Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #3) The Detriments of Gossip

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Our next objective in this course is to master effective communication skills for healthy interpersonal and professional relationships.

Don't Gossip - Deepstash

Please watch this video
1. Why is gossiping bad?
2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
3. Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Yourstruly2000 August 24th, 2020

@Heather225

gossiping is bad because in majority of times we end up setting ourselves on a toxic cycle. Like for instance, if i am gossiping with someone else. They will automatically feel the need to gossip about me with someone else, initially this might feel not a big deal but it triggers a toxic and harmful system

the statement that i agree with in the video , is that i dont know the situation of the person that we are talking about or their perception , so i am in no place to comment on it

Thank you

@yourstruly2000

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

Good answer

CheeryMango August 25th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

i love your enthusiasm and energy that you bring into LSR each time heart

blissart August 25th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

well explained the harmful effects of gossiping

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 25th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000yes Spot on when you have someone saying something to you about someone then they are behind your back talking about you too and odds are saying that you are the one saying things about that third person.....

I could care less if people talk about me but if you are gonna talk about me at least be truthful .. smiley

KindnessMatters2020 August 25th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

I 100% agree with your comment about the toxic cycle. I really appreciate your ability to see how it can continue and become an ongoing pattern. I am so glad you are here <3

shiningDay80 August 26th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

You're always so encouraging and I love it! keep it up!

LittleBirdie30 September 1st, 2020

@Yourstruly2000 I love your response! I always start to feel bad when my best friend is gossiping because I start to worry she talks about me to other people.

Rebekah September 3rd, 2020

@Yourstruly2000, I see what you mean regarding the system. It can be a little like a vicious cycle. I love your answer 🙂

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000 - Toxic cycle. Perfect summary of what gossip is and does. Great work!

giggleSun1695 November 28th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000

I completely agree!

shiningSky3745 March 31st, 2021

@Yourstruly2000

I totally agree

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

1) Gossiping is malice and it's negative. Gossiping can hurt others and cause rumours.

2) I don't know the other person's side, so I prefer not to discuss anything about what they're thinking or feeling in their absence.

shiningDay80 August 28th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Rumors can also unfortunately shape a person's character. I just want to let you know you are great and you are one of a kind! smiley

azuladragon34 August 28th, 2020

@shiningDay80

Thanks Shining. You are a one of a kind too ❤

LittleBirdie30 September 1st, 2020

@azuladragon34 I love your statement that you don't know the other side of the story so you don't want to engage in gossip! heart

crystalclearnow September 4th, 2020

@azuladragon34

That's a great response- when we dont know the other side of the story, it is your preference not to respond behind their back. :)

blissart August 25th, 2020

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gosssiping puts us and the other person in bad limelight. Its harmful for the reputation of both and we are at risk of losing trust of others around us

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!

I dont know enough of the situation to comment on it

MistyMagic August 25th, 2020

@blissart Yes! It can harm reputations, once the seed of doubt is planted it can grow and be very difficult to rebuild trust on someone.

p.s love the blue highlighting!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

cocoakrispies121 September 3rd, 2020

@blissart

I like the option you chose for a response! It seems to be very popular!

dancingMoment7201 September 28th, 2020

@blissart

nice answer,

mamtasha22 May 11th, 2021

@blissart

Yes it puts both in risk I would not trust someone if I see them gossiping about someone else

MistyMagic August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad?

Gossiping is usually saying negative things about others behind their back and so spreading rumours. It can be very bad because it changes the way people look, and it also changes the way people look at you. It can be hurtful and damaging and expand on the feeling of cliqueness that we are trying to be rid of.

Stopping gossiping is like stopping sugar! I have a sweet tooth so I understand this statement and I can empathise with trying to do this. In my leadership roles I do have to sometimes discuss listeners so I do think there is a difference between gossiping about a person which is not useful, and respectfully discussing a candidate or applicant and their talents and strong points.

3. Please reply to 3 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Okay will do!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 25th, 2020

@MistyMagicyes Love love your replies !

KindnessMatters2020 August 25th, 2020

@MistyMagic

You are so insightful! I didn't even think about perpetuating cliquishness, but you are so right! Great input and I am so glad I can learn from you! Thank you :)

PeaceLoveandPaws August 25th, 2020

@MistyMagic

I love that you talked about how gossip reinforces chiquishness.

softMusic9759 August 28th, 2020

@MistyMagic I love how you were able to connect the statement from your video to your own life! <3

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 3rd, 2020

@MistyMagic

Loved your response!! As someone with sweet tooth, I totally can relate and understand :)

crystalclearnow September 4th, 2020

@MistyMagic

I love your answers, Misty. Gossiping can make the other person look bad and the one who spreads it is also viewed negatively.

This one is the best heartstopping gossip is like stopping sugar. It can be addictive :)

CintaBali September 24th, 2020

@MistyMagic

Love the sweet tooth analogy - well done. Thanks

August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

▶︎ Why is gossiping bad?
Gossip is based around putting others down behind their backs for your own gain. This not only hurts the person being gossipped about, but those who spread gossip and the community as a whole. By gossipping, you may temporarily portray yourself in a more positive light, but this soon fades into distrust and negativity, as those you interact with will not know if you can be trusted or if you will in turn gossip about them behind their backs. This breakdown of trust detracts from the community as a whole, making it difficult to feel like you belong or are welcome.

▶︎ List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies!
I don't know the other person's perspective, so I prefer to not discuss what I think they were thinking or feeling in their absence.

@IvyL

Great answer!

QuietMagic August 26th, 2020

@IvyL I really like your insight that any imagined benefits to the person doing the gossiping, whether in social image or a sense of belongingness, would probably be short-lived before turning into the opposite of what they hoped for. Also like the statement you picked. Slightly smiling

CompassionateDreamer8522 September 10th, 2020

@IvyL What a fantastic overall statement about the effectsof gossip. Great job!

Jili February 28th, 2021

@VioletVenom

I like your statement!

IcicleSnown May 25th, 2021

@Lysandra

Wonderful responses!

Textingpals October 17th, 2021

Very true!

@Heather225

1. Why is gossiping bad? Gossiping is bad because it diminishes the trust others have in you.

2. List a statement you learned from this video to stop gossiping in the replies! "I don't know enough about the situation to comment'

QuietMagic August 26th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws Loss of trust makes sense: "If you're talking about that other person, what's to say you won't talk about me next time?"

BeautifulMasterpiece October 15th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Trust is very important in any relationship, and realizing that helps you be more active and more reliable in your relationships!