Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Cazzy8752 July 11th, 2021

Hi @Daf8 Your right its never the end of the world, but the shock and/or sadness is normal when we don't get the role. Asking for feedback is important, so we can prepare ourselves for applying again. Or for another position that may come along. Wishing you all the best ❤

Daf8 July 27th, 2021
heart @Cazzy8752 heart
heart Thank you for your incredibly clever words and thoughts, and for your lovely wishes! I appreciate your kindness, brightness and greatness. Keep being you! heart
bookworm274 August 31st, 2020

@Daf8

I think it

Daf8 August 31st, 2020

@bookworm274

heart Ohh, thank you so much! I highly appreciate it heart

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 2nd, 2020

@Daf8 Great replies well done !!! heart I see your post on the site and leadership program and you are such a blessing !!! I can see you in so many roles !!!

Tye heart

Daf8 September 2nd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

heart Ohhh, thank you! That means so, so much! heart

heart I would love to, if I have the time. heart
heart However, you are the blessing here heart

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@Daf8

Feedback and persistence are wonderful strategies.

Daf8 September 3rd, 2020

@SynSavory

heart I agree! Thank you heart

September 9th, 2020

@Daf8

Thats very postive perspective to look at things, i love them.

*Makes notes of the same*

LittleBirdie30 September 11th, 2020

@Daf8 I sometimes forget that not getting something I applied for isn't the end of the world. Things always happen for a reason!

Daf8 September 11th, 2020

heart @LittleBirdie30 @Magicallykermit58 heart

heart Thank you both for your kind words! You are amazing heart

shiningSound31 September 15th, 2020

@Daf8

Great answers, Daf8 heart It is practice and our endeavour for continuous improvement that helps us shine in the long run.

Daf8 September 16th, 2020

heart @shiningSound31 heart

heart And here we see a shining person talking about shine... heart

pizzaiscool September 24th, 2020

@Daf8

I love that! There's no time limit on when you should feel ready again! The moment you're okay with the idea, go for it!

Daf8 September 25th, 2020

heart @pizzaiscool heart

heart Thank you for your words! I highly appreciate them heart

TogetherForeverAlways October 1st, 2020

@Daf8

heart Thank you for your inputs heart

*Hugs*

heartheartheartheart

Daf8 October 1st, 2020

heart @WatchingOverYou heart

heart Thank you for your words! *Hugs* heart

KatePersephone October 3rd, 2020

@Daf8 i love this response!

Daf8 October 4th, 2020

heart @kateaala heart

heart Thank you for your kind words! heart

YoungMonastic007 October 11th, 2020

@Daf8

Perfect.

Daf8 October 12th, 2020

heart @YoungMonastic007 heart

heart Just like you! heart

wanjiku November 30th, 2020

@Daf8

sincere and realistic. i like that

Daf8 November 30th, 2020

heart @wanjiku heart

heart And I like your words and kindness! Thank you heart

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@Daf8

I really appreciate your honesty about how you would react and how you would handle that news. I also think it is very mature and I think you'd be a great addition to the leadership program for that reason.

Best of luck on your LDP Journey!

Daf8 February 12th, 2021

heart @warmLove3625 heart

heart Thank you for your kind words! I highly appreciate your sweetness and thoughtfulness, and, obviously, your lovely response and appreciation. I think you are an amazing person doing a great work. You are an awesome part of 7 Cups! Keep being who you are, and have a day as incredible as you! heart

Kieran000 March 8th, 2021

@Daf8

You're amazing Daf!!

Daf8 March 8th, 2021

heart @kieran000 heart

heart Thank you, but *you* are! heart

windSpirit March 8th, 2021

@Daf8 I agree on your summarization. After all, being rejected is not the end of the world and doing more practice and asking for feedback is all that matters. Thank you.

Daf8 March 8th, 2021

heart @windSpirit heart

heart Happy to hear that you agree! Yes, we can always improve, take care and keep trying! Thank *you* for your kind words heart

Chloe563 March 15th, 2021

@Daf8

Great response! I love it, I agree! Well done💜💜

Daf8 March 17th, 2021

heart @Rhlexia520 heart

heart Happy to hear that you agree and love it! Thank you for your appreciation, kindness, sweetness, support and encouraging words. Congratulations on being such an amazing part of the community! Your work is tremendously appreciated heart

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@Daf8 This makes so much sense!

Daf8 April 17th, 2021

heart @Readylistener heart

heart Thank you! However, what makes sense is your awesomeness heart

Brinaa101 July 9th, 2021

@Daf8

Yes! practice helps a lot!

Daf8 July 27th, 2021
heart @Brinaa101 heart
heart Thank you for your insight, great person! heart
Livingtohelplive January 31st, 2022

Hello there!

I love your answer!

I cherish and appreciate that you pointed out that calming part, selfcare is truly truly important.

Sending strenght and energy,

Lots of love.🌸Hana🌸

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@Daf8

So inspiringly explained !

Glue June 29th, 2022

@Daf8

Well said. Applying again when you're ready is something I'll have to practice, it's so easy for me to want to try again out of frustration, so as to not have to feel the disappointment!

kenzolena August 5th, 2022

@Daf8

this is quite handy and very helpfull

PeaceLoveandPaws August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you? You should respond with questions for how to improve or steps you can take so that, the next time you apply, you will be better prepared for the role you are looking for.