Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. ÃÂ

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here ÃÂ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

SophieWX September 13th, 2020

@GlenM

I learned that I tend to be extroverted.

extroverted, agreeable, and open-minded

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I can use them to build good social relationshsips.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

They give me strength in comminication and innovation.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@SophieWX

Being extroverted definitely does give you strength in many ways!

frostyIris5554 September 14th, 2020

@GlenM

I learnt that I tend to be anxious and nervous. I think it's a good thing because it shows that I care and that um passionate about the things that i do and i get nervous about the outcome.

I enjoy novel experience and seeing things in new ways, I'm well organized and reliable and I am relatively social and enjoy others company.

These strengths would allow me to deal with personal situations better and know how to react to my family and friends in a more understanding way. It would also let me see things differently when I enter into situations with my family and friends.

I have been told that I have great leadership skills by my peers which would help this community because I set goals and I encourage my peers to accomplish them with the help of me of course. I am dependent and reliable which are great traits to have in a community where responses are needed at a given time period.

@frostyIris5554

Definitely very true and seeing the positive in being anxious and nervous. Only recently have I understood the positives surrounding it. I am excited to see a new leader in the community soon, Iris! :)

lovelyNight9853 September 14th, 2020

I learned that I am somewhat conventional, also I learned that I am well-organized and people can rely on me.

According to the list I am good-natured, I am also very supportive and I am also very organized and methodical.

They help me in my personal life as it helps understand other people better and be more open-minded.

They can help me with 7 cups because I can better understand the thought process and personalities, so I can provide the best support for members. It will also help me in my career because it allows me to understand different personalities, so I can work well with different personalities in the future.

@lovelyNight9853

For sure, knowing your strengths can definitely come in handy with relationships and navigating life in general. :)

BeautifulMasterpiece September 14th, 2020

I did learn that I'm neither an introvert nor an extrovert, which is under stable because while I like being by myself at times, I crave social interaction, but only with people I am comfortable with.

I can be creative, curious, and fun-loving.

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life

Being Idealistc and creative means that I can always find the good in terrible situations. Being passionate and fun-loving means that I love to express myself and I become really devoted and focused on things that are important to me, especially my friends. Being hard-working and curious means that I will do whatever it takes to get the job done, whether I have to think outside the box, or go back in because I was over-thinking it.

All of my strengths help me as a listener in ways such as being able to lift up my member when they are in a sad place, help me to never give up on them no matter how hard their situation may seem to get through, and to be a friendly ear to listen to them and be there for them at the time they need it most.

@BeautifulMasterpiece

You sound a bit like me with being an ambivert :) Fun-loving is an amazing trait to have! Everyone needs to experience some fun in their lives. I love how they all can help you help a member <3 That's amazing.

MoonlightHelper1 September 17th, 2020

@GlenM

I learnt that I am less open-minded than I believed. My result showed that I typically don't seek out new experiences. It also showed more introversion that I though.

My top strengths according to this test are that I am agreeable and I consider the feelings of others, I am reliable and self-disciplined.

Seeing my strengths boosts my self-esteem and it helps me to get to know myself better. I think it is equally important to recognize not only strengths but also weaknesses so I can constantly grow and self-develop.

Being agreeable and reliable will help me when collaborating with others on various tasks and projects. As 16 personalities test showed, I need to set boundaries as I can experience burn out easily so self-discipline is something that will help me with that.

@MoonlightHelper1

Ooh, sounds like you learnt a lot about yourself!

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 28th, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

A lovely thoughtful answer!

pizzaiscool September 18th, 2020

@GlenM

Ahh! I've done this test so many times haha

I always think i get easily irritated but this test told me that I'm neither forgiving nor irritable!

I'm open-minded, an 'ambivert' but leaning towards extraversion and that I'm trustworthy and reliable.

They help me interact with others and help them feel welcome and like they have someone to rely on.

As mentioned in the previous question, I can help newer listeners feel confident in their own shoes. These tests helped me gain a deeper understanding of my own personality and get a grasp on my leaderships style. Being a mediator also means that I have a tendency to look for the best in others. That will help me greatly in all areas of leadership!

@pizzaiscool

That's an interesting trait the test showed. Maybe we're being a bit hard on ourselves? I wonder what others around you have said re irritability. Getting a grasp on your leadership style is so important, so you know your strengths and how to encourage others in the team to do well.

pizzaiscool September 19th, 2020

@rebecca947

Hmmm I do get the comment that i'm patient a lot but I think I hide my irritabilility around people I'm not that close to! Interesting take. I agree we're all so hard on ourselves. Would we treat a friend like this? No, then why do we treat ourselves that way?

SophTheListener2022 September 18th, 2020

@GlenM

I find it easy to criticize others. I am neither particularly social nor reserved.

Being conventional, doing things haphazardly, and not being nervous nor calm.

I look at how I work and that when I work, I'm not nervous nor calm.

Being conventional and an introvert could help me in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in my career because when you do what needs to be done and I'm focusing on my own work.

@SophTheListener2022

Being able to see how you work then enacting on them can be great traits for sure!

FrostyMonkey September 20th, 2020

1. i'm very messy and introverted and probably need to control my emotions better

2. I'm quite open minded, like personal one on one relationships, and i am a bit assertive

3. that I can think of creative solutions and be assertive

4. I can come up with new or better solutions to a given problem and be supportive of others

Asher October 26th, 2020

@FrostyMonkey

Do you think being messy is helpful with coming up with ideas out of no where?

blitheEmbrace27 October 29th, 2020

I’ve enjoyed reading responses. Your answers and my answers were both very different. Which just shows that being a leader, it’s okay to have different strengths!! Thanks for sharing ! 😊@FrostyMonkey

SweetDreamer69 April 13th, 2021

Even I need to learn how to control my emotions. Sometimes it gets too much.

WelcomeToChat September 21st, 2020

@GlenM

The test pretty much agrees with what I know of myself, so there were no surprises here, like in the previous MBTI personality test.

Open-Mindedness

Extraversion

Agreeableness

They help me relate and enjoy connecting with many very different people, cultures, and ideas, which I do. Practicing and hugely enjoying art and music. Living in love to my fellow human beings, and in wonder about reality and the whole universe.

According to the results of both tests, I have a strong drive to help people, which is a necessary condition for voluntary work at 7Cups, good persuasion skills, that could serve to make people see the brighter side of their life, creativity, which can be used to find ways to direct a conversation in useful ways, empathy, which helps to understand and better help Members, insightfulness, what can help spot and direct conversations to meaningful topics, open-mindedness, which serves to help people of different cultures, lifestyles, and very different situations in life, in a non-judgemental way.

Regarding careers. all people-oriented skills are crucial in the workplace of XXI century, were mechanistic tasks are being replaced by software and robots.

KatePersephone September 21st, 2020

1. Open mindedness: 59%

Conscientiousness: 5%

Extraversion: 30%

Agreeableness: 2%

Negative emotionally: 94%

2. I learnt that I am nervous and insecure, which I already knew but didn't know I was that badly. I also learnt that I am disorganized, undependable, introverted, critical and rude.

3. My top 3 strengths is that I'm curious, complex and creative.

4. They can help me by teaching me how to become a better person emotionally and physically, and they can teach me to be better towards other people, too.

5. They can help me by understanding where my low levels are and help me become a better leader and provide support to other people in a better way!

dancingMoment7201 September 21st, 2020

@GlenM

- I'm somewhat not express myself freely and tend to worry, insecure.
I'm agreeable, open to New Experiences and Conscientious

Help me know what area I'm good at and also make me realise what are the good nature that I'm keeping.

I'm agreeable and '

tend to consider the feelings of others.', make it easier in conversation and building trust. My career is involving taking care of others so it's a big pat on the back to know that I have these traits.

Vintagechoc September 22nd, 2020

@GlenM

1. The main things I learned about yourself :

I tend to be nervous. I am not really aware of it.

2. My top 3 strengths according to this test:

- Creative

-Original

-Curious

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life

It will help me to be more aware of myself.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career

It will help me to have an open mind.

Asher October 26th, 2020

@Vintagechoc

Do you think about any curious idea on here with things to be done?

SofiaT2000 October 26th, 2020

@Vintagechoc These are some great characterestics! I'm sure you'll do greatt as a leader.

CintaBali September 23rd, 2020

Nothing - I've done this test before, too

This test does not identify the top 3 strengths. It identifies strengths in each category. Creativity, Dedication, Improvisation were the top three strengths in the other test and this test doesn't seem to contradict that.

Strengths help people in their personal life by being an asset that can be relied upon and by being an advantage that can help someone to get ahead. Weaknesses can be made into strengths with personal training and endeavour.

In situational leadership, leaders are taught to identify alternative types of leadership qualities and improve the ones they don't already naturally have - For example both organisational ability and problem solving (improvisation) are skills that can be taught and practised and improved, even though some personality self-assessment tests seem to imply that these are mutually exclusive "personality traits".

TogetherForeverAlways September 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

That I'm really openned to new experiences, neither very disorganized nor conscientitious.

Also, I was scored pretty high on introvertedness, which is only natural but clearly contrasts with the previous personality test I took in the previous excercise here on the LDP. I dunno why this hapenned, but it sure is relevant and interesting...

I am good-natured, corteous, and supportive.

They can help me a ton, because self-knowledge is self-mastery. Knowing my strenghts allows me to better focus on them, until weaknesses become less and less relevant.

They can help me choose a suitable leadership role on 7 Cups apart from the ones I already have (ATL and PS), and in my career they can help me support my Data Scientist dream.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

PS - I found this Big 5 Test so fascinating that I decided to take it as for me and as I was my girlfriend as well, answering as if I were her, according to my perspections.

September 26th, 2020

@WatchingOverYou

I like your idea of taking the test as if you were your girlfriend! Did she also take it, and then compared results?

TogetherForeverAlways September 26th, 2020

@sunflower2480

Thanks. And no, she didn't take the test by herself, though that would be even more interesting!

September 26th, 2020

@GlenM

These are my results:

Open-Mindedness : You are relatively open to new experiences. I find this correct!

Conscientiousness : You are well-organized, and are reliable. I agre!

Extraversion : You tend to shy away from social situations. Absolutely, although I am trying to work on this and become a little bit more extrovert.

Agreeableness : You find it easy to express irritation with others.

It may sound a weird thing to say, but I am actually happy about this. I believe I am fundamentally a very empathic person and the other test did pick up on this aspect. However, all my life I struggled with standing up for myself. This has been a major goal in therapy for the past two years. I am now maybe too much on the other side and too ready to express my unhappiness when someone crosses my boundaries, but as my therapist says, it is a process and I will eventually find the right balance.

Negative Emotionality : You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. I agree. This is another aspect of myself I am working on.

My being open-minded, reliable, well-organised.

Being open to new experiences can make me more receptive to whatever comes into my life and help me live fully. Empathy is a key element when relating to others, to experience intimacy.

Being well-organised and reliable is very important both for a leadership role and within a career, especially when you are working with a team of people. My being emphatic can help me in developing and maintaining better relationships with my colleagues and can balance my natural introversion.

I enjoyed this, thank you!

amiablePeace77 September 27th, 2020

@GlenM

Other tests say I am more on the introversion site. Actually I do love mixing with others but only for a shorter time. (HSP)

Open minded: You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. 97

Conscientiousness: You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. 98

Extraversion: You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. 80

Having an open mind allows me to explore more in life without bein held back by constraints on thinking established by a society. My conscientiousness helps me to get things done and the energetic part of extraversion makes me feel powerful. Unfortunately due to an illness related to heat (living in a hot country) I can get very tired and lose power if I am not careful enough with physical work.

I believe those strengths help me in being a moderator here and achieving goals for the community in general.

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 28th, 2020

@amiablePeace77

Wonderful strengths!

queenviebsonly September 28th, 2020

@GlenM

O: 88, C: 58, E:47, A:20, N:87

I learned that I can be quite hars sometimes and I do not tend to forgive people easy. Also I learned that I can sometimes seek for revenge and I can get easily irritated with other people.

My three biggest strengths are being original, creative and curious. And also being complex and enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.

Being openminded can help be more open and overcome my shyness and closeness and being open to new possiblillities.

Being independend, determined and open-minded are really important qualities for every job and every oppurtunity. They can help you spot an oppurtunity and grab it, which is something that you need to have in mind.

friendlyEars8792 September 28th, 2020

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 98)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. (Your percentile: 80)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. (Your percentile: 86)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive. (Your percentile: 89)
Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. You aren't particularly nervous, nor calm.

helpfuldipper September 29th, 2020

Open-Mindedness: You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (My percentile: 93)

Conscientiousness: You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. (My percentile: 99)

Extraversion: You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. (My percentile: 99)

Agreeableness: You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive. (My percentile: 99)

Negative Emotionality: You probably remain calm, even in tense situations. (My percentile: 13)

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I think the only new thing I learned about myself was that I am generally considered Extrovert and outgoing. I always thought myself as someone who is ambivert. The rest of things indicated in the results of this test are more or less in the line with my original perception of myself. I think knowing this aspect about myself I would be more confident in social situations. I would take advantage of my ability while being conscious of any risks associated with it.

What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

My top 3 strengths according to this test are my ability to stay well organized. I scored a 99 percentile on this parameter which means I tend to stay organize almost all the time. Second would be my agreeableness. I think this is the validation for my time here. I think I have learned a lot and personally shown a lot of growth in this aspect. Third would be low negative emotionality meaning I stay calm and focused under pressure situations. I think that has helped me throughout my life and I would still continue to work on it.

How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

I think being aware of my strengths on its own will help me. It will tell me what I can excel at and what I need to work on. I think knowing that I stay calm under pressure I would start to take more activities which I earlier used to avoid not knowing how I would do on it. Also knowing I am more of an extrovert, would help me in certain social situation in which I usually felt anxious. I think the best part of this test is knowing where you belong on the scale. It helps to better understand yourself, reassure the things you suspected about yourself, and also shows you the areas which were in the dark.

How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

I think knowing that I am more agreeable is something that is an advantage but can be disadvantage also in any leadership role. I think I would work on being more assertive. On the whole I think most of things I came to know are positive and would help me shape into becoming a better leader on and off the site.

fireyseastar97 October 2nd, 2020

@GlenM

I don’t feel as if I learned much about myself. Based on my results it really doesn’t sound like me, especially when compared with the last personality test.

Open minded, introvert and, agreeableness

In my personal life I think my strengths can help me to be supportive and understanding to my friends and family. The other test told me that I am generous, open minded and thoughtful. I think that these are important skills when it comes to being there for loved ones.

I think as a listener it is important to be open minded. Members come on here to tell you what is on their mind and that could be anything. If you act in a judgemental way that could easily lead them to not use the site anymore. I think in a leadership role it would be helpful for almost anything 7-cups has to offer. In peer support which is what I am working towards in my professional life being generous, open-minded and thoughtful will help for understanding and relating to others in a non-judgemental way.

Ashvillium October 9th, 2020

@GlenM

Indeed I loved the Big 5 exercise. It was a great experience where I came to know about a lot of personality traits which a human inherits in themself, the way it is comprehended and the way it affects our emotional and social behaviour.

Following are my test scores:-
Open-Mindedness: 63 percentile
Conscientiousness: 56 percentile
Extraversion: 67 percentile
Agreeableness: 56 percentile
Negative Emotionality: 49 percentile

When it comes to myself, below are the things I came to know about myself through the test results:-

Things that I learnt about myself from the Big5 test are as follows:-

I am relatively open to new experiences.

I am relatively social and enjoy the company of others.

Many a time, I find it easy to express irritation with others though I am rarely irritable.

I am not particularly nervous or calm.

The Top three strengths of mine according to the test is as follows:-

I am relatively open to new experiences

I tend to be original, creative and curious

I am sympathetic, forgiving, courteous and social.

The results of the tests I performed helps me in my personal life in the following ways: -
First of all, the job I perform and love is creative, needs exploration and deep observation and according to the results, I have that creativity trait in myself.
Secondly, I love performing music and that also corresponds to a deep-thinking ability and solitude loving trait that according to the test results, I have inside me. Earlier I used to think that it’s the Music which recharges me. But indeed, it wasn’t the music alone it was the solitude which did too.
Lastly, according to the results I am relatively social and enjoy the company of others and that is why I have a lot of supportive friends and I share a good relationship with my colleagues.

First of all, I am always open to new experiences that make me fit for the leadership roles where I can interact with people with new culture, ideas and believe by appreciating them all and understanding them I can arrange the diversity and lead them in a proper way both on 7 Cups and in my Career.

Secondly, I am sympathetic and social, it enables me to connect and help people in the community by understanding and feeling them in a better way and lead a team in where everyone gets the best treatment.

Thanks for the test :)
Ash-

YoungMonastic007 October 10th, 2020

@GlenM

Open-Mindedness - 53rd percentile

Conscientiousness - 99th percentile

Extraversion- 79th percentile

Agreeableness - 88th percentile

Negative Emotionality - 11th percentile

That I’m follow conventional way of solving problems most of the times

Compassion, motivation and relationship.

It helps me in being a better person and bringing a positive environment around me

I think these strengths help me building more better relationships with the people

pro21 October 11th, 2020

@GlenM

I learned a lot new things about myself, my traits and areas to improve upon.

My new strengths that are discovered were - considerable abour others' feelings, solitude and careful about decisions.

The results I gained through both the tests is really helpful as it gave me a detailed description about my personality traits through which I can improve.

The traits such as to empathize, loyalty, open-mindedness and thoughtfulnes will help me become not just a better leader but also a person as people can approach without being afraid that I might be banal or inconsiderate of their issues.

thank you!