Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

ouiCherie January 3rd, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

Very wise Tye <3

And totally agreed it's just like job hunting in real life. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't :)

See you around! (❁´◡`❁)

Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 17th, 2021

@ouiCherie Thank you very much !

beautifulSeal9714 January 17th, 2021

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

That is a nice post :)

Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 17th, 2021

@beautifulSeal9714 Thanks so much !

positivePumpkin22 September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I think I would respond quite okay, because every role on 7cups from becoming a listener to community managers, each role is very special and extraordinary. It is quite an honour to be a listener itself and I completely understand that I wont be perfect for every role. I think the best reward you get is that happiness when you help someone and you dont need a badge or role to help anyone. So while applying for any role, I remind myself clearly that I may not make it and thats completely okay.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would tell them that i respect their decision and i completely understand. And if they give me a chance to apply or try again after sometime, i would be happy to take another shot.

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

The way that you would react is incredibly inspiring to see! Very truthful in the words you spoke :)

positivePumpkin22 September 2nd, 2020

@smolecho thank you echo. <3

September 3rd, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

I love what you mentioned about the value of simply helping others out. There is no badge or role that equals the happiness of knowing that you were able to support someone

shiningDay80 September 4th, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

Happiness is so very important Pumpkin. Some may find themselves applying for roles and it may end up not being something they really like. Great insight!

00Michelle00 February 3rd, 2022

@shiningDay80

See the light in each other. Be the light for each other.” Anonymous

crystalclearnow September 11th, 2020

@positivePumpkin22

Grear perspective, we are all contributing in an important way.

herealways27 April 6th, 2021

The way you react is really inspiring and peaceful, thank you for sharing!

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@positivePumpkin22

You worded it nicely. Great answer!

Livingtohelplive January 31st, 2022

Hello there!

I love How you mentioned happiness as an important aspect of What you do.

i truly agree. The warm feeling is something which brings me more life to every inch of my life.

Sending strenght and energy,

Lots of love.🌸Hana🌸

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If you weren't given the role you want, there must've been a reason as to why. I would ask the leader for some feedback on how I can improve, and if there are still any available spots on the team/role. Asking for feedback is so important! I absolutely believe that I have learned so much by just talking to listeners on the site and asking for feedback when it comes to the things I do on the site.

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@smolecho

I agree, and while there are "reasons".....maybe these reasons are not facts (they are a singular person's opinion), and so it's best to find someone else who is willing to teach new things and give you a "reason" to learn more. :)

In due time, the "reason" for leaving turns out for the better.

Petrichor2000 September 7th, 2020

@smolecho

I agree with you. Feedback helps.

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

If I found out about something like this, I would respond with sadness but try to move on with the learning opportunity because there are many more opportunities across different modalities and industries. Sometimes, in the working world, the competitor or another company sees more value in you than your original employer did not see. Plus, it could yield a domino effect towards something greater than what was originally anticipated.

To a leader, I would not say much and thank them for their time. I would remain polite and appreciate the learning opportunity.

September 3rd, 2020

@SynSavory

I like what you said about thanking the leader. Even though we may be upset, showing appreciation and gratitude is still valuable.

MistyMagic September 4th, 2020

@IvyL It is probably one of the hardest parts of my role when I have to pass on that an applicant hasn't been successful. But I do feel that it is good to know rather than not be told and be left wondering.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

ouiCherie January 3rd, 2021

@MistyMagic

I was just mentioned this in my answer and now I saw it in your comment xD

Very wise Misty, a NO is so much better than nothing (●'◡'●) Thank you for being compassionate 💖

MistyMagic January 3rd, 2021

@ouiCherie Hey! Of course the 'no' is in a message that gives feedback and areas that can be worked on, it could be a simple thing like needing more 1-1 chats or it could be something else. I like to think that I can help the applicant rather than the opposite. It is a hard task for sure! Butterfly

Readylistener April 15th, 2021

@SynSavory Thanking the leader is such a great point, I completely agree :)

September 3rd, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
Rejection, whether it be for a role on 7 Cups or some other application in real life, is not easy. On 7 Cups, I have been told 'no' when it comes to a role before and it definitely hurts. However, I would ask the leader where I am falling short as a member of a community or what areas I could improve in, and try to formulate a plan to address the shortcomings. I would also take some time from myself away from the site to self-care, and remind myself that the rejection is not an a statement of my character or worth as a person on the whole.

@IvyL

Rejection definitely sucks. You are passionate about wanting to improve to be able to get roles. Don't give up!heart

QuietMagic September 7th, 2020

@IvyL "the rejection is not an a statement of my character or worth as a person on the whole" Well said! Slightly smiling

Jili February 28th, 2021

@VioletVenom

awesome steps and great ideas!

@Heather225

I would be disappointed but I would jump right into getting feedback to get a better understanding of what I need to improve on so that I can take the time to work on it and hope for the best the next time I apply. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

@shiningDay80 "I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason." I like that--one way I could imagine that happening is if it just wasn't the right time to be put into the role, but getting rejected motivated improvements that resulted in being able to get the role in the future (or those improvements just have intrinsic value regardless of the role).

@shiningDay80

I am a firm believer of that too. And aw it's nice to know your response.

Zahraa000 February 21st, 2022

Well done 👍🏻

@Heather225

I would ask for feedback, and ask if there were any areas I needed to work on, was it behaviour reports that prevented me getting the role, was there anything I could do about that, When might I re-apply.

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

@Heather225 I think this is a very important topic and I hope that everyone, not just those on the LDP could read it.

JaimieF September 8th, 2020

@MistyMagic I totally agree! This topic is important and practical. <3

VerseArt September 6th, 2020

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I should thank them for informing me, taking the time out in reviewing my application, and providing the necessary feedback.

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

- Thank you for taking the time out in informing me. I really appreciate it. I'll work on the feedback you have provided and get back to you if I have any doubts.

@VerseArt I like your kindness/consideration for the person reviewing and providing the feedback. Red heart

FrenchToast November 13th, 2020

@VerseArt That's a very nice and humble approach to them. Thanks for sharing ~

blindHeart12 April 18th, 2021

@VerseArt

Get clarity and thanking them later for giving time to review and giving you feedback. That good approach VerseArt.

@Heather225

"That is completely okay--thanks for letting me know. I understand that you want to pick the people that will do best in the role."

[If leader hasn't yet shared reason for rejection] "If you're able to share, I'd be curious to know what I was lacking in so that I can work on that before applying again (or consider something else if I'm just not a good fit)."

[If leader has shared reason for rejection] Thank them for the information and then think on my own about whether I'm interested/able to work on those things and re-apply or if I want to direct my energy to something else that would be a better fit.

[If I were really upset] Hold off on sharing these feelings with the leader who informed me. Either process these feelings on my own, take a self-care break, or reach out to a mentor/peer supporter to discuss my feelings and possible next steps.

@QuietMagic

Hey hugs 🤗🤗. You are really a strong person.