simpson voice* D'oh!

I finally remembered & found it here.

Ravis889 January 22nd, 2023

@conscientiousPeach2999

* Borrowing books.

* There are sites online that let you pirate books.

* Audible free trial?