Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2, Discussion 3: High Expectations and High Warmth

FrenchToast December 5th, 2022

Congrats! You made it the second course in the LDP! In this course, we focus on the specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, stress management and empowering new leaders.

I know if you are here, you have read our values and culture guide. I would like to start off by further emphasizing one value that's required for a leader to be successful here, and that is balancing High Expectations & High Warmth.

Work environments with high expectations and minimal warmth tend to result in companies that are very driven, rule-oriented and risk-averse. The people do not tend to grow as much personally or professionally. On the other hand, workplaces that are high in warmth, but have minimal expectations, tend to struggle. Everyone is happy and feels loved, but not a lot of effective or focused work gets done.

7 Cups is high expectations AND high warmth. We expect a lot from you. You might feel like we think you are more capable than other people have suggested or maybe even more capable than how you see yourself. That is okay. Every person on the team has outperformed and done better than they expected. This is largely because warmth, patience, and trust help people make much more progress than they have in other environments. We have high expectations, but we will provide plenty of encouragement and guidance to help you get there.

IFSmhW-7tJ06jVSSFjPpU6lBPHgstJGuSzOb1EwhlxL5PBl10BLdAQZnpz-LE1DH39mQ3_FlE43R2Mp6xB-EGhQjznBVfzds48MntP61npXSO1PD0l_bDlYaJVlid5dF1RIwA8sGML45k5fK2MeEmMA

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here!

🔉This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program, find information on it here tinyurl.com/AcademyLDP

whimsicalCloud4661 June 18th

@FrenchToast

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth? 

An imbalance of expectations and warmth will make me an ineffective leader. If we are simply too demanding, we will be unable to keep a good working team.

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders? 

1. Having too low expectations will make the community unproductive, but having too little warmth will cause them to be resentful. 

2. Having too little expectations will once again make it hard to get anything done, but having too little warmth will make it hard to collaborate peacefully with each other.

patientShell1003 June 24th

@whimsicalCloud4661 Very good.

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

I will have dificulty to work well because I will have to work too much to satisfy others or the work will not be done.

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

1 The community will not have well services from us. 2- The work will not be done corectly.

✒️ Please reply to at least 1 of your peers in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

heathermarie95 August 22nd

@patientShell1003

i completely agree with you. well said! 

@whimsicalCloud4661 Very good.

whattospeak June 26th

@FrenchToast

Having an imbalance expectation and warmth can lead to unrealistic goals, low confidence, low performance, and can create horrible working flow for the team.

Low expectation and High warmth would lead to struggles if there is no clear directions or value on a project. Yet come to agreement of why there are delays and may continue with the struggle or quit.

High expectation and Low Warmth would lead to leads to distortions of individuals goals and can generate possible burnouts towards the community and the individual themselves.

Damonchandio July 17th

@casterDjack

That's a good answer

Cynthialy July 2nd

@FrenchToast I think having low expectations will cause too much conformity and a lack of motivation to achieve goals. People may even internalize that you don´t expect much from them cause they are not capable enough of being counterproductive. Low warmth may lead to burnout as individuals work hard but don´t get much reinforcement or constructive feedback to grow and enjoy their work, producing poorer results in the long run. 

@Cynthialy

You bring up some excellent points. Having low expectations can indeed lead to conformity and a lack of motivation, as people might not feel challenged or valued. It's crucial for everyone to feel that their potential is recognized and encouraged. Similarly, low warmth can lead to burnout, as the lack of reinforcement and constructive feedback can make the hard work feel unappreciated. Balancing high expectations with high warmth is key to fostering a supportive and productive environment where everyone can thrive. Thanks for sharing your insights!

@FrenchToast

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

If there's an imbalance of expectations and warmth, it can lead to significant issues. Too high expectations without warmth can create a stressful, unmotivating environment where people feel undervalued. Conversely, too much warmth without expectations can result in a lack of productivity and direction. Balancing both is crucial for fostering a supportive yet goal-oriented atmosphere.

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Having too low expectations can lead to stagnation within the community, as members might not feel challenged or motivated to improve. On the other hand, too little warmth can make the community feel unwelcoming and harsh, discouraging participation and growth. When working with fellow leaders, low expectations can hinder progress and innovation, while insufficient warmth can damage teamwork and morale. Balancing both ensures a thriving, collaborative environment.

Ivebutterfly July 11th

@wishfulForest1871 I agree with your points of expectations and warmth especially about harming innovation and participation in the community. I think both expectations and warmth is so vital to the community to have a supportive environment. 

Ivebutterfly July 11th

What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

I think that having less warmth and high expectations would lead to less empathy from listeners as if I lead by example and this passed on to other leaders it would lead to less sincerity with members and having worse quality chats as the focus would be more on the results than the members themselves.

I think having more warmth and less expectations would result in less being done as there is less of a deadlines so I feel like there would be less of a focus on time-management which would massively affect the community as a whole. 

How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

I think too low expectations will result in less timely responses with community and leaders and less communication of what should be done and when to other leaders resulting in more of a breakdown and people unsure of what they should be doing.

I think too low warmth will just make the whole community feel more insincere and allow more negative behaviours and less positive leadership styles and more burnout in the community as well as with yourself. The work would overall be less positive and I feel like that there would be more drama especially with fellow listeners. 

Noor511 July 29th

@Ivebutterfly completely agree 👍🏻

Damonchandio July 17th

@FrenchToast

If I have an imbalance of expectations and warmth, it can create issues. High expectations without warmth can lead to stress and too much warmth without expectations can result in a lack of progress.

Too low expectations can make the community stagnant and too little warmth can lead to a lack of trust and connection with fellow leaders. Both imbalances can hinder overall success and harmony.

CaringCompanion22 August 3rd

@Damonchandio

yes, agreed!!

Noor511 July 29th

@FrenchToast

✒️ What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

It can lead to less productivity from the whole team and might cause bad environment between the teammates 

✒️ How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

1) having too low expectation can make the teammates feels like they are incapable or not trusted enough to do the harder tasks 

2) a leader doesn't just represent himself as just him but as the whole leaders community his act will make you expect that other leaders are the same too 

hirai111 August 2nd

I agree with what you are saying!

hirai111 August 2nd

If a 7 Cups leader has an imbalance of expectations and warmth then it can cause an environment that doesn't have the support you need or it can also cause the trainees to not hold the right expectations and have accountability for their actions.

Too low expectations to the community would cause lack of motivation to drive the community, and also hinder progress by not knowing what to expect. Too little warmth in the community can cause a hostile, cold environment. Too low expectations impact how you work with your fellow leaders which leads to a lack-luster performance in work and limited progress. Too low warmth to your fellow leaders can negatively impact how people see you, which can affect teamwork.

LittleEggHarbor August 3rd

@FrenchToast

Ello :3

An imbalance of expectations and warmth in a 7 Cups leader can lead to a community that either feels overly pressured or neglected. High expectations without warmth can make members feel stressed and unsupported, while warmth without expectations can lead to complacency and lack of growth.

1. Impact on the Community: Too low expectations can result in a lack of motivation and engagement, causing members to feel unchallenged and disinterested. Too little warmth can create a cold, unwelcoming atmosphere, leading to decreased participation and a sense of disconnection among members.

2. Impact on Working with Fellow Leaders: Too low expectations can cause friction, as fellow leaders may feel that not enough is being done to drive the community forward. Too little warmth can strain relationships, making collaboration difficult and leading to a lack of trust and mutual support among leaders.

CaringCompanion22 August 3rd

@FrenchToast

if this is to the ones around me, it would affect their growth and motivation. Most likely a decline in both, the greater the imbalance. Also, it may affect myself too if my own perception of it becomes imbalanced. 

1. very little growth and community may not feel as welcomed as we wish. They may be less supportive of eachother as well and some may begin to feel lonely

2. little support and feedback given to know to go improve on oneself. Little warmth may lead to lack of respect or loss of confidence 

KindleMissie August 21st

@CaringCompanion22

Agreed 💯

twerp August 14th

@FrenchToast

I think If I were to realize I had an imbalance of expectations and warmth, I would reread our slideshow where it talks about the 7cups culture and rules.  Then I would take a break so I could get myself together and not bring unfriendliness and unwelcoming values to where I would be a leader. 

A imbalance of expectations and warmth would result in poor leadership skills within others in the community (in the chatrooms, forums, and in private messaging's) and within oneself by losing important leadership skills such as communication, fairness, and maturity.

KindleMissie August 21st

@FrenchToast

As a leader, having imbalance of expectations and warmth can bring many negative impacts on the environment of the workplace. 

1.) Having too low expectations or too little warmth can lead the community to resentment, lack of enthusiasm, aimlessly drifting, and disorganisation.

2.) Having to low expectations or too little warmth can lead to frustrations and burnouts with our fellow leaders. It can also results in poor performance, lack of accountability, and unproductive environment.

heathermarie95 August 22nd

1. What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

i am a leader with high expectations and a lack of warmth it can be stressful to be able to successful complete my job. I will feel like I'm not allowed to fail as a leader and that I have to be perfect. 

2. How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

if there is a lack of warmth and expectations, the team will have no motivation to do their duties. this can also lead to an unhealthy work environment 

Dorcas00 September 1st

@FrenchToast

1 What do you think happens if you, a 7 Cups leader, have an imbalance of expectations and warmth?

When a leader has an imbalance of expectations and warmth, it can affect their effectiveness and the team's morale in several ways

*It can create a stressful environment where team members feel pressured and unsupported.

*The lack of warmth may lead to reduced trust.Team members might feel that their contributions are undervalued or that they are merely being judged by their performance rather than supported and developed.

2 How do you think having too low of expectations, or too little warmth, will impact 1.) the community, and 2.) impact how you work with your fellow leaders?

Having low warmth and low expectations leads to lack of engagement and Poor performance 

As a leader, exhibiting both low warmth and low expectations can affect my interactions and relationships with other leaders leading to limited collaboration, diminished influence and negative perception about my ability as a leader 

Alambo905 September 6th

@Dorcas00

Indeed!

NeonDragon September 2nd

@FrenchToast

So, if my expectations are too low, the community might lose its spark. People might start to feel like there’s no real goal to work towards, and the vibe could just turn kind of “meh.” Without a challenge, folks might not feel as motivated to grow—or at least that’s how I see it.

But, if you’re all about expectations and forget to show some warmth, the community might not feel all that welcoming. It’s like being seen as someone just ticking boxes instead of a real person. I remember this movie where leaders treated their team like numbers, not names, and honestly, that just feels so wrong.

Impact on Fellow Leaders:

When it comes to other leaders, low expectations can lead to everyone just coasting along. If no one’s pushing for better, the whole team might not reach its full potential. It creates this vibe where doing just enough becomes the norm, which isn’t great for anyone, right?

And if there’s not enough warmth, working with other leaders can get a bit rough. People need to feel supported and understood, not just held to some standard. Without that warmth, collaboration might suffer, and communication could start feeling more like criticism than helpful feedback.

I really think it’s all about finding that balance. When you nail it, you end up with a community that’s both motivated and supportive, and a leadership team that really works well together!

Onyx000 September 5th

@NeonDragon I really like how you worded it, losing the  spark 🖤

Onyx000 September 5th

@FrenchToast

I feel like if it’s not balanced it’s hard to know what to expect, giving too much and not finding that balance can make you burn out and not have the balance instead of giving too much in one specific aspect then you won’t have the warmth for everyone else.

The community will not know what to expect from you as it can go from one way or the other and with leaders, it will make it hard to count on one another when it’s unreliable, like a teeter totter being fully one way or the other

@Onyx000

i really liked the similar you used in the last line. Very creative 😊

Alambo905 September 6th

@FrenchToast

As I understand, expectations helps set goals and take initiatives towards fulfilling it, while Warmth fosters a thriving environment for implementation, striking a balance between the both is crucial for the overall success.

If I as a leader fail to maintain balance between the both, then the resulting consequences would either be an underperforming team with no clear set guidelines due to lower expectations and higher warmth or a overpressured workforce who couldn't reach their full potential in a rigid environment caused by higher expectations and lower warmth.

Having too little expectations result in a lack of structure or clear defined goals leading to stagnation whereas, too little warmth makes the leader inapproachable for the community and fellow leaders.

@FrenchToast

Personally I think if a leader were to have an imbalance of expectations and warmth it would lead to the employees performing significantly lower than their fullest potential this is because the lack of expectations makes it hard for them to push their boundaries and try to make an effort and a lack of warmth can lead to them feeling stressed overwhelmed and eventually lead to them disliking 7 cups which would also lower their performance 

1. If we consider the community I would say that the lack of warmth would cause a distance in the community leading to separation. I also think the community would start to dislike the position. The lack of expectations would cause the community to not perform as well as they could because there is no one to nudge them in this direction to help them see their own capabilities.

2.  The fellow leaders would feel negative to work with someone who is not warm and this would affect these relationships negatively which isolates the individual. The lack of expectations can also lead to the same issue

LovelyKittyCat 2 days ago

@radiantUnicorn3506

These are great responses. You have to have warmth in this field. 

LovelyKittyCat 2 days ago

I won't be in the optimal setting to thrive as a leader on 7 Cups. 

1. If you have low expectations, you're not likely to advance or succeed in your endeavors and will probably not have the impact you desire on the 7 Cups community. 

2. Low expectations and little warmth will most likely lead to poor interpersonal relationships and teamwork. 

@FrenchToast

kabir22 7 hours ago

@LovelyKittyCat
Just wanted to give a shout-out to you! Your support is like the secret ingredient that makes our team’s efforts so effective and enjoyable. 

kabir22 7 hours ago

@FrenchToast

If a 7 Cups leader has an imbalance between expectations and warmth, it’s a bit like trying to cook a meal without the right recipe. Too many expectations without enough warmth might turn the atmosphere into a pressure cooker—lots of steam but not much appetite for the work. On the flip side, too much warmth with low expectations might feel like a cozy kitchen where nothing gets cooked—everyone’s happy, but we’re not really getting anywhere.

Impact on the Community: If expectations are too low or warmth is lacking, the community might feel like they’re in a lukewarm bath—nice, but not stimulating enough for real growth or change. Members might feel unsupported or uninspired, which can dampen their enthusiasm and engagement.

Impact on Fellow Leaders: Working with fellow leaders in such an environment could be like trying to row a boat with uneven paddles. Low expectations might lead to complacency, while high expectations without warmth could foster unnecessary stress and competition rather than teamwork and mutual support.