Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #8) When you don't get the role you want

Heather225 August 27th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

azuladragon34 August 29th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Very true Paws

Daf8 August 30th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

heart Exactly! heart

shiningDay80 September 4th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Preparation is Key! You got this Paws!

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws I thought your reflection and being able to work on self improvement is very honorable! <3

May 30th, 2021

Hi @PeaceLoveandPaws! I thought your response was very well written. I agree with the fact that preparation is definitely very important.

azuladragon34 August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?: I would respond in a civilised and calm manner. I would thank the leader who informed me and ask them where I went wrong and how I could improve

Daf8 August 30th, 2020

@azuladragon34

heart That's amazing! heart

CheeryMango August 30th, 2020

@azuladragon34 Well said

blissart August 31st, 2020

@azuladragon34

appreciate ur thoughts Azul, staying calm and seeking feedback is the best way

Irena0225 September 10th, 2020

@azuladragon34 Improve is the key!

KindnessMatters2020 October 9th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Love the fact that you want feedback for improvement so you can get the role you want! Very smart :)

blindHeart12 April 18th, 2021

@azuladragon34

Azul that really good approach you have. Calm and asking more information.

blissart August 31st, 2020

@Heather225

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

I would reach ot to the leader of that project and get the feedback which led to my non seletion for that role. I would also ask them (or mentor) for advice on how can i improve on certain areas to apply again

Daf8 August 31st, 2020

@blissart

heart That's awesome heart

bookworm274 August 31st, 2020

@blissart

Agreed! I think asking for improvement is a great thing to do.

LittleBirdie30 September 11th, 2020

@blissart This is great Bliss! I think this kind of information can even help us in real life in our careers and similar things!

Yourstruly2000 October 2nd, 2020

@blissart

the point on reaching out to a mentor is noteworthy, we sometimes forget that we can actually reach out for help!! I would like to thank you for your tireless contribution to the community!! You rock!!

SofiaT2000 October 31st, 2020

@blissart Asking for feedback is a great idea! Well done!

DancingHeart4982 December 18th, 2021

@blissart

Nice answer! Wish I could think like this!

bookworm274 August 31st, 2020

@Heather225

If I found out I wasnt given a role I would be upset but after getting past the initial reaction of the news I would respond politely and probably take the rest of the day to myself so that I wouldnt bring a negative/upset atmosphere to the platform. I would thank the leader for taking the time to inform me and ask them what I could do in order to be able to apply again with a better chance of succeeding.

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

@bookworm274

Taking time to understand and overcome the initial shock of not receiving a role is super important!

MistyMagic September 4th, 2020

@bookworm274 nicely put Bookworm!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Irena0225 September 10th, 2020

@bookworm274 Very nice answeryes

crystalclearnow September 11th, 2020

@bookworm274

i really like your answer. Self-care at this time is important.

pizzaiscool September 24th, 2020

@bookworm274

I love that even during a distressing moment you're still putting th community first. Sounds like a great leader

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

Great leader always puts the community first

FerociousFury August 31st, 2020

Leaders are like soyabeans

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225smiley

I would throw a Hissy fit - No I wouldn't lol I would understand and realize that I would need to step back and think about why I didn't and work on my weaknesses and try again. Ask how I can improve and take the feedback and build from it and decide if maybe the role was not really for me and check out some others and see .. Have a chat with my Mentor . Not all roles are for everyone just like a job out in our real life not all jobs are for everyone.. yes

Tyeheart

September 3rd, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I think you bring up an important point when you say that 'not all roles are for everyone.' Oftentimes, we get all caught up in the excitement of our roles, and it gets to the point where we are almost collecting the roles as trophies to put in our collection. I think it's really important to evaluate why we were aiming for a role, and how that may affect why we may not have been accepted into the role.

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 3rd, 2020

@IvyL You are so correct and when I first came to the site and realized how things worked here I was all for those badges/roles and I got burnt out and drained and ended up leaving 5 teams and stopped doing 18 sessions a month sometimes more or less but yes that many.. I wanted to be that perfect person doing everything... I realized that ME mattered also and I did not need them all so i dropped some and picked up ones that work for me and my time and when I can be here or not be here..

It is about how well you can do in the roles and how you are doing in your real life and making sure your real life is first heart.

Badges are cool do not get me wrong or roles people pick .. just make sure you are doing them for the right reasons and that you do not get burnt out and feel mentally and physically shaken..

September 4th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65

I think a lot of listeners, myself included, can relate to that rush of getting roles at the start of listener journey. Sadly, a lot of us end up burning out and leaving the site, and I think we often forget why we came to the site in the first place after a while: we wanted, at our core, to help people, to support those who find themselves giving out with the stress of life, to cheer those on who have no one else.

When it comes to roles, I've realized in my years on here that it is important to pursue the ones that you love, in the areas of the site that you enjoy spending time in, or you'll only be burning yourself out, bit by bit. As always, it comes down to properly balancing your time on 7 Cups and off, the time you spend in self-care, and finding what truly makes you happy and motivated to log on each and every day

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 4th, 2020

@IvyL Yes all very true and how I feel .. exactlyheart

Cazzy8752 July 11th, 2021

Hi Tyedyedbutterfly65 Thank you for sharing this very helpful insight from your own experience. I had been feeling the same wanting to offer support to many communities, and I realized where is my me time and family time. Its vital to have the time for our own self care, our families and to have a healthy balance with all our commitments. Its difficult to offer support to others from a burnt out fuel tank. Hugs to you ❤

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

Agreed!... 'not all roles are for everyone.'

MistyMagic September 4th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 heehee @hissyfit!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 4th, 2020

@MistyMagiccheeky lol well I had to throw in some flavor right !! I can throw a hissy fit as good as anyone else ask my Hubby lol...

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 Loved your humor! But in all seriousness, you're exactly right. Not all jobs are a good fit for everyone! We need to remind ourselves of this often. <3

Tyedyedbutterfly65 September 10th, 2020

@CompassionateDreamer8522heart Thank you !! smiley

Anexmos December 9th, 2020

@Tyedyedbutterfly65 remarkable words and amazing spirit and attitude. heart

Tyedyedbutterfly65 January 17th, 2021

Thanks ! :)