Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Systems vs. Goals (Discussion 4)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

Welcome to our 4th discussion in this first course. In todays discussion, we will be talking about systems vs. goals.

To start, please read this post here  and watch this video.

The basic argument here is that having a system is better than having a goal. A system is a way of behaving that helps you move towards accomplishing something. A goal is usually and end state that happens after you have accomplished something. I think eating healthy is a good example. A goal might be to lose 10 pounds. In this case, you feel kind of bad about yourself until you hit that goal; and then, once you hit it, you kind of lose the purpose because the goal has been reached. If you relapse and gain wait again, then you fall back into feeling bad about yourself again. Contrast this with a system of eating healthy. A system might include things like: having a big glass of water prior to each meal; eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, and nuts; not eating after 9pm; and/or doing some level of intermittent fasting. You wouldnt integrate all of these new healthy eating behaviors at once. Instead, youd gradually introduce one and then another and then another over whatever period of time makes sense. The system enables you to continuously get healthier and healthier. You will eventually reach the goal, but itll be the byproduct of eating healthy.

Another example might be education. I dont really care all that much about grades for my kids. I mostly want them to learn and enjoy learning. We talk about what they learn, we draw things, they make their own educational videos, they explain things to me in their own words etc. I want them to have a system of learning and refining their perspective on things. If they have this system, then having good grades will be a natural result of enjoying learning.

This also has implications for 7 Cups as well. We might have goals of having a certain amount of group support messages or 1:1 messages. Those are fine goals to have, but we mostly want to create a system of support where people care for one another and then the natural result is an increased number of messages. Or, zooming back, think about this leadership development program. We could have an arbitrary goal of training a certain number of new leaders to serve our community; or we can co-create a system - this leadership development program - that helps people become leaders. The natural consequence of the program will be a higher number of trained, competent, and strong leaders that can better support our community. Â

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

ResilientLucky June 27th, 2021

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviours you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

I need to work on setting the right boundaries in my personal life in terms of how much time I spend with someone, not engaging in triggering topics, and how someone is allowed to speak to me.
Some of the behaviours I need to implement includes saying no to people when and where necessary, not laughing on and not taking jokes which feels like insulting to me, refusing to take comments on my appearance, saying no to discuss topics I am not comfortable indulging in, to openly express how much time I can devote to a person for personal conversations, not to agree with other’s perspective if I am not comfortable with.

FlourishingDimensions June 27th, 2021

@Resilientlucky You got this! You deserve this 💜

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@GlenM

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed?

I would like to be able to appreciate myself more and give me the credit I deserve. If I saw someone treating somebody the way I have treated myself before I would be really upset at them.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?

- Journal often so I can reflect on the things that happen during the day.
- Practicing self-care.
- Being more organized when it comes to setting goals and the steps to accomplish them.

LavenderFlower September 17th, 2021

@Andyallen

Hey Andy! I thought this post was so great~ I really think sometimes we forget that we are also human and will end up treating ourselves worse than others around us. For me, I sometimes beat myself up about not accomplishing the goals I set for myself. So system setting would definitely help me with appreciating myself more too. I think the behaviours you put in place for your system are great, and I wish you all the best in keeping up with them 💜 You got this!

June 28th, 2021

@GlenM
- I think it would be to not do many things at once, I tried doing it once but I just ended up having a breakdown.
- Go easy on myself and understand that I am trying my best to things.
- Finish the things which I started.

What are 3 behaviours you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?
-Patience: I really need to learn how to be more patient and try to be more comfortable with long-term systems.
-Self-care breaks: It is important to take breaks in order to work efficiently.
-The last thing would be to learn how to not take constructive criticism personally, as it is an important part of growing up.

Cazzy8752 June 28th, 2021

I think the key system for me is to start saying NO to people. Start thinking of myself 1st, start being number 1 in my life. I know I have a huge heart and I give away too much of it. 3 behavours 1) Start saying NO. 2) Start meditating more 3) Start journalling.

Cazzy8752 June 28th, 2021

Hi, I did post this before but now cant find it.
Mine is to start saying no to people and taking onboard other peoples problems like to stop trying to rescue them.
I have to stop feeling guilty for saying no.
I have to start taking care of number 1 first.
I have to do more meditation and journalling.

wonderfulRainbow817 June 30th, 2021

To let go of what I can't control

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?
Admit that I am not perfect
Look at what I can control about the situation
Instead of looking at what I can't control, take control of what I can control instead of just looking at what I can control

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817 that's a great system to implement, it seems unachievable but i know we can both get there <3

milkoreos July 5th, 2021

@GlenM hello

What is a key system that you need to set up in your life to help you succeed? What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?
a system i need to set up in my life to help me succeed is actually the one you've already mentioned, eating healthy :) i've already implemented this.

explore1000 July 14th, 2021

My key system: to feel proud of my acomplishments

3 behaviors to implant: writing them down in a journal, sticking to a plan to earn more accompliments, and hanging the certificats on a wall instead on inside a musty folder

Harquinn909 July 16th, 2021

The system I want to set up for myself is a consistent self-care system so that burnout doesn't happen and takes me away from the things that I love doing.

The three behaviors I would like to implement are:

1) Create a daily self-care checklist for me including more complicated things like meditation and simple things like putting moisturizer on my face.

2) Keep my calendar up to date and no more than 50% full of appointments. Too many appointments wear me out and I need to make sure that I have quiet downtime to get things done

3) Plan every week's tasks in a single swoop at the beginning of the week. I have a planner that I created for myself and now I need to consistently use this planner to manage my time.

sereneButton43 July 18th, 2021
Finding my ideal way of communication. I need to find a middle ground between formal structured communication and "way too causal and uninhibited" communication.
What are 3 behaviours you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life?
1. Observing how others in my social groups communicate and respond to different things.
2. Going through the literature and other content available on communication skills.
3. Actively incorporating whatever I learn and see how it works in practical scenarios.
Matteo2020 July 22nd, 2021

I think that a key system that I need to set up in my life in order to succeed is that of daily practice to improve my musicianship, my academics, and my exercise goals.

3 behaviors that I can implement in order to grow into this system are:

1. Setting alarms at convenient times in order to remind me to start my daily activities.

2. Using a checklist system in order to help motivate me.

3. Taking time to appreciate my progress and every step I make towards meeting goals through my system.

ComradeRuhi August 4th, 2021

@GlenM

A key system that I need to set up in my life to help me succeed is accepting mistakes. I can be really hard on myself when things don’t go my way, so I think this is a system that will really benefit me. 3 behaviors that I can use include 1: Taking a moment to breathe and relax after I realize that things are not really going the way I planned. Just vent it out, essentially. 2: Organize my thoughts and create lists, schedules, whatever it may be to carry out what I want to do, in a positive manner, rather than focusing on negativity, and 3: Always remind myself constantly, that life goes on. These 3 behaviors will definitely help me implement the system of accepting mistakes and hopefully I use mistakes now, to learn from them, rather then let them drag me down!

bubblingBreeze14 August 23rd, 2021

@iigotyourbackii

Nice system to implement.

LindenTea August 6th, 2021

@GlenM

Adapting a better sleeping schedule. My sleeping schedule is quite messed up I get barely 2-3 hours of sleep per day because of which I feel tired and exhausted most of the time and have very low energy to do anything at all which effects my health and as well as performance at school and work.

What are 3 behaviors you can implement to help you gradually grow that new system in your life
Setting realistic expectations from other people and even myself, knowing my limits and not over burdening myself with more work load than I can take to prevent myself from a burn out and disappointing others as well as myself.
Being openminded and welcome new healthy habits in order to grow better.
Balancing between my academic life and personal life. I often tend to either focus too much on my academics that I forget I have a personal life too and end up having a burn out or don't pay enough attention to my academic that in the end I have a hard time in the exam season and I would like to fix that.

@SkyLindenHope

I think lack of sleep or impropper sleeping patterns are common among a lot of people. I hope you'll be able to implement a great system to solve this. :)

LavenderFlower September 17th, 2021

@SkyLindenHope

Hi Sky! I think sleep and work go hand is hand most of the time. If you overwork yourself, you will be exhausted and stressed. If you're stressed, you don't get good sleep, and if you're exhausted your motivation to do work will be decreased. If you don't get good sleep, you are also exhausted and can't do any work. So it's a continuous cycle of exhaustion, stress, and lack of sleep. It's something to be managed, and I think you setting this system for yourself will really help you.

HannahPalm August 13th, 2021

@GlenM

My life is already filled with systems to help me succeed. The most important system I have is my alone time. I take a shower, go for a walk and write in my journal every day to make sure that I have time to myself to think, express myself and make sure I am staying aligned with my true self.
AmazingDog96 August 17th, 2021

@GlenM
The key system that I need to set up in my life to help me succeed is to be more persistant with my sleeping pattern, I have too much energy sometimes but I don't focus it right. I sleep six hours a day and I lose my time by relaxing too much. The system I should implement as a daily routine should be using my time for something usefull everyday.

Three behaviours I can implement to help me gradually grow my new system are:
No playing video games untill I cleaned my house.
Sleeping healthier, create a more regular pattern of sleeping, 6 hours is enough if everyday you go to sleep and wake up in the same time.
Finishing at least one page a day of a book I'm writing for 2 years now.
All in all, I should really focus my energy on things that mean something instead of wasting it on video games and movies. By doing that my chances of success will be two times higher.

@AmazingDog96

That's a great system to implement. I hope you'll achieve what you need wink

@GlenM

The key system that I need to set up is to balance my work accordingly to reach the goal I have set up. There are times, when time slips and I couldn't do the tasks i wanted to complete within a day due to work overload. I guess this has to be rectified by forming a proper system.

1) Having proper sleep everyday. (There are certain days that due to things, I end up staying up late which causes me to be so tired the next morning and lack energy to deal with the rest of the day)

2) Planning out what need to be done to reach my goals while working on the other daily stuff as well.

3) Stop saying "later". I guess if I stopped saying that it's hard to do it today and replaced it with, "I might not be able to do everything I wanted to complete, but at least I will do a small portion"

Prachi9876 September 1st, 2021

@GlenM
(Discussion 4)

Key systems:

Taking some time out for myself
Not to choose work over mental health and family

Three Behaviours:

Consistently practice Yoga and Mindfulness
Allot a specific amount of time to all aspects of life and stick to it
Award myself with a break :)

caringHope1976 September 16th, 2021

@Prachi9876

Lovely systems! So relatable. I really hope you succeed in this.

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@GlenM

Well,

1. I think I should set limits, a lot of people are abusive and somewhat rude, and I think that both parties should have respect.
2.I think I should be more organized, look for resources such as small agendas or something more interactive
3. I also think that sometimes I am very hard on myself, so I have to work on that, I am very demanding with myself, I should take some time for myself and relax, I think it is important because I am full of work and I can not rest at all

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

i agree to set limits

yourfriend5 October 20th, 2021

@yourfriend5

1. I think many people are abusive rude and both parties should have respect.
2.I think I should look for resources such as small agendas more interactive
3. I think that I am very demanding , I should take some time for myself , it is important because I cannot rest at all

MindReader798 October 6th, 2021

The system I want to set up for myself is to be selfish when it comes to your happiness. Don't get me wrong, but I personally feel when you try to be a people pleaser, in the end that's you who would suffer. So protecting your dreams is very important. That's something which defines you and your personality.

Live and let others live- when we create an atmosphere where people are free to talk about ideas give their opinions talk about their likes and dislikes. It's kinda environment where you learn the most.

Secondly, being happy is very important. When you are happy with yourself your surroundings will automatically will get good and positive vibes from you. Its important to know what makes you happy. That makes you strong and independent when you know your happiness is not dependent only the people.

Thirdly, being consistent to a goal is a thing which matters the most. And when you know what and why you are doing it it makes your quest to the goal easier. Atleast, you won't take it as a struggle.

Moreover, when you have like-minded people around you, it keeps you sane and motivated to challenge you limits.

@Crystaldancer

3. I think that I am very demanding , I should take some time for myself , it is important because I cannot rest at all

@Crystaldancer

Love220 November 18th, 2021
  1. Great! @Crystaldancer
Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@GlenM

1. we all have different personalities, we are all attracted to different things and we should be gentle and respectful about that

2. Listening to others is like a warm hug

3. We must not judge the rest, because we must create a place of compassion, love and understanding

courageousheart96 September 27th, 2021

@Crystaldancer

Having a self-care plan which will allow you to focus on yourself and also this will help you to manage any challenges efficiently. Good luck ❤️

@Crystaldancer

well said... Listening to others is like a warm hug

Love220 November 18th, 2021

Fantastic! @Crystaldancer

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 5th, 2021

@GlenM
A key system I need to set up in my life is organizing and prioritizing my schedule. To say that I should do a specific number of assignments by the end of the day might make me finish a multitiude of tasks. However, it won't be a long-term goal that can prevent me from procrastinating. I should c hange certain behaviors in order to develop this new system for not just school assignments, but also any tasks that life throws at me. 3 behaviorfs that I think can I can implement would be to wake up every morning and list some of my major and general intentions for why I want to complete a certain task, creating an organized schedule that doesn't end up with me overworking, and also taking some time out of the day to reflect on what things have gone wrong and what things have gone right.

caringHope1976 September 16th, 2021

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

I can relate to this. I myself procrastinate a lot. You will really succeed in achieving your goals. Keep up the good job.

Izzy274 September 17th, 2021

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Hi Buddy!

Creating a system to become more organized and prioritize things more is a really good idea, hopefully, it will make it easier to achieve the things you want to instead of just aiming for goals! Listing intentions, creating a general schedule, and taking time for reflection are definitely all amazing things you could try to do that.

I really hope you're able to follow this system and achieve everything you want to :)

@TheGoodHeartedBuddy

Yes.. A key system to set up is organizing and prioritizing my schedule