Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 1: Service Leadership at 7 Cups

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

The term Service leadership (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in which the main goal of the leader is to serve). Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

We've long said that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually you'll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

Service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Don't take on more than you are able. If you don't have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters!

If you'd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If you're not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

January 4th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is where the goal of the leader is to serve. An example seen on 7Cups, are leaders which serve the subcommunity for example forum supporters and room supporters. They have the goal of serving the sub community. I like the idea of the leaders dedication to growth and putting the needs of their team members first.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

I will do when a peer appears

TheFantasticPengua January 5th, 2023

@LlamaLizz

hello! you rock!

starryCandy6123 December 9th, 2023

Leaders that I have reached, never tire from answering questions, no matter how trivial , or those repeated

TheFantasticPengua January 5th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Service leadership is all about serving others. An example I've seen this on with room supporters. They put people first and make sure everybody can get along and work well.

January 5th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

Great response!

CallumCares421 January 15th, 2023

@LlamaLizz

Hey bestieeeee :D

BenittaJ February 18th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

Claps Claps good work.

Heartsandrosesandpaws March 19th, 2023

@TheFantasticPengua

room supporters are a good example.

ItsMrEnigma March 27th, 2023

@Waterfallsofnature36

They contribute a lot!

patientShell1003 July 13th

Totally agree

CallumCares421 January 15th, 2023

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is in which the goal of the leader is to serve.

All good listeners are service leaders- nobody gets payed to do this amazing work. We do it because we truly love to serve- because we truly love the impact we make- and because we are making the world a better place one chat- one room at a time <3

NanditaB January 22nd, 2023

@CallumCares421 Nice answer I really liked it :)

purplelady568 January 26th, 2023

@CallumCares421 Yes! Great answer. I think it is important to remember that we are ALL volunteers, unpaid, serving and giving of our time.

kindJewel5362 February 8th, 2023

@CallumCares421

Agreed- unbelievable how no one one here is paid yet we still put in the time.

sunnySea4551 January 20th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

to help others in need. I like to do one one chats best

@sunnySea4551 Yes! I also enjoy 1:1 chats and have gotten to know some amazing peopel in my role as a listener.

NanditaB January 22nd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

In service leadership, the main goal of the leader is to serve other people. One example is Chatroom supporters and mentors.

@FrenchToastClub

To me, Servant leadership is to use your gifts and talents in a way that brings you joy, in order to serve others, wherever or however that might be. I have seen the chat moderators exemplify this as they volunteer their time and use their kind, welcoming words eachtime the chat rooms are open.

I have just been accepted into a forum supporter role, and I am excited to begin serving 7 cups in this way.

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

@purplelady568 What an absolutely beautiful answer! Well done! <3

purplelady568 February 14th, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant Thank you. You're so kind

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@purplelady568

i love your answer and couldn’t agree more. Ti me leadership is all about using my gifts and talents to bring me joy and serve others !

@SunLionheart - oh, thank you so much! That means a lot to me. I think it is going well so far.

kindJewel5362 February 8th, 2023

Service leadership is a great idea because it reminds people of the main reason why they decided to serve the organization- to keep the mission going. This also helps to prevent the more nefarious attributes of leadership and hierarchy eg. egotism, power plays, as it keeps self-serving tendencies at bay.

I am very impressed by the service leadership I have seen on here. Scores of volunteers dedicate their time to chat and moderate and to help newer listeners for no compensation.

JasmineFlower222 February 18th, 2023

@kindJewel5362 Wonderful response ❤️❤️❤️

YourCaringConfidant February 9th, 2023

Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I have said it many times and will say it many times more... the whole purpose and reason we, as humans, were put here is to service. We are to be a service to others and that is where true happiness is derived from. There are so many amazing leaders on the 7cup platform and I am grateful for all they contribute on here. They are selfless and think of others and that is just a beautiful thing.

@YourCaringConfidant excellent answer

YourCaringConfidant February 14th, 2023

@purplelady568 Aww, thank you so much! ♡

iPHOENIX February 23rd, 2023

@YourCaringConfidant That's a great way to be a leader :)

BenittaJ February 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Ans:

Service leaderships make sure work is done correctly. Ive seen a room supporter as soon as they enter the room the check on others if there any trouble in the room they take action within secs, sometimes they handle the room and make sure everyone gets their chance to be heard.

BenittaJ February 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Ans:

Service leaderships make sure work is done correctly. Ive seen a room supporter as soon as they enter the room the check on others if there any trouble in the room they take action within secs, sometimes they handle the room and make sure everyone gets their chance to be heard.

warmheartedpd1234 February 15th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub I think service leadership is an important concept that emphasizes the importance of leading with a focus on service to others. This approach can be effective in building trust, inspiring others, and creating positive change in communities. One example of service leadership I have seen on 7 Cups is the work of our listeners, who provide emotional support to those in need. They demonstrate service leadership by putting the needs of others first, listening with empathy and compassion, and working to help those they are supporting to find solutions to their problems. I encourage you to continue exploring the concept of service leadership and how it can be applied in your own life. By leading with a focus on service to others, you can make a positive impact on those around you and help to create a more compassionate and supportive community.

jasishereforallofu February 17th, 2023

@warmheartedpd1234 Good answer 😊

jasishereforallofu February 17th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub ✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

A servant leader shares power, puts the needs of the member first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible. Instead of the people working to serve the leader, the leader exists to serve the people. ❤️
vivelespatates March 11th, 2023

@jasmineishereforu absolutely, you are right there!

JasmineFlower222 February 18th, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Service leadership is a huge part of 7 cups and it's how 7 cups runs. Mods are an example of service leadership

Mitanshi003 February 22nd, 2023

@JasmineFlower222

Indeed, Mods are a good example of Service Leadership.

Mitanshi003 February 22nd, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Service leadership is a leadership style to prioritize others before your interests and desires. It is a way to utilize the gift of "giving" and your potential. I believe that the role of Peer Support is one of the roles that fall under Service Leadership.

🌺🌺🌺

iPHOENIX February 23rd, 2023

As the word says, the leader is there to serve.

For example, mentors are there to help listeners with their doubts and provide the necessary links so they can grow.

EnigmaticCat24 March 1st, 2023

@iPHOENIX

Great answers

EnigmaticCat24 March 1st, 2023

@FrenchToastClub

Service leadership is putting other's needs first and serving them. It's really selfless concept and I think 7 cups community is working according to that concept.

All volunteer listeners, moderators, room supporters, peer supporters etc.. Are examples for service leaders.