Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 3: High Expectations and High Warmth

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Congrats! You made it the second course in the LDP! In this course, we focus on the specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, stress management and empowering new leaders.

I know if you are here, you have read our values and culture guide. I would like to start off by further emphasizing one value that's required for a leader to be successful here, and that is balancing High Expectations & High Warmth.

Work environments with high expectations and minimal warmth tend to result in companies that are very driven, rule-oriented and risk-averse. The people do not tend to grow as much personally or professionally. On the other hand, workplaces that are high in warmth, but have minimal expectations, tend to struggle. Everyone is happy and feels loved, but not a lot of effective or focused work gets done.

7 Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. We expect a lot from you. You might feel like we think you are more capable than other people have suggested or maybe even more capable than how you see yourself. That is okay. Every person on the team has outperformed and done better than they expected. This is largely because warmth, patience, and trust help people make much more progress than they have in other environments. We have high expectations, but we will provide plenty of encouragement and guidance to help you get there.

IFSmhW-7tJ06jVSSFjPpU6lBPHgstJGuSzOb1EwhlxL5PBl10BLdAQZnpz-LE1DH39mQ3_FlE43R2Mp6xB-EGhQjznBVfzds48MntP61npXSO1PD0l_bDlYaJVlid5dF1RIwA8sGML45k5fK2MeEmMA

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

quietlistener2023 January 22nd

@FrenchToast I guess if I felt an imbalance of warmth and expectations I would not be inspired to work to the best of my ability

Having low warmth and expectations might affect the community making it a community that does not feel loved, valued or accepted and is only working to achieve goals.  I imagine it soul result in less satisfaction, underachieving and not an environment that encourages growth

It would also affect how leaders get on together because they might not feel supported, valued or have a good relationship with others 

safetysource12 January 22nd

Hi @quietlistener2023

That's great to hear. You got this!

safetysource12 January 22nd

Hi @FrenchToast

An imbalance between high expectations and a lack of warmth in a 7 Cups leader may lead to reduced engagement, lower morale, and increased stress among team members, undermining the organization's mission of providing mental health support. To foster a healthy work environment, leaders should strike a balance by setting expectations while prioritizing empathy and emotional support.

Insufficient expectations and warmth in 7 Cups leadership may erode community trust and satisfaction, deterring those seeking support. Among fellow leaders, it could impede collaboration, hindering communication and shared goals, ultimately affecting the organization's overall effectiveness.

SilverSeastar January 30th

@safetysource12 Hello, Source,

Such detailed and effective answers. 🌟 You're doing amazingly!

wonderousLove3994 February 17th

@safetysource12
Sounds very reasonable

SilverSeastar January 30th
✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?
The productivity and quality of my team's work would be suboptimal.
✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community and 2.) how you work with your fellow leaders?
  1. Too low of expectations: the objectives and key results (OKRs) of the community would be more difficult to achieve.
    Too little warmth: the people would feel less secure or cared for, leading to more hesitance to take risks and grow personally and professionally.
  2. Too low of expectations: it would be more difficult to do focused and effective work in the team.
    Too little warmth: my fellow leaders would be hesitant to reach out to me when they have doubts or need support.
serenePeace3726 February 2nd

@SilverSeastar I really like how you laid that all out. I do think keeping expectations and warmth in balance can be challenging, but it is essential for a healthy supportive environment.

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@serenePeace3726 very good good job

serenePeace3726 February 2nd

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? if you have an imbalance you will be a less impactful leader. You will either be hard to approach or you won't expect enough from those you are leading. 

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?I think having low expectations is problematic because people need clear concise expectations. And if you're expectations are too low they are not going to be doing their job effectively. Regarding warmth if you have two little warmth you're going to be seen as unapproachable and maybe even unkind.

daydreammemories March 12th

@serenePeace3726

Nicely put : )

wonderousLove3994 February 17th

@FrenchToast

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?
By time I will tend to have a some sort of disappointment that will eventually lead to a burnout.

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?
Experiencing burnout, of course, will impact the person and the weather of the person will change and by bringing a tough weather to the community or the other leaders they will be disturbed as well.

Countrygirl095 February 19th

@FrenchToastWhat do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? Here's my answers to both questions 1 And 2 sorry I couldn't better organize them. I use accessibility because my condition doesn't allow me to type. As much.Having an imbalance of expectations and warmth as a leader can have negative consequences both for the team and for one's own work with fellow leaders. When there is a lack of warmth accompanied by high expectations, the team's productivity can be hindered. The leader may appear unwelcoming and unapproachable, as the limited warmth is overshadowed by a demand for what the leader expects. This can create a perception that the task is perceived as a chore.

On the other hand, having too low of expectations or too little warmth can have detrimental effects on both the community and working relationships. If a leader has too low of expectations, the team's motivation may be reduced, leading to a decrease in productivity and effectiveness. The lack of encouragement or support can also hinder the team's progress. Additionally, a leader with low expectations may come across as unapproachable, discouraging open communication and collaboration within the community.

Similarly, too little warmth can impact a leader's ability to work effectively with fellow leaders. A leader who lacks warmth may struggle to establish rapport and trust, hindering collaboration and the ability to lean on each other for support. The lack of empathy and understanding can make working with other leaders less enjoyable and more challenging.

In conclusion, both having too high of expectations and too little warmth can have detrimental effects on the team and its productivity. A leader's ability to foster a warm and inclusive environment, while also setting realistic expectations and providing support, is crucial for creating a positive and productive team. Striking the right balance between the two is essential for fostering effective communication and collaboration within the team, as well as fostering positive relationships with fellow leaders.
ChromaticFinss February 20th

@StompingOnCP kudos to the detailed perspective !😊

ChromaticFinss February 20th

1. Having imbalance between expectations and warmth will result in compromising either personal growth or organisation successs.

2. If I have too little warmth that will result in teammates finding me as unapproachable. This will affect the smooth communication and personal growth of people involved. If I have too little expectations that will affect reaching the goals and minimise the successful outcome.

Snowy00 February 21st

@ChromaticFinss

Yes!! 👏 Low Warmth and Low Expectations can be the downfall of a company. I love how this site has both high expectations and high warmth.

You've got this Fins! 💪 I'm so proud of you 💗

Snowy00 February 21st

@FrenchToast

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

I think having an imbalance of expectations and warmth can cause a whole host of problems. With let's say a low warmth and high expectations, others can feel like I am mean or I don't care and I am expecting way too much of them. It could make it to where people don't necessarily want to talk to me, because they might feel unheard or like I don't care that my high expectations are causing them stress, because I have low warmth. That in turn, could cause a decrease in productivity and effectiveness, and it can be like an avalanche spreading from one person to the next. It could cause people to avoid me.
With high warmth yet low expectations, people might feel like yes they can come to me, however they would feel like they could get away with just barely skating by the requirements, or not even fulfilling them. Sometimes, while I might have high warmth, it could still make someone feel like I'm not encouraging them to be the best that they can because I have such low expectations. High warmth/Low Expectations doesn't encourage anyone to be the best they can and look for ways to improve themselves. This way of being could also affect the productivity and effectiveness of a team.

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Too low of expectations can cause the community to falter or sit at a standstill. No one would be pushing themselves to improve or come up with new and creative ideas. It's like they would become stagnant. Low expectations can cause some to become lazy, which would cause problems working with others.
Too low of warmth has a huge impact on the community. It can cause people to feel unheard and misunderstood. It can make people feel like no one cares. It would cause this whole community to fall apart. It can cause people to think "Oh I can't go to her/him because they don't care". It would leave someone as "unapproachable". It affects working with others, because that low warmth person can be seen as hard to get along with, or that they just don't seem to care enough. Low warmth and low expectations would be the demise of any company.

I will reply to one of my peers after posting this discussion.

calmstrawberry0608 February 25th

Love your points mentioned in the second question!

JustSophia March 1st

@KaylaMaulfairI

I always appreciate reading your ideas, Kayla.  You clearly think a lot about these topics, and you've given me some additional things to think about. Thank you!

4Jasmine February 25th

@FrenchToast

If I, as a 7 Cups leader, have a lack of balance in either expectations or warmth, there is less positive progress in our environment. Too low expectations or too little warmth will negatively impact the community and my fellow leaders. 

calmstrawberry0608 February 25th

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

Having an imbalance of expectations and warmth will cause stress and tension to the workspace overall. An unwelcoming environment decreases productivity, motivation, and harms others' self esteem as their confidence and passion will slip away. 

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Having little expectations will prevent the community from growing together because there is nothing keeping them in check. Similarly, with fellow leaders, lowered expectations allow wiggle room for cheating/slacking off. Having too little warmth on the other hand will break the community and fellow leaders' teamwork. The sense of togetherness will dissipate.

sky2Ocean20 March 6th

@calmstrawberry0608

agree. I have similar thoughts about it. Boosting self-esteem and morale is important to maintain high warmth and expectation. 💖

4Jasmine February 29th

@FrenchToast

If there is an imbalance of expectations or warmth as a 7 Cups leader, there would be little effective, focused work able to be done or there would be a rule oriented, driven environment that is adverse to risk. 

4Jasmine February 29th

@FrenchToast

Having too low expectations or too little warmth will impact: 

1) The community might be divided into two groups. Those with low expectations and those with too little warmth. A lack of balance and group consistency would negatively impact the effectiveness of 7 Cups leadership, which would negatively impact the entire community. It sounds like a total lack of balance and ultimate chaos. This would make 7 Cups leadership ineffective and the community possibly feel confused, conflicted and lacking trust in 7 Cups.

2) It would certainly my impact ability to work with my fellow leaders due to the sense of constant confusion, conflict and feeling of uncertainty and chaos. This would be a truly, terrible work environment! 

JustSophia March 1st

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

If I'm imbalanced toward expectations without enough warmth to accompany it, that may model an expectation that prioritizes results over people.  It may result in people feeling like I am unapproachable, unsupportive of growth and insensitive toward them as individuals. It may also result in a lot of stress as people try to meet the expectations without feeling like they have permission to care for themselves, or to be the type of person who is naturally more inclined to be patient toward others, to be expressive in being warm and embracing, and to focus more on people than on results (to offer broad generalizations).

If I'm imbalanced toward warmth without enough expectations (or clear expectations) to accompany it, it may seem like I am unapproachable for exactly the opposite reasons. It could send the message that I am unsupportive of ideas and high expectations, and that I am unapproachable and unaccepting of individuals who are naturally more inclined toward to be strategic and value problem-solving and critical thinking over outward expression of emotions (other very broad generalizations - don't take them too seriously).   It may result in unclear direction or confusion about what people are supposed to do, and inconsistent performance or results.

1. See above. 

2. An imbalance inspires less and offers less of a model to aspire to.  The more imbalanced someone is, the less people may want to follow them.

Ivy229 May 23rd

@JustSophia  Nicely put and I agree completely on the points you made in your post.

sky2Ocean20 March 6th

@FrenchToast

-> Expectations are the goals we set for ourselves and warmth is the fuel that makes us go further. without having the two in balance, leadership would not thrive for long. As a 7 Cups leader, if we find ourselves in a situation like this, we can surely reflect on the journey and find ourselves a spot where balance can be achieved. 

-> 1) The impact of low expectations or too little warmth in the community will lead to a motivation deficit and people looking for help will not find adequate support. It won't be reliable when they need it. 

-> 2) The impact of low expectations or too little warmth with fellow leaders will be not as efficient as it could be. Everyone tends to outperform and do their best when there is high warmth and expectation. so, basically, fellow leaders will lose the drive to make an effort. 

March 8th

@FrenchToast

If you have imbalance warmth and high expectations, then it will neither have a structure, and no reliability and safety.

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

There will be little growth, no change, and hardly any progress in a society with low expectations since money even if available cannot be utilised for higher standards where there are no high aspirations.

TheOnlyChresser March 8th

@brightLynx1428 True

TheOnlyChresser March 8th

It will create a bad/worse environment thereby a bad/worse community 

1. ✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

1. Community

1. Too little warmth:
    Too little warmth may create a feeling of coldness and/or not being welcomed, may make the members less engaged, may also contribute to a lack of trust and may make them feel less support and/or less valued

2. Too low 
    expectations: Too low expectations may result in a lack of accountability and standards and thereby may make the members less engaged

2. Leaders

1. Too little warmth:
    It can make a bad environment. So it can decrease teamwork.

. Too low expectations: Make the team less productive and less engaged in teamwork and may create a feeling of disinterest.
Renjik8013 March 29th

@TheOnlyChresser

I totally agree with your insights that the balance of expectations and warmth is necessary in every community, and good luck on your journey along 7 Cups!

PetiteSouris March 11th

@FrenchToast @hope @yourbuddy30

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? If a 7cups leader has an imbalance of expectations and warmth it may lead to the leader having zero productivity. The leader will not have the focus that is needed to lead a team. This leader may also create an unwelcoming for their respective team members. There will be less communication, miscommunication, or no communication. 

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders? I believe this question is related to the one above, so the response will be the same. See above for my response. 

⇢ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words! @theonlychresser, your reply to the question has many great points regarding low expectations and little warmth in a work environment. I particularly admired that you included that people may lack accountability which is very important. Hope the rest of the LDProgram goes well for you. 

✨❃♡❃❀♥️❀❃♡❃✨

daydreammemories March 12th

@FrenchToast

the harmony of the system will be flawed 

the community will either be too cold hearted or too insufficient

Renjik8013 March 29th

It can have a negative impact on the community and the way they work with fellow leaders. If a leader has too high of expectations and little warmth, they may come across as cold or unapproachable, which can discourage members and other leaders. On the other hand, leaders with too low of expectations and too much warmth, may seen as not taking their role seriously enough. 

1) The community will be in a state of both inefficient and unapproachable, which may eventually lead to a state in which no one will like to approach each other.

2) There will be inefficient communication since everyone has little chance to talk with each other.

Mik00l April 11th

@Renjik8013
i cant agree with you more!!
An imbalance of expectations and warmth as a 7 Cups leader can make you seem unapproachable or not serious. This can lead to inefficiency, disconnect, and poor communication within the community and among fellow leaders.

Mik00l April 11th

@FrenchToast

Finding the right balance between expectations and warmth is crucial in mental health support. High expectations without warmth can create pressure, while low expectations with warmth may lack effectiveness. Strive for a balanced approach that encourages progress while providing empathy and understanding.

Having too low expectations or showing little warmth can
1- hinder community progress and support effectiveness.
Low Expectations: If expectations are too low, the community may not feel motivated or supported to make meaningful progress.
little Warmth: Insufficient warmth can create a cold or unwelcoming atmosphere.
2- It also impacts teamwork and collaboration among leaders, leading to mediocrity and communication barriers.
Low Expectations: lead to a lack of accountability and drive.
Little Warmth: teamwork would suffer.

@FrenchToast

I think it will have an effect not only on myself but on the entire team as well, it can make the leader seem like not much of a great leader to begin with. 

I believe the quality of the environment would change, not in a positive way. As a leader it is important to give off the right energy, and be very balanced.

Ivy229 May 23rd

@FrenchToast

For a 7 Cups leader, it’s important to strive for a balance of high warmth and high expectations, as this fosters a community that is both supportive and goal-oriented, aligning with the culture of trust and growth that 7 Cups aims to cultivate

For a 7 Cups leader, it's important to strive for a balance of both high warmth and high expectations, as this fosters a community that is both supportive and goal-oriented, aligns with the mission building trust and grown that 7 Cups aims to provide to members. 

Setting the right balance of expectations and demonstrating warmth are crucial for nurturing a vibrant community and effective leadership. They encourage active participation, foster trust, and promote a culture of excellence and innovation.

KristenHR May 31st

@Ivy229

I particularly love how you described that setting the right balance of expectations and demonstrating warmth are crucial for a vibrant community and effective leadership.  It's a great way to describe the positive benefits.

KristenHR May 31st

@FrenchToast

I think if I do not have a balance of expectations and warmth, my team will fall apart and there won't be a team.  Those on the team won't grow because I won't have invested in them in a good way or at all.  Maybe I would have expected too much but not given them encouragement or thank yous.  All of these fail the team members and make it a less than happy place to be.

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Low expectations will lead to an unmotivated community, or a community who doesn't care because there is no expectation.  I think that this would impact my work with fellow leaders in that there could be hard feelings in that I'm not pulling my weight or I'm undermining them with team members by not caring or having the same expectations.  I think it would make a lot of disillusionment even.

Having too little warmth, I think would lead to a community that is unhappy and feels used and not appreciated for what they do which is give of their time and energy. 

whattospeak June 27th

@KristenHR

Yes i agree