Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 3: When you don't get the role you want

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Hello, students! Let's talk leadership!

Many of you have or will apply for certain roles that interest you! And some times we get it and some times we don't! It can be difficult to find out that we didn't get the role, but we can control how we react to it.

Here are some DOs and DON'Ts:

- DO talk to the leader of the role that you applied for and get some input on what you can/need to do in order to get the role next time! Be aware though most leaders of these roles are busy so give it some time!

- DON'T bring the issue into the support rooms. If you are upset, talking to a peer supporter about how you are feeling is ok!

- DO take some self-care, self-care is good for any occasion but its best to deal with those feelings of failure or disappointment outside of 7 cups, things like going on your member account can be so helpful to overcome some of these feelings

- DON'T think that you are obligated to stay on 7 cups right after finding out bad news, especially if you are in LSR/TL and you see other listeners who have gotten the role that you wanted! It can be hard to deal with and it can cause unneeded jealousy or hurt on your part! Not everyone is like this but if you think that this is a possibility that you can think this way staying away might be a great option!

- DON'T take it personally, everyone is ready at different times. It can be hard for us to realize this but just because someone got the role and they might have been here in less or the same amount of time doesn't mean that you personally are ready! Everyone grows and accomplishes things at different times!

- DO get a mentor, in general its a good idea to get a mentor but for things like your goals on 7 cups mentors can be great and helpful! They can give you feedback, do mock chats with you, and overall help you with your goals as I said before!

- DON'T think you have to apply for every role and every team out there! There is time you don't have to apply for everything! Its super easy to burnout that way, and that can lead to more "rejection" and hurt that none of us want!

*Never let not getting a role the first time discourage you! You will be told when you can apply again and use the feedback that you get to better yourself when you can/decide that you are ready to! practice makes perfect none for us are perfect and no one will ever be! Its a good thing to remember no matter your role as a listener your help is greatly appreciated and you are still helping so many people!*

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

pandanfe August 30th, 2023

@FrenchToast

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?
If i found out I wasn't given a role, I would kindly ask for the feedback and areas of improvement. I would also thank the leader for taking time to evaluate my progress and inform me about the result.

warmheartedCamp3360 September 22nd, 2023

@pandanfe crisp and concise !! Well done panda 🐼

LightsFromDark September 11th, 2023
@טוסט צרפתי I know how to accept no. I see this with great understanding and am not moved by it. If the job is really important to me and it's something I really want - I'll fight for it. I will find out the reason why they didn't accept me and I will try to improve until they accept me and prove that I am suitable according to the feedback. At the same time, I will think about whether I really like the role, or if I can contribute in another role, etc.
warmheartedCamp3360 September 22nd, 2023

@FrenchToast

Though we might be naturally disappointed, it's important to respond in a composed and constructive manner. Also demonstrating maturity, a positive attitude, and a willingness to remain engaged and supportive is what's more crucial.

We can approach the leader who informed us to give some inputs about what is expected and how we can improve.

LoveMyMoonflowers September 23rd, 2023

✒️Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

This is what I would say:

Hi (Insert Leader’s Name) Thank you so much for letting me know 💛 I appreciate that. If it’s okay, do you think you could let me know how I can improve? I would appreciate it very much 💛 But if you’re not really comfy with that, that’s okies too :3

Again, thank you so much for letting me know. I hope you have an awesome pawesome day/night! 💛

LOOPHOLE October 6th, 2023

@FrenchToast

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Ans :- Hi, thank you for informing me about this and to be honest I'm a bit upset but also motivated to work on my shortcomings and get a role in my next chance. Your feedback would be appreciated. 

bestBraveheart57 October 11th, 2023

@LOOPHOLE

Hi, Loop. It's impressive that we can accept such rejection with an open heart to work on our shortcoming and expecting feedback.

bestBraveheart57 October 11th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Hearing unapproval news is challenging, especially as I choose role that i concerned the most, but I'm OK. I will connect with Mentors to improve my skills. I hope I can join the team at the next opportunity. Can I get feedback on things I can do better to suit this role? Thank you in advance.

Grace3012 October 23rd, 2023

@bestBraveheart57

Awsome , keep going!

Grace3012 October 23rd, 2023

@FrenchToast

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Thank you so much for getting back to me. It's a disappointment that i couldn't get the role I wanted to. Can you let me know in which areas should I work harder so that I can improve and try again?! Thanking you!

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@Grace3012 Awesome pawsome work typing a good response! :P

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@FrenchToast

"Dear (team leader's name),

I hope this message finds you in good health. I greatly appreciate you reaching out to inform me of my role application status. While my rejection is a bit disappointing, I see it as a good learning opportunity. I would be very thankful if you could provide me with detailed feedback as to why the team leaders do not find me a good fit for the role. I appreciate your time and understanding. 

Best regards,
Rain."

8grim8 November 11th, 2023

@ChillingRain

Nice! Your response seems professional and well-written:)

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@ChillingRain

Hello, Rain! Your response sounds confident and professional. It also shows how eager you are to learn from feedback and try for other roles on 7 Cups! Keep the amazing work up! 😁💗

~ Xaverie

8grim8 November 11th, 2023

@FrenchToast

If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond?

I would not respond badly, as it can be an understandable thing. I would try and understand the things that may have disqualified me from getting the role, and if possible try and work on those things so that if I was to try again that I can ensure things will turn out better. :)

What would you say to the leader who has informed you?:

I would tell them thank you for their time and for notifying me of the news, and that it is not too big of a deal. That I would/may not try again depending on whether it is achievable or not for the timebeing

ABrightBlueHeart December 4th, 2023

@8grim8

Acceptance, gratitude for their time, and the promise to improve. You've written the perfect response! :)

WeEarth November 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

• In response to not getting the role, I would express gratitude for the opportunity, ask for constructive feedback, and convey my commitment to improving. I'd thank the leader for their time and guidance.
  • To my peer, your resilience shines through challenges. Embrace the process, learn from it, and keep pursuing your goals. You've got this! 💪🌟
Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@WeEarth Love this response! Go you 🌟

Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

I would thank them for the opportunity and the time they took to review my application, and ask for constructive feedback so when I apply for a different role, I can make improvements. 

I won't let it discourage me, when one door closes another one opens :) 

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@Shannon1996

i think your comment about when one door closes another opens is an important thing to remember when we don’t get a role that we wanted.

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToast

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.  I understand.  Is there something I can do to improve my skills so that I can get the role when I apply at a later time?

ABrightBlueHeart December 4th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Thank you for considering my application! I immensely appreciate the opportunity, and the time you took out to provide feedback! If you have any other advice on how I can improve, I would be grateful if you shared them. I'm eager to learn and grow, and your insights would be incredibly valuable to me. 

I understand that I may not be the right fit at this time. Could you please let me know when the next opportunity to apply might arise? I'm eager to contribute in any way I can :)

Thank you!

Comfortablesmile December 12th, 2023

Question: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hi,

Thank you for informing me about it and I'm really grateful for this great privilege. Can i get some genuine feedback from you on where i faulted?. I will continue to put up a good fight and you will get your desired congratulations.

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

Hi leader, I really did want this position.  But i understand i need more experience.

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

Hi leader, I really did want this position.  But i understand i need more experience.

Rosey16 December 19th, 2023

@dreamIcicle8467

great job

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Hello there! I am sending this to thank you for considering me for the role on 7 Cups. I truly appreciate the opportunity and the time you invested in the selection process. After hearing your decision, I wanted to let you know that while I'm naturally a bit disappointed, I understand that tough decisions have to be made. Although this particular role may not have worked out, I am still very much committed to contributing to the community in any way that I can. I would like to ask if there is any feedback that you can provide me with regarding my application. That would help me grow both personally and professionally. Additionally, if there are any opportunities or areas where I can contribute on this platform, I would be more than happy to explore them. Thank you for your time! 

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Done! 🌸✨

~ Xaverie

NewYorker11 January 9th

@crypticwhisperss1

wow, very nice plan for being positive about not getting the leadership role you wanted!

Rosey16 December 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Hi 'Leader's Username',

Thank you so much for getting back to me. While I am a little disappointed, I'm grateful for your time and consideration in reading my application. If you have a few minutes, I would really appreciate some feedback to help me improve with future applications. I wish you all the best.

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@Rosey16

Great reply. It is helpful to get constructive feedback.

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Responding should be taken with a reflective, courteous response.

If presented with a "decline" by a leader:

Hi (leader). Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate the opportunity to apply. I would, so much, to get feedback of what happened in my application, that I was unsuccessful. Thank you.

In the meantime, I look forward to serving 7 Cups, to the best of my ability & knowledge. Please take care.

Soul576 December 28th, 2023

@CaringSub

That's such an amazing response, it's so great that to acknowledge that you have areas to improve!

Soul576 December 28th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Hi [leaders name],

Thank you for reaching out to me, and thank you so much for taking the time to look over my application. If you have the time I would appreciate some feedback on how I can improve for future applications. I hope you have a great day/night.

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@Soul576 Great responseeeee

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@FrenchToastQuestion: If you find out you were not given a role, how should you respond? What would you say to the leader who has informed you?

Hello, Thanks for the updated information. I am delighted to get the role, however, I think I applied to another role which is ---. If by any chance, can I know why I wasn't selected to be there or anything I can try to get this? I appreciate for the opportunity again.

Lillom January 2nd

A balanced and well-thought up response. Keep it up!

Lillom January 2nd

Hello Leader,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I would like to thank you firstly for considering my application, but however am disappointed likewise. If you are available, would you be able to provide some feedback to help me improve my application for future instances? It would be much appreciated. Once again, I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,
Lillom

NewYorker11 January 9th

@FrenchToast

if i found out that i was not given a role, i would respond by remaining emotionally calm and realizing that there is always a "next time". i would respond to the corresponding leader who gave me the disappointing news, by saying "thank you so much for your message and for your time, i greatly appreciate it!"

ReganL January 27th

@NewYorker11

Short and simple is always a good way to go! esp if the news hits hard.

Great work your doing a good job, 

~ Regan

NewYorker11 January 28th

@ReganL

thanks so much @ReganL and you too, you are doing an awesome job here on 7 Cups!