Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 3, Discussion 1: Service Leadership at 7 Cups

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

The term Service leadership (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in which the main goal of the leader is to serve). Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

We've long said that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually you'll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

Service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Don't take on more than you are able. If you don't have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters!

If you'd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If you're not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

LoveMyMoonflowers September 23rd, 2023

@pandanfe

I really liked your response! 💙

LightsFromDark September 11th, 2023

The amazing idea is all about supporting others. I've seen it in support rooms, mostly, group chats.

LoveMyMoonflowers September 23rd, 2023
✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is where the main goal of the leader is to serve others. They focus on listening and understanding others 💛 I’ve seen a lot of service leadership in the teenie chatrooms 💛
NewYorker11 January 8th

@LoveMyMoonflowers

very nice and direct response to the question at hand, you very much know the definition of service leadership!

LoveMyMoonflowers January 9th

@NewYorker11

thank you so much! (: 

LOOPHOLE October 5th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Ans:- It's an excellent way of helping people without being the centre of attention , which is excellent for introverts like me .

The one person who comes to my mind whom I remember here is @Jenna , they are gem of a person .

bestBraveheart57 October 11th, 2023

@LOOPHOLE

Hi, Loop. I'm glad you feel service leadership is a good fit for you. See you at the top!

bestBraveheart57 October 11th, 2023

@FrenchToast

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is leadership that aims to serve others for the success of joint projects in a team or community. For example, Mentor.

Grace3012 October 21st, 2023

@bestBraveheart57

Amazing 

Grace3012 October 21st, 2023

@FrenchToast

Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is mostly for how u lead the team , the whole community even when you are not getting paid to do it. The passion in you , the whole force that drives u to do all this is amazing and that's service leadership. Here the chatroom mentors and all , they alll work without any payment but still are so passionate 

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@Grace3012 Awesome points Grace! You're great! :D

ChillingRain November 10th, 2023

@FrenchToast 

The concept of service leadership is a powerful and inclusive approach to leadership. It goes beyond traditional notions of leadership by recognizing and valuing various contributions within the community. The emphasis on self-care and the idea that every form of contribution is important reflects a community-oriented mindset.

One remarkable example of service leadership I've witnessed on 7 Cups is the dedication of some listeners to creating and organizing community-based initiatives. For instance, there are those who take the lead in arranging discussion forums, or outreach programs aimed at addressing specific needs or topics within the community. 

8grim8 November 11th, 2023

@FrenchToast

✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I guess that in a way we all work to serve, and it can be considered an act of loyalty to others and yourself too. It also can mean that we are all equal and that leadership should be about benefiting more than just yourself

As an example, room supporters, as well as other volunteerers on 7cups count as service leadership here.

WeEarth November 17th, 2023

@FrenchToast

🖋️ Service leadership is like being a conductor of positivity. It's not just about leading; it's about orchestrating a symphony of support and kindness.

🖋️ On 7 Cups, I've seen service leadership shine through the quiet power of those who make the community feel like a cozy, virtual home. They're the architects of a warm and welcoming space.

Your uniqueness adds vibrant colors to this canvas of service. Keep being the creative sparks that make 7 Cups a brighter place! 🌟

Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@WeEarth I really love this response 🌟

Shannon1996 November 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is "in which the goal of the leader is to serve". And I think it's an incredibly important aspect of 7 Cups.

I think every listener here is an example of service leadership on 7 Cups. We all sit and give our time to listen to members, because we want to serve them and help them. We want to make a difference, one chat at a time.

ABrightBlueHeart December 3rd, 2023

@Shannon1996

Well put! I agree, sincere listeners on 7Cups are great examples of service leadership :)

Comfortablesmile December 10th, 2023

@ABrightBlueHeart i also agree with you 

@FrenchToast

✒️ Question: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

Service leadership is one of the most essential but often overlooked approaches to leadership. We often equate leadership to the typical 'hero leadership', where a single person brings about a large-scale transformation. This largely unrealistic image often makes leadership feel inaccessible to most people out there. 
Service leadership, on the other hand, is empowering. It simplifies being a leader and makes it far more achievable. And sure, maybe our actions won't be made into ballads or poems, but that was never the purpose anyway. The purpose of leadership is to make positive things happen, to trigger growth (both in self and others), and watch with immense satisfaction as the seeds we sow blossom into beautiful flowers :)

@ABrightBlueHeart

Example of service leadership here on 7Cups: the mentors. They put in so much effort to ensure the trainees stay on track!

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@ABrightBlueHeart

Your answer is very elaborative and analytical. I like how you have diverse perspectives on these points! Keep the amazing work up! 😊💖

~ Xaverie

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@FrenchToast

i love the idea of service leadership.  For me, service leadership is about using my gifts and talents to bring me joy and be of service just like I read in a comment earlier. I also believe that service leadership should be for fun and for free.

Kristynsmama December 3rd, 2023

@frenchtoast

oops I hit return too soon.  I believe that the chatroom mentors, peer supporters, forum supporters, etc…. All exhibit service leadership.  Service is the heartbeat of being in a leadership role here at 7 cups!

Comfortablesmile December 10th, 2023

For me service leadership is all about bringing out your time to offer a particular service that will make the world a better place. 

One example is being a learner here at 7 cups. It's not easy at all. Shout out to all listeners, you guys are doing a great job!

crypticwhisperss1 December 16th, 2023

@FrenchToast

I think the idea of service leadership is fantastic! It's all about leading by serving others and putting their needs first. It's a powerful approach that focuses on making a positive impact and creating meaningful change in people's lives.

Let me share an inspiring example of service leadership from 7 Cups! We have these amazing individuals called Room Supporters. These are dedicated volunteers who generously contribute their time and energy to create safe and supportive spaces within specific chat rooms.

These Room Supporters go the extra mile to ensure that everyone feels welcomed, understood, and supported. They actively engage in conversations, offering a listening ear and providing guidance when needed. What sets them apart is their genuine care and compassion for the well-being of the members they interact with.

They create a sense of community and belonging, making sure that everyone's voice is heard and respected. Their selfless dedication and service-oriented mindset truly make a difference in the lives of those seeking support on 7 Cups.

By being a listener, I am able to conclude that service leadership is not just a concept but a reality on this platform, thanks to the incredible Room Supporters who embody the spirit of serving others and making a positive impact. 😊💖✨

✒️Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

Done! 🌸

~ Xaverie

Rosey16 December 19th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Service leadership is where the goal of the leader is to serve. An example seen on 7Cups, are leaders which serve the subcommunity for example forum supporters and room supporters. They have the goal of serving the sub community. I like the idea of the leaders dedication to growth and putting the needs of their team members first.

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@Rosey16

I like how you have mentioned & acknowledged the sub-communities, that many service leaders contribute to!

CaringSub December 27th, 2023

@FrenchToast

I love the idea of service leadership! By spending time where one feels excited to contribute/support the community, is great benefit for everyone! 

Where I have seen service leadership presented have been with presence of Room Supporters &  Chat Room Supporters in various rooms. Their presence they provide have been so positive, supportive and empathetic to everyone in the rooms. They are amongst the many "heroes" of the community!

Soul576 December 28th, 2023

@CaringSub

It's so amazing that you're a part of our community, I'm so glad to have you here

Soul576 December 28th, 2023

@FrenchToast

Service leadership is when a leader puts other people before themselves when leading. This is hugely beneficial for a community, however it can be detrimental for the leaders mental health. A good example of service leadership at 7Cups would be room supporters and forum leaders

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@Soul576 fantastic idea

AwarmHEART January 2nd

@FrenchToastQuestion: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I believe that service leadership is serving others with respect as to lead a group or a community, respect for each other is crucial. The service leadership I have seen on here is room supporters. They need to balance the topics and listeners or memebers' interests.

Lillom January 2nd

Thanks for your input once again! Great to see your views to the question!

Lillom January 2nd

I think Service leadership where servicing comes first. An example seen on 7Cups, are listeners who commit to long-term weekly sessions with their members. They have the goal of serving the long-term needs of members, which creates trust between parties.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

NewYorker11 January 8th

@FrenchToast

in my opinion, the idea of service leadership is a compelling venture, especially on 7 Cups where there are many ways to be of service, while being helped (i.e. mentors). one example of service leadership i have seen on 7 Cups from myself, as well as other listeners, is when listeners feel comfortable doing 1 to 1 chats, they do so - if not, there are other options like community posts and group chats to take part in.

ReganL January 27th

@NewYorker11

Love It friend keep on going!

~ Regan

ReganL January 27th

@FrenchToast

For me it is the act of which a leader serves in their community such as 7 cups and has that goal to serve among their peers. A teen star/chatroom mentor is an example of this. 

~ Regan  

quietlistener2023 February 2nd

@ReganL  I think you summed it up nicely and explained it well.  Thank you and hope you will make a great leader

DanCat1128 January 29th

🐆 A leader leads from behind. A team is as strong as the weakest link. If there is a need in the community it's up to the leader to pick up the slack. 

🐆I see the leadership in cups as the mentors coach the listeners who need help with their core 4 values. 

Tagging @daf8 whose helped me out along with many other listeners!!! 

@dreamicicle8467

Thank you for showing others how to be a better listener!!!!

quietlistener2023 February 2nd

@FrenchToast service leadership is the leader serving the community.  This is true leadership.  Forum supporters, mentors, and so forth forth are all types of leaders who serve the community on the website