Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

@kieran000

I appreciate your honesty!

gigantCloud92 March 8th, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would give a neutral response, and thank the leader for informing me. I would take some time to rationalize the situation in case I feel a bit down and reach out to the leader/my mentor regarding ways to contribute and positions open for application.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 9th, 2021

@gigantCloud92

Giving yourself time and space to rationalize the situation and then seeking for mentor and leader feedback and support are amazing tools to deal with the rejection .❤

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 9th, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

If I find out I've not been given a role I wanted and applied for , I'd feel disappointed and discouraged ofcourse, as it also takes so much thinking to find a role you want and apply for it with the intention of committing to it .

After giving some space to accept the news, I'd use it as a motivation to do better and , probably reach out to a mentor or the leader in charge of the role ,asking for feedback and how can I improve .

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Being in the place of someone who has to give feedback to others , I can imagine how hard it would be for the feedback giver too, to try and frame the information as polite as possible . So it is definitely important to not express our discouragement to them, as they are only here to bring the news and help us be better , also to keep in mind that there's certainly a second chance and I can apply again And at the end of the day, both of us are wanting to work for the betterment of the community .

I would say something like,

"Thankyou so much for informing me , I do really appreciate your time and efforts for reaching to me . I am glad you've offered me good feedback and tips on how to improve my application for the next time . I will certainly take these into consideration and apply again, when I feel ready ."

kindLemonade April 7th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

I think what you might say to the mentor sounds polite, warm and overall very lovely. I would learn from you! <3

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 7th, 2021

@Bu123

Aw thanks sweet Bu, I am glad you feel my response was overall lovely and polite and that you'd learn something. Best wishes to you ❤

Cristen April 20th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Hello hello Suniss! I really like how you elaborated on how we need to keep in mind not to express our discouragement to the feedback giver since they're only helping us to improve! We must always remember to try not to take it personally! 100% agree! blush

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 20th, 2021

@Cristen

Your responses make my day, thanks Crisss . So glad you feel the same ! 🤗❤

Cristen April 20th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Aw thank you! I enjoy reading your answers too hehe blush
ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ bear hug for you suniss!!!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 20th, 2021

@Cristen

Awwieee , that's super cuteee, bear hugs for youu tooo Crissiee🤗❤

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@Heather225 If I found out I was not given a role, I should always remain professional, respectful, and understanding. I would thank the leader who informed me and kindly ask for feedback on how I could improve or be a better fit for the role.

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

I would be sad, however, I would be excited to improve and happy to work on things that need improving to become a better me!

I would say “Thank you for informing me” and probably ask ways that I could improve my skills

AdylynS March 20th, 2021

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would feel sad and that i can do better. I would say " Thank you for informing me, I was wondering what I could do better next time, Thank you for your time!"

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Done Done Done!

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

@AdylynS great answer!

optimisticDay8079 March 21st, 2021

I would be sad but i would quickly try to think about how i can solve it. I would thank the leader for their time

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I should know that roles don't mean anything and that I'm much more than a badge, however, I would be motivated to try again.

I would ask the leader to provide me some feedback for sure!

marvelloustree1111 April 1st, 2021

@Heather225

In case I didn't get a role I wanted, I would be down but at the same time remember that it is an incentive to get better with my listening skills and response and that I should understand the role I am applying for better. I would also see if the role is fit for me, and work on my flaws.

I would thank the leader for informing me about the result and ask them in what other ways I can contribute and also ask them about any confusions I have.

Cristen April 20th, 2021

@marvelloustree1111
You're absolutely right! Even if we're not fit for the role, we can always ask about how we can contribute in other ways too! blush

pamharley003 April 4th, 2021

@Heather225

I would understand that maybe the role I applied for was not at that time meant for me and work on achieving the goals to maybe apply later one once I understood it better

@pamharley003

that sounds like a constructive way to move forward! I do hope you get the role you want though <3

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

I think I'd definitely felt discouraged at first since it's sad news. But I usually don't dwell on things that I can't change at the moment so I would use this opportunity to ask the leader who messaged me about what part of the application I can improve. I actually was denied roles two or three times before and later nominated into one so I thought that taking the failure and turning it around can really pay off :)

@herealways27

thank you for sharing, I'm so proud of you for keep on trying and cỏngatulation on getting nominated! it's inspiring to hear your story.

@Heather225

I think I would be dissapointed, but I wil ltalk to my mentor and coach to help me and find an alternative of how I can still be supportive within my interest and capablities.

UnicornsCottonCandy April 7th, 2021

@Heather225

Although I would be disappointed, I will not take the news personally and let it discourage me to prevent myself from keep making an effort to get a role next time. I will thank the leader for delievering the news and also my mentor who has supported me. As everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times I will reapply for the role and take the feedback that are given to me by heart. I will also take some time for self-care to relieve the negative feelings I might feel after hearing the news to recover myself so I can try again.

shiningSky3745 April 12th, 2021

I'd obviously feel a lil said but in the end I wasn't given to it as I may not be the best fit and I'll use it as a motivation to help me succeed the next time I feel I am ready for the role

I'll ask them when can u apply again and if there is a way they can help me grow so that I am able to be a good for for the role by the time I apply again

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@shiningSky3745 Growth is super important shining! I loved your answer <3

MarleyR April 19th, 2021

@shiningSky3745 Asking when to apply again shows your determination in being an active leader.

cuteeeezombieeee April 20th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

Awesome response!

giggleZebra2708 April 21st, 2021

@shiningSky3745

Development and Growth is important and thanks for sharing the information

May 22nd, 2021

@shiningSky3745 Glad you will look to self-care after the sadness and then will look to learn to be able to apply again.

peacefulIris56 June 6th, 2021

@shiningSky3745 Yes. Persistence, motivation and optimism are all good virtues to have in order to find future opportunities.

helpfuldipper June 10th, 2021

@shiningSky3745 I like the postivity in your attitude.

FlourishingDimensions June 22nd, 2021

@shiningSky3745 I love that you'd use it as motivation! Right on :) I am going to remember to frame it this way!

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

Hello!

I am glad that you would see it as a growing experience more than just failing a test or something like that. I believe that there is always a chance to improve and we can achieve our goals if we are perseverant.

Crystaldancer September 3rd, 2021

@shiningSky3745

It is important to recognize, very good work :)

lyricalSea85 November 5th, 2021

@shiningSky3745

Loved your perseverance to the goals you've set. Keep rocking!! ✨

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
“The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right.” Hannah Whitall Smith
Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@Heather225 I would be dejected at first, but then I would make sure to not let this experience bring me down. I would keep on trying to improve. I would ask the leader about how I can do better, and thank them for their time.

cuteeeezombieeee April 20th, 2021

@Readylistener

It's great that you'd keep on trying!

peacefulIris56 May 21st, 2021

@Readylistener

I like the fact that you don't let rejection defeat you. Instead you are open to feedback, improvement and growth and working with others.